Old folder starting again, what's with multipliers

sandmanx

[H]F Junkie
I used to fold for a few years until I stopped around 2008 after the then new SMP core crashed left and right. I recently started folding again on a few machines, and the 2 machines that have submitted packets were showing scores of 800 PPD (a pentium D 3.4ghz) and 1800 PPD (a C2D, I didn't look at the speed), yet my score is only showing the default value of the WU. I'm just trying to figure out why the clients are reporting a much high PPD total than I'm getting credit for.

In any case, I added these machines in the past couple of days, with a claimed combined point total of around 6000 PPD:

3 C2D machines in the low 2GHz range
1 i5 laptop with 2 cores and 4 threads
1 Pentium D

I'm thinking the Pentium D and older aren't even worth bothering to fold on at this point. The landscape sure has changed a lot since 2 million points got you in the top 40 on this team.

Welcome back to folding. :)

I will let the gurus talk abt the rest of the new stuff going on in folding world.

You must report 10 WU with a passkey in order to recive to bonus points.

The P4 is not worth it.
Be careful with the laptops, make sure they do not overheat.

Welcome back.

What he said. Although I still fold on relatively old hardware, probably older than your Pentium Ds. Nothing wrong with the Uni units. :)

What he said. Although I still fold on relatively old hardware, probably older than your Pentium Ds. Nothing wrong with the Uni units. :)

All depends on the power bill.

I would rather some one fold for years with optimized hardware than 2 months, get their power bill, freak out and quit.

True though I don't think I notice a difference when I'm folding on just the dual socket system in the garage. I'm not even sure what kind of Watts it draws, probably not very much if I were to guess.

You must report 10 WU with a passkey in order to recive to bonus points.

The P4 is not worth it.
Be careful with the laptops, make sure they do not overheat.

Welcome back.

Thanks, I registered my passkey now. It's too bad that what I have a lot of at my disposal are P4s and Pentium Ds. I'll keep the Pentium D running only because it's on all the time anyways, and it will soon be retired for a Q6700.

I'm not worried about this laptop overheating, it's only drawing 15 watts under full load. It's a 1.6Ghz i5 turboed right around 2Ghz, and it's not even hot to the touch.

I have about 40 P4s and 15 Atoms, but I'm not even going to try. Most are not on all day anyways, and it's not worth asking for access to use them, even though I know it wouldn't be a problem with my management at all. I've had enough blown caps on these machines under 0% load. Besides, the next round of upgrades will probably be Core 2 or higher, then I'll worry about it then.

All depends on the power bill.

I would rather some one fold for years with optimized hardware than 2 months, get their power bill, freak out and quit.

The power bill is the reason I don't bother folding with my Q6600 desktop. It's not that much extra to keep it running, but at this time I'd rather have lower power draw and toss that $15-20 a month towards my mortgage. I'll be upgrading it to ivy bridge soon anyways, then I may start folding with my desktop if I can keep the power draw somewhat low. Then I could give upgrade my parents E6300 to the Q6600 and fold in it since they always leave the machine up anyways.

With the way the points system is set up.

Running one single very powerful box far outdoes many single and dual core systems.

This is why so many of us are running 48 core 4 proc AMD G34 rigs.

If they aren't running 24/7, probably wouldn't be worth it in a sense that they probably wouldn't complete the WUs in time. It takes my two processors over a day to complete a single WU for a messily ~200PPD

Back