Oh bloody hell ATI, Paper Launch INC!

^eMpTy^ said:
I almost peed my pants when I read this post...

I can't say I'm at all surprised by this news...though I'm sad to hear it...as soon as I saw the clock speeds on the XT (especially the memory clock) I knew ATi was really pulling out all the stops trying to beat the GTX...and that translates to cards that are expensive to produce...which means poor availability...

Even if the x1800xt is faster than a GTX, nvidia will still be in good shape since they can actually produce the gtx in volume...by the time ATi gets their availability issues taken care of, G80 and R580 will be out...

However, for the people that get their hands on one, the x1800xt looks to be a sweet card from what we've seen so far...

Yea but its too bad your not even close on why the x1800xt is late. The die its based one was the last one to ramp up to production volumes and thus will lag behind (remember the last tape out annoucement). The mid and low end did not have the issues (soft ground) so they did not need the last re-spin. From the insiders we have on B3D the yeilds on the x1800xt are "pretty good".

What every one is forgetting is ATI is launching top to bottom product line. Congrads to nv to launch one card on the same day the NDA is released, but luanching one card is much easier than a full line....

DaCoOlNeSs said:
wow, great job ATI. guess I am no longer getting an X1800XL, I might as well get a 7800GT now, instead of waiting a month to do so. Why did they do this? they are so stupid to do that again. ATI WHY DO YOU DO PAPER LAUNCHES?!

Way to go George Bush! WWIII! Outstanding!......wait....hasn't happened yet? oh...my bad

Why not wait tilll....oh say tomorrow *shrug* before slinging mud

Netrat33 said:
Way to go George Bush! WWIII! Outstanding!......wait....hasn't happened yet? oh...my bad

ok then, Ill come back tommorow. It still wont be here.

Spank said:
I think he lost his credibility when he said that 2x7800 would do 22k in 3dmark05 right before the launch of that card. I wonder why he did that statement, could it be so he could get a few more sales?
:rolleyes: yes and any time someone says something wrong on the web they lose all credibility forever.

Netrat33 said:

why put off till tomorrow what you can do today?

Jbirney said:
Yea but its too bad your not even close on why the x1800xt is late. The die its based one was the last one to ramp up to production volumes and thus will lag behind (remember the last tape out annoucement). The mid and low end did not have the issues (soft ground) so they did not need the last re-spin. From the insiders we have on B3D the yeilds on the x1800xt are "pretty good".

What every one is forgetting is ATI is launching top to bottom product line. Congrads to nv to launch one card on the same day the NDA is released, but luanching one card is much easier than a full line....

hahahahaha...oh god PR spinning never fails to make me laugh...

of course it's easier to launch just one card...that's why everyone does it that way...ATi isn't out there doing things the hard way cuz they're cool like that...they're launching all their cards at once because they fucked up...I love how you try to paint them as "fighting the good fight" when the truth is they're in a big mess and it's all their own fault...

I mean, shame on nvidia for pacing themselves, launching cards on time, and having good availability...those bastards... :eek:

I'm not forgetting a damn thing about R520...that soft ground led directly to the card not clocking very high...hence the wait...now that they've fixed it they have a 300 million transistor chip running at 625mhz and it's closest sibling running 125 mhz slower...what does that tell you about the x1800xt? it's clocked as high as they can get and it's going to be a rare card...

why? because if they could get a lot of cards running at 625mhz, the x1800xl would be clocked higher...

aldamon said:
F.E.A.R. and Quake 4 come out on 10/18. Somebody please tell me why I shouldn't buy a 7800 GT today? It's going to kill me if I miss the sale price on the 7800 GT today and it turns out R520 won't be available for weeks. :(

It wouldn't surprise me if 7800 prices actually start going up a bit in the next few weeks as retailers figure out availability of the R520. If R520 does end up being a 'limited supply' part (as appears likely), there won't be much reason for 7800 parts to fall farther. So, I would guess now would be a great time to buy if you need a new card.

I just started a company five seconds ago and I'm launching a card that has:

128 pixel pipes
5GHz core
10GHz memory
Shader Model 10
512 Megabit bus.
1TB of Memory

It costs 600$ but I have an LE version for 19.95$ that OC's to the full version's speeds with a simple check box included in the driver control panel.

I think I'll launch a CPU line tomorrow. Stocks anyone?

:p

Obi_Kwiet said:
I just started a company five seconds ago and I'm launching a card that has:

128 pixel pipes
5GHz core
10GHz memory
Shader Model 10
512 Megabit bus.
1TB of Memory

It costs 600$ but I have an LE version for 19.95$ that OC's to the full version's speeds with a simple check box included in the driver control panel.

I think I'll launch a CPU line tomorrow. Stocks anyone?

:p
Im sure some company will release a card like that within 10 years

Netrat33 said:

How much do you usually go for at Sears? I heard they are having a sale on Craftsmen branded kit.

^eMpTy^ said:
hahahahaha...oh god PR spinning never fails to make me laugh...

And your typical Gloom and Doom on anything ATI is also quite funny. No sad really...

of course it's easier to launch just one card...that's why everyone does it that way...ATi isn't out there doing things the hard way cuz they're cool like that...they're launching all their cards at once because they fucked up...I love how you try to paint them as "fighting the good fight" when the truth is they're in a big mess and it's all their own fault...

I never said they were fighting the good fight. I was only adding a counter point to all the other people here that are saying (including you) its a paper launch. They are launching the line tomorrow and yes some are suppose to be avalible same day. So if they have most of their product line out tomorrow, is that a paper launch? Besides are you really planning to get one or are you just looking for another forum thread? All that maters is what ATI can do tomorrow. If they have cards out, good for them. And good for consumers.

I mean, shame on nvidia for pacing themselves, launching cards on time, and having good availability...those bastards... :eek:

Oh grow up.

I'm not forgetting a damn thing about R520...that soft ground led directly to the card not clocking very high...hence the wait...now that they've fixed it they have a 300 million transistor chip running at 625mhz and it's closest sibling running 125 mhz slower...what does that tell you about the x1800xt? it's clocked as high as they can get and it's going to be a rare card...

Dave from B3D and others have hinted there is a lot of leg room in the clock speed. And Dave himself said he thought they were "conservitive" in regaurds to the clock speed on the x18000xt. Maybe you should spend some time there and learn a few things.. :)

Crap, I joined to congratulate kyle on his commentary of Canuck promises and encourage him to follow through with no reviews until he can buy one. Now the thread is locked and the commentary appears to have disapeared?

I don't care as long as at sometime I can have a faster card which ATI has produced. ATI not being able to make as many XT's as expected isn't gonna make the 7800 GTX faster, rofl.

Siciliano said:
I don't care as long as at sometime I can have a faster card which ATI has produced. ATI not being able to make as many XT's as expected isn't gonna make the 7800 GTX faster, rofl.

However....not having an X1800XT makes it have no speed at all! Paper fan boy.

Joe Fristoe said:
However....not having an X1800XT makes it have no speed at all! Paper fan boy.

What, you think ATI will never have any cards out the door? They are gonna go to all the trouble to produce a card and never produce any? That's just stupid. Anti-ATI bandwaggon jumper fan boy rallyman.

:)

Siciliano said:
What, you think ATI will never have any cards out the door? They are gonna go to all the trouble to produce a card and never produce any? That's just stupid. Anti-ATI bandwaggon jumper fan boy rallyman.

:)

That smiley just made sure the x1800xt will come out tomorrow. :rolleyes: I went the sure route....7800GTX and haven't looked back. I don't wait for cards that (A) we don't know how fast they are (2) we aren't sure when they'll be out (3) are launched on paper only.

Does this constant drivel being spouted by the same posters over and over and over not get boring to anyone? This OCUK post has really got the NV !!!!!!s excited. What they fail to realise is that it's a well known fact that we won't have the card on launch...so because the UK doesn't have the card on launch day its a Phantom Edition....obviously. So does that apply to the GTX that wasn't available on launch day here also? Thought not... :rolleyes:

Since when did the UK launch become the be all and end all of NV !!!!!!s wet dreams?

I'm gonna start a new rumour....cos that seesm to be the 'in' thing at the mo....A little birdy told me that Afghanistan will have ten's of thousands of R520's tomorrow morning on shop shelves....but don't tell anyone else....it's a secret ;)

Tigerblade said:
Does this constant drivel being spouted by the same posters over and over and over not get boring to anyone? This OCUK post has really got the NV !!!!!!s excited. What they fail to realise is that it's a well known fact that we won't have the card on launch...so because the UK doesn't have the card on launch day its a Phantom Edition....obviously. So does that apply to the GTX that wasn't available on launch day here also? Thought not... :rolleyes:

Since when did the UK launch become the be all and end all of NV !!!!!!s wet dreams?

Perhaps you didn't read the Nvidia interview on the main page. It talks about over 40 vendors having the GTX on launch day. However...you talk as though you've seen evidence of the X1800XT being in stock somewhere? If so please share.

I don't recall anyone having GTX's the day they launched. Unless someone can claim that now. However, I am only waiting to see what ATI has, and if it's not as good as the GTX, then I will get my PCI-E system with two of those suckers in there. I had a GTX for a little while, but I had a water cooling mishap (Slit in a tube, sprayed water) and decided I will now wait to see what ATI has to offer.

Joe Fristoe said:
Perhaps you didn't read the Nvidia interview on the main page. It talks about over 40 vendors having the GTX on launch day. However...you talk as though you've seen evidence of the X1800XT being in stock somewhere? If so please share.

Tell me which shop had the GTX in numbers, hell even one card, on the shelf in the UK on it's launch please. I KNOW the R520 won't be available here....why is such a suprise to anyone else? I fail to see where in that sentence you read i put evidence of the R520 being available?

Tigerblade said:
Tell me which shop had the GTX in those numbers on the shelf in the UK on it's launch please. I KNOW the R520 won't be available here....why is such a suprise to anyone else? I fail to see where in that sentence you read i put evidence of the R520 being available?

US or UK...u talk as though it's just the UK when it doesn't appear to discriminate between continents. If you don't think they were available on launch then that's because you weren't looking. Newegg amoung other...if i'm not mistaken....had them. Why do you think there wasn't a big stink about the 7800GTX being a paper launch? There wasn't a stink because it wasn't a paper launch. That's something that doesn't NEED to be proven...it already has been.

The GTX was available when Nvidia said it would be.

Compare and contrast that with ATI's recent promises. :)

Jbirney said:
And your typical Gloom and Doom on anything ATI is also quite funny. No sad really...

Gloom and doom? I'm just trying to be realistic...if I'm wrong that's great...but I honestly think this launch is going to be another phantom edition fiasco...but we'll all see soon enough...

Jbirney said:
I never said they were fighting the good fight. I was only adding a counter point to all the other people here that are saying (including you) its a paper launch. They are launching the line tomorrow and yes some are suppose to be avalible same day. So if they have most of their product line out tomorrow, is that a paper launch? Besides are you really planning to get one or are you just looking for another forum thread? All that maters is what ATI can do tomorrow. If they have cards out, good for them. And good for consumers.

This is [H]ardOCP...nobody here gives a shit if they launch the x1300 on time...we've all been waiting for R520 for quite a while...and after all the waiting, they're about to paper launch the thing...right after paper launching crossfire...I'm sorry but I feel that's worthy of some negativity...

Jbirney said:
Oh grow up.

I did...in the 90s...

Jbirney said:
Dave from B3D and others have hinted there is a lot of leg room in the clock speed. And Dave himself said he thought they were "conservitive" in regaurds to the clock speed on the x18000xt. Maybe you should spend some time there and learn a few things.. :)

Once again, I have no doubt that some of these R520 cores will hit amazing clock speeds...what I doubt is their ability to do that with any consistency...i.e. there will be a limited number of cards which will overclock like mad...but can they make 25,000 of them and ship them before christmas? I don't think so.

And if you don't believe this is possible...just look at the x800xtpe...

Joe Fristoe said:
US or UK...u talk as though it's just the UK when it doesn't appear to discriminate between continents. If you don't think they were available on launch then that's because you weren't looking. Newegg amoung other...if i'm not mistaken....had them. Why do you think there wasn't a big stink about the 7800GTX being a paper launch? There wasn't a stink because it wasn't a paper launch. That's something that doesn't NEED to be proven...it already has been.

Can you please read my post again...jesus. OK, done that? From which country was all this hysteria started from? OCUK is a UK based e-tailer for hardware. This has been jumped on, pathetically IMO, to be gospel about the launch of r520. What u !!!!!!s aren't grasping is the fact that the GTX wasn't avaialble on launch date here too. So now OCUK have secretly encoded a message between the lines about the US release date too? Shit didn't see that at all. :rolleyes:

TBH i don't give a flying shit about what is available in the US, the whole arguement started from a UK e-tailer, so please, I'll ask again, show me a shop in the UK that had GTX on the shelves on launch date.....you can't?? That's because there weren't any. So as a UK launch its a 'paper launch', or do you disagree with that?

Tigerblade said:
Can you please read my post again...jesus. OK, done that? From which country was all this hysteria started from? OCUK is a UK based e-tailer for hardware. This has been jumped on, pathetically IMO, to be gospel about the launch of r520. What u !!!!!!s aren't grasping is the fact that the GTX wasn't avaialble on launch date here too. So now OCUK have secretly encoded a message between the lines about the US release date too? Shit didn't see that at all. :rolleyes:

TBH i don't give a flying shit about what is available in the US, the whole arguement started from a UK e-tailer, so please, I'll ask again, show me a shop in the UK that had GTX on the shelves on launch date.....you can't?? That's because there weren't any. So as a UK launch its a 'paper launch', or do you disagree with that?

the ocuk post got the conversation started...but that same sentiment was echoed by Kyle earlier today with his rant about availability...and that's why everyone is now fuming...

as for the GTX...I know of at least one person who actually received his 2 days before the card was even launched...so by that standard, at is already behind...;)

That's fair enough, but you can't argue a launch date from a UK hardware e-tailer. It's just known as fact we won't get it. That's my arguement. And until tomorrow this is all hearsay in regards to the US release. Odds on it won't be on the shelves, but the amount of keystrokes wasted on this subject is unreal.

^eMpTy^ said:
This is [H]ardOCP...nobody here gives a shit if they launch the x1300 on time...we've all been waiting for R520 for quite a while...and after all the waiting, they're about to paper launch the thing...right after paper launching crossfire...I'm sorry but I feel that's worthy of some negativity...

Of course we all care. Why else are we seeing posts about 6600s or x700?

Why don't you own an ultra instead of a GT? (besides the overclock when you could overclock the ultra a bit more)

^eMpTy^ said:
And if you don't believe this is possible...just look at the x800xtpe...

Look at the 6800ultra ;) same thing. Both were hard to find

i just came into this thread to say the following:

Oh bloody hell not another thread about paper launches and ati

serriously can we stop this? ok ATI did somthings wrong, who doesnt, they arent god ffs i wish you people would stop, and actualy wait for this stuff to come out instead of making fun of them

soulsaver

^eMpTy^ said:
the ocuk post got the conversation started...but that same sentiment was echoed by Kyle earlier today with his rant about availability...and that's why everyone is now fuming...

as for the GTX...I know of at least one person who actually received his 2 days before the card was even launched...so by that standard, at is already behind...;)

Well his rant was more on crossfire and motherboards and master cards

Edit: actually re-reading. Just master cards. Assumption though motherboards too

Netrat33 said:
Of course we all care. Why else are we seeing posts about 6600s or x700?

Why don't you own an ultra instead of a GT? (besides the overclock when you could overclock the ultra a bit more)

because when I bought my GT the Ultra was still hard to find...and yeah...let's get a show of hands of all the people that think having the x1300 on time and the x1800 late is a good thing...

Netrat33 said:
Well his rant was more on crossfire and motherboards and master cards

Edit: actually re-reading. Just master cards. Assumption though motherboards too

it's like this...this is an enthusiast site...and despite a lot of PR and announcments and reviews...we have no crossfire...and as of tomorrow we'll have no x1800...and in case you didn't notice, people are getting a little tired of waiting...

@ ^eMpTy^

could u please not double or trilpe posts

if you want to refer to a specific person

write
@ Name ..comment
@Name... comment
etc

as for the launch.. it looks to me is going to be a paper launch
one wants to be positive but all signs point to that... which is a shame for ati..

^eMpTy^ said:
because when I bought my GT the Ultra was still hard to find...and yeah...let's get a show of hands of all the people that think having the x1300 on time and the x1800 late is a good thing...

^eMpTy^ said:
funny how nobody nicknamed the ultra the phantom edition...

What is really funny is those two posts back to back.

^eMpTy^ said:
funny how nobody nicknamed the ultra the phantom edition... :rolleyes:

1. it was called 'phantom edition for the x800xtpe (see what they did there? moving on...)
2. from what you say, you're suggesting that the x1800's wil lave a pper launch because the x800's did, but so did 6800's and did the 7800's paper launch? no.

(sorry about the spelling, for some reason the 'flashy line' keeps moving forward and i can't stop it :D)

Back