Ok, I purchased a 144hz Acer 27 inch Freesync monitor, did I do good?

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
I have never, until today, ever gamed at over 60hz refresh rate. Now, I decided to pick up this monitor: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-xf270h-27-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6096600.p?skuId=6096600

Now, I am running a Ryzen R5 2600 at 4.15 Ghz all core overclock and this card: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-am...aphics-card-black-red/6202343.p?skuId=6202343

Now, I have played Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider and even Batman: Arkham Knight and it seems to help. However, I was using a 27 inch LG IPS monitor at 1080p60 and truth be told, although it seems to be smoother on the Acer when I set the FPS to 144 Hz in each game, I am not certain if it is or and I experiencing wishful thinking a placebo effect?

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it. One thing that seems certain, I will have to adjust this monitor if I end up keeping it, it seems to be set to warm and to bright.

However, I was using a 27 inch LG IPS monitor at 1080p60 and truth be told, although it seems to be smoother on the Acer when I set the FPS to 144 Hz in each game, I am not certain if it is or and I experiencing wishful thinking a placebo effect?

What video card you got? Make sure your vid card can pull off 144Hz

I can notice a difference between 60 and 144 pretty easily. Make sure you set your windows monitor resolution to be 144hz. It should be a night and day difference even browsing the Web.

I can notice a difference between 60 and 144 pretty easily. Make sure you set your windows monitor resolution to be 144hz. It should be a night and day difference even browsing the Web.

Thanks. :) Since this is my first direct experience with a high refresh rate monitor, I just wanted to make sure it was for real and not just wishful thinking on my part. It is helping for sure and appears to be making a difference, at least to my 51 year old eyes. :D

as KazeoHin said, set windows to 144hz, also be sure to check FreeSync is enabled in the monitor control panel, and in the AMD control panel.. FreeSync tend to be disabled by default in both sides.. also you have to disable Vsync in all games and use a frame limitter (the AMD adrenalin have a built-in frame limitter which you can set to let's say 140fps).. also on some machines you have to play with any OSD turned off ( ie afterburner) or Freesync will be disabled you will notice if that's your case if screen tearing appear.

About the 144hz vs 60hz, the difference is astronomical in smoothing the gameplay, but also in a lot of scenarios in the perceived speed of the game and input lag.. high refresh rate + FreeSync it's a great experience specially on fast paced games.

You did good.

As others have said, make sure your machine knows it's got a 144hz display at it's disposal. Use a framerate counter to be sure your graphics settings are allowing you to use that extra refresh headroom.

Once you've verified you're using all your HZ, play with it for a while and then switch back to 60fps gameplay for a minute. You'll see immediately what you were missing before.

Welcome to the 144hz club. I'm 50 and my eyes aren't that great either. I just bought an LG 32" FreeSync 144Hz 1440p Monitor to pair with a nVidia RTX 2080 Ti and it's a beautiful experience. I am ruined. I can never go back to 60hz.

Bought this for $350

https://www.microcenter.com/product...qhd-144hz-dp-hdmi-freesync-gaming-led-monitor

just imagine how was mi situation in 2011-2012 (cant remember exactly) when I bought the BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080 120hz and up to today I was never able to go back to 60hz.. Just upgraded to the better version XL2420TE at 144hz and I still have that monitor in my daughter machine as upgraded my two machines to the ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q and LG 34UC89G-B. now im fucked as I can't go back to 16:9 and to 60hz haha..

Thanks dudes. :) I just realized something tonight, even though I have a comfortable gaming chair, I have been quite tensing up during my Tomb Raider gaming sessions and they have been causing a headache and painful muscle tension. I have been playing with my Xbox 360 controller, which I prefer in a game like Tomb Raider 2013, but I am going to have to force myself to relax. :D

Game play is smoother but, I also have my other computer that has a 43 inch Samsung 4k tv and Vega 56 GPU. It is just that, for some reason, since I started my month off from running, I suddenly wanted to game again and I have been gaming at least one or more hours every day for the last 9 days, at least. The Tomb Raider 2013 game is taking longer than I figured it would.

Well, I returned the Acer because although it was a good monitor, the brightness was uneven and what appeared to be a scratch on the left side near the top was on the screen. (Could have been a dead row of pixels though.) I did however buy this instead: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-CFG73-series-27-curved-monitor-C27FG73/739813796 (Got it for $299 though.)

The thing I did not realize was when running at 144hz and letting the machine run at 1080p, the FPS would be quite a bit higher, which I knew but, I had not realized the power draw would be higher as well. (I swapped my RX 570 8GB for my Vega 56 Reference Edition, which is flashed with a Vega 64 reference bios.) Well, when I overclocked my card and placed it 50% power limit, I drew to much power and overloaded my 800VA Cyberpower UPS, oops. :)

I moved the monitor to the non battery side and will not overclock at the moment. Now I get about 405 Watts of total system draw but, my hardware is being fully utilized. I have gamed on my Vega and my secondary computer now more in the last 2 weeks than I did in the year prior to owning my Vega. I am hooked.

Back