Ok, I got an i5-750? now what?

So I did a little upgrade yesterday, and replaced my o'l trusty e6600 and 680i with a i5-750, and a msi p55-cd65, and some new ram...
pinewoodderbyandmisc087.jpg

What kind of temps should I be getting, and what should I be worried about?

this is what my temps are looking like now...
2010-02-04123617.jpg

I tried the easy oc Gennie last night, got about 3.5 Ghz, but my load temps were in the mid 80s, so I turned it off, and I am were I am now.

The maximum temperature for your CPU is 100C, so you really don't have to worry about anything unless you start getting into the 90s. ~80C load temps are fine if you're overclocking, although keep in mind that using OC Genie will most likely result in the motherboard using an excessive CPU voltage, so you can reduce your temperatures by tweaking the overclock settings.

small update.
I just reseated/cleaned my hsf, and I used ac5 this time. I'll try some more ocing later on tonight. Is there a well written guide for overclocking the i5? The BIOS is much different from my 680i

Wonder how long my E6600 is gonna last.. Best cpu ever.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/08/25/intel_core_i5750_overclocking_preview/1

Hard did a preview of the i5 750's overclocking ability. They didn't use the same mb as you, but it is a MSI (G80 I believe). They don't actually show you the bios settings, but you can get the important stuff from their CPU-Z screenshots (cpu vcore, multiplier, frequency, dimm voltage, etc).

If you compare what the OC Genie did to what they did manually, you will see that Zero82z is right about the genie playing it safe with voltages. They pushed it to 4.0GHz without increasing the voltage much above what the Genie used for 3.5GHz.

Glad I'm not the only one in need of some cable management on a 1200. Nice upgrade btw.

I am pretty sure you need to be using one of the new Realtemp versions, possibly the betas to get accurate temps on the i5 750.

Glad I'm not the only one in need of some cable management on a 1200. Nice upgrade btw.
lol yeah... at that point, I had everything pulled apart still... Just reinstalling windows at that point with one hard drive plugged in. Lots of cables in there! Yeah, overall i'm really impressed. I have a buyer lined up for my old components hopefully soon. I'll hold on to my gpu a bit longer and wait and see.
Awesome. Thanks. I have a little more reading all over... I don't really care for the OCgenie button, as it cranks up my voltage to 1.4 volts, and I really want to keep my temps around 80 at tops. I am back to manual overclocking; got a nice stable 2912.6 MHz (145.6x20 @1.288V) my voltage is set to auto still. Temps are: Idle: 32,34,34,29,... and Load temps are 63,65,62,62...
stable prime95 for about 3 hours now... about to crank it up a notch..

Last edited:
I am pretty sure you need to be using one of the new Realtemp versions, possibly the betas to get accurate temps on the i5 750.
Well, I downloaded Realtemp 3.4 (the latest version) same temps as coretemp. and they seem about accurate...

in your screenshot your tjmax is set to 99c and that's fine. temps are accurate.

you can most definitely push an i5-750 higher than you have with far less voltage. keep on tweakin'. :D

Well, I downloaded Realtemp 3.4 (the latest version) same temps as coretemp. and they seem about accurate...
Current versions of both Core Temp and Real Temp will report the same values and will be accurate with modern Intel CPUs.

Yeah, I pushed mine to 4.0ghz w/ 1.301 voltage, I really havent tried to go higher, since LinX pack testing drives it to 84 C during stress testing. Prime on the other hand will be about 5 C lower, these things run hot during stress testing but even full load during gaming, I never see temps over 70ish C.

Yuck never use automated overclocking.

What's next: flashing bioses in Windows? Running overclocking software instead of bios?

Get your hands dirty and start to tweak in the bios. I see you have 8gb of 1600mhz memory so you might need a little more memory controller voltage to get going. I don't know what it's called on p55, but on x58 it's QPI voltage or CPU VTT. Then start bumping the voltage and bumping the BCLK ;)

IMG_1619.jpg

There it is... 2nd down... I still have everything set to auto right now. is there an application that will tell me what the actual values are when they are set to auto, so I can input them manually? and then tweak them lower a bit so everything runs cooler? cpu-z just gives me the cpu core voltage...

update: stable 3.212 GHz.. (160.6*20).. Load temps are maxing out at 62C. Looks like I got some head room still.

Just to add another data point - I started overclocking my i5 750 this week after running it stock for a while (or close @ 160x17 for 2.72GHz). Added the 212+ cooler and just bumped my multi up to 19x160 for 3.04GHz. Cores are idling at 23-28C with loads of 46-48C running linpack for 20min. I think I'll go for 20x next and see what happens - though did I read somewhere that these chips o/c better using odd multipliers? On stock volts so far (shows 1.10v in hwmonitor). Other parts in sig - system #2.

Last edited:
I used Gigabyte's windows tool to test some "rough" settings (using Linpack), then fine-tuned in bios. This seemed to be much faster than constantly rebooting ;) Maybe this is bad practice though.

fun update: (well I found it quite interesting...)

I took the core voltage off of auto.. I figured that cpu-z was reading a steady 1.28V before on auto under load... so I went back into the BIOS and manualy put in 1.201V... keeping the 3.2GHz OC... Not only is it stable, but my load temps are 4-5 cooler now. cpu-z is reading 1.192V idle, 1.16V on load. slight v-droop but nowhere as near bad as my 680i mobo.

Keeping tweaking later on today...:cool:

fun update: (well I found it quite interesting...)

I took the core voltage off of auto.. I figured that cpu-z was reading a steady 1.28V before on auto under load... so I went back into the BIOS and manualy put in 1.201V... keeping the 3.2GHz OC... Not only is it stable, but my load temps are 4-5 cooler now. cpu-z is reading 1.192V idle, 1.16V on load. slight v-droop but nowhere as near bad as my 680i mobo.

Keeping tweaking later on today...:cool:

Yeah, I found the same thing on my Gigabyte motherboard. With CPU voltage on Auto I was getting load temps at stock speeds of mid/high 70's. That seemed ridiculous, so I changed the voltage setting (I think it's called "normal") and the load temps went down 15C to about 60C. Then they went down another 10+C to the high 40's when I finally got an aftermarket cooler.

I was able to easily get 4.0ghz out of mine. Temps never reach 50c even under full load.
see sig

I was able to easily get 4.0ghz out of mine. Temps never reach 50c even under full load.
see sig
water cooling works wonders I suppose. right now i'm sitting at 3.451 GHz @1.2V

...My load temps are hitting 64-65 range. I tried for an even 3.5GHz, but there was not enough voltage to push it, and I don't want to take it too much warmer...

Back