Oh bloody hell ATI, Paper Launch INC!

I havent seen sources that I trust enough yet to make a guess. From what I heard ATi had two seprate contracts with two diffrent Fabs to make lots of their cores but even still that could be wrong. I hope ATi will not half launch em. As in Have them out their but in limited supply.
Hopinh Ati Suprises me.

OMG ATI will probably listen to Kyle advices!!! :rolleyes:
Who knows... im just a canuck!

tornadotsunamilife said:
1. it was called 'phantom edition for the x800xtpe (see what they did there? moving on...)
2. from what you say, you're suggesting that the x1800's wil lave a pper launch because the x800's did, but so did 6800's and did the 7800's paper launch? no.

(sorry about the spelling, for some reason the 'flashy line' keeps moving forward and i can't stop it :D)

Availability for the x800xtpe was worse than the 6800ultra. You can argue that point if you wish...but I think the reputation the card earned speaks for itself.

And no I'm not trying to suggest any link between the x800s and x1800s except that this whole crossfire mess is a pretty good indication that ATi has not changed their ways...

And looking at the clock speeds of the x1800xt vs the xl, it looks to me that, once again, ATi is releasing a high end card which they can't produce in quantity...

That's all I'm really trying to say, and that's totally just the feeling I get and I could easily be wrong...time will tell...I'm just excited to finally read the reviews in about 12 hours...:)

I'm actually rooting for ATi, despite all of these setbacks it'd be really great if they did deliver a stellar product, even if in limited amounts.

AMD vs. Intel mirror anyone?

YmkFX said:
I'm actually rooting for ATi, despite all of these setbacks it'd be really great if they did deliver a stellar product, even if in limited amounts.
Not me. I don't like a tease.

And $999 at allstarshop.com counts as a major tease IMO. We'll see...

I despise paper launches...and baloney sandwich lunches.

"The bottom line is that the enthusiast hardware community wants products, not Canuck promises."

the term "Canuck" does not offend at all..what does offend is the implication that all Canucks (Canadians) are liars or dishonest.

seems like an intellectually premature statement to me...no harm done..well maybe a lil alienation from the Canucks out there.

fucking hilarious coming from the commander and chief of [H] though...take any P.R. classes lately?....roffle

ban me I'm Canadian...

Sir-Fragalot said:
No, it is right. So many forget that for years nVidia had a product cycle and performance that other companies including ATi have failed to keep up with for along time. ATi's only sucess against nVidia has been during the 9700Pro vs. FX 5x00 series days. That was the fluke. nVidia is just putting things right, and as usual no one else can keep up. Most of the time nVidia has been around it's been like this.

We would have had more stagnant ATi cards if nVidia didn't up the ante with the 7800GTX. ATi naturally is having a hard time matching them. nVidia hit them hard with the 6800's availability and feature set. Again they hit them with SLi. Finally the 7800GTX months before R520 comes out. ATi is playing catch up with Crossfire and with R520. Neither of which they were anywhere near ready to put out when they announced them. Paper launching the products is a PR scam. They are doing the only thing they can to save face against nVidia. They want people to think they can compete technologically. Even though they can't actually deliver a product.

This is the way it used to be before the NV30 days. I want to see competition more than anyone. Competetition drives innovation. Without it, we have a stagnant market like we typically do with the sound card market. Look at Creative Labs domination of the industry.

This isn't me being pro-nVidia, or anti-ATi. I have had my share of cards from both companies. I would prefer everything be equal across the board, with good availability and competetive pricing. But I remember how this industry has operated over the last 10 years. After the fall of 3DFX, which was in no small part to technological innovation by nVidia. 3DFX couldn't keep up. ATi kept failing with cards like the ATi Rage Fury MAXX.

The Radeon 9700Pro was the first real success for ATi. Sure the original Radeon and the Radeon 8500 were competetive. But they weren't decisively faster than anything nVidia had. The 9700Pro and the subsequent cards that competed against the FX series were the fluke. I don't think the FX series was bad. It was that the Radeon series at the time was just so much better.

I hope ATi recovers from this and gets past this paper launching crap.

First informative post of this topic instead of the biting of the heads. It's the real view on both card makers and the truth. Nice evaluation. Everyone should read this if they skipped over it.

PS: Can I also be your friend? :p

RandomTrend said:
I despise paper launches...and baloney sandwich lunches.

"The bottom line is that the enthusiast hardware community wants products, not Canuck promises."

the term "Canuck" does not offend at all..what does offend is the implication that all Canucks (Canadians) are liars or dishonest.

seems like an intellectually premature statement to me...no harm done..well maybe a lil alienation from the Canucks out there.

fucking hilarious coming from the commander and chief of [H] though...take any P.R. classes lately?....roffle

ban me I'm Canadian...

personally...I rather like canadians...you guys just seem to be good-natured...especially when compared to the US

Riptide_NVN said:
Not me. I don't like a tease.

And $999 at allstarshop.com counts as a major tease IMO. We'll see...

Oh well I'm not going to buy it of course, it's not like these flagship cards are very practical anyways. It's all just for the phantom glory. I think it'd be interesting if ATi still took it, irregardless of the price and availability.

Just for designs sake, to show their engineers can do some amazing stuff with the available technology.

rise4310 said:
" All vendors we've interviewed tell us that there will be no new ATI SKUs on their warehouse floors on the morning of October 5. Some report that they expect shipments within a few days, and others don't really expect shipments for at least a week...."

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2550

:rolleyes:
Wow, what a launch. :rolleyes:

Technically it is a "hard" launch but honestly after the GTX and GT launch thats just pathetic.

I have a feeling I'm going to launch a new browser window after 9:00 and buy a 7800 GT.

^eMpTy^ said:
funny how nobody nicknamed the ultra the phantom edition... :rolleyes:

That's nvidia's FAULT for not having a catchy PE

just a stupid U!

stupid!

:D

CrimandEvil said:
Wow, what a launch. :rolleyes:

Technically it is a "hard" launch but honestly after the GTX and GT launch thats just pathetic.

If it's supposed to be a launch...and they have yet to put a product out on launch day then it's a paper launch.

Mr. Miyagi said:
First informative post of this topic instead of the biting of the heads. It's the real view on both card makers and the truth. Nice evaluation. Everyone should read this if they skipped over it.

PS: Can I also be your friend? :p

Yes. :cool:

^^

*laughing* You couldn't wait 4 more hours to at least see what happens

smart move :rolleyes:
That has got to be one of the dumbest things ever. 4 ...just 4 HOURS to see if it's truly a flop

Netrat33 said:
^^

*laughing* You couldn't wait 4 more hours to at least see what happens

smart move :rolleyes:
That has got to be one of the dumbest things ever. 4 ...just 4 HOURS to see if it's truly a flop

Ignorance on your part? I guess you didn't read the Anand article today...nor the reviews here at the Hard....X1800XL is slower than the 7800 GT. Why WOULD you want it? Not that paper is fast anyway.

Joe Fristoe said:
Ignorance on your part? I guess you didn't read the Anand article today...nor the reviews here at the Hard....X1800XL is slower than the 7800 GT. Why WOULD you want it? Not that paper is fast anyway.

Thank you. The reviews came online at 9:00. I read the X1000 reviews and then ordered the 7800 GT. The 7800 GT is $314 after rebates too. ATI can keep its X1800XL as far as I'm concerned.

DaCoOlNeSs said:
ATI WHY DO YOU DO PAPER LAUNCHES?!

You act as if NV has never done it? The simple fact is, NV and ATi have always done them, in the past. NV did an outstanding job with the GTX, having them for sale, the day of the reivews. However, thats the first time it has ever happened. Hopefully its a new trend, but we dont know what will happen in the future. Are you going to say the same if NV doesnt have cards avail for a few weeks after reviews, if it happens down the road?

aldamon said:
Joe Fristoe said:

Thank you. The reviews came online at 9:00. I read the X1000 reviews and then ordered the 7800 GT. The 7800 GT is $314 after rebates too. ATI can keep its X1800XL as far as I'm concerned.

Thats a very good price on a GT, and it is available today, unlike the X1800XL. The GT is not always faster, dont know where you got that. Why would someone want it? Several reasons, how about better AF, and HDR+AA to name a few? Im not saying I wouldnt get the GT today either, just putting my opinion as to why someone would want a XL, as you seem to think there are no reasons.

fallguy said:
You act as if NV has never done it? The simple fact is, NV and ATi have always done them, in the past. NV did an outstanding job with the GTX, having them for sale, the day of the reivews. However, thats the first time it has ever happened. Hopefully its a new trend, but we dont know what will happen in the future. Are you going to say the same if NV doesnt have cards avail for a few weeks after reviews, if it happens down the road?

Thats a very good price on a GT, and it is available today, unlike the X1800XL. The GT is not always faster, dont know where you got that. Why would someone want it? Several reasons, how about better AF, and HDR+AA to name a few? Im not saying I wouldnt get the GT today either, just putting my opinion as to why someone would want a XL, as you seem to think there are no reasons.

Did you read the hardocp preview with benches?

Joe Fristoe said:
Did you read the hardocp preview with benches?

Yes, but I dont limit myself to just one review. There are several sites that I like to read reviews from. The GT is not always faster. Most of the time? Yeah, not always. And with better image quality, and being able to use HDR+AA, more ram, there are several reasons to consider the XL/XT when adding up your Christmas list.

You asked why would anyone want one, I simply gave a few answers. Although that largely depends on the street price when it does ship. If its $100+ more (which is likely) the things I mentioned may not be worth the extra cash.

fallguy said:
Yes, but I dont limit myself to just one review. There are several sites that I like to read reviews from. The GT is not always faster. Most of the time? Yeah, not always. And with better image quality, and being able to use HDR+AA, more ram, there are several reasons to consider the XL/XT when adding up your Christmas list.

You asked why would anyone want one, I simply gave a few answers. Although that largely depends on the street price when it does ship. If its $100+ more (which is likely) the things I mentioned may not be worth the extra cash.

I understand your logic and respect your opinion.

I can't find any x1000 series...anyone know where i can BUY them??? :D

Oh shit, thats right...ati did ANOTHER PAPER LAUNCH.... :eek: :mad:

Back