Ok, so what is the strongest, and baddest wireless router to buy right now?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I need a new wireless router. I would like for it to be a nice long distance one, so strength is important over the type of connection.

What do you guys either recommend or use that is badass?

I have two R7000's in AP mode they are fucking fantastic! Sure I don't get a controller based AP, but they are just monstrously fast.

"strongest" WAP is a bit of a misnomer. PRoblem is,even if you buy a WAP that is "stronger" the devices you are connecting to it are still the weakest link. Plus, all WAPs are regulated by the FCC.

To be fair, the R7000 has better hardware then the ERL and the Unifi AP AC is still in firmware purgatory. Once they get it and the USG straightened out, it may be a viable option as long as you don't mind doing the config.

What about the D-Link DIR-880L? Seems to get positive reviews for range and speed.

I have the R7000 running in AP mode, with an ASA for my router, and the range on the R7000 is great, couldn't be happier. I have a selection of other Wireless N routers (N300-900), and by far the R7000 has the best range out of all of them.

To be fair, the R7000 has better hardware then the ERL and the Unifi AP AC is still in firmware purgatory. Once they get it and the USG straightened out, it may be a viable option as long as you don't mind doing the config.

You must not have installed 3.2.10

You must not have installed 3.2.10

I don't have time to keep up with the beta tests of their firmware. Are you saying it's finally at a point where you'd feel comfortable doing an enterprise wide installation with it?

What about the D-Link DIR-880L? Seems to get positive reviews for range and speed.

I'll never buy D-link again since they did that firmware hack on the DIR-655 preventing downgrading to previous firmware. The new firmware trashed my router and they were preventing me from downgrading. Ended up being a huge time suck and I had to use a hacked Russian file to get around D-link's madness. I've had Asus and Netgear since and they are OK (prefer Netgear right now).

I'll never buy D-link again since they did that firmware hack on the DIR-655 preventing downgrading to previous firmware. The new firmware trashed my router and they were preventing me from downgrading. Ended up being a huge time suck and I had to use a hacked Russian file to get around D-link's madness. I've had Asus and Netgear since and they are OK (prefer Netgear right now).

Wow, I thought I was the only one this happened to. I had the DGL version of the same router, cost me over $300. Then a firmware update came out that prevented downgrading, followed by one that made it unusable, and basically made the thing worthless.

Fair circumstance to get you to steer away from D-Link.

However, does the 880L suffer from the same limitation as the 655, or has D-Link learned their lesson? I just ran a web search, but couldn't find diddly-shit about firmware reversion capability for the newer 880 model.

From the perspectives of price point, range, and speed compared to the competition, the 880L seems to be a solid choice. But, it's only a viable option if D-Link isn't pulling the same 655 firmware shenanigans. Some potentially good news is that DD-WRT for the 880L is being worked on.

I'm recommending staying away from DLINK also. I like the Linksys AC3200 recommendation as well. Hard to beat for $200 if you ask me. No aftermarket firmware available though is the only downside.

Back