OK cable modem purchase?

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm moving to an apartment building. The main provider is Comcast, and I want to buy a cable modem to save money and not pay the rental fee.

My plan is to get the Performance Pro plan from Comcast which is 75 MBPS.

I know a cheaper 8x4 channel modem would be enough, but with all the Comcast accounts in the building would it make prudent sense to buy a 16x4 cable modem like the Arris SB6183 so the modem could pick less congested channels? Does the channel picking even work that way? I see that Arris also has a 32x8 channel modem, but that is D 3.0, and with 3.1 coming out, maybe it doesn't make sense to pay the extra $30 for that.

Thanks for any comments.

You will get a number of channels assigned to your modem based on the plan you select and how Comcast provisions the area. It is possible to get a 32x8 modem and the ISP will provision it 4x4 if that suits your plan and the area OK. Buying a higher end modem doesn't mean your modem will use all the channels to establish a better connection.

Having said that, I went from a Motorola/Arris 6141 (8x4) to a newer Motorola 7420 (8x4) and it fixed some infrequent disconnects and bad latency issues I had. It uses the same channels as before (8x4), it just works better due to improved and newer hardware.

Yeah, I understand I won't get more channels than I paid for. Was just wondering if it would help with the congestion. I'm sure around 6 to 9 pm will just be terrible in the large apartment.

Thanks for alerting me to the new 7420 model.

I've been running a SB6183 for a few months now without a problem. I have 75/10. I don't think the channel selection works the way you think it does.

I've been running a SB6183 for a few months now without a problem. I have 75/10. I don't think the channel selection works the way you think it does.

I think you are right that the channel selection doesn't pick "less congested" ones. Good to hear the SB6183 has been working well for you.

OK I bought the Motorola 7420. Hopefully it all goes OK.

Now to pick a WIFI router.

It's important to understand the distinction between different modems that have both used the Motorola name at different points in time, but are in fact made by totally different companies with very different levels of quality.

Arris acquired Motorola Mobility's home unit (the former General Instrument company) back in April 2013. They then signed a one year (later extended to two years) agreement to continue using the Motorola name. This has now expired. You still see some inventory labeled Motorola but for the most part most branding should be changed to Arris at this point. These are VERY good cablemodems and the continuation of the absolutely rock-solid Motorola surfboard line. (SB6141, SB6183, SB6190, etc)

At the beginning of this year, Zoom (Zoom Telephonics) signed a 5-year deal with Motorola Mobility to use the Motorola brand name on their CableModems. These modems are absolute pieces of shit. (MB7220, MB7420, etc)

Point is, they are NOT made by the same company, they are made by two completely different companies who, at different times, each had a license to use the Motorola name. The Arris surfboard modems are the ones that you want.

The MB7420 is in NO WAY a "successor" to the SB6141, SB6183, SB6190, etc. Although I'm sure it wasn't an accident or coincidence that they used a higher model number that might give those looking for a "Motorola" modem that impression. The 7420 is made by Zoom and I wouldn't touch those modems with a 10-foot pole, but maybe you will get lucky with yours.

Last edited:
It's important to understand the distinction between different modems that have both used the Motorola name at different points in time, but are in fact made by totally different companies with very different levels of quality.

Arris acquired Motorola Mobility's home unit (the former General Instrument company) back in April 2013. They then signed a one year (later extended to two years) agreement to continue using the Motorola name. This has now expired. You still see some inventory labeled Motorola but for the most part most branding should be changed to Arris at this point. These are VERY good cablemodems and the continuation of the absolutely rock-solid Motorola surfboard line. (SB6141, SB6183, SB6190, etc)

At the beginning of this year, Zoom (Zoom Telephonics) signed a 5-year deal with Motorola Mobility to use the Motorola brand name on their CableModems. These modems are absolute pieces of shit. (MB7220, MB7420, etc)

Point is, they are NOT made by the same company, they are made by two completely different companies who, at different times, each had a license to use the Motorola name. The Arris surfboard modems are the ones that you want.

The MB7420 is in NO WAY a "successor" to the SB6141, SB6183, SB6190, etc. Although I'm sure it wasn't an accident or coincidence that they used a higher model number that might give those looking for a "Motorola" modem that impression. The 7420 is made by Zoom and I wouldn't touch those modems with a 10-foot pole, but maybe you will get lucky with yours.

Thanks for clearing that up and taking the time to reply. I did look at a few Zooms and decided I didn't want to get anything from them, so I will be returning the MB7420 I bought and going with the Arris SB6183 instead.

+1 on the arris modems. I've had 3. Rock solid. Had one that had a flakey LAN port, but tech support and RMA couldn't have been better. I'm rockin a 6190 currently.

Check your area. If you running a 16x4 area get a modem that supports it. Should allow you to keep your provisioned speed under heavy load. I use a cheap zoom 16x4 without issues on my 100/10 twc connection

Back