Oh no I just bought a 3200+ (939) but I forgot....

to order a Heatsink and fan. I am going to o'clock but just want to use air. What are your remmendations?? I looked at this

one

biggest huge honking hunk of copper that you can afford and fit in your case.

Im still using a Thermalright SLK-900U. Works nicely and is pretty huge. My 92mm Vantec Tornado fits perfectly on it.

The thermaltake silienttower thing is the worst thing to install, it took way longer to install than the Zalman, and it seems flimsy, cause it looks so big and heavy compare to the the motherboard. I've installed both of them a few times on a few customer's machines, and I'll have to settle for the Zalman, it's neat, tight, more quiet than the silienttower, and it doesn't take up all that space in the case compared to the thermaltake.

My vote's for the zalman, that is if your board supports the zalman.

pirateface said:
My vote's for the zalman, that is if your board supports the zalman.
i have a neo, the neo2 is set up the same exact way, it'll fit.
and yeah, my vote goes to the zalman.. it works really well for me. plus the loudest thing in my computer is my 6800gt, which isn't really too noisy

I get all Chinese letters when I try and click the link for the xp90, i think the egg is having some difficulties :D

I'm seriously considering the XP-90, the -120 would be cooler but is just so huge I don't think it would fit.

Why not have a solid copper case made ... and connect heatpipes from the cpu to the case. Thats alot of surface area to disapate the heat.

Plus the airflow through your case should be enough so you dont have to even have a fan on your cpu ;)

bonkrowave said:
Why not have a solid copper case made ... and connect heatpipes from the cpu to the case. Thats alot of surface area to disapate the heat.

Plus the airflow through your case should be enough so you dont have to even have a fan on your cpu ;)
it would make the ambient temperature in the case really high, for one ;)

Yes this is true ... but how sic would a solid copper case that doubles as a heat spreader be :)

Man go with the Zalman 7000cu. It's a great, quiet cooler that is easy to install. That's my opinion, but you can't go wrong with any of these recommendations especially the XP-120. Think of it like this: if you are not going to oc, or oc minimally go with the Zalman. If you are going for max-oc XP-120...Stay [H]ard.... :cool: :cool: :cool:

pretty much anything EXCEPT the thermaltake

the XP-90, XP-120, and Swiftech MCx6400V are all good choices

with a good fan of course

From what i've seen the best appear to be the XP-90 (120 is just too big) and the Zalman Alcu one forgot the number. TBH I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

I've heard the Swiftec's name being banded about with good things usually following, so it seems good

HydrasunGQ said:
well I was thinking of upgrading myself to a fx-55 and was thinking of a Swiftech MCX6400-V with a Vantec TD8038H fan.
What do you guys think?
that vantec is freaking loud, and the swiftec heatsink doesn't need mad amounts of airflow to keep itself cool, consider either a slighly slower/quieter fan, or an adaptor for a 92mm fan so keep the airflow up :D

get the 92mm tornado (more CFM at same dB

Just be sure to buy a fanbus that can handle 4-pin molex and 12V (Vantec makes nice ones); b/c you WILL want to turn that fan down a bit (or do a 7v mod).

I hope you realize how lound 56dB REALLY is (I learned the hard way with my 80mm Tornados, thank god for fanbusses).

A64.png

Not stable yet at that speed, but I don't want to increase the voltage anymore than what I am at. Guess I will have to be happy with 2.4GHz.

O, Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu

HydrasunGQ said:
well I was thinking of upgrading myself to a fx-55 and was thinking of a Swiftech MCX6400-V with a Vantec TD8038H fan.
What do you guys think?

Look for reviews but I believe the xp-90 is better then the swifttech.

Shieze said:
Look for reviews but I believe the xp-90 is better then the swifttech.
I found this review comparing both the MCX6400-V and the XP-90 seems that both perform very similarly.

If same performance between the 2 and same price go for the xp-90, the pins on the swifttech can be easily broken off.

swifttech can be easily broken off.

you know, I heard the same thing before I bought my mcx6400v (xp90 or xp120 weren't out yet), I never ran into this problem and I've taken the thing of and reinstalled it several times (comparing between the stock thermalright).

But it does feel more fragile than the xp90 looks, I'd say get the cheapest of the two, they are both great coolers

what woud be the best fan for the XP-90 to have the best possible cooling regardless of noise?

bonkrowave said:
Yes this is true ... but how sic would a solid copper case that doubles as a heat spreader be :)

Zalman makes a case that allows the system to be run completely passively...the case doubles as a heatspreader and is...silent. Also, getting back on topic, I recommend the XP-90 on the basis that Thermalright has been doing an excellent job of putting out good heatsinks in recent memory.

burningrave101 said:
A Vantec Tornado.
no, hook a vacuum cleaner up to it. that'll create a ton of cfm, and the heatsink will never get warm to the touch. however, vacuums are extremely loud, so i doubt you'd want to do this (plus, you can't leave em on all the time like you can with comp. fans)

A Vantec Tornado.

be sure to have a good fanbus that can handle the 12V, b/c you will most likely want to turn the 92mm Tornado down (although it still does a great job at 1/2 speed), and you can turn it WAY up when you game

Back