Okay Now What?

KillerButler

Limp Gawd
So read the FAQ and want to try this. I mainly want it for OS testing. What do I need and where to get it?

How are the OS's loaded? I love to learn so teach me your knowledge.

Install VMware server (recommend the 1x version), the OS's are installed via ISO's or actually media, and there you go.

So you install the Server and then the OS's afterwards? I am brain fried reading all the VMware info. Does VMware needs separate partitions for each OS loaded? Or does it just use the same partition as the VMware server?

If you're going with VMware Server (this also goes for Microsoft Virtual Server) you install either product just like an application. After installing it, you create new virtual machines which basically run inside the application. Each virtual machine has settings, where you can change "hardware" aspects of it. That's where you'll tell the virtual cd-rom of that virtual machine what to use for media which could be a .iso file or the actual physical cd-rom. Each virtual machine has a set of files to store the config and the virtual hard disk you create for it. So, say you create a virtual machine with a 40gb virtual hard disk, you'll have a 40gb file on your hard drive.

AH I see. I downloaded VMware Server. SO once the VMware server is set, is there a client software you need for each machine you are on. Also, Do you need a very big machine to run VMware. All i have is a P4 2.4A with 2GB ram and a 250 GB HD. Is that enough?

My laptop is a 1.5ghz Pentium M w/ 2gb of RAM. My host is Debian. I've been able to run 2 XP guests (256mb RAM each) and a Vista guest (512mb) simultaneously without issue. They were mostly idle when running, but they ran. The Vista guest was choking a bit...but whatever.

It was used during a training exercise to show the differences between one of our web apps when run on XP, XP with IE7 and Vista. Another great use for this technology..

That depends on what you're intending to do. For now it just sounds like you want to check it out, which is always a good place to start. In your case, I'd create the virtual machine with 1CPU and 512MB or 1GB of RAM, and a drive big enough to contain the OS installation and whatever programs you intend to run inside of there.

You shouldn't have any issues once you get VMWare Server installed. It may not click in your head how this all works (hell, it took me a good week to figure it all out) until you're actually sitting in front of the screen with VMWare Server installed. Regarding the specific version of VMWare Server, I would have to default to the recommendations of others as to which version you should be looking for, as my experience is definately (for the moment) confined to Workstation, ESXi and ESX.

Please chime back in after you get Server installed, if you're having any issues, or have additional comments/questions. Good luck!

It was used during a training exercise to show the differences between one of our web apps when run on XP, XP with IE7 and Vista. Another great use for this technology..

Another great usage story. My father-in-law has a work website that he has to use to check his e-mail and reports for the stores he manages. He got a new laptop last christmas, and of course, it was Vista. In Vista (and no, it wasn't browser version specific, it was indeed a Vista issue) the links on the website, once authenticated, wouldn't parse out properly, and they were told by corporate that they HAD to use IE. I installed an XP VM for him that launched IE and took him to the log in page, whenever he ran the VM, problem solved. I think he might have even kicked down $20 for making his life easier.

There's lots of good reasons to run VMs, and it will lead to a lot of creative solutions in IT, for sure.

I have installed VMWare server but I don't know what to do next, I opened VMWare Server home page but get this error: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

are you getting a certificate error? If you go the the IP in your browser, does it give you the option to continue to the website anyways, with a warning? What version of IE are you using to attempt to get to the VMWare Server IP? are you doing any creative subnetting or VLANs?

Update: Does it look like this?
certificate.jpg

I have installed VMWare server but I don't know what to do next, I opened VMWare Server home page but get this error: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Make sure VMWare Web Access service is started or restart it.

Just to add another edit: Also see if VMWare Host Agent is started. If it is, restart it.

I don't what is the problem really but now it is working already. I'm using Vista Business 64 btw.

At first I got the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error. Then I tried uninstalling it and reinstall it again but the problem remains.

Then I read somewhere about the IP, something about the hosts file in System32\drivers\etc\. I tried changing the hostname in "https://hostname:8333/ui/" with the IP in the hosts file.

After that I got this "Certificate Error" so I clicked "Continue to this website" but VMWare still doesn't start. I got the "503 service not found" error.

After that I edited the Hosts file and when I load "https://hostname:8333/ui/", I don't need to change the hostname with the IP anymore. However I still get the "503 service not found error".

I uninstalled the program again and install it again, now it works without a problem. I still get the "Certificate Error" but when I click "Continue to this website", I still get the login screen.

So read the FAQ and want to try this. I mainly want it for OS testing.

Since you already sound like you are started with this, you might as well keep plugging away at it, but for simple stuff like that I would recommend Sun's VirtualBox:
http://www.virtualbox.org/

That is what I run on my Mac for when I need Windows, but don't really want to boot camp in. I also have a DSL install I run through there sometimes that serves as a kind of a quick web test bed if I want to try something before I put it on the actual test server.

It is pretty simple to setup/run, well featured, and free.

EDIT: should have mentioned the free is for personal, though they also have an open version.

I run virtualbox on home machine P4 3.2 with 2 GB also. I had VMware server 1.x on for a while but it eat up to many resources. On your guest OS what is your IP address? Do you have the vmware tools installed? Going from memory, I think there are 3 options for ethernet connection for the guest OS: bridge, NAT, & host only. I always set mine to NAT

There's lots of good reasons to run VMs, and it will lead to a lot of creative solutions in IT, for sure.

You can say that again. I'm building an entire enterprise, virtualized, to sit in a rack.

We can roll out a hosting package to the customer ranging anywhere from 2 to 15 Dell boxes with ESX loaded, with about a dozen serves each from Redhat 4.7 to Windows Server 2008, all integrated in one rack and expandable out to 12. That's over 2000 servers distributed over a footprint of only12 racks! On the back end we're using Lefthand Networks VSAs for iSCSI storage for all the VMs based on what the ESX servers have left over from the VMs.

We're on the verge of integrating a virtual network architecture as well. We were looking at Vyatta, but then we found out Cisco partnered with VMware and they have an integrated solution rolling out this spring or summer. When that hits we'll be 100% virtual minus the trunk ports going to the 10G and 1GB interfaces on the Dells.

Whenever a customer wants a service we just ask them how much power they need and fire up an appliance and let VMotion do it's thing for auto-resource allocation based on what needs the customer specified. Yeah, it's pretty badass.

Back