Ok, weird situation. Please read and advise.

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I have currently 14 hard drives, Sata, in my current desktop. What I would like to do is move these drives all into another case that has its own PS so that all of those drives are out of my desktop.

So my plan would be to run longer sata cables from my desktop, run them to the back and have them plug into the HDD's in the other case. So all I would have in my desktop would be the SSD.

Is this remotely possible without looking crappy? Is there a case you might recommend I use?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
"Is this remotely possible without looking crappy? Is there a case you might recommend I use?"

This sounds like the worst idea since showing up to a high school party with a boner and sweatpants on.

I think you should buy a cheap second PC and run all the drives as NAS.

Would this work so that I use it as my primary desktop as well as storage for the HDD's?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147164

So you would be replacing your current case with this case then?

Cooling would probably not be so good for a machine that you game on, but otherwise it would work fine.

If you want an external enclosure for all your drives, what you want to get is a sas/sata expander enclosure and a sas/sata pcie card that has an external cable.

Then you only have one or two cables running from your machine to the external enclosure.

So you would be replacing your current case with this case then?

Cooling would probably not be so good for a machine that you game on, but otherwise it would work fine.

If you want an external enclosure for all your drives, what you want to get is a sas/sata expander enclosure and a sas/sata pcie card that has an external cable.

Then you only have one or two cables running from your machine to the external enclosure.

I have 14 drives currently. Could you recommend something for this type of setup?

Youll want to get that storage tower from addonics, having 14 drives in your main machine must make it hot ?
Could you sell the drives an replace them with fewer bigger drives?

I have 14 drives currently. Could you recommend something for this type of setup?
You could do one of these options which is more or less what cyclone3d described:
http://www.servethehome.com/sas-expanders-diy-cheap-low-cost-jbod-enclosures-raid/
http://www.servethehome.com/sas-expanders-build-jbod-das-enclosure-save-iteration-2/

I generally don't recommend the Addonics on account of the crappy PSU. Not to mention that the use of port multipliers means slower performance from the hard drives.

Though with the money being spent ($300 for just the SAS expander card alone), might as well just build an actual new server as ocellaris recommended.

I have 15 HDD in my main rig, in a Lian Li V2000B case. To be able to shut down most of the drives I added a 2nd PSU (there is room for 2) and put the drives (and a couple of fans) on that, so most of the time I'm running on 1 SSD + 1 HDD.

My storage is migrating to a storage server so my plan is to remove all those drives and the PSU.

An alternative would be a 16 bays 3U JBOD for the drives, since I'm already running a SAS card, but then I see no point in having a big ass full tower to begin with.

Back