ok first try at BF2 and I want to ask a few things

sparks

2[H]4U
BEFORE I flame this game as the sorriest most ridiculous programmed game I have ever seen I have to ask a few questions.
I have been playing these types of games since df1. I have played aa and made 88 so I am not a noob at it either.

BUT THIS GAME...damn what a screwed up mess

flying tanks...I think they call them planes in BF2.
last night was my first try at sniping. I crawl under a bunch of palm trees and a jet flies over and drops a bomb on my head. 1 BOMB direct hit. NOT ONCE BUT 4 times in 5 minuts.
WTF
guns that are so inaccurate that the manufacture should be taken out and shot with a good gun because with one of these at 4 feet you would probably miss.

squad leaders that can't do anything but spam..then ask how do I deploy supplies.

this game is F up big time.

but they said the 1.03 patch made it worse?
YOU CANT BE SERIOUS?
worse?

what did they do to make it worse.
if they go this way will the next patch just not boot...
NO that would be better.

thanks for opinions on all this
AND HOW THE HELL can people post what a great game this is?
Are they stupid or ignorant of what a good game is?
It reminds me of the whiner programming. Its where you change the game
to whatever will shut up the whiners.
in here it was (whiney voice) but they keep shooting me or I can't hit anything make them stop killing me. Oh those snipers are soo mean, maybe I should hit one with my purse if I could get close enough. Oh I tried flying but I broke a nail...can you make the planes do this instead?

Reload land the damn thing :)
Unlimited flares and 3 hits to bring down what moron wrote that?
oh I am a mechanic I can fix it while I fly....WTF idiot came up with that one.
get out and fix it ROFL

sparks

Yeah, the game clearly sucks. That's why it's the 3rd most popular online game right now.

I enjoy BF2 immensely. The 1.03 patch did not make things worse. It made most things better actually, at least in my opinion. As for squad leaders that don't know how to deploy supplies, that's not the games fault, that's the squad leader's fault. So what if you had a bomb dropped on you a few times, some pilots are very good at what they do while others just suck snot. I've had hundreds of times as a sniper that a pilot has attempted to drop a bomb on me and completely missed while other times they either direct hit or hit close enough to kill me. If the game was dumbed down to make hitting targets with dropping bombs easier I would think that nobody would miss then but that's just not the case.

Ok, so some of the guns aren't very accurate, but sometimes it's just the person. I personally love being a sniper and I have a lot of kills as a sniper. Sure, sometimes I'm aiming at an enemy and my crosshairs are right on target but when I pull the trigger I still miss them but more often than not I miss because of me not because of the weapon's accuracy.

Look, I'm not trying to dissuade you or say you don't know what you're talkin about or anything like that. I'm just saying that it's a game and enjoy it for what it is. It's a fun game if you think of it only as a game but if you keep thinking things like, "This wouldn't be this way in real life," then with any game these days you're going to be sorely disappointed. Sure, some things if they were modeled after "real life" would be pretty cool and actually add to the games fun but not everything.

OP I agree with you, I am very dissapointed in this game, and it ranks top of the list as the worst gamming purchase I have made this year.

However, you are likely to recieve flammes from a lot of poster here. Some of the most common ones are:

1. Learn to play (noob)
2. I have never run into the problems you describe
3. The bugs are small relative to the fun in the gameplay
4. Learn to setup your computer (noob)
5. Get a better internet connection
6. BF2 is better then <insert crappy FPS title in typical strawman fashion>
7. Play on a private server Pubs are for noobs.

Im sure there are more, but these seem to be the most common.

Yeah... I really fucking hate this game. It pisses me off so much. Yet, I still play it all the time. :eek:

The patch didn't make things worse. :rolleyes:

The weapons do suck... From what I have read the developers have done this on purpose, basically because people were complaining about dying all the time. It was possible to snipe with most weapons. Anyway, switch the gun to semi-auto mode and the accuracy will improve. The G36C is probably the best weapon in the game. You have to unlock it though.

Flying tanks... Yeah a lot of people have problems with them. Still, you have to be skilled as a pilot to rack up the kills in the air so those guys have my respect. I don't get hit by them often.

Find a decent server with some good squad leaders and commanders and you will find the game is more enjoyable.

It takes some time to get used to the game. I still have good and bad nights and I have been playing since release. Anyway, I really do hate this game but there is nothing else like it that has a decent player population so it looks like I'm stuck with it...

Bring on Quake Wars!

If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I was tired of getting bombed by planes, so I learned how to fly planes and bomb other people.

I was tired of gettin' blown up by tanks behind walls, so I hopped in a tank and shot 'em back.

I was tired of artillery droppin' on my head after neutralizing a flag, so I became a commander and did it to the other team.

See a pattern here?

I don't understand the whining about this game. We ALL play under the same conditions with the same vehicles and same weapons. Why is this not fair?!?! The OP clearly cannot play games online AT ALL. Stick with the SP stuff then you can live in a happy world with flowers and cotton candy where everything is soft and fluffy.

:D

it is an awesome game, you just have to get "good" at it (read, learn how to pwn n00bz0rs with teh plane of doom!)

sparks said:
thanks for opinions on all this
AND HOW THE HELL can people post what a great game this is?
Are they stupid or ignorant of what a good game is?
It reminds me of the whiner programming. Its where you change the game
to whatever will shut up the whiners.

Nice getting all personal. This is where you lose it all. All you attract to comment are people who wholeheartedly agree with you. Who are the whiners again? :rolleyes:

yep 3rd most popular doesn't mean its worth a crap. Lots of idiots buy games and brag on them just because they have it.

The flying tanks....well when you can put 3 missiles in a plane before its destroyed is stupid pure and simple. this was tested on the nvidia official server so I know its not a hack site.
The pilot was a mechanic but did NOT try in any way to repair the plane.

Bombs, pilots accurate or not,
1 how did he know where I was?
2 if you can drop a bomb directly on a hidden player flying at 500 knots you are better than good.
3 plane pilot finished the round with 46 0
can you say hack?

is it true that ea refuses to ban cd keys for know hackers ?

I asked ea support and they did not (or will not) respond to this.

it could be a fun game...but its just not me I guess...waste of money
I guess hackers love this game.

of course my 6 friends who play it every night curse at it continuously but keep going back
One of them is a VERY good player and says that it would be great if EA would do something about air vehicles--but his big gripe is team kills and the way that he killed 3 enemy he saw and 1 friendly he didn't see with a grenade or some such and it was all his fault.

but even he plays it a LOT so it must have some good qualities.

sparks

sparks said:
2 if you can drop a bomb directly on a hidden player flying at 500 knots you are better than good.

1 Ever heard of a UAV or scan?
2 Do you realize how large the splash damage of a bomb is? It doesn't have to be on your head to blow you up. That makes bombing a stationary target EASY no matter how small it is. (learn how to snipe and move)
3 So? I've seen the same scores from pilots. If there's no one manning the AA turrets or bothering them in fighters, pilots will rule the skies un-challenged. You should have jumped in an AA turret and scared him off or jumped in a jet and engaged him.

You just need to spend more time getting to know the strengths and weaknesses of the enemy's tactics.

It all kinda depends on what you're trying to "accomplish" while playing the game, too. Maybe you're trying to get your sniper badge so you went to the same "great sniping spot" to get some kills. But I guarantee you, if your objective was to get that jet, you would have gotten it done. Ya shouldn't complain about things you could have changed if you had acted. :D

i like to hit what i shoot at ...

cs:s, dod:s, cod, cod2, moh:aa, quake, doom, far cry, half-life, unreal, etc ...

don't have a problem with games but bf2 ... spay and prey

It's a truley unique game with some bugs that need fixing, but the fact is there isn't anything like it so we live with it...

Some problems I see

* Anti Air lock on is stupid, you constantly lock onto an enemy only to have it lock onto a teammate and you get TK...
* Engineers still get TK points when someone stupidly runs over your mines
* Name tags still only show up when you point at the person... they should be there ALL the time
* Sniper still stucks, needs to be one hit kill
* On some maps the water and shoreline makes it so you get stuck from time to time

There's more, but I can't remmember them all...

Just play it!

Hold on; CS:S? You think you hit what you shoot at in CS:S, one of the games with the most poorly-coded hit reg to date? Killing people after they've run around a corner is not good hit reg.

However, the rest i agreee with, even DoD:S, with the shittiest massively overreactive recoil and weediest, most unfit soldiers a game has ever had

Check out the reality mod for bf2 if you want more acurate/stronger weapons. Less shots to kill all, tanks/planes/helo/people. A much more "realistic" feel to it, no more super soldiers who can take 4 shots to the head before dieing. www.realitymod.com

I like the reality mod much better than vanilla bf2, but that is just me. Cant wait for them to release the full mod (right now it is a mini mod).

Oh sorry for getting off track on this post.

most of my friends playing the game don't have the best systems in the world.
2 have ati 9200 video cards. I think all of them are running intel P4 around 3 gigs
and 1 gig of junk momory.

They asked me if going to 2 gigs would help them.
I believe that going to a better video card would help more.

what should they do get better video card or more memory?
I vote both LOL

they are running 1024 with low settings.
I am not sure about the other cards they are running.

I am running a x800xl and I feel that its ok (nothing special) with 1 gig and didn't
think I needed more yet...maybe I am wrong...two days of this was all I could stand.

sparks

Honestly... if they want smooth playin' and don't mine having lower graphics then raise the ram, cause it'll lower load times and you won't skip as much.

Check my sig... Before I got 2gb I couldn't run at max, but now I can and it's silky smooth... at 1600x1200

Honestly both would be the best, but push to shove bang-for-buck they might be better of with $70 upgrade of RAM

then wait a month or so and get a 6800 or something, since bf2 is nvidia game...

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
Check out the reality mod for bf2 if you want more acurate/stronger weapons. Less shots to kill all, tanks/planes/helo/people. A much more "realistic" feel to it, no more super soldiers who can take 4 shots to the head before dieing. www.realitymod.com

I like the reality mod much better than vanilla bf2, but that is just me. Cant wait for them to release the full mod (right now it is a mini mod).
THANKS for that link to the reality mod.
I'm thinking of hosting that on my server... I've got a pretty kick server.
I'll update information on my forum... http://www.stormlifter.net/sf in the games section.
That forum is mostly just for friends, but I'd like to expand... I'll post here info on the IP and such when I host it, but I need some more $$$ to upgrade the server so it'll run perfectly.

Thanks again for the link!

Wow.... just wow...

As for bombs: With a UAV overcheat (or a commander spotted enemy) and good pilot could easly drop bombs right on a single person. Even easier if they dive straight down from an Alt of 700.

As for weapon accuracy: Not realistic, but..... Not that bad. I rarely have times that I think "that will hit" and miss. Personally I like the AK-47/101 weapons the best. More damage per round than the M16, accurate enough, and capable of full auto if needed (point blank where you can't miss, I usually fire it in 3-4 round bursts, or have it in single fire mode). The M95 could do more damage, but accuracy is good enough, people with skill with it usually seem to get hits fairly easily. It is satifying to be on the carrier with an enemy jet coming straight on and killing the pilot.

As for squad leaders: That sounds like a people problem instead of a game problem.

Flares: If you get the angle rights when shooting missiles, the flares don't always work.

Good pilots can easily go a whole round without being killed. Personally I love finding AA missiles that are manned. I flight high enough that they can't aim at me, then I dive straight down and use guns/missles and I get quite a few kills on these guys. I always fly at around 650-730 and only go lower to engage enemies or reload/repair.

The game itself is not the best out there, and has more than its fair shares of bugs, but is quite fun. My dream would be a similar themed game but with Falcon 4 level flight sim, a good navy and tank sim, and a realistic infantry component. I'll probably never see it, so I'll settle for this unrealistic garbage.

sparks said:
yep 3rd most popular doesn't mean its worth a crap. Lots of idiots buy games and brag on them just because they have it.

The flying tanks....well when you can put 3 missiles in a plane before its destroyed is stupid pure and simple. this was tested on the nvidia official server so I know its not a hack site.
The pilot was a mechanic but did NOT try in any way to repair the plane.

Bombs, pilots accurate or not,
can you say hack?

is it true that ea refuses to ban cd keys for know hackers ?

I asked ea support and they did not (or will not) respond to this.

it could be a fun game...but its just not me I guess...waste of money
I guess hackers love this game.

of course my 6 friends who play it every night curse at it continuously but keep going back
One of them is a VERY good player and says that it would be great if EA would do something about air vehicles--but his big gripe is team kills and the way that he killed 3 enemy he saw and 1 friendly he didn't see with a grenade or some such and it was all his fault.

but even he plays it a LOT so it must have some good qualities.

sparks

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch. A engy pilot cannot repair that plane, 2 missiles will kill a plane or at least set it on fire. If you think the weapons are that innacurate, your just using the wrong gun or you kind of suck. The rifles are lethal at long range. Your points are completely unfounded. Learn to play the game and then judge.

OP is mostly right. The competitive community (CAL, etc) has complained about the same issues you bring up about the original BF as well, but at least the first shot from a gun in 42 actually went where you aimed. BF2 made it even worse with the indestructible planes (in the hands of a good pilot) and the randomized weapon spray plus the added bonus of jump-proning bunnies sporting nade launchers. EA knows that catering a game to the lowest common denominator is the best way to sell copies.

Luckily the same skilled group that salvaged BF42 competition has stepped up with the BFPro mod for BF2. Gun accuracy is upgraded with a number of other gameplay and map tweaks all aimed at making the game less random, more balanced, and more rewarding to play for the skilled gamer. Check it out at: http://www.bfpro.com

zacas said:
i like to hit what i shoot at ...

cs:s, dod:s, cod, cod2, moh:aa, quake, doom, far cry, half-life, unreal, etc ...

don't have a problem with games but bf2 ... spay and prey

Yeah, you mean like real life? Real life IS spray and pray...unless you possess the skill and accuracy. You can play video games all you like that let you "kill" your opponent by shooting in the general vicinity, but that's not reality. BF2 - like it or not - seems more realistic to me.

J-Dog said:
Yeah, you mean like real life? Real life IS spray and pray...unless you possess the skill and accuracy. You can play video games all you like that let you "kill" your opponent by shooting in the general vicinity, but that's not reality. BF2 - like it or not - seems more realistic to me.

But BF is not a realistic game either. Fact of the matter is that the cone of fire (CoF) in BF2 is NOT fun. The past BF games had decent CoF, BF2 does not... CoF if implemented well, like in the Call of Duty games, can be a lot of fun and still make the user feel like skill matters. Currently, the BF2 CoF system levels the playing ground too much... So much so it feels unbalanced and broken. It feels like I am playing an RPG rolling the dice hoping I will get a hit.

BF2 CoF blows. :rolleyes:

Well, it's a good think you asked some questions before flamming the game... :rolleyes:

J-Dog said:

If I were to tell the instructor, during C7A1 rifle certification that I was spraying and praying, I think its a safe bet I would be carrying a cut-off broom stick for a long time.

Yeah I feel the way as you do to the original poster.The game was fun at first but then the novelty and enjoyment wore off.Now all I care about is points :rolleyes: I give this game a 4 out of 10. Im selling the game too.Fuck Battlefield2 :D

sc4r4b said:
Yeah... I really fucking hate this game. It pisses me off so much. Yet, I still play it all the time. :eek:

The patch didn't make things worse. :rolleyes:

The weapons do suck... From what I have read the developers have done this on purpose, basically because people were complaining about dying all the time. It was possible to snipe with most weapons. Anyway, switch the gun to semi-auto mode and the accuracy will improve. The G36C is probably the best weapon in the game. You have to unlock it though.

Flying tanks... Yeah a lot of people have problems with them. Still, you have to be skilled as a pilot to rack up the kills in the air so those guys have my respect. I don't get hit by them often.

Find a decent server with some good squad leaders and commanders and you will find the game is more enjoyable.

It takes some time to get used to the game. I still have good and bad nights and I have been playing since release. Anyway, I really do hate this game but there is nothing else like it that has a decent player population so it looks like I'm stuck with it...

Bring on Quake Wars!

My thoughts exactly

BF1942 > BF2

why? BF1942 worked online and WWII is a much more fitting era for gameplay like BF

It would be cool if they made a WWII mod for BF2 but the bugs would still be there...

Or if they just release a upgraded BF1942 ah dreams...

Draax said:
If I were to tell the instructor, during C7A1 rifle certification that I was spraying and praying, I think its a safe bet I would be carrying a cut-off broom stick for a long time.

My point exactly. You had training...makes you a better marksman. I do agree that the CoF is screwed up, and there are times I'm like WTF? - just shot someone 13 times and they shot me once and I died, but complaining about the accuracy during a gunfight that can stretch distances is silly. For anyone actually been in combat, you know that accuracy usually decreases (drastically) when your adrenaline starts pumping. Add longer distances and accuracy decreases more.

I think what he's trying to say is the actual gameplay of this game really isnt great. They focused more on putting a ton of extras into the game rather than actual gameplay.

In my eyes TFC(not realistic at all) has the best gameplay out of any multiplayer FPS. My question is why do we care if the game is realistic or not... I just want the game to be fun. I guess everyone has different opinions on what makes a game fun.

Vtecaddict said:
I think what he's trying to say is the actual gameplay of this game really isnt great. They focused more on putting a ton of extras into the game rather than actual gameplay.

In my eyes TFC(not realistic at all) has the best gameplay out of any multiplayer FPS. My question is why do we care if the game is realistic or not... I just want the game to be fun. I guess everyone has different opinions on what makes a game fun.

But that is untrue! There is no "extra" element that does not add to the overall amount of fun in this game. Point out a single thing that is out of place or not fun for at least someone?

Back