Okay, new problem. Now Vista is not booting up in normal mode.

slyven

Limp Gawd
Hey. Now Vista is not even booting up normally. After the loading bar only a black screen is seen. I left it for like and hour and a half and nothing. Even the version info is not coming.

Now I just had to re-install windwos due to a small driver installation error (though it was working fine). Any help would be nice. Specs in Sig.

sounds like the known bsod (black screen of death) due to video drivers.

try booting into safe mode, uninstall the video device, boot into normal mode, install the video drivers then reboot to have access to full video range.....until you reboot again, at which point you'll have to go through that entire process over again.

If you have a black screen going into safe mode, heh, well, reformat.

Hmmm. BSOD. gonna try that.

EDit: hmm. When I uninstall the drivers and restarts it goes into windows. When I install the drivers and restart, it doesn't work. Sign.

heh ok, let's troubleshoot. What vid card do you have? (side bet on BFG or XFX as a brand)

I had that problem on installation, my solution was to remove one of the video cards until i got vista up & running.

After that i could reinstall the 2nd card, theres no SLI mode support in vista but at least it works with the other card in the machine.

squeezee said:
I had that problem on installation, my solution was to remove one of the video cards until i got vista up & running.

After that i could reinstall the 2nd card, theres no SLI mode support in vista but at least it works with the other card in the machine.

I had a non-SLI setup and was getting the error with my BFG card. After hours of forum trolling I discovered that pretty much most 7800/7900s with OCed specs have this issue(BFG, XFX etc), even with the newest nvidia drivers. Some people have gotten around it by flashing their cards' bios with an eVGA or other brand bios. Most people were able to fix the issue by installing a different card. I didn't have another card at home (PCIe, anyway) but this PC that I'm typing on at the office runs vista fine with it's 9800xt.

Also, if you read the release notes for the Nvidia driver you'll notice that they list one instance of this BSOD as a known issue with a date change fix, so try that as well (you have to go into the INF and change the release date up one day)

squeezee said:

Yeah I was playing around with the driver and I figured this out. You don't need to take out the card really, you just need to uninstall the driver. I am thinking this is a prolbem with not having my mobo drivers installed. The last config that worked, I had installed old x64 XP drivers for the mobo. It worked: It installed fine. So I think because I don't have the right Drivers for my mobo to support SLI.

I can't really install the Vista drivers because there are 4 unknow devices so I am not sure what is what. And my Sound Drivers are doing so well either.

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I was trying to get custom resolutions working on my fw900 and was messing around with the video drivers, and when I rebooted, black screen. Funny thing was that the login screen showed, and when I logged in, the screen saver worked as well. Tried uninstalling the vid drivers in safe mode, then re-installing in normal mode and they didn't want to install. I ended up using system restore and it worked perfectly. Use system restore to restore to a point when your vidcard worked fine and forget about the other changes you made since then.

I don't have Xfire or SLI, though. Running a BFG 6800NU, btw.

Kwincy
Vista x86

Okay. Now about those 4 unknown devices. Anyone else know how to install them? Anyone with and ASUS A8N-SLI who installed the vista x64 drivers? I am not sure what they are but I can't really do anything without help.

Status update: I have got my sound working fine now. I have also disabled one Video card. Hard drives and DVD drives working fine. Just thiese missing devices.

That's where you troubleshoot based on the fact you built the computer and should know everything that's in it. Take a look at what's listed in Device Manager, and compare that to the list of hardware in the computer. Whatever isn't listed still needs drivers.

Oh I know WHAT they are. They are all from the mobo. I know that. The Vista drivers has 4 things that require installing apart from Audio. However, in the install instructions list them WITH their names. They are simply listed as 4 unknown devices in my device manager so I don't know what goes where.

slyven said:
Oh I know WHAT they are. They are all from the mobo. I know that. The Vista drivers has 4 things that require installing apart from Audio. However, in the install instructions list them WITH their names. They are simply listed as 4 unknown devices in my device manager so I don't know what goes where.
Then you just have to try each one, until it fits, so to speak. It sounds like you are trying to do a manual driver install, so take the first device, and go down the list of the four drivers you have, until it accepts one.

tried that before. Each one fits at least 3 drivers. Yup. When I did it before I ended up with 3 RAID controllers.

Back