ok need help and fast, My northbridge is burning touch @120c stock!!

db2431

n00b
I dont know if you read my previous post, but speedfan was showing my northbridge temps at around 120c (aux temps) I had my 6400 overclocked to 3.2ghz, I actually put by hand on the northbridge heatsink and it burns your hand when you touch it!!I then quickly went to bios, restored defaults, and temps are staying the same! I need help fast before the mobo burns out, what could be the problem!!Mobo is a p5b-e, i have 2 case fans and a scyther infinity on cpu. Idle cpu is around 40c and system temps around 42 please help!Unless speedfan is reading it wrong and the northbridge should be hot to touch?

is it one of those upside down mounting cases, and is your mobo a heatpipe-cooled mobo?

Did you just get the board? If you did make sure it has atleast thermal tape under that heatsink. They usually aren't that hard to take off.

Its a regular setup with motherboard on side, has the heatsink as shown in this pic
cb4f2ba53694eade9ef42496d6173e55.jpg

Should it be so Hot that i cant hold my finger on it for more than 5 seconds?Its a new board yes, just got it today.Also speedfan is reporting the aux temps higher now tthan when it was overclocked to 3.2?

These were my temps running at 3.2ghz

http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fanzm7.jpg

Ah it's passive cooled. I don't think it should get that hot though either way. Maybe check for that thermal pad , or maybe mount a fan somewhere to get some air blown over it.

Also maybe try another temp monitoring program. Your board probably came with something like that on a CD. But if you say it burn you, something isn't right.

You know what I do to buy myself time until new NB cooler arrives.... Place a fan ( I usually use 92mm fan ) on top of the video card so that it blows air over the NB. This should keep the northbridge cool atleast until you can get a new HS or HSF for it.

RMA time.

If the heatsink is hot enough to burn you, I really doubt it's a mounting/thermal pad-paste issue. Something is definately fucked, there is no reason that a nb heatsink should literally burn your hand.

Practically every component in my DVR is too hot too touch. :D

Been going for two years now, 24/7. Obviously, for a gaming system, I'd cool it more and sacrifice silence. But, I've learned via my DVR that skin isn't the best gauge of what temperatures are acceptable. ;)

Reapply thermal paste and stick on a 40mm fan. If temps are still too high, RMA the board. There's no reason it should be running anywhere near that temperature, especially at stock.

I reapplied thermal paste and checked immediatly after rebooting after machine had been off for 30 mins and it was at 119c again, something tells me the sensor is fubar, i can put my finger on the heatsink but it starts to burn after 5-6 seconds, i have no idea if thats normal.I also gamed for a couple of hours and no crashes, im stumped :confused:

It's fine, the back of my video card burns your fingers if you put them on it.

My DFI NF3 board was extremely hot to the touch on the heatsink too. On load it would burn your fingers.

If it takes 5-6 seconds to burn you... It's fine.

If it was like, "INSTANT" pain then you'd have a problem ;).

Plus, 119c would BOIL water... and then some... So, if you can touch it :rolleyes:

**EDIT** I recommend a new NB HSF anyways, for good measure...

Jing Ting Forcetake should be on sale about now... over at Jab-Tech.com

db2431 said:
I reapplied thermal paste and checked immediatly after rebooting after machine had been off for 30 mins and it was at 119c again, something tells me the sensor is fubar, i can put my finger on the heatsink but it starts to burn after 5-6 seconds, i have no idea if thats normal.I also gamed for a couple of hours and no crashes, im stumped :confused:

Speedfan is wrong. Or rather the sensor it's reading is wrong. 120C = 248F. If you touch that, then it's instant pain plus skin blisters. Hell, it'd be so hot you couldn't get you finger on it before it'd start burning you.

Arcygenical said:
If it takes 5-6 seconds to burn you... It's fine.

If it was like, "INSTANT" pain then you'd have a problem ;).

Plus, 119c would BOIL water... and then some... So, if you can touch it :rolleyes:

**EDIT** I recommend a new NB HSF anyways, for good measure...

Jing Ting Forcetake should be on sale about now... over at Jab-Tech.com

Exactly. Its supposed to get hot. If that didnt get hot I would be worried!

If you can keep it on there for 5 seconds thats good!

As for the temps, make sure you use something accurate.

My P5N SLI was the same way. It got so hot it had heat scarring on it after a few days. It made the system unstable too, so I ended up doing the fan thing mentioned above, and eventually added it to the water-cooling loop.

Josh_Norem said:
My P5N SLI was the same way. It got so hot it had heat scarring on it after a few days. It made the system unstable too, so I ended up doing the fan thing mentioned above, and eventually added it to the water-cooling loop.
Lots of people say a waterblock on the Northbridge is useless.

I added one and my overclock was more stable, and my chipset only got up to 55c full load mid summer. Now I think it never passes 44c.

Borgschulze said:
Lots of people say a waterblock on the Northbridge is useless.

I added one and my overclock was more stable, and my chipset only got up to 55c full load mid summer. Now I think it never passes 44c.

I just added my P965 chip to my loop... It was DEFINITELY worth it...

Well, most northbridge chips don't get as hot as these Asus units for some resaon. I mean this NB heatsink that Asus had on there had HEAT SCARRING after like two days. It was nuclear, and you could not touch it. And my system was not stable at 3.0GHz.

I added the waterblock, temps went down to about 34C, and it's been stable ever since.

hehe, water evaporates at 100*C. Your speedfan reading is def. inaccurate. I'm running on the P5B deluxe, and it reads mine at 119c immediately after a cold boot. I physically checked my chipset and it seems plenty cool to me.

Back