Oh noes!! Blue screen of death. Major computer problem, please help.

Ok, so 3 or 4 week's ageo i started having computer problem's for the first time since i built my pc ( a year and a half ageo). The problem didnt bother me at first but now i cant fix it. It started randomly poping up a blue screen with an error message maybe once a day, to quickly for me to see what it said, but it was once a day so i figured big deal. After that it started getting more frequant, happening a few times in a row, i would get a blue screen, it would restart, as soon as i logged into window's boom, it would go down again. I also started having random problem's with program's. At times firefox would get an error, and i wouldnt be able to open it back up, when ever i tried, it would just give me another error and crash, it would happen with bother IE and Firefox, and the only way to get them to work again was to restart. Finally i got fed up with it, after many many virus and spyware scan's i desided to do a fresh reinstall, deleted the old partition and installed windows fresh. I started getting the same problem's right off the bat, right after i installed my ethernet and video card drivers, i would attempt to restart, and in the process of restarting i would get a blue screen. Program's would crash at odd times and nothing would work right.

At this i did some test, i had memtest86+ run for 13 hour's passing every time with 0 error's, and the computer never crashed once in the entire 13 hour's of memtest, i also ran western digita lifegaurd and did a scan on my HD, i ran it several times, found no error, i did a full 0 write to the disk, did a fresh install of window's and the problem presist.

I tried other hard drives, all my other drives are IDE, and the same thing happen with all 3 of them, i would put them in with the windows cd, it would show the drives with much less space then they actually had, and when it tried to reformat/install on them i would get a blue screen and it would crash, now this is the only time i have gotten a blue screen when not running windows, and it also did it with 2 different copies of windows xp pro.

So the only drive i have that i can install windows on is my SATA drive, and when i do install windows it doesnt work worth shit, i constantly get error's from program's and i get blue screen's frequently.

Im thinking it has to be my motherboard, nothing else makes sence in my mind. But i come to the intelegent people of hardforums for some suggestions of what i might do befor i go spend more money, that i cant really afford, to fix my computer.

Is it overheating? What are your temps? Could be the PSU also. How about giving us some info on your temps, are your fans running? Is the system clean for airflow?

its an aspire x-qpack microATX case, i keep the sides off so it stay's very cool, its right under my ac vent, so it idles at around cpu - 35'C, video card - 40'c, and max's out around cpu - 40'c, and video card 45'c. The only real fan in it is a 120mm exhaust fan right behind the cpu. since i keep the sides off, it get's kinda dusty, but i blow it out all the time with compressed air.

MB: winfast 6150k8ma-8ekrs
CPU: AMD 64x2 3800+ manchester
Ram: 2x512mb crutial ram, 2-2-2-8 timing
Vid card: Sapphire ATI x1800 GTO2 512mb ram
HD: WD 160gig 7200rpm SATA hard drive.

just the standard aspair 420watt one that came with it. i dont think its the psu since most of the times it crash's due to system error's or after a program give me an error it crash's. the pc ran for probley 15 hour's total with memtests and hd scan's and it never crashed then.

but idk for sure.

Last night my computer got a blue screen again, i said fuck it and went to sleep, i go to turn it on, and it boot's up fine, i click on internet explorer and it gives me an error, i choose dont send, but then every time i tried to open it, it would just give me an error so i had to reboot. it get's to the point where is should boot windows, then boom, crash, reboots, ask to boot in safe mode, i choose normal, boom crash, restart's up, boom crash, restart's up, i choose to boot in safe mode, boom crash, but this time the blue screen stick around so i can actually read it.

Technical Information:
Stop 0x0000008x (0xc0000005, 0x8056f811, 0x f79802c70,0x00000000)

I have no idea what the fuck this mean's, but i finally get it to boot back up into windows, i take a look at my event viewer, and last night when it crashed, i got 29 system error's all saying "Service Control Manager", and it shows for when i tried to boot up today with 1 system error saying "ati2mtag", and 3 application errors, 1 for each time windows tried to boot.

Run memtest overnight and see what it comes back with.... from what I can find, that stop error is usually related to memory issues...

hi Gobstoppable - i have the exact same problem as you, my new system build is about a year and a half old and recently i have been getting the odd bsof but the past few days, its every 5 to 10 mins (even when i was wrting this it blue screened on me lol). I am going to try memtest but im pretty sure its down to the memory. If you resolve yours please tell me what you did thanks

Back