Ok, so Win 8 is growing on me...

Raxiel

Gawd
After using Windows 8 a bit more, it’s growing on me. Just done a fresh install on my bloatware laden Acer Laptop, and it's running well.

I still hate metro, and the way it attempts to turn Windows 8 into Window 8, but they seem to have made it easier to change file associations to the desktop based equivalents.
sfd
It goes > Open a file (such as a jpg) > See the fullscreen 'app' monopolize the display and close it with an "ewww" > Windows says 'you have other programs that can view this file' and lets me pick windows photo viewer.

It’s also possible to create shortcuts to shutdown and restart the computer which can be pinned to the bottom left hand side of the start screen so you don't have to go through several layers to get to them (would love it if they'd just add them as part of the screen)

Start screen search still needs to show 'non app' results without extra steps though :mad:

If you've tried W8 in the past and found it annoying, it might be worth giving it another go. Right now, I’d be happy to switch to W8 Permanently. Not necessarily enough to pay money to replace my current windows 7 licences depends on pricing. But if I got a new system I wouldn't be asking for a downgrade.

The only minor gripe I have with it now is the login screen defaulting to the last person who logged in, with no apparent setting to have it show a list of all users every time, anyone know how to change that?

they seem to have made it easier to change file associations to the desktop based equivalents.
sfd
It goes > Open a file (such as a jpg) > See the fullscreen 'app' monopolize the display and close it with an "ewww" > Windows says 'you have other programs that can view this file' and lets me pick windows photo viewer.

How is this different or better than simply doing it yourself with a right click "open with"?

How is this different or better than simply doing it yourself with a right click "open with"?

Its not, but it happens automatically if you double click on some file type you'd not opened before and didn't realise.
It would still be better if windows set-up asked you if you wanted associations set for metro or desktop, but its making the best of what I've got rather than what I want.

without having tried win8... can you turn off metro and force it back into a classic desktop?

You can use the desktop just like W7, but you can't bring back the start menu. It has been replaced by the start screen.

I just loaded the consumer preview the other day and I can't wait to blow it off my system. What was MS thinking? That somehow a powerful desktop system, maybe with multiple monitors, is "just like a tablet?":rolleyes:

I sure hope that MS gets the message loud and clear that we want the option to have a start button. We've had a start button probably since Win 95. Previously I used Win 3.1, but I don't remember the details. I hope MS helps me to understand how taking away this button "improves" my "experience.":eek:

A tablet is a tablet and a desktop/laptop is a desktop/laptop. Why can't MS understand this distinction? :mad: :mad: :mad:

I sure hope that when I buy my next laptop, there is an option to "downgrade" to Win 7.

I just loaded the consumer preview the other day and I can't wait to blow it off my system. What was MS thinking? That somehow a powerful desktop system, maybe with multiple monitors, is "just like a tablet?":rolleyes:

I sure hope that MS gets the message loud and clear that we want the option to have a start button. We've had a start button probably since Win 95. Previously I used Win 3.1, but I don't remember the details. I hope MS helps me to understand how taking away this button "improves" my "experience.":eek:

A tablet is a tablet and a desktop/laptop is a desktop/laptop. Why can't MS understand this distinction? :mad: :mad: :mad:

I sure hope that when I buy my next laptop, there is an option to "downgrade" to Win 7.

How does adding a start button improve your experience? So far on the list of reasons that make any sense:

1. When using RDP clients from a tablet that do not properly support W8 features it is difficult to access the start screen.

Yeah, I don't know who still uses the start menu honestly. There are so many better ways to access system menus and launch applications already. It hasn't changed much since Windows 95 even. It needs a major overhaul IMO.

Because a distinction need not be made? They've designed a UI that does both.

The use cases are quite distinct. Even Apple makes that clear.

Just walk up and down the aisle of any airplane these days. A few people are still reading books or newspapers. Most people are using some kind of device. You don't see people doing a spreadsheet on an iPad. More and more, the people watching movies are using an iPad.

Without knowing any of the details, I'm sure that iOS has a lot in common with MacOS X below the shell level, for lots of reasons.

The use cases are quite distinct. Even Apple makes that clear.

Just walk up and down the aisle of any airplane these days. A few people are still reading books or newspapers. Most people are using some kind of device. You don't see people doing a spreadsheet on an iPad. More and more, the people watching movies are using an iPad.

Without knowing any of the details, I'm sure that iOS has a lot in common with MacOS X below the shell level, for lots of reasons.

I fail to see how Apple's inability or unwillingness to make a UI that can handle both use cases has any bearing on Microsoft's demonstration that it can be done quite well with metro...

The iPad can handle both use cases. It's called Numbers.

Just because people on a plane aren't making spreadsheets doesn't mean they can't. Hell, they can even run Excel, if they wanted to.

I started this thread to say that i was finding 8 to be a good OS despite metro, not because of it. As iIve used it more it's started to annoy me again. Hence the following rant.

The start screen itself isn't so bad once you get used to it. My issue is with all the fullscreen metro 'apps'.
Like most people, I don't have a pokey little screen, nor do I have mulitple monitors. I have one, reasonably large screen that can display a decent amount of information from various sources at once at a readable resolution.
I don't want (for example): a PDF viewer that blocks my view of the program I just opened the help file to! As far as i'm concerned 8 doesn't have native PDF support, because I still had to download Acrobat.

Win 7 just 'worked' out the box, if the CP is any indication, Win 8 won't.
First you have to select all the 'metro apps' on the start screen (easy to pick them all with right click) and unpin them.
Then add shutdown/restart shortcuts,
As you install other programs they'll also get added to the start screen, and start on the desktop when you run them.
Then just reassociate all your various media filetypes with their windows equivalent, and you have an OS wich is quite easy to use (Unless you're Heatlessun, in which case you probably consider it ruined)

You can't completely escape the metro bullshit though, trying to add a bluetooth device for example is an exercise in frustration, if you right click on the tray icon (so we're starting from the desktop) it opens the frankly useless 'personalisation app' (bonus points for the fun of closing metro apps with a laptop trackpad when the pointer starts at the bottom of the screen) if you go into start and search for devices you can find the 'traditional' windows version.

If only they'd provide a simple toggle that just says, 'no fullscreen apps please' (and make start screen search work the same as win 7 start menu search) I think a lot (but by no means all) of the hate would go away. But no, they seem more interested in ramming it down our throats.

At the very least let me run apps in windowed mode on fucking Windows!

Who knows what, if anything will change between now and release. I know they're pulling Aero for a start, the CP is much less 'finished' than the final windows 7 RC was. So far I've found the wi-fi is still pretty spotty, and it won't run AutoCAD even in compatibility mode (something for Autodesk to fix I know)

Yeah, I don't know who still uses the start menu honestly. There are so many better ways to access system menus and launch applications already. It hasn't changed much since Windows 95 even. It needs a major overhaul IMO.

The Windows 7 Start menu is significantly different to the Windows 95 or even XP start menus. The original menu was just a list of installed programs. To me the 7 menu is a list of most used programs and a search box. The start screen is a list of installed programs and a search box (That hides some of your results)* I've not used it enough to see if it reorganises itself to put your most frequently used programs in easy reach.

*Its funny they made the 'start' search more awkward to use while significantly improving the interface for searching for files and folders in explorer windows. I'm sure they'll strip that out when they realise they actualy made something on the desktop better than metro.

I started this thread to say that i was finding 8 to be a good OS despite metro, not because of it. As iIve used it more it's started to annoy me again. Hence the following rant.

The start screen itself isn't so bad once you get used to it. My issue is with all the fullscreen metro 'apps'.
Like most people, I don't have a pokey little screen, nor do I have mulitple monitors. I have one, reasonably large screen that can display a decent amount of information from various sources at once at a readable resolution.
I don't want (for example): a PDF viewer that blocks my view of the program I just opened the help file to! As far as i'm concerned 8 doesn't have native PDF support, because I still had to download Acrobat.

Win 7 just 'worked' out the box, if the CP is any indication, Win 8 won't.
First you have to select all the 'metro apps' on the start screen (easy to pick them all with right click) and unpin them.
Then add shutdown/restart shortcuts,
As you install other programs they'll also get added to the start screen, and start on the desktop when you run them.
Then just reassociate all your various media filetypes with their windows equivalent, and you have an OS wich is quite easy to use (Unless you're Heatlessun, in which case you probably consider it ruined)

You can't completely escape the metro bullshit though, trying to add a bluetooth device for example is an exercise in frustration, if you right click on the tray icon (so we're starting from the desktop) it opens the frankly useless 'personalisation app' (bonus points for the fun of closing metro apps with a laptop trackpad when the pointer starts at the bottom of the screen) if you go into start and search for devices you can find the 'traditional' windows version.

If only they'd provide a simple toggle that just says, 'no fullscreen apps please' (and make start screen search work the same as win 7 start menu search) I think a lot (but by no means all) of the hate would go away. But no, they seem more interested in ramming it down our throats.

At the very least let me run apps in windowed mode on fucking Windows!

Who knows what, if anything will change between now and release. I know they're pulling Aero for a start, the CP is much less 'finished' than the final windows 7 RC was. So far I've found the wi-fi is still pretty spotty, and it won't run AutoCAD even in compatibility mode (something for Autodesk to fix I know)

If you don't like Metro apps, don't use them.

I don't think people grasp whats happening here. Eventually everything will be metro, thats the push. Sure, it wont happen immediately, but MS is convinced that metro crap is the future. Any amount of testing with members of the actual public should tell them this isn't the case.

Whenever possible, I don't. The problem is that for large swathes of the operating system the metro version is the default version. Desktop versions exist, but you have to go out of your way to find them.

Like I said in my previous post, picking 'show devices' on the bluetooth icon in the system tray opens the metro device manager, not the desktop version. Just give me a setting to change that, is that so much to ask?

Whenever possible, I don't. The problem is that for large swathes of the operating system the metro version is the default version. Desktop versions exist, but you have to go out of your way to find them.

Like I said in my previous post, picking 'show devices' on the bluetooth icon in the system tray opens the metro device manager, not the desktop version. Just give me a setting to change that, is that so much to ask?

No, its not. I agree that all system settings should be duplicated across the desktop and metro environments. This allows for a more pure "desktop only" existence, with the start screen acting as the start menu, and nothing more.

Also, if I were a betting man, I would bet that Metro apps will never (meaning, for the rest of eternity) run in a window (ignoring 3rd party modifications that have popped up on ios/android) for many, many reasons.

What are those reasons? Except for uniformity and consistency in running the app on a desktop vs tablet. Surely there are no technical limitations.

Because Microsoft want's Metro to be a controlled environment, and having multiple applications open and running (read: not suspended) defeats the purpose of many of Microsoft's goals.

Been playing with Windows 8 on my new Vostro V131 with a 120gig ssd. Ive figured out how to change tabs now in ie, what a pita. You sure use the alt+tab button TONS MORE NOW with this os.

Till this day i still can't do any windows updates BUT oh well. it's only for playing with right now.

Never mind, i can't Right click and COPY URL!! LAME!!

Been playing with Windows 8 on my new Vostro V131 with a 120gig ssd. Ive figured out how to change tabs now in ie, what a pita. You sure use the alt+tab button TONS MORE NOW with this os.

Till this day i still can't do any windows updates BUT oh well. it's only for playing with right now.

You aren't being forced to use Metro IE, but right clicking is not hard to access the tabs even if you are using it. Windows update problems sound like an issues on your machine, as I haven't heard any issues with those.

Because Microsoft want's Metro to be a controlled environment, and having multiple applications open and running (read: not suspended) defeats the purpose of many of Microsoft's goals.

So you're saying that MS's goals are to take away the functionality that makes a lot of us truly productive?

I run through probably over a dozen applications a day, touch on scores of documents, dozens of emails and innumerable browser tabs. If Metro can't handle that quickly, smoothly and as easily as Aero, what do we need it for?

I'm seriously thinking that this might be the first MS OS since Win2k that I don't get into at the beta or RC1 phase.

Anyone think Windows Server 2012 will be any good on the desktop?

EDIT: Not that I'm not testing it already, but I usually migrate my work machine over early so that I can get a jump on supporting clients.

Last edited:

This is perhaps the biggest outstanding issue for me with Metro, you can switch to individual Metro apps but only the desktop for desktop apps. Something tells me that this is going to change by RTM. The hot corner app navigation should work like ALT+TAB.

In the desktop browser you can right click and copy shortcut which is the URL. It the Metro version you can right click and there's a Copy URL option.

I run through probably over a dozen applications a day, touch on scores of documents, dozens of emails and innumerable browser tabs. If Metro can't handle that quickly, smoothly and as easily as Aero, what do we need it for?

Then use desktop apps. The desktop isn't going away and all of those activities work in Windows 8 just like they would in Windows 7 with the same applications.

So when I ask what we need Metro for, your answer is "you don't?"

Gotcha...

I'm not anti change, I embrace it, but are they doing anything to speed up power users? The desktop usage paradigm has changed. We're at the point where even office admins and receptionists are multitasking on multiple monitors. I just did a desktop refresh at client site which included dual monitors for everyone.

Hell, one of the guys at my service desk just stole two more monitors to bring his array up to six. The guy's click rate is as high as a Korean's playing Starcraft.

I don't feel that Metro is helping. It feels like they're burning down the empire to hunt the tablet user, forgetting what made Microsoft wealthy, the corporate user.

I've been using Windows 8 since the Developer Preview. When asked the question "what is Microsoft doing to speed up power users?", I don't believe I have an answer.

I feel like the ribbon in Explorer is an improvement, but I'm not certain it's any more efficient to use, just less cumbersome for users unfamiliar with Explorer. There may be some multi-touch gestures that could be advantageous, but I don't know for certain (I tried to get into Microsoft's idea of multi-touch with the Touch mouse — shame it's such a bad product). Boot times are faster, but I'm not sure that really translates to greater operator efficiency.

Two things that Windows is greatly in need of is multi-desktop/virtual desktop support and better window management. These things aren't in Windows 8, so if you were to ask me if Windows is really moving forward in terms of optimizing for user productivity, the answer I'll give is "no". I'd also like to see a much better touch mouse out of Redmond — something at least comparable to the Magic Mouse, if not better.

Windows 8 isn't about either or, it's both and. Why would one use a Metro app that doesn't suit one's needs anymore than using a desktop app that does suit one's needs? Windows 8 gives you the ability to use the kinds of apps that suit what you're doing and how you're doing it. If you're working at a desk with your tablet in a keyboard dock with a mouse you can use desktop IE. Surfing in bed or on a couch without the dock, take that same device and use Metro IE with touch.

I do this ALL of the time and it's EXTREMELY liberating not to be tied to any one input method on a single device and single OS.

So you're saying that MS's goals are to take away the functionality that makes a lot of us truly productive?

I'm seriously thinking that this might be the first MS OS since Win2k that I don't get into at the beta or RC1 phase.

Anyone think Windows Server 2012 will be any good on the desktop?

EDIT: Not that I'm not testing it already, but I usually migrate my work machine over early so that I can get a jump on supporting clients.

I am saying that I don't understand the following argument:

1. People complain they don't like Metro, which Microsoft would get rid of it/let them turn it off
2. People complain when they have to use the desktop for certain tasks (even though they hate Metro, so why wouldn't they be using the desktop?)

And guess what? You can do all of those things you mentioned in W8 just as easily as you could in W7. Metro is a CONSUMER oriented product, if you need peak productivity there is no doubt you HAVE to use the desktop. And once you go to the desktop you can access all those apps, documents, emails, and browser tabs just like you did in W7. The goal of Metro is to make touch devices more accessible, without impacting the power user who lives in the desktop. It isn't perfect (like was mentioned, settings need to be duplicated in both environments, some programs put too many shortcuts on the start screen, and the start screen could use a "folder" concept to name a couple issues I have with it).

If W8 didn't add Metro, users would obviously be in the desktop 100% of the time, and many complaints would magically go away, but what I try to emphasize is that just because the metro apps are there, nobody is making you use them (except for a couple of exceptions i.e. your bluetooth example).

Your argument is grossly disingenuous: Windows has supported touch for years. You've never been "tied to any one input method" in Windows. If you want to use a joystick to navigate through Windows, you can do that.

Windows 8 uses Metro to present the same things differently. It's not a revolution in the way people can use Windows.

I've been using Windows 8 since the Developer Preview. When asked the question "what is Microsoft doing to speed up power users?", I don't believe I have an answer.

For power users you'll have better out of the box multi-monitor support, storage spaces, device setting syncing, better cloud integration and a faster and more power efficient OS. For power users like myself you'll have hybrid laptop/tablet designs running Core i5 CPUs that can be used as for both work with keyboards and mice and more casual and mobile use with touch and pen support.

Windows 8 on the right hardware is extremely powerful and flexible and gives power users a hell of a lot of options that no other OS has to offer in a single package.

Your argument is grossly disingenuous: Windows has supported touch for years. You've never been "tied to any one input method" in Windows. If you want to use a joystick to navigate through Windows, you can do that.

Windows 8 uses Metro to present the same things differently. It's not a revolution in the way people can use Windows.

This is just as disingenuous. You are quite correct, Windows has supported pens since XP and touch since Vista. But the problem is that few developers every used these input methods, there's been almost no desktop software that's been touch optimized.

And the Start Menu absolutely sucks as an app launcher for touch. Indeed the new Start Screen works FAR FAR FAR better with a mouse than the Start Menu ever worked with touch.

Desktop software, sure. Not Windows. There are no real limitations with Windows 7's APIs which prohibit software developers from developing and releasing touch-optimized software for Windows. Windows 8 may present some additional options for developers with respect to multi-touch gestures and so forth, but that doesn't mean the opportunity hasn't been there.

You said "Windows 8 gives you the ability to use the kinds of apps that suit what you're doing and how you're doing it". You could just as easily have said "Windows 7 gives you the ability to use the kinds of apps that suit what you're doing and how you're doing it" and have been just as accurate. With the simple switch of a number, I've taken a statement you've made regarding Windows 8 and made it true of its predecessor as well.

As I said: disingenuous.

Windows 8 is a revolution, I just doubt it is one the average public will see in a positive light.

Desktop software, sure. Not Windows. There are no real limitations with Windows 7's APIs which prohibit software developers from developing and releasing touch-optimized software for Windows. Windows 8 may present some additional options for developers with respect to multi-touch gestures and so forth, but that doesn't mean the opportunity hasn't been there.

You said "Windows 8 gives you the ability to use the kinds of apps that suit what you're doing and how you're doing it". You could just as easily have said "Windows 7 gives you the ability to use the kinds of apps that suit what you're doing and how you're doing it" and have been just as accurate. With the simple switch of a number, I've taken a statement you've made regarding Windows 8 and made it true of its predecessor as well.

As I said: disingenuous.

It's probably not much of a stretch to say that I've spent more hours using Windows 7 with touch than everyone else on this forum put together. I have three Windows 7 tablets and a Windows 7 convertible tablet PC and used touch on them everyday.

While Windows 7 does work with touch it simply requires too much patience and precision for most folks, though I became pretty adept at it. However with the Consumer Preview of Windows 8 and some better drivers, I've all but ceased using Windows 7 on my touch devices. Even in the CP stage, Windows 8 is FAR SUPERIOR to Windows 7 when it comes to touch, it's not even close. Even the desktop works much better with the ribbon and fuzzy targeting. But what's really been a treat is the IE 10 Metro browser. It's stills still not quite solid but touch is so accurate and fast and the browser just blows away mobile OS tablets with it's speed. Even the crappy Metro apps for mail and calendar are better with touch than anything on Windows 7.

So yes Windows 7 had the basic touch capabilities but it simply didn't have the apps.

I feel like the ribbon in Explorer is an improvement, but I'm not certain it's any more efficient to use, just less cumbersome for users unfamiliar with Explorer. There may be some multi-touch gestures that could be advantageous, but I don't know for certain (I tried to get into Microsoft's idea of multi-touch with the Touch mouse — shame it's such a bad product). Boot times are faster, but I'm not sure that really translates to greater operator efficiency.

Two things that Windows is greatly in need of is multi-desktop/virtual desktop support and better window management. These things aren't in Windows 8, so if you were to ask me if Windows is really moving forward in terms of optimizing for user productivity, the answer I'll give is "no". I'd also like to see a much better touch mouse out of Redmond — something at least comparable to the Magic Mouse, if not better.

That POS mouse made my whole system lag, and I have a 2600k with 16gig.

The Microsoft Touch Mouse actually works well with Windows 8, Microsoft even has a beta Windows 8 driver for it.

I am saying that I don't understand the following argument:

1. People complain they don't like Metro, which Microsoft would get rid of it/let them turn it off
2. People complain when they have to use the desktop for certain tasks (even though they hate Metro, so why wouldn't they be using the desktop?)

And guess what? You can do all of those things you mentioned in W8 just as easily as you could in W7. Metro is a CONSUMER oriented product, if you need peak productivity there is no doubt you HAVE to use the desktop. And once you go to the desktop you can access all those apps, documents, emails, and browser tabs just like you did in W7. The goal of Metro is to make touch devices more accessible, without impacting the power user who lives in the desktop. It isn't perfect (like was mentioned, settings need to be duplicated in both environments, some programs put too many shortcuts on the start screen, and the start screen could use a "folder" concept to name a couple issues I have with it).

If W8 didn't add Metro, users would obviously be in the desktop 100% of the time, and many complaints would magically go away, but what I try to emphasize is that just because the metro apps are there, nobody is making you use them (except for a couple of exceptions i.e. your bluetooth example).

I was making no argument. I specifically asked what Metro does for the power user. Both you and heatlesssun have given me the same answer - nothing, don't use it.

Since you bring up that it's a consumer product. I am very interested in seeing what MS does with the Pro, Enterprise and Ultimate versions of Win8. I must admit to having my concerns with deploying Win8 to end users in the enterprise with what I've seen in both of the previews.

I was making no argument. I specifically asked what Metro does for the power user. Both you and heatlesssun have given me the same answer - nothing, don't use it.

That's not really what I was saying. You're looking at it from how you use a computer, which if it's only about how much stuff you can pack onto a screen, then in your case you may not find a lot of Metro apps that will suit you.

In my world however, I move from device to device. I'll be on a desktop one minute, a laptop the next and on my tablet taking notes or reading. In each case I can go from device to device to device and not skip a beat since they 100% interoperable, it's the same OS after all. I take a lot of notes with a pen, Metro makes using touch and pen much easier than prior versions of Windows. If you are a power user that uses different devices in different situations and more than keyboards and mice, Metro is a god send if you don't want to have to use multiple OSes and deal with interoperability issues.

Back