Oh Snap, Won Newegg Shuffle....To Buy or not to buy

I entered that and only went for the EVGA and Asus TUF cards. I did not win a chance to buy either. The other cards were WAY too expensive. Heck, ALL of the cards cost too much these days. I am regretting selling the EVGA RTX3060 I won on a Newegg shuffle. That one costed about $390 at the time. I got an RTX3070 for my cousin and a Ryzen 5900X for a friend through the shuffle as well. Now that I have the money to get myself something to upgrade from this iGPU, I cannot win anything. If this becomes the new normal for the foreseeable future, I may turn in my [H] cred and just stick with the iGPU as well as give-up PC gaming.

I'll take that bet. Encrypted vBIOS still hasn't been cracked, going on years now.
Clunky workarounds that give less than 100% of non-LHR hashrate, perhaps, but wouldn't hold breath for another dev driver mistake.

And in any case the daggerhash window on this current cycle is closing, LHR won't even matter before too long.
Thats fair, I would think its more likely eventually nvidia stops caring and releases an unlimited driver when eth finally goes POS, at that point it wont matter.

MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB PCI Express 4.0 x16 Video Card RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio

Oh Snap, Won Newegg Shuffle....To Buy or not to buy​

$1799

Thoughts? Seems like newegg is scalping me....

I am probably going to let it go, I don't even how the power supply in my main rig to run it.
I refuse to buy a new video card that I desperately need until prices fall to msrp. If I have to wait 8 or 9 more months so be it. The shuffle is a ripoff by Newegg and they should be villified by customers for this bull crap.

I entered that and only went for the EVGA and Asus TUF cards. I did not win a chance to buy either. The other cards were WAY too expensive. Heck, ALL of the cards cost too much these days. I am regretting selling the EVGA RTX3060 I won on a Newegg shuffle. That one costed about $390 at the time. I got an RTX3070 for my cousin and a Ryzen 5900X for a friend through the shuffle as well. Now that I have the money to get myself something to upgrade from this iGPU, I cannot win anything. If this becomes the new normal for the foreseeable future, I may turn in my [H] cred and just stick with the iGPU as well as give-up PC gaming.
This crap will KILL PC Gaming in another 3 or 4 years. Most people are NOT going to buy a card at these prices. The margins are high for all the bloodsuckers but their volume is low. in 8 months the market will shake out and prices will drop and availability will improve, but I doubt if it will get back to normal with inflation getting to be a serious threat with the worthless paper the Treasury is printing.

To me I really don't believe this is a supply issue anymore. I think there's allot of credit out there and people / groups of people are buying up allot of stock. The very same thing is happening in housing.

The best thing for people to do is to not buy. These prices are insane.

Approved and on point.

Scavengers are loaded with extra cash as the printing presses are printing off money like hotcakes in a southern state restaurant. Working from home..nothing to do but buy shit with all this "extra" money... companies know this and are capitalizing....mining...chia... just alot of greedy bullshit going on right now, and the next huge crash is coming to a theater near you.

Approved and on point.

Scavengers are loaded with extra cash as the printing presses are printing off money like hotcakes in a southern state restaurant. Working from home..nothing to do but buy shit with all this "extra" money... companies know this and are capitalizing....mining...chia... just alot of greedy bullshit going on right now, and the next huge crash is coming to a theater near you.
For GPUs it's largely the miners to blame. If everyone just was buying one card there would be a lot more supply. But we have people out there buying lots of cards and creating this shortage. We need a crypto price crash to alleviate this issue imo.

My brother and I both lucked out and won the Newegg Shuffle early this week and got a Gigabyte 3080Ti Eagle combo with a Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard.

My brother and I will have N=2 HP OMEN (PNY Reference) 3080's with EK Vector water blocks for sale later this week or early next week so if anyone is interested PM me. :)

I paid $1080 out the door for a 3080 (non-ti) FTW3. 1k was my absolute limit and even then I went over. These prices are ridiculous.

I would never pay that much ($1800) for a 3080ti. Not when you can get other variations of the same card for $1100-1200. 50% markup.. no thanks.

I tried the Shuffle today. EVGA 3060 for "only" $70 over old MSRP. OK, I was willing to do that. But then I saw that it was bundled with an EVGA power supply that I could probably never use because it was underpowered for my needs. What BS. Newegg has become so scummy since the pandemic started. This new, lousy reputation will cost them over the long haul.

I know the market "is what it is" or whatever, but these cards aren't worth $1200, let alone $1800.

I tried the Shuffle today. EVGA 3060 for "only" $70 over old MSRP. OK, I was willing to do that. But then I saw that it was bundled with an EVGA power supply that I could probably never use because it was underpowered for my needs. What BS. Newegg has become so scummy since the pandemic started. This new, lousy reputation will cost them over the long haul.
A good 650w PS is plenty for a 3060.

I know the market "is what it is" or whatever, but these cards aren't worth $1200, let alone $1800.
You are not the market for these cards. What ever you believe is "worth it" is not the same everyone.

You are not the market for these cards. What ever you believe is "worth it" is not the same everyone.
Okay? The OP was waffling over whether to buy or not, I was just posting to that extent.

Who exactly are these cards for? People who want to pay scalper prices at MSRP?

It doesn't even feel like a PC component market any longer. Speaking as a musician in the prosumer music gear market, GPUs are now selling for prices comparable to all but my most expensive gear. The 3080ti is almost as expensive as my Helix Floor multi-effects processor, which is just insane . . . and that's at MSRP. At the prices you can actually expect to pay, they're more expensive than my fucking guitars.
To be fair, it's only in recent history that good PC hardware was fairly cheap. I remember buying an Apple in the early '90s for $10k, in '90s dollars.

A good 650w PS is plenty for a 3060.
Yes, but my main rig runs very cool with a Corsair 850 and it's got enough reserve power that I don't have to think about it. My main rig runs 3 HDDs, plus an NMVE and and SSD, with 2 x 16 GB ram sticks, and a AMD 3900X CPU. I'm thinking of upgrading with two more 16 GB stick. Maybe in the future I might be able to get by with only 650 W, but I have learned the hard way not to buy components "just in case." Either I need the component now, or I just don't buy it. I've wasted good money in the past with buying for some indefinite "future" need.

To be fair, it's only in recent history that good PC hardware was fairly cheap. I remember buying an Apple in the early '90s for $10k, in '90s dollars.
Oh yes. We paid well over $2500 in the mid 90s for a 486DX/50 computer.

We have been spoiled by very cheap pricing for a very long time now.

Oh yes. We paid well over $2500 in the mid 90s for a 486DX/50 computer.

We have been spoiled by very cheap pricing for a very long time now.
Some time in the late '80s or maybe early '90s, I paid like $1000 for a Quantum SCSI 5 1/4" drive. 1 GB. No kidding.

I remember having a 386 from AMD that was faster and cheaper than the fastest Intel CPU at that time.

Moore's Law is a great idea. Was working well until it didn't, with recent GPU pricing.

I would never pay that much ($1800) for a 3080ti. Not when you can get other variations of the same card for $1100-1200. 50% markup.. no thanks.

only 1800$ ? Be happy you don't live in Europe
1623363264009.jpeg

When I won a shuffle, the text message that Newegg sent was so bizarrely worded that I was convinced it was a scam.

I entered the shuffle for the 3070 Ti. After having no success for the 3080 and 3070, I was not hopeful. I chose the 3 available options at MSRP (a Zotac Gaming, EVGA XC3, and Asus TUF), and I was given the option to buy the EVGA XC3 card, so I did. Now that I've got it, I don't really know what to do. On the one hand, I was in the market for a new card, after very foolishly selling my 1080 Ti in anticipation of losing money when the new cards came out. On the other hand, if I open it up and install it, I will be missing out on the markup these things enjoy currently, thereby feeding into the problem. But then I am still out a video card.

I entered the shuffle for the 3070 Ti. After having no success for the 3080 and 3070, I was not hopeful. I chose the 3 available options at MSRP (a Zotac Gaming, EVGA XC3, and Asus TUF), and I was given the option to buy the EVGA XC3 card, so I did. Now that I've got it, I don't really know what to do. On the one hand, I was in the market for a new card, after very foolishly selling my 1080 Ti in anticipation of losing money when the new cards came out. On the other hand, if I open it up and install it, I will be missing out on the markup these things enjoy currently, thereby feeding into the problem. But then I am still out a video card.

Open it up and enjoy it. Why take a chance to be scammed by eBay buyers? The hassle of selling, packing and anxiously waiting for the the buyer to confirm (or maybe not) is not worth the $200 you will make.

Eh, it's a bit more than $200, especially if I sell locally, but you're probably right. I've waited this long, may as well indulge.

I won a gigabyte 3080ti combo for $1800 Saturday and missed my window by 10 mins.

so where the 3080's all at in the shuffle? been weeks! are all the 3080's being made not making the cut and getting reshipped as 3070ti's?

so where the 3080's all at in the shuffle? been weeks! are all the 3080's being made not making the cut and getting reshipped as 3070ti's?
So when is the damn shuffle going to stop those useless bundles?

Every few days when I check 3080 prices on Ebay there's another $100 shaved off. I'm sure it will flatline somewhere but prices are in free fall right now. At the current rate they would reach MSRP in about 2 months. Eventually, they will cross a line of being unprofitable to scalpers, and that's when things get really interesting.

Unfortunately, retail (newegg/amazon/etc) are slow to react. Newegg's dumb ass bundles and gouged prices will probably continue even after Ebay drops to reasonable levels. This happened in the previous 2 mining booms as well. Basically if you want a video card within the next 6 months, the secondhand market will be the only place to find reasonable prices.

I also wonder if consumers will notice the recent price drops, and hold off buying for lower prices. This could cause the market to drop even more.
A mass miner sell-off would crash the entire market overnight at this point, too.. Current prices are almost back to pre-mining levels (January).

Last edited:
Every few days when I check 3080 prices on Ebay there's another $100 shaved off. I'm sure it will flatline somewhere but prices are in free fall right now. At the current rate they would reach MSRP in about 2 months. Eventually, they will cross a line of being unprofitable to scalpers, and that's when things get really interesting.

New or used? I like the idea of calculating the months to reach MSRP. It tells me that I can stop worrying about the EVGA waitlist or checking Newegg/Amazon/BestBuy. Even if it turns out to be 3 months, that's OK. At least it's not 2022 or 2023.
Unfortunately, retail (newegg/amazon/etc) are slow to react. Newegg's dumb ass bundles and gouged prices will probably continue even after Ebay drops to reasonable levels. This happened in the previous 2 mining booms as well. Basically if you want a video card within the next 6 months, the secondhand market will be the only place to find reasonable prices.

I also wonder if consumers will notice the recent price drops, and hold off buying for lower prices. This could cause the market to drop even more.
A mass miner sell-off would crash the entire market overnight at this point, too.. Current prices are almost back to pre-mining levels (January).
There are different classes of consumers. Aside from gamers and content creators, who wants to buy a 3080/3090? Everyone else? Probably more concerned about price than graphics performance. Just my surmise here.

New or used? I like the idea of calculating the months to reach MSRP. It tells me that I can stop worrying about the EVGA waitlist or checking Newegg/Amazon/BestBuy. Even if it turns out to be 3 months, that's OK. At least it's not 2022 or 2023.

There are different classes of consumers. Aside from gamers and content creators, who wants to buy a 3080/3090? Everyone else? Probably more concerned about price than graphics performance. Just my surmise here.
Scalpers, new cards. Miners, used cards.
If Ebay gets flooded with used miner cards, even if you don't want to buy a used card, the retail (new) market will also be affected... It just takes longer. When scalpers give up, that will also boom the retail supply. A rising tide lifts all boats. The benefit of the Used market is that prices are going to drop faster, and obviously it has a higher supply.

Even with LHR cards flooding the market, there's still a massive demand from gamers that we saw from Sept-Dec last year, it's still there. Prices will keep dropping but retail won't reach MSRP/normal availability this year.
The catalyst will be a mining collapse coming sometime in the next 6 months, most likely Dec~Jan assuming Eth's update rolls out on time. That is when things change.

Keep in mind 3080's are still selling for double MSRP on Ebay right now. Long way to go.

Last edited:
Back