Ok, laugh if you want...

Holdolin

Hard DC'er of the Month February 2021
Howdy folks, it's been a while. Some of you may remember me from a few years back crunching away on milkyway@home. When the AMD drivers blew up and my Ubuntu boxes just didn't want to crunch and in the middle of troubleshooting I got my electric bill of 1500 bucks, I simply walked downstairs and powered off my entire operation. I have also dabbled in folding@home from as far back as 2009. Now, what does any of that have to do with anything? Well, a couple of months ago I started folding again. I simply installed the client and copied my saved config file from our local file server. I looked up my stats and went to the page for the team and while I noticed no names I recognized and that the forums seemed a bit different I really didn't worry about it much. Ok, maybe a little, kinda like that thorn in your brain telling you something is amiss. As we speak, I am farting around with the F@H APIs as I fancy myself a shade-tree web developer. I'm looking at the JSON data from the teams pull and yup, i see team 32 which I was folding for, and right under it, team 33. Holy <radio edit> batman. I went to my BOINC account and sure enough, this is the team i was crunching with. So how was it I managed to fold for "the wrong team"? Y'all prolly see exactly what happened already. I fat-fingered the team number way back when when I made my template config file. So, I'm currently listening to my wife laugh at me, and going through my folders changing the team number. So, long and short, I'm back and folding now and happy to see those names I remember and meet those I don't :)

PS:
Sorry for the book. I guess my kids are right, I turn everything into a sermon :p

Thats funny. I have joined projects for contests before and realized midway through that i forgot to join the team. Nothing long term though.

Team 32 is overclockers.com

I happen to participate in a project that's DC but that's to create a map of the internet.
A few days ago I asked myself if I should leave the team i crawl for (old from called xs which I no longer visit ) i did have quite nice experiences but that was a while back and last I checked forum turned to be pretty much dead.

I happen to participate in a project that's DC but that's to create a map of the internet.
A few days ago I asked myself if I should leave the team i crawl for (old from called xs which I no longer visit ) i did have quite nice experiences but that was a while back and last I checked forum turned to be pretty much dead.
iThena by chance?

You mean the DC project ?
Majestic 12
Ahh...gotcha. Yeah...I run that one as well. Too bad they don't allow new user signups anymore. Actually, I think that I am the only person on the team that runs it now.

Ahh...gotcha. Yeah...I run that one as well. Too bad they don't allow new user signups anymore. Actually, I think that I am the only person on the team that runs it now.

Mind mentioning your nickname?
Could be done in private of course 😀

Indeed , it looks like most are using loads of servers rather than taking it as a hobby /ways to learn a bit about Linux and so on.

What sort of put me off is that most team members (don't get me wrong I do have very good friends from mj ) like to hide their findings / providers /tricks/ configs and I don't feel like there's a community spirit (maybe that changed after Movieman passed )

Indeed , it looks like most are using loads of servers rather than taking it as a hobby /ways to learn a bit about Linux and so on.

What sort of put me off is that most team members (don't get me wrong I do have very good friends from mj ) like to hide their findings / providers /tricks/ configs and I don't feel like there's a community spirit (maybe that changed after Movieman passed )
Yeah...most of us at least share with the team. We used to share everything in the open but as the DC community has become extremely competitive and very hostile towards each other, it has become somewhat necessary to be selective on what you put out there.

MJ was an odd duck even back when I joined. People can still earn money from Alex by running the client but IIRC they are no longer doing the science portion but rather just selling the webcrawling data to big corps. The fact that they let those of us with account keep crawling for them surprises me. And yes there were people renting out servers with configs and such a long time ago and probably still do. I have no idea if they make enough back to justify it or if they truly are still just competing with what remnants that are there. I just barely missed out on becoming a stock holder when they did the switch. Oh well.

Back