Ok, what server should I go to...

I plan to stream to everything, including remote if possible. I understand Vail provides remote streaming.

I remember DPM being able to be used without domain. I believe its -primarily- for domains because you won't have a hassle of entering every user profile for the computers you want to back up for admin rights.

It's only 4 machines, so that's not an issue.

I plan to stream to everything, including remote if possible. I understand Vail provides remote streaming.

I'm curious... I'm using Vail now at home, and what's the difference between "remote streaming" and just SMB file shares? My crappy dual-core HTPC (E6300 I believe, but BIOS says it's 1.67GHz so it's even worse!) can barely play 1080p but I have an Atom D510 in the server... which should I offload the decoding to?

Last edited:
I haven't used it yet, but if "Remote Streaming" means what I think it does, it should mean you can access your media files from a distant computer over the internet. Kinda like a longer-distance version of DLNA.

I'm curious... I'm using Vail now at home, and what's the difference between "remote streaming" and just SMB file shares? My crappy dual-core HTPC (E6300 I believe, but BIOS says it's 1.67GHz so it's even worse!) can barely play 1080p but I have an Atom D510 in the server... which should I offload the decoding to?

2008 R2 installed, all updates installed. Need to get a driver for the secondary sata, after that I'll be on to the next step of this adventure :)

This is good stuff TechLarry. I'd love if you'd write up a report or something when you finish this adventure. :)

I'll be curious as to your final results as well. I've been thinking about moving on from WHS and was thinking server 2008 R2 as well just need something for streaming media.

For all those looking for streaming from Server 2008 who do not need to stream Windows Media Center (or are like me and trying to avoid it like the plague) take a look at this.

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

Alternatively if you do need to be able to stream to windows media center boxes just install the Windows Server desktop experience pack (found in the features menu of the server manager) which installs Windows Media Player (and basically turns your windows server 2008 box into a Windows 7 box. was setup for terminal services so people could have more of a desktop experience) which will allow you to stream to Media Center Extenders.

I was just going to do this. I think I'm going to start a new thread now that all the particulars are nailed down, and I know the path I'm going to take.

This is good stuff TechLarry. I'd love if you'd write up a report or something when you finish this adventure. :)

Back