OK, here goes

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
First off, if this subject has been beat to death and the same questions have been asked over and over I appologize. :rolleyes:

What I've done is order a Dell Financial Services refurbished D610 m (1.730 Ghz, DVDRW) with only 256 MB's of RAM. Thru a little lapse in careful attention I orderd 2x 512 MB RAM cards and 1x 1 GB RAM card. :( What I'd like is a knowlegeable opinion whether I'd be better off using a 1 GB card + 512 MB RAM card or using 2x 512 MB RAM cards :confused: I'll probably get another 1 GiG RAM card and max out at 2 GB's, but for the time bein' I think the 2x 512 modules will run dual channel and the 1 GB + 512 MB's modules won't (I don't think this lappy has the "Flex memory" thing :()

My original ideer was to get the lappy, not as a desktop replacement and certainly not to WC' like my 2x Q6600 G0's, but as my mobile, surfing, listening to music, fart around boxen to keep from interupting either one of my 2x 24/7 GPU2 + SMP (using clock cycles) , WC'ed, Q6600 G0's :p

Thanks a moondo for any reply ;)

DCing for the CURE

Really, the only way to know for sure is to install and test it. Ideally, in the long run 2 x 1GB would be best. But, I'd go ahead and test 2 x 512GB+1GB and see what happens. Boot it with Memtest for a full pass before trying your OS. That should let you know right away what's up.

www.memtest.org

Thanks for the fast reply Mike :D Yeah D'oh, I've been screwin' around with computers long enough to know the ole' sayin' "if you wanna' know for shore how a computers gonna' react, try it out yourself" (within reason) :(

I guess I was just bein' a little lazy :rolleyes:

DCing for the CURE

I know the feeling and of course it never hurts to ask just in case there is an easy answer or if you were about to blow something up. But, with mixing memory, it's unpredictable sometimes as there are so many variables. Let us know how it goes.:cool:

You probably wont notice a difference being in single channel except for benchmarks. Good luck with the lappy.

Thanks for all your help. I think I will just spring for the 2 gb sticks and see what happens.

Back