Old big computer speakers SoundForce [email protected] $8.48, $13.88, $21.80

hardware_failure

[H]ard|Gawd
$6.95 flat standard shipping

parts-express.com has "buyout specials" (clearance basically) on some very old computer speakers. (as in from the mid 90's old)

The 3 models that appear to be any good are:
"Sound Force 515 Powered Computer Speaker Pair" $8.48
"Sound Force 680 Powered Computer Speaker Pair" $13.88
"Sound Force 800 2.1 Computer Multimedia Speaker System with Subwoofer" $21.80

These models have been on clearance for over a month. There are also other models that are even cheaper but they do not come with an AC adapter (thus being pointless value wised)

Yes, these speakers are indeed "butt-ugly" by today's standard. They are the mid 90's beige standard vs today's black standard.

The reason I am posting this is I actually ordered some (one of each of said posted models) and I can report on the sound that they put out... and its ALOT.

The unit with the subwoofer blows away the the 3 different Logitech units that I have bought for $50+ over the years. I currently have them on my TV in the bedroom and they are crazy loud with big bass, a bit overkill (but sound good) I have the set located behind the TV so they dont look stupid. There is a ~3" clearance underneath the bottom of the TV in which the left/right speakers broadcast out quite cleanly.

The 680 model is HUGE. In the pic they look like normal old skool computer speakers but the specs dont say (or I overlooked) the fact that they are like 1 foot tall.. They are LOUD and seem to have a very wide range.

The 515 unit is a bit less impressive but still easily 3x as loud and robust range wise for any other sub 9$ speakers I have seen (well, heard)

Anyway, just wanted to share for anyone that was interested in speakers that are a ton of sound for a small amount of money, and didnt care about aesthetics.

Standard shipping is a flat $6.95, free over $100. If ordering just say 1x 515 unit, this makes it not really a deal. If just 1x "800" unit (the one with the sub) thats 28.75 (21.80 + 6.95) for speakers that sound like they easily cost $50+ (but look like they have been in storage for 20 years, heh)

Coupons:

Save $5 Off $75+ LP15SAVE
Save $10 Off $100+ 2015BF10
Save $10 Off $150+ CJ15Q34
Save $15 Off $200+ CJQ342
Save $25 Off $250+ 2015BF25
Save $50 Off $500+ 2015BF50

Note: I am not affiliated with parts-express at all. Im just mentioning these items as I was blown away with how good they sound for the clearance prices, and again I did actually buy each of them.

a male RCA (to tv stereo out) -> female 2.5" adapter + 2.5" male to 2x female splitters to soundforge 800 model + sound 680 model could be had for like $33 (or at least under ~$35) It would only be stereo (not 5.1 or anything) but it would be loud as f*** and from what I have heard have a decent range.

All of this would be a laughing joke for an audiophile but for the average home user would equal the same wall thumping bang as something that costs 3-10x as much.

+1!

All speakers used to be beige! These would be good for your retro system with original sound blaster.
Yup, all everything (home computer based) used to be beige. Funny how when we see something beige we cringe.

"why you gotta pull the beige card man"

Yeah they are ugly. I mentioned it my original long winded post. They do sound good tho.

A can of spray paint can fix the ugly.

I had that 2.1 setup in the late 90's. It indeed was loud. Sound quality was damn good too. I think I still have the sub somewhere.

N e w A e s t h e t i c

Dwh42zl.jpg

Beige white is the new black! :D

Seriously, I think we had some of these in the computer lab back in the 1990s. Anyone looking at logitech/klipsch/corsair/etc computer speakers could probably buy these and get the same or better sound while saving a nice wad of cash.

Guys guys, it was called "IBM Beige" :)

Parts Express is a great company, been buying shit from for probably 20 years now. Even saved their old ass catalogs so I have the Theil-Small parameters for all the old speaker drivers.

I'm wondering if the line out for the 680 is volume adjusted...I'm thinking it would have to be in order for a sub to work. So that means you could daisy chain these and just change the volume on the master...Might be pretty awesome for garage or workshop.

What do the 680's look like behind the speaker grill? Says the grill is removable.

(but look like they have been in storage for 20 years, heh)

That's probably because they HAVE been in storage for 20 years. :D

With that being said I'm tempted to grab the 2.1 set for the garage... I've been eyeballing some cheap bookshelf units and a T-amp but this might work out better.

I'm wondering if the line out for the 680 is volume adjusted...I'm thinking it would have to be in order for a sub to work. So that means you could daisy chain these and just change the volume on the master...Might be pretty awesome for garage or workshop.

What do the 680's look like behind the speaker grill? Says the grill is removable.
The 680's look like your standard speakers from the 90's - on steroids. The power brick weighs like 3lbs.
a0ib1z.jpg

14dfwnl.jpg

bhefs0.jpg

That's probably because they HAVE been in storage for 20 years. :D

With that being said I'm tempted to grab the 2.1 set for the garage... I've been eyeballing some cheap bookshelf units and a T-amp but this might work out better.
Indeed they have. 1997 for the 515 and 680, 1996 on the 800 (thew the box away)
xfpwkl.jpg

I have an internet-shopaholic confession to make. I bought 1x of the 800, 2x of the 680s and 4x of the 515's so they were $7.77 each vs $8.48. I added some other items I needed so I hit $100 and got $10 off and free shipping.

Its debatable which unit is the best value.. my thoughts:

I would say if buying just one unit, def the 800 2.1. (per paying shipping)

Even with the 4+ discount, the 680's are a better deal than the 515 @$13.88 vs $7.77. (their sound is just insane for discount computer speakers) They would be a perfect alternative to someone looking for a pair of value "bookshelf" speakers that also need a tuner/amp to function.

The one time that I personally would look at the 515's as an amazing deal is a small office environment - ordering 11x @ $7.07... subtotal $77.77 use code LP15SAVE for -5$, 6.95 shipping, total 79.72, 7.25 per unit. 11 of these, as ugly as they are, are fantastic for 7.25 each.

Ohhh crap, back to actually being on topic with the quoted post. I do have 2x 680 units. I could test how the line out functions if daisy chained if it really is a realistic buying consideration for you. (westrock2000)

I didnt even know about parts-express.com until I saw this post a while back, which is on belkin cat5e cables, also apparently on clearance from being in storage for over 10 years. (which I also went a bit crazy on :blush: )

Gotta bump this up so people know the 680's and 515's are still available.

I purchased two sets of the 680's and was surprised at how heavy the package was, somewhere in the 30 pound range. The speakers, as indicated above, are really quite large. They feel really solid and the weight makes you feel that you purchased a quality product, which honestly I didn't completely expect at the price I paid. I like how it has a gigantic power block with a two prong cord coming out of it so it won't clutter up your surge protector, which I don't think was really common at the time of construction (mid 90s). What it all comes down to though is how great the sound is and these things really fill up a room, I was shocked at how good they sounded and it's a nice bonus that you can adjust the bass and treble on the speakers themselves. The 3d sound isn't very good but if you leave it off the speakers themselves are great and can't be beaten at the price (and probably upward), highly recommended.

Thanks OP!

Thanks for the bump. I've been building a 5.1 system from the random speaker sets I have and have been looking for something cheap to use as a center channel. Hell I'm gonna order one of each set.

I bit on the 680s. been looking for something for my editing rig other than headphones. If these are as good as people are saying, I will be very happy

The most fun times I ever had in the computer modding/gaming facet of my life were on beige computers.

That said, I'm glad the standard is now black.

Just got mine in today.

515's are trash. Tons of line noise and distortion.

680's are actually surprisingly nice for $14. I wouldn't recommend them as an upgrade by any means but if you just want some speakers for your kitchen or garage then they do a great job. I didn't hear much if any line noise when they were powered on without an input. I think a huge advantage they have over a cheap Logitech set is that they actually have separate tweeters and woofers along with a port on the back to help give them a better range of frequency. They also seem to get fairly loud and still sound some what decent. I'll probably order another set.

Just got mine in today.

515's are trash. Tons of line noise and distortion.

680's are actually surprisingly nice for $14. I wouldn't recommend them as an upgrade by any means but if you just want some speakers for your kitchen or garage then they do a great job. I didn't hear much if any line noise when they were powered on without an input. I think a huge advantage they have over a cheap Logitech set is that they actually have separate tweeters and woofers along with a port on the back to help give them a better range of frequency. They also seem to get fairly loud and still sound some what decent. I'll probably order another set.

thanks for the review. Glad I got the 680s and not the 515s then.

How would one set up a 5.1 system with 680s? Can 5.1 be downmixed into quadraphonic somehow?

Where's the "Turbo" button on that computer? Or the speakers for that matter.

How would one set up a 5.1 system with 680s? Can 5.1 be downmixed into quadraphonic somehow?

Buy 3 sets(Front, rear, and center). Buy a subwoofer. Connect to your computer.

The Soundblaster software lets me choose which channels I want to use and mixes in the audio for what I don't have. So before I had it with just fronts and rears and center would be mixed into front left and right. I think you may be able to select which channels you want in Windows when you go through the configuration wizard for your playback device.

got my 680s today. the input jacks or cables are cheap and wiggling them causing the signal to drop. Once setup its fine though. They sounded like garbage at first then I realized bass and treble were down all the way. Setting base a little past half and treble to 100 and they sound pretty good! I actually think the 3d mode sounds great, though I dont notice a difference between 1 and 2 settings.

Hideous.... So hideous, in fact, that I am how having fits of beige diarrhea.

Though these remind me of my Dell p75t.... So nostalgic diarrhea.

I got a pair of the 680s. They sound pretty good and it's nice to have bass and treble controls right on the speaker. It's also nice not to have to find a place for a sub. They're quite large (dimensions are on the website) so make sure you have room.The connection between the two speakers will drop momentarily when I shift them around but once I got them where I wanted them it hasn't happened since. When I plug my headphones into the jack on the speaker, there is some hiss coming through that I don't get when I plug the phones into my case's jack. I did not notice any hiss or buzz at all when adjusting the volume control or the bass/treble controls. A terribly buzzy volume pot was the reason I got rid of my old speakers.

Overall, they're pretty good for the price. I mostly got them because I've been without speakers for over 2 years and I wanted some for the rare times that I need them.

Back