Oil and Gas Operations Could Trigger Large Earthquakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make the material that allows the cement to be completely no go to water or gas migration. Add 600 mesh silica flour to concrete and the psi goes to 11,000, permeability of zero and it resists thermal breakdown to 1200F.

Just wondering, how does it handle crack propagation? You can still make the hardest cement on the planet and microcracks will still grow when under constant pressure. Also, how thick are the concrete casings typically? I'm not trying to contend anything...I'm actually just curious.

Just wondering, how does it handle crack propagation? You can still make the hardest cement on the planet and microcracks will still grow when under constant pressure. Also, how thick are the concrete casings typically? I'm not trying to contend anything...I'm actually just curious.

That's why there are multiple layers of concrete AND steel to protect the potable water table.

Utterly false. You have zero facts that lots of corners have been cut. Do you actually think any production company wants leaks? From a purely self interest standpoint it is expensive to fix and hurts the production of the wells and leads to potential liability issues. No company wants a well to leak.
So if no corners are cut, how is groundwater being contaminated when a frakking operation starts? If they're not being cut, that means they're literally incapable of preventing it from happening. While not frakking, in the case of BP, corners WERE being cut. You talk about self-interest, but you're thinking at a higher levels than a lot of companies do. If you can save time and cut costs by 25% by using cheaper materials or less thorough safety operations and you have a 98% success rate, they just have to compare that against the costs of a potential failure and the likelihood of it reaching court or some governing body. 99.9% would be better, but if that means 25% extra costs immediately, delayed production, then it's not in management's self-interest to do so if the financial risks are low enough. It's the same reasoning HSBC used for laundering money for criminal organizations over a decade, they knew the consequences were too low to stop doing it, it was good money.

You have had no response to the fact you have no answer for how modern society would in fact power it's daily life.

Complaining about decorum is the last vestige of arguing a point on nothing but sheer faith.

You want green renewable clean reliable dense energy. It does not exist.
This is absolutely true, that's why it represents such a conundrum. There is no full replacement to fossil fuels. The way we're operating our society is simply unsustainable, but hard stops to energy production would be cataclysmic also. On the other hand, polluting the groundwater is fairly horrific, so it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The only solution would be for society to start scaling down its use of resources, but that goes so against the mainstream way of thinking, it's practically impossible until some sort of collapse.

So if no corners are cut, how is groundwater being contaminated when a frakking operation starts?

1 There is a very limited (i.e 4 wells). That have shown contamination.
2. Fracking has nothing to do with cementing.
3. Sometimes the cement develops avulsions or annuls.

In every case but those 4 the ground water was not contaminated by anything to do with the well. It was other higher naturally occurring methane/ethane migration.

In the case of BP that has nothing to do with fracking at all. You would have to be arguing to stop all O&G. You lose that argument instantly.

You are sort of on the right track with the risk math but have greatly over simplified it. Plus the downside is much higher and the risks are tremendous. Some operators do that and they don't last long. For instance an operator here just got busted for using a pond liner that was not up to spec. there was no leak but the liner didn't have some certification the state wanted. $600,000 fine and they had to pay to have every liner they put in the last 2 years replaced and cannot place a new well sight without sign-off from the state. It cost them several to tens of millions of dollars. Does that sound like low risk to you?

It handles cracking it incredibly well. At 11,000 psi it does not crack easily. It was originally designed for use in geothermal steam wells. High temperatures, pressure and cracks lead to catastrophic problems in that application. The problem was it was incredibly expensive and SLOW to manufacture that material. I found a much faster way to make the material. We have had every single service company we have spoken to embrace us on the use (and extra cost) of this product.

tetris42 said:
While not frakking, in the case of BP
In the case of BP that has nothing to do with fracking at all. You would have to be arguing to stop all O&G. You lose that argument instantly.
Yes, you win, it's not frakking, that's why I specifically said that. :eek: It's called an ANALOGY. BP also does drilling. They cut corners on safety, many of them, this has been proven. They had a huge screwup. It was to prove a point that the self-interest argument doesn't hold up at all if short term profits are to be gained. You're making it sound like that's impossible in the frakking industry. It sure as hell isn't in the rest of the oil industry.

Some operators do that and they don't last long
So what, if they do damage before they're gone, that just reinforces the point.

So what, if they do damage before they're gone, that just reinforces the point.

Read his posting history. 38 posts in all of 6 years, but technically active for little more than 4 1/2 years, 34 posts within the last 8 months. Nearly all of them with insults.

Claims to have two kids out of the house and in college, so what we have here is a very bitter, broken old man who just has to spew his piss and vinegar all over a tech forum.

When you're dealing with someone whose logic is parroted right-wing talking points like this one:

HAHA Climate change true believers.

Guys they can't tell us what the weather is gonna be in 5 FIVE days. Why in the hell would I believe that know what the hell is going on in 50 years?

Then there really isn't much point in doing anything but putting the sad troll on ignore like I have. Might as well do the same since it's all about "winning" to him. Don't respond and he'll disappear quick.

Last but not least, remember.

Companies making mistakes and contaminating the ground, freshwater supply is just a cost of doing business that will get passed onto everyone else. And THAT'S PERFECTLY OKAY because Fracking is good for you.

BP also does drilling.
Actually, no they don't, that was deep water horizon, they were the drilling contractor and I think it was a Halliburton rep on the service company side.

So using your logic, we must discontinue O&G production, computer manufacture, automobiles and all other manufacturing that could result in the harm of any location or person because mistakes get made and they could just choose to accept the consequences or go out of business first.

It is short sighted and frankly not even close to a rational adult position or understanding of the world we actually have to live in.

So using your logic, we must discontinue O&G production, computer manufacture, automobiles and all other manufacturing that could result in the harm of any location or person because mistakes get made and they could just choose to accept the consequences or go out of business first.
You're putting hyperbolic words in my mouth. If the system has too many failures, I would argue tighter regulation if the current methods aren't adequate, or if they are, but aren't being followed properly, then raise the charges. Enforce it as a criminal offense with actual prison time if willful negligence is being shown. But whatever, you seem to have your mind made up with everything I'm saying.

You don't even know the technical terms.

Injection wells dispose of PRODUCED fluid. The typical frac job is around 300,000 to 1 million gallons of mostly fresh water. When producing a well, you will get around 50% of this back. The rest of the produced fluid is water associated with oil and gas production. This is anywhere between 500,000 to 2 million BARRELS of produced water over the life of the well.

Disposal wells far predate fracs, and even if we stopped every frac from now on - the wells are still producing water.

So, if your preliminary answer was wastewater is bad, so injections wells are bad, so we should stop creating wastewater - the only logical thing to do - from your point of view - is immediately cease ALL oil and gas production in the United States.

Read his posting history. 38 posts in all of 6 years, but technically active for little more than 4 1/2 years, 34 posts within the last 8 months. Nearly all of them with insults.

Claims to have two kids out of the house and in college, so what we have here is a very bitter, broken old man who just has to spew his piss and vinegar all over a tech forum.

When you're dealing with someone whose logic is parroted right-wing talking points like this one:

Then there really isn't much point in doing anything but putting the sad troll on ignore like I have. Might as well do the same since it's all about "winning" to him. Don't respond and he'll disappear quick.

Last but not least, remember.

Companies making mistakes and contaminating the ground, freshwater supply is just a cost of doing business that will get passed onto everyone else. And THAT'S PERFECTLY OKAY because Fracking is good for you.

Absolutely nothing to refute so just like every good little liberal rat you want to go attack the person because you can't attack the position.

If the system has too many failures, I would argue tighter regulation if the current methods aren't adequate

The number of failures to wells is infinitesimally small. You just hear more about the big ones.

You want failures, go read about Russia drilling into sour gas fields and killing a few small size towns.

Utterly false. You have zero facts that lots of corners have been cut. Do you actually think any production company wants leaks? From a purely self interest standpoint it is expensive to fix and hurts the production of the wells and leads to potential liability issues. No company wants a well to leak.

You are sort of on the right track with the risk math but have greatly over simplified it. Plus the downside is much higher and the risks are tremendous. Some operators do that and they don't last long. For instance an operator here just got busted for using a pond liner that was not up to spec. there was no leak but the liner didn't have some certification the state wanted. $600,000 fine and they had to pay to have every liner they put in the last 2 years replaced and cannot place a new well sight without sign-off from the state. It cost them several to tens of millions of dollars. Does that sound like low risk to you?
If I'm not an engineer, am I disqualified from recognizing when you contradict your own position?

If I'm not an engineer, am I disqualified from recognizing when you contradict your own position?

A little critical thinking and you would realize he said the industry and companies do not cut corners, but that rarely an employee will do something stupid. There is absolutely no contradiction unless you wish to apply the actions of one person to an entire organization.

lol, whatever

Wow. Now this is a reasoned and erudite argument I can get behind! :rolleyes:

bartlet-headdesk-o.gif

yeah sorry, not everyone can muster up the critical thinking it takes to parse the difference between claiming "the industry" doesn't do something even when the workers that comprise the industry are doing something :rolleyes:

Apparently not.

Since intimating that an entire industry does something as a standard practice is NOT the same thing as specific workers doing that thing.

Basic logic is hhhhharrrrrrd!

I have decided that fracking gives baby seals cancer. Therefore we must kill all the baby seals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back