Ohio Man Charged With Threatening To Kill President-Elect On Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A man faces up to five years in prison for allegedly tweeting that he wanted to kill the President-elect. Sad!

According to an affidavit by Phillip Hogan, a Secret Service agent, Benson admitted to making the tweets. The agent said the defendant told him that he was at a suburban Cleveland restaurant on the night of the election and "had a couple of drinks before going home." "Benson said he never had any intentions behind any of the posts and was just frustrated...," the agent wrote. When Benson woke up the day after the election, he realized he "went too far" and immediately deleted the posts, the agent said.

I can't remember what school it was, they were talking about it on the radio Friday. I think it was back East. Anyway this teacher told his class that they were going to learn how to assonate Donald Trump. He had one kid be the shooter, point finger like a gun. He had another kid play a gun shot sound track from his phone. And the third kid played Trump. On queue the kid shot the Donald who fell to the floor.

Now of course the kids went home and told their parents. The lynch mob assaulted the school. The result was that the teacher got a written reprimand and a few days off. The Sum Bitch should have been terminated immediately and had a lengthy conversation with the FBI.

54548491.jpg

I don't use twitter but I'm sure he isn't the only one... shouldn't there be a lot more people in this situation?
We champion safe-spaces and try to ruin people's lives for using politically incorrect language. IMO, a much more grave issue are people that make actual physical death threats, as that is something that people SHOULD get worked up about and fear for their safety over.

In my ideal world, you can say whatever is on your mind and have whatever opinion you want, and I will gladly write it off as letting off steam or just consider you an ahole and be done with it, but inciting people to kill another or you yourself vowing to kill someone is the line you cross where you need to be held accountable.

Why is this a shocker???

There have been threats against our current president for the last, let me think here... 8 years.

Every president has wackos wanting to kill them. The current one and the next one seem to have a lot more than usual though.

That is way too much, his twitter post should have been protected under the First Amendment. For any kind of prosecution to occur, they would have to demonstrate he had intent to follow through or that he was knowingly inciting others to do it.

Why is this a shocker???

There have been threats against our current president for the last, let me think here... 8 years.

Every president has wackos wanting to kill them. The current one and the next one seem to have a lot more than usual though.

Not even close to the thousands of death threats against Trump since the election.

There was a case when Bill Clinton was president, where he went for a walk along the beach, and someone standing on the house balcony yell "You suck". They where later visited by the secret service and questioned for a several hours, and that wasn't even a threat.

I can't remember what school it was, they were talking about it on the radio Friday. I think it was back East. Anyway this teacher told his class that they were going to learn how to assonate Donald Trump. He had one kid be the shooter, point finger like a gun. He had another kid play a gun shot sound track from his phone. And the third kid played Trump. On queue the kid shot the Donald who fell to the floor.

Now of course the kids went home and told their parents. The lynch mob assaulted the school. The result was that the teacher got a written reprimand and a few days off. The Sum Bitch should have been terminated immediately and had a lengthy conversation with the FBI.

Imagine the hue and cry if this had occurred but with Obama or Clinton substituted for Trump? It would've been prosecuted as a "hate" crime. (And how is a "hate" crime worse than a "non-hateful" crime? Seriously... What a retarded category.)

The media and academia are infested.

Not even close to the thousands of death threats against Trump since the election.

There was a case when Bill Clinton was president, where he went for a walk along the beach, and someone standing on the house balcony yell "You suck". They where later visited by the secret service and questioned for a several hours, and that wasn't even a threat.

Thousands??? Really, where'd you get that number?

You all should be careful, Trump/Pence are taking notes. You don't want to be audited, or, worse, disappeared.

30 "potential" death threats a day against Obama, much the same as Bush 2, much the same as Clinton, much the same as Bush 1.

When your entire political system boils down to two parties that enjoy near complete media control in their "stronghold" states this kind of crazy happens. Never mind the fact that almost all of the "potential" threats come from people with brain problems.

"Potential" seems to mean threats with some form of credibility as assessed by the Secret Service.

Investigations will happen, arrests will happen, people may or may not be charged. Nothing changes, nothing will change.

People really do need to think a little more about what they publish.

Add this to the list of stuff that you actually should NEVER joke about, even if you are wasted at a bar.

Other stuff on this list include:
Threatening to blow up your school or shoot people up
Joking about robbing a bank

Maybe it is just my generation, but I thought that us older folks had more common sense. Maybe it is because we didn't have this social media garbage to fuel our narcissistic egos. The closest thing to that we had were those BBS' that we would dial up on our 2400 BAUD US Robotics modems to chat with others and play what were the very first MMO games of its time.

Add this to the list of stuff that you actually should NEVER joke about, even if you are wasted at a bar.

Other stuff on this list include:
Threatening to blow up your school or shoot people up
Joking about robbing a bank

Maybe it is just my generation, but I thought that us older folks had more common sense. Maybe it is because we didn't have this social media garbage to fuel our narcissistic egos. The closest thing to that we had were those BBS' that we would dial up on our 2400 BAUD US Robotics modems to chat with others and play what were the very first MMO games of its time.

I think it is more of what is said in a bar stays in the bar in the old days. Nowadays, what is posted online is instantly available for the NSA to start tracking down. And people posting too much information about themselves online only makes it easier.

That is way too much, his twitter post should have been protected under the First Amendment. For any kind of prosecution to occur, they would have to demonstrate he had intent to follow through or that he was knowingly inciting others to do it.

Your first amendment rights are protected, until you seek to harm others. Its the same with most laws.

I think it is more of what is said in a bar stays in the bar in the old days. Nowadays, what is posted online is instantly available for the NSA to start tracking down. And people posting too much information about themselves online only makes it easier.

In a bar, you can tell someone's state of mind for the most part. They are just saying it, not being serious. Online... well, that's why I have my title. You can't tell if someone is being serious or not.

"I hope they get hit by a bus!"

Oops.

It works out fine if you're smart about it. For one - Don't fucking say you're going to kill the President. Especially online. On a freely open, public platform. I can say it at my house because it's private. You just need to know when to shut your mouth, stop posting, and realize where you are.

Not all forms of speech are protected, whether you approve of that or not, that's the way it is. The FBI has been arresting half retarded suckers for years that didn't carry out plans they didn't devise.

You can say you don't like someone all day long and you can extol about the virtues of their errors. But you can't say you are going to kill someone, especially when it becomes socially popular to do so.

Maybe it is because we didn't have this social media garbage to fuel our narcissistic egos.

Ding! Social Media doesn't give people time to think about their idiotic ideas. Maybe there should be a three day waiting period on writing hateful posts.

Your first amendment rights are protected, until you seek to harm others. Its the same with most laws.

Saying something doesn't prove intent. It's enough to start an investigation, but you can't get a conviction out of it.

Not all forms of speech are protected, whether you approve of that or not, that's the way it is. The FBI has been arresting half retarded suckers for years that didn't carry out plans they didn't devise.

You can say you don't like someone all day long and you can extol about the virtues of their errors. But you can't say you are going to kill someone, especially when it becomes socially popular to do so.

Investigate, yes. Throw someone in jail for just saying things and being unable to prove intent, I don't think so.

Serves him right. Now, if only we can do the same for those giving violent threats with the religion card, but-but-but "free speech", "they aren't serious about it" and "they are only doing it because you insulted them first".

Me thinks you are forgetting the hordes of racist threats, burning of effigies and armed militia protests when Obama won. It was pretty damned ugly.

Hey guys, I've been in deep sleep for a year, so who's President-elec? Bernie Sanders right?

One difference - I can't find info on rioting in America after the 2008 or 2012 elections.

Rioting is NOT protesting. Viva la France anyone?
This is what happens when the left live in an Obama bubble for 8 years. Everyone gets a trophy and everyone is the same.

It's nice to see Trump burst that bubble.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back