oh my god newegg's LCD policy...you CAN'T return!

mista ting

Gawd
you can ONLY return if the LCD has 8 dead pixels.......you cant just say you dont like it and return they will ship it back too you, it must have 8 dead pixels ....wow

i didn't buy anything just saying'

I am well aware of their return policy regarding LCD monitors. Thank you very much.

Shipping back a monitor just because you don't like it would be an expensive exercise Shipping is about $50.00 for an LCD and then there is restocking fee, don't know about Newegg but NCIX would charge you 15% re-stocking fee. Make sure any monitor you buy online is what you want first or do not buy online. Go to a retail store for such a purchase.

If this really bothers you, buy your monitors from a vendor that offers 'zero dead pixel' insurance, such as NCIX. It's pretty cheap, and they even pay the shipping both ways. Not sure how this works if you're a US customer, NCIX is local to me, but it's probably still a decent deal.

Personally I don't have a major problem with dead pixel policies by retailers. If the manufacturer won't replace it, why should they have to eat the cost of reselling it open box? That said, I do think NewEgg should take it back but charge their 15% restocking fee if you decide you don't like it.

There may be a similar law in the US.

We need laws like that over here but neither U.S. nor Canada has such laws. THere is this franchise outlet that sells all kinds of liquidated products called Xcess Cargo. I buy stuff from them often because it is way cheaper than a regular retail store. The downside though is that all sales are final and only some items come with a 30 day exchange warranty, refunds are forbidden. I doubt their bogus policy would stand up in court but we have little consumer protection compared to UK and other EU countries. Consumer laws here really need to be beefed up IMO.

Yup, been that way for a looooooonnnnnng time. Thats why most buy TVs/Monitors from Amazon ;)

If this really bothers you, buy your monitors from a vendor that offers 'zero dead pixel' insurance, such as NCIX. It's pretty cheap, and they even pay the shipping both ways.

I thought NCIX only pays shipping both ways if you are a VIP member. Or is policy on LCDs different?

Shipping back a monitor just because you don't like it would be an expensive exercise Shipping is about $50.00 for an LCD and then there is restocking fee, don't know about Newegg but NCIX would charge you 15% re-stocking fee. Make sure any monitor you buy online is what you want first or do not buy online. Go to a retail store for such a purchase.

where are you shopping..lol most i have paid was about $23 via dell for 3 day delivery for 20-24' LCD's.

I thought NCIX only pays shipping both ways if you are a VIP member. Or is policy on LCDs different?

The 'zero dead pixel' insurance is part of the Express Coverage package, which includes free ground shipping for RMAs (dead pixels or not). It's not clear if this also applies to shipments to the US, since their regular 'free ground shipping' promotions don't, but there's no wording saying it specifically doesn't either, so I'd have to guess that shipping is covered. Just be careful the particular model you're buying includes dead pixel coverage, they don't offer it on all products.

See: http://ncix.com/go/?expresscoverage

where are you shopping..lol most i have paid was about $23 via dell for 3 day delivery for 20-24' LCD's.

I'm talking about if YOU have to ship it back to Dell, Newegg etc.. It will cost you a lot more than the $23.00 Dell charges you. I jut ordered a monitor from Newegg and it comes with free shipping and that is from the U.S. to Canada but if I had to ship it back I am expecting it would cost me in the $60.00 - $80.00 CAD range at least. I had to pay $25.00 CAD just to ship a video card back to EVGA down in Cali. A monitor weighs a lot more than a video card and is far more bulky too. To ship iZ3D 22" monitor to Canada iZ3D charges $60.00 USD and that is after they claimed they have recently reduced shipping rates. Dell, Newegg etc. get big cut rate deals on shipping because they ship lots of product. You, on the other hand, will get stiffed to ship it back to them.

Last edited:
The 'zero dead pixel' insurance is part of the Express Coverage package, which includes free ground shipping for RMAs (dead pixels or not). It's not clear if this also applies to shipments to the US, since their regular 'free ground shipping' promotions don't, but there's no wording saying it specifically doesn't either, so I'd have to guess that shipping is covered. Just be careful the particular model you're buying includes dead pixel coverage, they don't offer it on all products.

See: http://ncix.com/go/?expresscoverage

OK, I never pay extra for the express coverage and always choose cheapest ground rate because I am not far from NCIX so doesn't matter which option I choose because it takes the same amount of time. Could have used the express rma on my latest purchase though because the Seasonic S12 850w PSU I received was bad and it cost me $13.50 to send back for RMA replacement.

OK, I never pay extra for the express coverage and always choose cheapest ground rate because I am not far from NCIX so doesn't matter which option I choose because it takes the same amount of time. Could have used the express rma on my latest purchase though because the Seasonic S12 850w PSU I received was bad and it cost me $13.50 to send back for RMA replacement.

Yeah I only buy it on monitors when I'm feeling picky. It's pretty cheap though, like $10 on the 22" I bought recently, seems worth it to me.

I do local pickup for all my stuff at NCIX. It's great. They'll price match any web retailer and I don't have to pay any shipping either.

I used to pick up from NCIX but am too far from them now for that. BTW, Newegg.ca has free shipping on many products and are very competitive with NCIX pricing so I have been buying more from them these days. If I didn't use newegg I wouldn't even have a 5870 right now because NCIX had no stock and their price for the out of stock 5870 I wanted was $50.00 more than newegg too. I just happoened to get lucky and checked newegg on a day they just got stock in so ordered one immediately.

this is one of the few industries that companies can get away with selling a broken product and basically tell the customer to screw off. its insane. i will never buy any products from companies that do their rma's via "refurb or exchange". fix it or replace it for crap sakes. dead pixels......technically if it has dead/stuck pixels the product is broken. if you bought anything else and it had defects in it you would return it. plain and simple. fact is if companies would get back to making decent products that kicked ass instead of outsourcing everything to the lowest bidder we wouldnt have this problem. people will always pay properly as long as the product and the customer service is of high quality. honestly i dont know why there hasnt been huge class action suits against manufacturers for this type of behaviour.

If this really bothers you, buy your monitors from a vendor that offers 'zero dead pixel' insurance, such as NCIX. It's pretty cheap, and they even pay the shipping both ways. Not sure how this works if you're a US customer, NCIX is local to me, but it's probably still a decent deal.

Personally I don't have a major problem with dead pixel policies by retailers. If the manufacturer won't replace it, why should they have to eat the cost of reselling it open box? That said, I do think NewEgg should take it back but charge their 15% restocking fee if you decide you don't like it.

i just read their policy for US LCD return policy.
minimum of 7 dead pixels.
one better then newegg....

Return policy is one of the most important things I look at when purchasing a monitor. So far, I've made purchases from BenQ and Dell (within their ultrasharp line). Dell offers free, prepaid return shipping until you're satisfied for just one bright pixel (though they almost always honor it for dead pixels and miscellaneous defects). BenQ is a little more strict, stating seven bad pixels total (dead or stuck), or three within a square inch, last time I checked. This seems excessive, but in my experience, these can be even the most minor defects, including stuck subpixels.

Essentially, from my encounters with customer service with these two companies, if you know what you're talking about, and are patient and respectful, they're more than happy to ensure you're satisfied, within reason. Dell tends to ensure you're satisfied even outside of what might seem reasonable -- I've seen people ship back in excess of seven monitors before getting one that's satisfactory to them. Naturally, as you take advantage of companies like this, the likelihood of them treating you (and sometimes even the greater population) favorably diminishes. Of course, I have seen some argue that perfection is expected, though often expectations from the perfectionists and professionals don't tend to meet consumer-grade products. I think some people might be benefited by tempering their expectations respective to what they're paying, and what the target market for their monitor is. I'll concede that those paying in excess of $1,000 for a professional-grade NEC or similar can command more unyielding standards.

I tend to place myself somewhere in the middle. I'll certainly return a monitor for any noticeable defects, but if it's something that's not applicable to me, I won't worry about it. For example, one of my Dell 2209WA's has a slight color shift to one side, leaving one side with a slightly yellowed hue. I don't do any photo editing, however (thus, perfect color accuracy isn't an issue), and it's only noticeable when looking for it on a completely white background, so it doesn't bother me. I notice it maybe once a month -- not worth the effort of continued RMAs for me, personally.

Last edited:
Yeah I avoided, no, ran away from Newegg when I was shopping for a display for my current build after seeing their return policy. I was swinging between Amazon (free return policy) and Dell (zero dead pixel policy), and ended up purchasing from the latter.

Maybe if more people wise up, they'll change their policy so that the manufacturer is responsible for the defects in their products instead of screwing customers.

Last edited:
I'm talking about if YOU have to ship it back to Dell, Newegg etc.. It will cost you a lot more than the $23.00 Dell charges you. I jut ordered a monitor from Newegg and it comes with free shipping and that is from the U.S. to Canada but if I had to ship it back I am expecting it would cost me in the $60.00 - $80.00 CAD range at least. I had to pay $25.00 CAD just to ship a video card back to EVGA down in Cali. A monitor weighs a lot more than a video card and is far more bulky too. To ship iZ3D 22" monitor to Canada iZ3D charges $60.00 USD and that is after they claimed they have recently reduced shipping rates. Dell, Newegg etc. get big cut rate deals on shipping because they ship lots of product. You, on the other hand, will get stiffed to ship it back to them.

My bad, in that case yes, it can be pricey! Why you need to shop locally when you can if you have the option, sometimes people thinking buying online is cheaper, but when you factor in shipping, if something goes wrong and you need to return it.. it can sometimes cost more!

Local store policies here go for 2 to 3 days. Good thing too coz i had to go through four LCD displays.

Back