Ok so what do you guys really think of the 3080 reviews?

RamonGTP

Supreme [H]ardness
Me personally, it Performed about where I realistically expected it to perform, but secretly I was hoping for a little more. Ideally, with the hype surrounding it, the 3080 was performing about where I would have liked the 3070 to be.

2080 to 3080 over 60% faster (up to 90%) for the same price? (At 4K, I know it drops when you look at 1440 and 1080 - I've gamed at 4K for many years now) -

Fan-fucking-tastic.

As impressive as that is Nvidia clearly pulled a punch here. They released something 20-25% faster than the 2080 Ti for less money, but left another 20% on the table by disabling part of the chip. The 3090 will likely be the pinnacle of performance for this generation but I would be surprised if they don't release a slightly cut-down 3080 Ti (with 22gb instead of 24gb) for ~$1000 shortly after the Radeon 6000 launch

I am still limping along with my 1080 Ti and want to wait and see how Nvidia reacts to Big Navi. Or maybe I’ll just get a 3090.

It performed about what I expected from the leaks and such. I think the Nvidia launch presentation increased expectations a bit but overall I'm happy with the price/performance and will try to get a 3080 tomorrow.

I'm feeling about the same as when I saw those leaked benches that if I'm remembering right were not far off. Basically for me selling my 2080 a couple months ago for 700 locally it's a no brainer must buy asap. If I were in my wife's situation I would wait for a refresh, unfortunately the wife doesnt have patience so shes buying a 3090 because she wants fast. As far as 2080ti owners I think you re safe from the 3070, really there's no way that the 3070 is roughly the equivalent outside those three special case situations. Those that fire saled your 2080ti's you let Nvidia fool you once again.

Yeah, based on the 3080 performance, i think RT heavy games is really going to be the only area where a 3070 out performs a 2080Ti

Pretty much what I expected. Which a little bit niche, something it also provides is the opportunity to game higher than 60FPS on TV's for the first time (via HDMI 2.1). It also provides the opportunity to play on TV's using VRR, which is a performance and precision boost. That's niche right now, while HDMI 2.1 sets are brand new, but it's another advantage over the older cards. If you have the right setup, it's a big deal.

2080 Ti to 3080 @ 4K is basically a 24% difference. Was really hoping it was closer to 40% and as a result I'm ditching plans to get a 3090. It's going to be like 10% faster (5-7FPS @ 4K) so a 3080 will do until they refresh.

Also overclocking results have been atrocious so far. 320 to 370w power limit gets you 4-5% performance when clocked @ 2000mhz along with a significant memory OC.

I little bit of a let down compared to Nvidia's hype. But if you want the best 4K gaming this is the card. Well except for the 3090 of course.

I think Nvidia marketing really did well pushing out Hype. Because it was nowhere near what they said it would be.

BUT, the 3080 is still a beast of a card and at a very good price of $699 (if you can get one at that price).

Feels pretty much as expected. Kinda wish the power consumption wasn't as high, but as long as it stays cool, don't really care that much. Overall i'd say...

Performance increase is good.
Power consumption is kinda meh.
Power consumption to performance increase over the 2080ti is pretty awful, but we knew that going in.

Really was just waiting on the reviews so I could decide between the Odyssey G9 for 240hz or being fine with the CRG9 and 120hz at 5120x1440. Will probably wait and see how the 3090 does as well and make my final decisions then. Or wait for what AMD has to offer if for nothing else other than pricing adjustments or the mythical 20GB 3080/3080ti.

I’ll still be picking up one of these as it is 2x the performance of my 5700xt. If dx12 hadn’t killed of SLI I would have definitely picked up 2 of these. I just had dual 1080 GTXs in my old rig and if SLI still worked been still pretty happy with that setup. Still not bad for the money. I’ll see if some one comes out with a water blocked card with out a power cap or at least a raised power cap. I have a 1200watt psu so I can push it a bit. 5% over clock is nothing.

From the reviews, the performance is insane for the price (coming from a 5700 XT owner) and you can heat up your room in the winter while at it ! :hungry:
I'm still waiting to see what AMD has to offer if they drop the ball ill be getting a 3080 for Christmas and give the 5700 XT to my nephew o_O

Not exactly living up to the hype. Mark me surprised /s

Expect less threads asking for $250 2080ti’s.

I think you may see their value raise back up a bit.

Not bad at all, especially for the price. I will pick one up just to get 4k/120Hz 4:4:4 on my CX 48 with a bit more FPS over my 2080ti. I think the 3090 is overkill for me so saving some money on a GPU will be a nice change of pace.

I’ll still be picking up one of these as it is 2x the performance of my 5700xt. If dx12 hadn’t killed of SLI I would have definitely picked up 2 of these. I just had dual 1080 GTXs in my old rig and if SLI still worked been still pretty happy with that setup. Still not bad for the money. I’ll see if some one comes out with a water blocked card with out a power cap or at least a raised power cap. I have a 1200watt psu so I can push it a bit. 5% over clock is nothing.

I miss SLI ,I had run SLI for years since the GTX 480 days now just a single GPU like the rest of the peasants! :shifty:

Currently at work, so only gazed over some reviews but so far everything looks good (from a glance, at least). I was a little worried that Nvidia and the leaks were over selling it, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Agree that it does feel like Nvidia pulled their punch and there's a bigger fish waiting, however I wouldn't be disappointed if I could grab one on launch at MSRP.

Compared to my 1080 Ti, it’s fantastic but... Waiting for the 3090.

It meets the same standard that the 1080 Ti set at release, a really solid performance for $700. I'm extremely impressed and the 3080 will drive warzone at the kind of frames I need.

Me personally, it Performed about where I realistically expected it to perform, but secretly I was hoping for a little more. Ideally, with the hype surrounding it, the 3080 was performing about where I would have liked the 3070 to be.
The reviews didn't really push OCs though. The AIB cards with decent OCs should close the gap.

I may have been a bit swept up in the hype to the point where the reviews were a bit underwhelming, but they seem like good cards. My pascal card died after 3.5 years and I went big with the 2080ti where I had really been wanting to hold out for this gen prior to that, so part of me wants to try for a card tomorrow and part of me wants to just sit tight.

Seems like the FE cards are hitting the power limit too often. The AIB reviews with higher limits and 3 8-pin connectors should be interesting.

Not bad at all, especially for the price. I will pick one up just to get 4k/120Hz 4:4:4 on my CX 48 with a bit more FPS over my 2080ti. I think the 3090 is overkill for me so saving some money on a GPU will be a nice change of pace.
3090 is not overkill. Can never have too much performance. Just the value isn't there.

Are there any reviews that are NOT the FE version? No AIB cards reviewed at all? Would like to know about their cooler performance compared to the FE.

Are there any reviews that are NOT the FE version? No AIB cards reviewed at all? Would like to know about their cooler performance compared to the FE.

Embargo on those lift tomorrow IIRC.

The reviews didn't really push OCs though. The AIB cards with decent OCs should close the gap.

The ones that did OC saw basically zero performance gains.

Embargo on those lift tomorrow IIRC.

I saw 5 to 6% in some reviews. Not much - even on air. I'm going to use an AiO watercooler though - so hoping that won't be nearly the case.

I saw 5 to 6% in some reviews. Not much - even on air. I'm going to use an AiO watercooler though - so hoping that won't be nearly the case.

350w+ is a lot to move through an AIO. Which one are you looking at? Ill be blocking mine. Just gotta see what I can snag tomorrow morning.

350w+ is a lot to move through an AIO. Which one are you looking at? Ill be blocking mine. Just gotta see what I can snag tomorrow morning.
I got a 1080ti and 3950x on two 280mm rads atm. Might have to add a 360mm rad when I upgrade to a 3080/3080ti.

Meh, 3080 FE is cool but I’m not waking up at 5:30am to stab a buy button.
I need to see rt core gains to justify workstation use.
1440p uplift is all I really cared about and the notable 4k gains aren’t going to scrap my monitors.

Last edited:
I can only imagine how much power the 3090 is going to draw, seeing how power hungry the 3080 is. I wouldn't be shocked to see it pulling 400 watts, and over 450w OC'd.

Exactly as expected... as a 4K gamer, I am still disappointed by the VRAM situation and thinking to wait for the 20GB variant.

BTW, no way I am buying the 3090 given it will only be (at best!) ~20% faster and more than twice the cost.

GN actually saw a performance degradation in a few scenarios when OC'd

The FE cards may have the superior cooling solution, but with such a compact PCB, I imagine power delivery is at it's limit even at default settings.

Back