Oh Snap, Won Newegg Shuffle....To Buy or not to buy

Every few days when I check 3080 prices on Ebay there's another $100 shaved off. I'm sure it will flatline somewhere but prices are in free fall right now. At the current rate they would reach MSRP in about 2 months.

Keep in mind 3080's are still selling for double MSRP on Ebay right now. Long way to go.
There's no way this is over in ~2 months. Because it's not just a matter of suppliers climbing back to standard production output. Demand right now is heavily skewed due to a year and a half of people who have reached their "Time to upgrade" windows but have held off because of the shortage/prices insanity. And combine that with other people who are regularly reaching their own respective TTU windows, as well. As prices come down, you have more people standing back up and reentering the market to upgrade.

For the sea of upgrade backlog to clear out in two months, it would mean suppliers having to not just reach "normal" production levels, they would have to surpass it. And then when you add in the distortions of mining demand into the mix, there's just no way this is going to be back to normal anytime soon. I wager it'll be around Black Friday + the holidays when we see prices/demand closer to "normal" than not.

I also suspect recent drops in price may be due to, yes, new people getting new GPUs, but I also wonder if there may be a bit of a "mirage" element as well, given the recent card releases and many people getting onto waitlists, assuming that cards will soon start raining down from the gods above as lockdowns are over, only to perhaps soon realize that "Jeez, this waitlist has still barely been dented." But I may be wrong on that.

But I agree it'll be a gradual shift toward normalcy ...provided there aren't any further unseen production shortages or whatnot. But who can tell.

Last edited:
Scalpers, new cards. Miners, used cards.
If Ebay gets flooded with used miner cards, even if you don't want to buy a used card, the retail (new) market will also be affected... It just takes longer. When scalpers give up, that will also boom the retail supply. A rising tide lifts all boats. The benefit of the Used market is that prices are going to drop faster, and obviously it has a higher supply.

Even with LHR cards flooding the market, there's still a massive demand from gamers that we saw from Sept-Dec last year, it's still there. Prices will keep dropping but retail won't reach MSRP/normal availability this year.
The catalyst will be a mining collapse coming sometime in the next 6 months, most likely Dec~Jan assuming Eth's update rolls out on time. That is when things change.

Keep in mind 3080's are still selling for double MSRP on Ebay right now. Long way to go.
OK, so if I am willilng to pay a "small" premium, I can probably get a card later this year. I'm OK with that, because I guess I have no real choice.

The 3080 Ti is dropping the fastest, currently down from ~$2400 at launch to about $1900 now, a 58% markup. If you're trying to buy a 3080 Ti they will reach availability and MSRP before anything else. Probably because even at MSRP $1200 it's a bad deal, ha! The 3070 Ti for example is a little under double markup, way more than the 3080 Ti.

Thats a goddamn bullshit price. And that card is not even worth it, it performs the same as the 3080.

Everybody in video card industry is completely wacked out of their minds! Everyone is a scalper.

The crypto madness is starting to ease a bit, and cards should be starting getting lower prices.

Finally some 3080's today...standalone with no bundle crap attached!
Yep the lhr are starting to roll out well with less interest from the miner groups.

Thats a goddamn bullshit price. And that card is not even worth it, it performs the same as the 3080.
Everybody in video card industry is completely wacked out of their minds! Everyone is a scalper.

The crypto madness is starting to ease a bit, and cards should be starting getting lower prices.

Markets back up 10-15% today actually and showing signs of going back up so tbd :s. If you can manage to get cards can you really blame folks for wanting to make a quick buck? Just my 2 cents.

That said the 3080ti is basically a lower vram 3090 so in that aspect its $300-400 cheaper guess depends how you look at it.

Back