Oh My God! Hot!

lametard

n00b
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Messages
54
My LGA 775 3.4 ghz runs at up to 72 C, which is incredibly hot. I'm getting kind of furious. I'm a noob to builds, so I need to know if there's anything i can do about this. I can see the heat coming out of the heatsink fan. Help! :mad:
 

Yllon

n00b
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Messages
44
Is that during dual prime?

My 3.4 northwood at 3.6 is running really hot also, 44c idle and 65c during dual prime. The prescott is supposed to be running even hotter, but i don´t know by how much.

I use the Abit IC7 mobo and it´s said to be showing higher temps than other boards, maybe the same is true for your Abit board? I suggest you visit abit-usa:s forum and fire off a question:

http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=48

Otherwise the common suggestions are reseating your heatsink and improving airflow in your case.
 

Koslov

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
1,889
your possible solution for your problem would be:

  1. Get a better heatsink/fan combo and use Artic Silver 5 thermal paste (very thin layer)
  2. Be sure your computer case has good airflow
  3. Get a air conditioning unit for your room (used one if you don't have a big budget)
  4. Sell your hardware and get an AMD64 system :)
 

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
13,486
As long as it's stable, it's not too hot is a pretty good rule of thumb like Tedinde says. By the time that chip might die, you'd probably be running something new anyways.

Plus, this is pretty much the behavior of Prescotts.
 

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
6,154
Koslov said:
your possible solution for your problem would be:

  1. Get a better heatsink/fan combo and use Artic Silver 5 thermal paste (very thin layer)
  2. Be sure your computer case has good airflow
  3. Get a air conditioning unit for your room (used one if you don't have a big budget)

Notice what I deleted...
 

kick@ss

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 22, 2000
Messages
5,541
Assuming you bought retail instead of OEM (which you should ALWAYS do, that's the cheapest extended warranty you can get on anything), I wouldn't worry about the heat that much. However, that does seem fairly hot. And, by the time that warranty runs out the CPU will be long obsolete.

What are you using to cool it?
 

lametard

n00b
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Messages
54
kick@ss said:
Assuming you bought retail instead of OEM (which you should ALWAYS do, that's the cheapest extended warranty you can get on anything), I wouldn't worry about the heat that much. However, that does seem fairly hot. And, by the time that warranty runs out the CPU will be long obsolete.

What are you using to cool it?

Right now, just the 7 fans in my case, and the gargantuan CPU heatsink that came with the processor. I'm so tired of tearing my computer apart to put in new stuff. Should I look into a small water cooling system to cool the CPU. That seems like more trouble and money than it's worth.
 

kick@ss

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 22, 2000
Messages
5,541
Morpheus256 said:
all abit boards report high temps
I can attest to that... my CPU is being reported running at something like 55-60C idle yet the heatsink is not even warm to touch and I know it's on very tight.
 

kick@ss

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 22, 2000
Messages
5,541
lametard said:
Right now, just the 7 fans in my case, and the gargantuan CPU heatsink that came with the processor. I'm so tired of tearing my computer apart to put in new stuff. Should I look into a small water cooling system to cool the CPU. That seems like more trouble and money than it's worth.
Don't worry about it unless your system starts crashing.
 

chrislg

n00b
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
41
Got the same problem on my IC7 with my 3.0c @ 3.75. It's been totally stable when stress testing it with Prime and CPU Burn-in (max CPU/mem usage) but it has been reporting ridiculously hot temperatures, 46-48 idle and 61 at max load. However, my SP-94 was hardly warm to the touch so I can't see it actually being that hot. As long as it is stable, I'm going to ignore it.
 
Joined
Oct 19, 2001
Messages
724
M4d-K10wN said:
You need AMD64.

Yeah, to run all that 64 bit software on Windows XP 64 bit Edition that is currently availab....oh yeah, oops. But hey, "You'll be ready for the future!"

How is your post relevant?

Anyway, I also have an IC7, and before that, an IT7, and have built many systems around Abit mobos. They report the temp around 8 to 13 degees high, end users know it, Abit knows it. We keep praying for them to fix it. But to make certain, reseat your heatsink. As Tedinde and kick@ss said, if your system isn't crashing, don't worry about it. If still 'noid about the temps, invest in a beefy hsf or invest in some watercooling lovin'.
 

Yiffy

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 5, 2001
Messages
1,105
Jesus, I wish Intel would hurry and give us some Pentium M lovin' on the desktop :(
 

milling_hordesman

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 26, 2004
Messages
164
kick@ss said:
I can attest to that... my CPU is being reported running at something like 55-60C idle yet the heatsink is not even warm to touch and I know it's on very tight.

is that with a prescott 3.4? because that's exactly what i have, and i get about 80C under load (Abit AA8-DuraMax MB). I think Intel's processor specs say no higher than 72C for the Prescotts, which is ridiculous, since their stock cooling solution can't even get it that low!
 

kick@ss

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 22, 2000
Messages
5,541
milling_hordesman said:
is that with a prescott 3.4? because that's exactly what i have, and i get about 80C under load (Abit AA8-DuraMax MB). I think Intel's processor specs say no higher than 72C for the Prescotts, which is ridiculous, since their stock cooling solution can't even get it that low!
No, mine is with a 3.0C @ 3.4.
 
Top