Oh noes! My graphics card broke.

mannyman

2[H]4U
So i was cleaning my computer and readying it for a fresh install of Win 7 and removing the old hard drives. For no apperent reason the plastic fan and shroud broke off, I didn't even touch it, so i took a look all of the plastic broke that holds it on! I have emailed Sapphire they offer a 2 year replacement thing, and im going to ask them if i can get a upgraded card :p at least a vapor X 5770, so now im on the laptop...

When you RMA something you are going to get same thing or very similar, if product you returned is no longer in production/availability you get the something new nearest to its capabilities or they return you money, but to getting upgraded card in strict sense is not very likely to happen. :p

oh well, im not even going to RMA it theywant me to pay for the shipping and such, so im going to buy a aftermarket GPU cooler to save time and money.

And the point of this thread was? Increase post count?

Thats pretty crazy there. How the heck did it just fall off? That must be some crazy bad luck or something.

If the 3rd pictures flash wasn't so bad, You can see that the plastic is still attached and is very brittle, i think the plastic was heated to much? there is a lot of dust, but i never saw many high temps. I gust hope some one replies back to me in the fs thread.

And the point of this thread was? Increase post count?

Well, My post count is about the same as yours so it would do me no good, I made this so i could see if anyone has had this problem and to share some woe's, i may be the only one with this problem but i wanted to share it with the [H]ard.

I especially like the pic of it on the carpet with pieces of cat food and a hair clump - (ever heard of static electricity)?

Clean that crap out of the heatsink and use hot glue or super glue to fix it. No high temps with it clogged that much.. yeah right.

I especially like the pic of it on the carpet with pieces of cat food and a hair clump - (ever heard of static electricity)?

Clean that crap out of the heatsink and use hot glue or super glue to fix it. No high temps with it clogged that much.. yeah right.

It was a chunk of dog food, My sheltie has a thing about eating, He grabs a chunk and will run to where ever im at and eats it around me and the "hair clump" was some of the dust that came out. And btw WTF is static electricity? I have never heard of that before in my life ever... :rolleyes: If you are such an expert how do you hot glue the inside of a GPU in a way that allows me to clean the heatsink again? My temps never went pas 72C when using a benchmark, and lower when playing a game. Ok that was a little agressive on my part, Yes carpet is prone to static, but a relative humitity that is around 90% i dont have to worry about it all to much.

Last edited:
Take the part off that the shroud broke off from and glue it back together and then reinstall the whole assembly......

Last edited:
Take the part off that the shroud broke off from and glue it back together and then reinstall the whole assembly......

Sorry, But it was just small fragments, the plastic was brittle. I am going to try use some liquid plastic and drill it and re screw it back on.

It was a chunk of dog food, My sheltie has a thing about eating, He grabs a chunk and will run to where ever im at and eats it around me and the "hair clump" was some of the dust that came out. And btw WTF is static electricity? I have never heard of that before in my life ever... :rolleyes: If you are such an expert how do you hot glue the inside of a GPU in a way that allows me to clean the heatsink again? My temps never went pas 72C when using a benchmark, and lower when playing a game. Ok that was a little agressive on my part, Yes carpet is prone to static, but a relative humitity that is around 90% i dont have to worry about it all to much.

For your sake, I hope the card still works.

As a poor guess the dust and crap caused the aluminum to heat the plastic by raising local temperatures. After a while dust build up kept being pushed against the plastic by heat expansion of the aluminum until the weakened brittle plastic shattered.
As an explanation its a possibilty, no proof.
If correct cleaning and a couple longer screws, using neoprene o-rings for spacers would reattach the fan housing well enough.
If the rest of the plastic isn't yoo brittle. If you are gentle.
Does Saphire sell the housing separately?

Don't glue it on unless you don't want to get warranty on it. If Sapphire won't replace it, just buy an aftermarket cooler or I am sure many people have extra coolers on hand from switching to aftermarket cooling.

Put some zip ties around the card and see what the temps look like until they can get you an RMA. You just need the shroud and fan to stay on.

Well this will have to do for now :p

And the paste i replaced with some ICPerihelion. A large thank you to Falcon_CMH for the ICDiamond and ICPerihelion and ill have the results for my processor soon. Temps haven't gotten past 60C so far with the new paste, cleaning and a shoestring lol

Last edited:
Haha!
That is hilarious looking.
I don't mean to laugh AT you though. Quite an unfortunate thing to happen randomly. If your temps are fine there really is no point in buying an aftermarket cooler.
Look at the bright side, at least you got your rig up in time for portal 2! :-D

Haha!
That is hilarious looking.
I don't mean to laugh AT you though. Quite an unfortunate thing to happen randomly. If your temps are fine there really is no point in buying an aftermarket cooler.
Look at the bright side, at least you got your rig up in time for portal 2! :-D

You got it right! Lol i get it your laughing with me, because i can't help but giggle a little when i look at it. Portal 2 looks awesome!

Uh.. You realize those pipe cleaners are made of metal right? How are you going to explain it to Sapphire when you ground the card out?

And of course they want you to pay the shipping, that's standard practice.

Uh.. You realize those pipe cleaners are made of metal right? How are you going to explain it to Sapphire when you ground the card out?

And of course they want you to pay the shipping, that's standard practice.

Yeah i do realize that, That's why i used a shoestring. I think i mentioned that.

Yeah i do realize that, That's why i used a shoestring. I think i mentioned that.

Sorry once I saw the stupidity mount I quit reading. The amount of shit caked in that video card is fucking disgusting.

Sorry once I saw the stupidity mount I quit reading. The amount of shit caked in that video card is fucking disgusting.

Yeah it was fairly bad, A dirt driveway and 2 small dogs, one being long haired, And a cat with kittens will do that to you.

You need to learn to calm down before posting in someone's thread. You make yourself out to be some elitist prick.

You need to learn to calm down before posting in someone's thread. You make yourself out to be some elitist prick.

Thank you. I have ordered a CM Coolviva z1 and it should be here 25-27 I will be putting this cooler on, And i will need to know how to wire a PMW fan to the card in place of the blower style fan.

Back