Ok so I finished Metro 2033...

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
Not bad not bad. I finished it about an hour ago. The story was pretty straight forward there's not a lot of twists or anything. It seemed to rely heavily on the atmosphere but not in a bad way. I feel like I finished it at just the right time you know with the sequel coming and because the graphics were starting to just barely look dated. Seems like an 8-12 hour game. I was happy with the length. I don't need X amount of hours in a game I just need to feel like it told me a completely fleshed out story. This game never felt like it had any padding or needless backtracking. I really appreciate the latter. You'd complete a chapter and it would just move you forward.

It's hard not comparing this to Stalker I really wish they existed side by side instead of firmly being separate entities. Not doing things better than stalker so much as being the same concept but a different type of game. Where Stalker was wide-open countryside exploration which allowed you to progress on your terms and tie the story together this is depressingly claustrophobic and all scares. Where Stalker was an RPG this was an FPS-Adventure game with a heavy focus on story. This one proved a game doesn't have to be a sandbox game to be good. I would have liked these two to have shared the same realm.

Story and characters are not amazing but enjoyable. I'm really really bad about walking away from a game if I get bored which even happened a couple times during bioshock Infinite. I'd get busy with stuff and just walk away from it. With a lot of games I never manage to get back into it. I didn't have that problem with this. The music and atmosphere is something that will sit with me for a while. That alone kept dragging me back. The game drags you along at this awkwardly depressing pace. At one time the main character says something to the effect of "there was no hope all seems lost. I don't know what to do but keep moving forward, searching." because literally you're shit out of luck but there was no turning back just had to hope for a miracle.

One thing I found that they did well was the ammo. I spent most of the game constantly running out of it. In a couple of the last few chapters I just completely ran out and had to run from everything.

One thing I found infuriating was also the ammo. The same button to reload switches ammo type. the problem is one type is actually currency which using fucked me over when I wanted to buy stuff. This seemed to not matter because they didn't actually really sell you much. Where was this crossbow I kept picking up bolts for? I never actually saw it in any shops? By the end of the game the idea of buying stuff is null so if you haven't played this yet or just started and use your currency by accident don't worry overall it doesn't seem to help or hurt the game.

I think they could have handled the monster and enemy balancing better. Half the time I couldn't tell if I was supposed to run away or fight it out. With the regular enemies it was really strange sometimes I'd tag a guy in the head and he'd go down instantly then the guy next to him would take 3 hits before his helmet would come off and another 3 before he'd fucking go down. Again I can't say it hurt the game because I didn't have a massive amount of trouble beating it. I played the default difficulty. I died infrequently so if you're not looking for a challenge I'd recommend medium. I don't know how hard HARD might actually be.

I'm now really looking forward to the sequel because instead of this game cliffhanging or purely ending it opens it up for more story. I look forward to it.

Overall solid 8/10
-1 For having weird ammo and gun balancing.
-1 For funky Monster and enemy balancing.

Last edited:
I was happy with the length. I don't know how hard HARD might actually be.

That's what she said.

I thought the game was ok. I think I've played too many dark zombie-ish monster games in a row recently and am getting a little burned out (L4D, Walking Dead, STALKER, and Metro). Graphically nice, but I don't need super graphics to enjoy a game. Gameplay > graphics. Trying to put a dent in my backlog...currently playing through the King's Bounty series and am loving them. Good break from the darker games...bright vibrant colors and turn-based strategy is a nice change for me right now.

Sure it was linear, but the story and atmosphere was very compelling (for me at least). I said the same thing about Singularity. I was honestly too captivated by the story and to care about the flaws. Game mechanics also didnt play a huge negative role either... they were fluid enough and didn't hinder my experience. Playing through a second time I certainly noticed the flaws more (on both games) but it was still quite enjoyable.

I grade it a B. Awesome graphics and decent story. Bad parts include stealth not handled well and shooting physics so-so. For fps fans it is a good title to show off more powerful gaming pc's.

I just started playing this again (was stopped on the part where you are carrying the kid for the longest time). Two things:

1) The mouse movement in this game SUCKS (it's weird when you're carrying the kid and even normally it's way too sensitive for some reason. Doesn't feel right regardless.)

2) That part with the kid is one of the stupidest things I've ever experienced in a game. So you are stuck with an annoying kid on your back, your mouse movement is totally fucked and they throw endless, fast enemies at you that just do a quick swipe attack and then run away? Total bullshit.

I just started playing this again (was stopped on the part where you are carrying the kid for the longest time). Two things:

1) The mouse movement in this game SUCKS (it's weird when you're carrying the kid and even normally it's way too sensitive for some reason. Doesn't feel right regardless.)

2) That part with the kid is one of the stupidest things I've ever experienced in a game. So you are stuck with an annoying kid on your back, your mouse movement is totally fucked and they throw endless, fast enemies at you that just do a quick swipe attack and then run away? Total bullshit.

Just run through it, yeah its annoying as hell, but its really short. Its not like a long chapter or anything.

Just run through it, yeah its annoying as hell, but its really short. Its not like a long chapter or anything.

True...Sadly, it's not really clear whether or not you're supposed to run through it so you end up sitting there wasting ammo wondering when it's going to stop. At some point the kid should have been like, "They just keep coming, we should just run for it!" or something like that.

I thought it was great, but I hadn't played a FPS in a while and I also got it for free during their promo... I actually really liked the ending and all the supernatural stuff... the rest of it was just kinda ok... the monsters were kinda interesting but also a bit annoying at times. I started playing the game in English but couldn't stand the voices so I switched it to Russian with subtitles... SOOO much better!

I hope the next game has more variety, I guess that would be my only complaint. I'm not really into the political story lines either, but I pretty much expect that.

I thought it was great, but I hadn't played a FPS in a while and I also got it for free during their promo... I actually really liked the ending and all the supernatural stuff... the rest of it was just kinda ok... the monsters were kinda interesting but also a bit annoying at times. I started playing the game in English but couldn't stand the voices so I switched it to Russian with subtitles... SOOO much better!

I hope the next game has more variety, I guess that would be my only complaint. I'm not really into the political story lines either, but I pretty much expect that.

dammit wish Id known that was an option. Stalker is way better with Russian voices too.

Really enjoying this game so far.
Immersive and beautiful. Artwork and attention to detail is amazing.

Can't believe I got it for $5.

Game was good, solid B worth playing.

As an aside, I love good RPGs but for some reason I could not get into Stalker. Tried it vanilla, gold patch (or whatever the patch was called)... I know so many people loved it so I kept trying it over and over thinking I was missing something, that I just didn't "get it" yet, try it again and see. Well, I never did get it. Maybe it was the in-game menus, quest tracking ,etc, which seemed all over the place. Whatever the case, I sure did my best multiple times to try to like it.

Back on topic: Issue is that metro has been $5 so many times, I'll be waiting until last light is too.

I keep getting annoyed with the checkpoints and the AI enemies having inhuman perception. Been having to play the same parts over and over and over and over and over and...

I keep getting annoyed with the checkpoints and the AI enemies having inhuman perception. Been having to play the same parts over and over and over and over and over and...

I know what you mean. But that's how you develop flawless stratedgy :D

FYI...There are 2 endings. Very easy to miss the good ending. I didn't even know about it till it was too late.

lol @maverick, but you cant do anything right man, why you dont just quit? is not like you will get any better lol :p

FYI...There are 2 endings. Very easy to miss the good ending. I didn't even know about it till it was too late.

yeah, second ending is multiple choice. is being like a year or two since i last played this game but i remember that i had to sneak both underground bases without killing anyone (but you have to knife a guy in the stairs to the tunnel in the nazi camp to be able to pass through, and you can shoot everyone to save the prisioners at the end if you feel like) to get it, is not difficult. all my runs on this game were with the stealth suit. ah! and dont shoot the children in that part that you see them on a playground on the outside and dont shoot that ugly shaved monkey that appears right afterwards! there are other requirements but i played this game several times and you will * not* get the alternate ending if youre into snufing people for teh lulz, lol :D

lol @maverick, but you cant do anything right man, why you dont just quit? is not like you will get any better lol :p

*shrug* I guess I'm just finding it hard to believe this game is as good as everyone is saying. Yes, it's great looking, but so far the gameplay doesn't really seem that amazing. Couple that with control issues and I am disappoint. I really want to like this game, but the game makes it hard.

I was bored out of my mind with this game, it never clicked. Maybe I will give it another go.

I just thought it was amusing that one of the characters was named Vodka.. or Whiskey.. or some thing like that, lol.

Personally I consider this game a C+. Pretty average game-play with above average graphics. It's totally "on the rails" in terms of progression, and the controls are only so-so.

dammit wish Id known that was an option. Stalker is way better with Russian voices too.

I didn't like it in Russian as much as I did in english. Artyoms voice in english sounds younger and more vulnerable. In russian he sounds more like a hardened badass, which to me didn't feel the part.

I didn't like it in Russian as much as I did in english. Artyoms voice in english sounds younger and more vulnerable. In russian he sounds more like a hardened badass, which to me didn't feel the part.

I just started playing it again and I was completely oblivious to the fact you can change the languages. Now I want to start from the beginning in Russian.

*shrug* I guess I'm just finding it hard to believe this game is as good as everyone is saying. Yes, it's great looking, but so far the gameplay doesn't really seem that amazing. Couple that with control issues and I am disappoint. I really want to like this game, but the game makes it hard.

Yes it is not good. In fact I think most find it very linear and boring and have to 'go back' to it or find a reason to finish it.

I bought it for 10 bucks and Dead Island was a worse buy. How do people justify shit like this?

I'm still trudging through it, but I am really starting to notice the AI issues that RailGunRiz mentioned. The AI has magical knowledge of you at all times, and if you kill one guy silently from complete darkness, suddenly everyone else (with no NVGs) knows where you are instantly. Really stupid in a game that has several "stealth" areas.

I'm still trudging through it, but I am really starting to notice the AI issues that RailGunRiz mentioned. The AI has magical knowledge of you at all times, and if you kill one guy silently from complete darkness, suddenly everyone else (with no NVGs) knows where you are instantly. Really stupid in a game that has several "stealth" areas.

lol maverick, stealth works fine, just dont let other people see the guy having his head blown, is not only noise.

lets do a quick nazy underground (assuming that youre using the stealth suit): from the start, duck, to the left when theres no more people, blow the search light above the tunnel (suppressed fire), go forth and sneak throughout the people going for the end of the platform where you are, turn left, watch around and go to the end of the pipes, theres a few people to the left of where you are, wait for them to leave, one of them will keep there on watch, blow his head off (suppressed fire), jump on the pipes and go down, put the gasmask on and avoid the search lights, disarm mines and enter the tunnel, up the stairs, wait people walk by, enter passage left, theres a guy blocking the stairs, throw a knife on his back, snuff him, go up, turn lights off and wait, theres an armed cart going back and forth, sneak behind the tunell beams to the left (or right) when it passes, reaching the end theres three prisioners beneath the stairs to the right, silently kill everybody (suppressed fire) and free the prisioners (moral point), done. doing so youre still on the "alternate" ending path, i did that on harcore ranger, hope that helps you. :)

lol maverick, stealth works fine, just dont let other people see the guy having his head blown, is not only noise.

Okay, let me give you a non-theoretical situation. I silently shoot a guy on a catwalk, he dies and falls off. A bit later, some enemies walk by his body (keep in mind I am still completely hidden and these enemies have never seen me). They yell "ENEMY SCOUT, KILL HIM!" and IMMEDIATELY start firing on my position. How exactly did they know where I was?

Sorry, but "stealth" is broken in this game, given the enemy's clairvoyance. I've also have guys round a corner when I was in total darkness and start firing on me, even when they didn't have NVGs or flashlights.

Okay, let me give you a non-theoretical situation. I silently shoot a guy on a catwalk, he dies and falls off. A bit later, some enemies walk by his body (keep in mind I am still completely hidden and these enemies have never seen me). They yell "ENEMY SCOUT, KILL HIM!" and IMMEDIATELY start firing on my position. How exactly did they know where I was?

Sorry, but "stealth" is broken in this game, given the enemy's clairvoyance. I've also have guys round a corner when I was in total darkness and start firing on me, even when they didn't have NVGs or flashlights.

It seemed scripted to me. I noticed theres some people you're meant to sneak by and some its ok to shoot. The Nazi thing isn't very long.

yeah is not perfect, but is not "broken", it works and is tough, and if you start killing too many the others will become aware of you even if they didnt see you.

@piscian18: i dont think is scripted because i shot guys in all kinds of situations, even in the open, outside, without being detected. some things always work because theyre too easy but things doesnt work the second time the same way, it goes according to the moment. you can even shoot two guys side-by-side without being detected but you have to be fast, very fast, and if you miss you wont have a second chance because the guy will alert everybody before you can take the second shot.

hmm i was just remembering.. yeah i understand what youre saying MavericK. i remembered that time that you go with a guy on the outside, the guy that gives you the ak, later you both end up on a underground vent and he is captured. so, from there i went to the left and shot three or four guys, from the vent, without going down, without being seen.. then someone discovered one of the bodies and *everybody* knew where i was! wtf! yeah, this game has its moments, i agree, far from perfect.

if youre not enjoying just murder everybody bro, for me sneaking is the way to go on this game, it gives me more adrenaline!

I apologize if I hijack the thread but I was hoping to see if anyone has a similar experience as me. In the beginning of the game when you first start traveling the tunnels on foot, you come to a bridge. At the top of the bridge I am at 100+ FPS when I descend and go underneath the bridge it goes up and down from 50-90. back and forth it doesnt seem like there is any given reason. I thought that I had some issues but I disable one of my cards and the frames were 55 down to 20. Very bizarre.

is Advanced DoF still a frame rate killer with the latest video cards?...or is it now playable with it enabled?

It's very playable in some areas. In others...meh.

cool...been thinking about giving Metro 2033 another run-through before Last Light hits...when I first played the game I had to disable Advanced DoF...hoping my GTX 580 can handle it now

Last edited:
cool...been thinking about giving Metro 2033 another run-through before Last Light hits...when I first played the game I had to disable Advanved DoF...hoping my GTX 580 can handle it now

Mmm might be pretty rough in some open areas. I wouldnt bank on it. It doesnt make much of a difference anyway.

Back