Okay...Here are the results of my XSPC Raystorm RX240 Extreme Kit installation

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
References:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1680769
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1685155
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1687729

I finished installing my XSPC Raystorm RX240 kit. Load temps went from 85(Corsair H100) to 73 degrees. I only used two gentle typhoons though(push configuration), I'll add two more for a push/pull configuration later.

This is a little gallery:

Corsair H100 removed

And put away for later use. I will use it for my QX9650 rig.

I used an unused PSU laying around for running the pump to fill the loop with the coolant.

This is the knife I used to cut the tubing! hehehehe

And this is the loop running and getting rid of air bubbles. You can see that the coolant is little whitish because of too much air bubbles.

The room was sure a mess:D Thanks God wife was away!

The loop finally inside my level 10 GT.

And I was barely able to fit the two Gentle Typhoons...My case wasn't big enough for this thick radiator I guess.

By the way my 2700k didn't exceed 52 degrees @ full load with the stock settings.

So what do you think? Any comments? Am I within the acceptable range of this Extreme kit performance?

I intend to remount the water block and use the cool silver thermal pad and see if that improves temps. Good or bad idea?

Before I go, I must say thanks to all those who helped in this. To name a few:

Tsumi, Skripka, JLangevin, and K1tty......

Last edited:
You're quite welcome, and good to see you have it all set up and running.

Yes, 52 degrees is acceptable, and is fairly good. Your ambients were around 25-30 C as I recall, so a 20-25 C delta is good.

With the RX radiator, I highly doubt you will get any noticeable gains with push/pull. Radiators that benefit from push/pull are high FPI radiators, and the RX is a very low FPI, so restriction against airflow is minimal.

Otherwise, looking good. 73 overclocked, you have some headroom for higher overclocks now.

Load temps went from 85(Corsair H100) to 73 degrees

Nice work!
This is pretty spot on to what I experienced. Be glad that the radiator fit! It's so thick, very few cases can fit it completely inside with push/pull fans. Your 2 Gentle Typhoons are probably on par with my 4 fans in push/pull. I really need to order 4 of those fans :)

What vcore are you using?

With the RX radiator, I highly doubt you will get any noticeable gains with push/pull. Radiators that benefit from push/pull are high FPI radiators, and the RX is a very low FPI, so restriction against airflow is minimal.

Hmmm, this is great to know! I may try taking my pull fans off and put them back in the front of the case :)

You're quite welcome, and good to see you have it all set up and running.

Yes, 52 degrees is acceptable, and is fairly good. Your ambients were around 25-30 C as I recall, so a 20-25 C delta is good.

Otherwise, looking good. 73 overclocked, you have some headroom for higher overclocks now.

Nice work!
This is pretty spot on to what I experienced. Be glad that the radiator fit! It's so thick, very few cases can fit it completely inside with push/pull fans. Your 2 Gentle Typhoons are probably on par with my 4 fans in push/pull. I really need to order 4 of those fans :)

What vcore are you using?

Hmmm, this is great to know! I may try taking my pull fans off and put them back in the front of the case :)

Congrats!

You know what guys? I was actually still expecting little more out of this extreme kit. But it is my ambient temp that is having the negative effect. The AC can solve this, but I hate to keep it on all the time.

Vcore is 1.4 volts.

I also just bought the same kit you did. They should be arriving on May 5th. I think I got the gist of what I have to do as I'm also knew to WC but I hope I can post my own pics and I'll take any advice as I'm working on it. Once I receive my parts I plan on streaming the first part of me working on it til I have to tear down my system and put all the water cooling stuff in.

I also just bought the same kit you did. They should be arriving on May 5th. I think I got the gist of what I have to do as I'm also knew to WC but I hope I can post my own pics and I'll take any advice as I'm working on it. Once I receive my parts I plan on streaming the first part of me working on it til I have to tear down my system and put all the water cooling stuff in.

I'll be glad to help.

Unfortunately, I can't achieve an overclock higher than 5.0 GHz. Temps still go crazy if Vcore goes > 1.4 volts. I can boot to 5.1 and 5.2 GHz no problem, but I just can't make them stable. 5.1 GHz won't be stable even @ 1.48. Temps reached 90 degrees @ 1.48 volts, so I figured I'll be satisfied with 5.0 GHz. Note: I didn't really bother with settings other than Vcore.

This is 5.0 GHz @ 1.44 Vcore for more stability :

Whopping 84 degrees! I enabled HT and upped Vcore to 1.44 and used the high settings in IBT, and the result is 9 degrees more at full load. Still normal with my kit?

By the way, does coolant type make a difference? And also, if I make a small AC blow cold air directly at the radiator, will that lower temps significantly ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Those temps look right considering your ambient temps and voltage.

My 920, increasing the voltage by .025 can increase temps by 5-7 C at the same clock speed, especially at the higher ranges.

Try increasing your QPI/VTT since you're running 4 RAM sticks. This might help lower your vcore.

I just saw this thread now, glad I could help, and good to see your new headroom regarding cooling!

Just out of curiosity since I haven't run IBT before, I gave it a run on my system with the same setting (2048 mb).

I'm getting 112GFlops on a 2500k @4.4. Are you possibly power throttling? Artifact of HT? Slower memory? I'm showing just under 120watts at load with coretemp.

i am buying the same case, and same XSPC kit

Can you tell me how close to your mobo it is? is it safe to have the radiator and fans that close or is it transferring heat to the mobo?

Back