Old games you would like to see remade.

raz-0 said:
Well, remade, or revisited, but for technology reasons rather than just because you want a sequel. Things you really feel were good then, but would be even better with today's eye candy, physics, etc.

The top title I keep wishing would have another entry in the series is Syndicate. That game was fun with massive ammounts of stuff onscreen even back then, just think what you could do now with DX9/10 and physics processing.

Of course I think system shock needs to be revisited under dx10, and of course fallout needs another GOOD entry with modern graphics.

What are some of yours?
Ok, After reading your post, and without reading none of the others I am posting this.

I have always ansered the posts that asked what games you want to see remade with the Answer "Heretic". and I have to say once again I have the same answer even tho you are looking for a slightly differant view on this age old topic.

First I don't really like free for all frag fests, especially after Counter Strike came out. I played them back in the day, but I didn't play them alot, I was mainly a single player person when it came to First Person shooters. Heretic 2 came out and I bought it right away, H1 was awsome, and the move to the Quake engine made it even better, finally we had a Full 3d experience with Video Acceleration. After playing single player and beating the game I started trying out the Multiplayer. I was having a blast, not really sure what was differant but I liked it alot, and played it alot. If the sequal could capture that unknown and add to it better graphics I am sure it would be a hit.
One of the best part of the game was the Pheonix Bow, when you shot it a Pheonix would fly towards your taget and kill'em, it was a great effect. The second was the Morph Ovem, a device which turned your enemy into a Chicken, this was just plain fun, the enemy (or you if your at the other end of it) would run around and Peck your enemies to death if you werent killed. I am sure that with todays graphics these could be made even better looking and more fun!

My top five:
1. Riven
2. Doom 1
4. The 7th Guest
5. The 11th hour
6. Morrowind

I've wanted Riven in real time 3d since realMYST came out. Cyan Worlds is busy with Myst Online right now, so I doubt that I'll see it any time soon though...

might have posted on this thread some time back but dont really remmber,games i would like to be remade are:

- duke nukem 3d
- blood
- bioforge
- LBA 1+2

Id definitely like to see a remake of Master of Magic. I spent way too much time playing that one an old 486 lol. Id also like to see a remake of an old SSI game called Dungeon Hack. If anyone doesnt remember this, it was set up just like the old Eye of the Beholder games, but put your character in a randomly generated dungeon based on what settings you chose at the beginning.

I'd love to see Daggerfall remade. I know with the random generation, towns, dungeons and wilderness all looked pretty generic, since there were so many generated areas. I suppose that's realistic, because unless you know a forest real well, they all look pretty much the same, and one small town is pretty much like another. But more tilesets to for the random generation to piece together would help a lot. Take Oblivion's control scheme for combat, tweak it a bit, and it'd be perfect for all those hours underground. Definitely keep the music, just not in midi form, but actual orchestrated form. Even as midis, I still feel that Daggerfall music is some of the most mood-setting and atmospheric music I've heard in a game's soundtrack.

I know a Daggerfall remake has as much of a chance of happening as me winning the lottery for $200 million, so I'm glad I I'm not so addicted to purty new graphics that I can't enjoy it anymore.

A decent Road Rash remake would suit me very well, too, and it has more of a chance of happening since it would be more suited to mainstream. I am very partial to Road Rash 2 for some reason, so that would ultimately be my choice for a modern remake.

Deus Ex is another I'd like to see with a graphics update, but I guess I"d rather see a decent sequel. I don't really like FPS but Deus Ex had me hooked from the get-go. I've never seen such a bizarre, complicated plot that actually made sense. I liked the choices it presented in playing through; it wasn't a complete fragfest, though you could probably play it like that. Heck, I think I'll install it now, been a couple years since I last played through.

I've been primarily a console gamer my entire life so there's probably a lot of worthy PC games I'm just not thinking of.

alan.p said:
Impossible Mission 1 and 2 by Epyx. I spent years on those games, and never managed to finish it. I don't know anyone who finished it.

But I'd like to see a remake of it.

"Anozza visitor. Stay a while... staaaay foreeeeveeeeer!"
http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/visitor.au

http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/impmission.shtml - links for ROM and Emulator (untested by me).

I also vote for Impossible Mission series to be remade for the PC. I need to finish them, as well!

Some others I would love to see (mostly echoing what others have already stated):
SunDog: Frozen Legacy
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Privateer 1 and 2
Duke Nuken 3D
Space Quest series
Kings Quest series
Quest For Glory II: Trial By Fire
Quest For Glory III: Wages of War
Last Ninja series
Karateka
Hillsfar
Ultima IX
Infiltrator
Lords of Conquest
Altered Beast
Paradroid
Temple of Apshai Trilogy (the re-release)

To add another someone posted earlier: Mail Order Monsters. THE best game for the C64 evar! More linkage.

Crimson Skies (or just make it playable reliably on XP)
Populous
Dungeon Keeper

Age of wonders:shadow magic is a lot like the Masters of magic game and it's pretty fun to boot. (i still have the original MoM disk which surprisingly is still playable).
Colonization is a great grandfather to AoE3 imho but would be nice to see it remade. (Also still can play it as it's turn based)
Wouldn't mind seeing Sea rogue redone with modern technology. (very old game but was interesting at least to me)
I second dungeon keeper for being remade. I still am playing DK2, but wish the graphics were better..lol

Duke Nukem 3D
Doom 1 and 2
Unreal (the rest of the series are bombs)
Wolfenstien3D
Blood (definently was under-rated)
Red Alert

Super Metroid, Star Fox 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Hardcore Nintendo fan? You bet. Give me remakes of those 4 games and I'll be happy.

Back in the day we used to have fun playin Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Megadrive...they should remake it and beef the graphics up a bit..that'd be great

Duke Nukem 3D
Doom 1 and 2
Wolfenstien3D
Red Alert
My opinion of course, but I don't think Doom 1 and 2 qualify. Doom has already been remade, and classic versions of Doom run flawlessly under Windows if you use one of the various source ports that are available.

Wouldn't mind seeing Sea rogue redone with modern technology. (very old game but was interesting at least to me)

I'm glad you posted that. I'd never heard of it, but grabbed it last night and played until 2:30am. Good game! I miss the old days when games were complicated enough to need 160+ page instruction manuals.

Duke Nukem 3D
Doom 1 and 2
Wolfenstien3D
Red Alert

Doom 1 - knee deep in the dead (remade with Doom3 engine)

this mod kicks so much ass! I can't say enough good things about it.. from the music to the attention to detail.. all of the secrets are in it.. very cool!

also, for peeps who loved System Shock 2, that developer is releasing a new game this year called BioShock and it looks freakin' nice..

edit: I would love to see NOLF remade.. with like the Jupiter X engine or something. that game rocked!

I don't know if this one has been mentioned yet.

Rise of the Triads-

the excalibat was the shit

Might and Magic 3. Classic 6 person CRPG. It would be awesome to have it updated KOTOR style - with the turn-based pausing per attack or in real time if possible. None of the later ones in the series were as interesting as this one. The story line was awesome, too.

Or, Might and Magic II done in an action RPG format like Diablo II. It has like 10 different classes and 6 races. I could just see all the different armors, weapons and spells in my head, and the different alignment based gear that it had.

I loved these games. I got MM3 and performed my very first computer upgrade to play it. I put a SoundBlaster in my 386-SX. It was the shit. Later that same year I got a 14.4 modem so that I could download trainers off of DOS AOL LOL!

Actually, now that I think of it, I'd like to see a more successful remake of the Gold Box Games SSI made. They were D&D based, including a couple that had a Buck Rogers theme and used the appropriate system. You could spend hours and hours playing those, and there was a real tabletop D&D experience. The Atari games that have come out were buggy jokes. Baldur's Gate was all right but nowhere near as close to detail as titles like Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Matrix Cubed, etc. I haven't yet managed to get my hands on Neverwinter Nights but I suspect it's pretty good. I'd just like to see the basic concept of trying to recreate the tabletop game experience put as the primary concept above graphics, sound, etc.

Those too. Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades (played that on a C64 - Champions of Krynn, too!) and the Krynn series. Excellent gaming memories spring from your mention of those titles :)

Quest for Glory ftw.. I LOVED playing those old games. Shit, I miss the dry wit and fun I had playing them over and over. things never got old with the classes and switching it up. I think I liked part 4 the best.. never played 5, but always wanted to.. I need to find this game.

Meridian 59 (NearDeathStudios)
Zork Trilogy
Underlight (Lyra Studios)

Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor. Such pretty games... haven't been able to hunt down a copy since the 90s!

Ultima Underworld I and II!

Also, it would be nice to see a 1st person turnbased RPG engine with modern graphics that was designed to be diverse enough that it could be used as a shell to recreate all of the ancient turnbased RPGs with total graphical makeovers. (Wizardry I-VII, Might and Magic I-V, Gold Box games, etc.)

Syndicate was a great game, although I think I would be bored of that now.

X-Wing, TIE Figher and a multiplayer version of either that doesn't suck.

A 3D Space Quest!

C&C Renegade. Some bugs and graphics were the two major obstacles holding that game back. It still had a few thousand players 2 years after it's release, multiple total conversions and hundreds of detailed maps.

AvP!

Back