Offline Consoles Devour $1.24 Billion of Electricity Annually

I've noticed this with my satellite receiver too. Powered up or down, the thing runs super hot. I've resorted to flipping the switch on my extension cord.

Satellite receivers (at least the models I have, plus the ones I've read about testing) use about 38 watts on and 35 watts in standby ("power saving" mode). Yes, you read that right. It manages to save 3 whole watts by going into power saving mode, which is now automatic with the new firmware (after four hours).

Also there remains a need to look at major coal-firing industry before individual homes are a huge threat to the environment.

Yeah but again, the issue is not raw energy consumption, but where that fuel comes from

If you're on the right, anti global warming, pro oil, pro gas, anti anybody but the rich, the status quo works well and you should shut the fuck.

Those on the left actually want to solve this, but dodge nuclear like idiots.

Shit Chinas beating us on green energy via government help on their end. That's why our solar companies fail, they don't have the same cash injection as the Chinese.

This is a point blank issue of political problems, vote right with the redneck racists and burn the world to a cinder, or vote left and try something.

Other great thing about leaning left, hotter chicks and better women. most hot chicks run from the "dumb fat and white" conservative types.

Everything in my house that isn't 220 is pluged into something I can switch off.

use it, then switch it off completely. Fuck ghost drains, my power bill is ridiculous enough cooling in Texas.

Yeah but again, the issue is not raw energy consumption, but where that fuel comes from

If you're on the right, anti global warming, pro oil, pro gas, anti anybody but the rich, the status quo works well and you should shut the fuck.

Those on the left actually want to solve this, but dodge nuclear like idiots.

Shit Chinas beating us on green energy via government help on their end. That's why our solar companies fail, they don't have the same cash injection as the Chinese.

This is a point blank issue of political problems, vote right with the redneck racists and burn the world to a cinder, or vote left and try something.

Other great thing about leaning left, hotter chicks and better women. most hot chicks run from the "dumb fat and white" conservative types.
Wow. This type of mentality is the other half of what makes living in cities like Baltimore and DC such shit. Yuppies and ghetto thugs. One will try to steal your wallet, one will rape your brain.

sd11 is putting on a comedy clinic here.

"Well Joe Schmo drives a F150 so I'm free to run my computer on idle 12 hours a day and not care about the power usage.... and in fact boast about how conservative my power usage is!"

And don't bother associating "liberals" with your attitudes. I believe the word you are looking for is hypocrites. At least the people you are stereotyping admit they DGAF about power consumption. You pretend to and then when your laziness WRT electricity waste is challenged go off on a tangent about others. Look in the mirror dude.

I have been chided many times that this is [H]. It's understood power consumption is not an issue. Overclocked SB, 3 OC'd 7970/680 running bitcoin 24/7 or folding is the norm isn't it?

Me? I'm on a power purge. The less power I use in my house, the happier I am. But I am most happy though with how much we have advanced in cutting down power usage of current CPUs and GPUs.

sd11 is putting on a comedy clinic here.

"Well Joe Schmo drives a F150 so I'm free to run my computer on idle 12 hours a day and not care about the power usage.... and in fact boast about how conservative my power usage is!"

And don't bother associating "liberals" with your attitudes. I believe the word you are looking for is hypocrites. At least the people you are stereotyping admit they DGAF about power consumption. You pretend to and then when your laziness WRT electricity waste is challenged go off on a tangent about others. Look in the mirror dude.

I don't drive a car, I'm not fat, and I don't live in a rural area, so I already do enough.

At least I'm not a conservative voting R to hide behind the fact that I'm a bigot that gets pissed because fat white dudes aren't attractive when they don't have cash, so fuck the darkies.

So go watch NASCAR, vote R, and become the most un wanted shit in this country. Lemme guess, you voted for the Palin fiasco, so sad, so bad. You're also slightly overweight and own a gun? Guessing I'm right here as well. Have fun on the losing side of history and being the most unfuckable type of person on the planet.

I don't drive a car, I'm not fat, and I don't live in a rural area, so I already do enough.

At least I'm not a conservative voting R to hide behind the fact that I'm a bigot that gets pissed because fat white dudes aren't attractive when they don't have cash, so fuck the darkies.

So go watch NASCAR, vote R, and become the most un wanted shit in this country. Lemme guess, you voted for the Palin fiasco, so sad, so bad. You're also slightly overweight and own a gun? Guessing I'm right here as well. Have fun on the losing side of history and being the most unfuckable type of person on the planet.

r5N6z.jpg

A bit self righteous I think...

Uhh... I live in an apartment and I shut everything off and even unplug some appliances.

I guess not being wasteful isn't good enough reason these days.

You and me both....

There really has been a sea change in the way people view responsible and sustainable living, and the environment...... these days, it just seems fashionable to just not give a fuck. I'm not even that old (26), but I remember when I was younger, conserving electricity, water, etc, weren't really controversial things.....

how quickly the times change...

woah, speaking as an adrent environmentalist,a minority, and a gun owning slightly-overweight dude, sd11's insane stereotypes just crack me up...

I voted for the Mccain/Palin fiasco 4 years ago too :) Going Obama for sure this time tho....

See? Broad stereotypes fail *hard* in the real world....

Yeah I'd do this too if damn thing didn't take fricking 10 minutes to boot up "Just a few more seconds...."

I dunno, the December update has screwed things up so bad, this may be a good thing !

Is it me here or do I get the distinct feeling that he doesn't like white people?

Thread derailed.

Also anyone who votes purely red or blue is as dumb as sd11's fantasy rednecks.

My waste is nothing compared to white hicks in red states that mooch off blue states, drive long distances to work, and have larger homes. When they believe in evolution and raw science, and start to conserve, they can bitch about my minor dent. Till then it's more "lol hicks in flyover country" for the real US.

Try not to choke on the food you eat, that comes from us rednecks in flyover country.

Or, on second thought, choke.

Sincerely, a registered Independent gun owning truck driving cop, who is happy as a pig in shit he doesn't live anywhere near you and your friends. BTW, San Francisco called, they want their smug back.

lol Sd11 your are funny.

The rest of these guys are 100% correct.

And it doesn't matter what anyone says here because you are so far up the river its just to late.

Thanks for the laugh this morning.

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

any why is is a concern if I'M PAYING MY OWN BILL!~ If I want to leave my consoles on, I can. If I want to leave the thermostat on 72F (22C for the rest of the world), I will. If I want to drive a big car, I will.

any why is is a concern if I'M PAYING MY OWN BILL!~ If I want to leave my consoles on, I can. If I want to leave the thermostat on 72F (22C for the rest of the world), I will. If I want to drive a big car, I will.

I believe the argument against that is that, if everyone used this mindset, we would not be able to sustain it indefinitely.

sd11, "you so crazy"! Thanks for the laughs.

As people already pointed out several times, the study assumes people don't put their stuff into standby...
So, go with the Energy Star plan and enable standby after one hour by default via a firmware update. Fixed and fixed.

Anyways. I see it this way: Use as much energy as you want, (Hell, use the electric oven to heat your house in winter, if you want) as long as you pay for it. Waste on purpose, not by accident.

As far as stereotype-breaking: I'm a gun-toting, meat-eating, right-wing/libertarian mix atheist spic.
Where's your God now?

If they have the financial ability to sustain whatever type of life they want, more power to them. Have you ever met a millionaire who didn't heat their home (primary, where they live the most at) to their level of comfort? If someone decides to drive a small car because they want to save gas, great, go for it. If I have the ability to pay the $7 per gallon, that I'm sure is coming, of gas I'll pay it. If I can't afford it, I will curb my behavior. But until the market prices me out of whatever it is I'm currently buying, I'll keep buying at a rate I can afford.

If they have the financial ability to sustain whatever type of life they want, more power to them. Have you ever met a millionaire who didn't heat their home (primary, where they live the most at) to their level of comfort? If someone decides to drive a small car because they want to save gas, great, go for it. If I have the ability to pay the $7 per gallon, that I'm sure is coming, of gas I'll pay it. If I can't afford it, I will curb my behavior. But until the market prices me out of whatever it is I'm currently buying, I'll keep buying at a rate I can afford.

The reference wasn't towards monetary, but resource sustainability. I've always sort of gone with the belief you should be allowed to do what you want, so long as it doesn't harm someone else. I kinda doubt the whole global warming thing seeing as the earth seems to naturally go in cycles, but at the same time, no one can deny there is a limited number of fossil fuels remaining, and if we wait until we've hit that point without a real plan B, it may not be even our grand kids, but it will not be a pretty site.

The reference wasn't towards monetary, but resource sustainability. ...

I understand what you are saying and will concede the point that there are a finite number or *existing* fuels to sustain our existence. But the market and the number or resources play hand in hand. We all know that as product X is in high demand, product X will have a value of Y. As demand for X increases and becomes less, value rises. yadda yadda yadda. True. But I also don't believe that fossil fuels will be the *only* future fuel used.

What gets me riled up is when a study like this comes out and politicians feel the need to protect us and start to draft legislation to "fix" the issue. My point is that I will continue to use/consume whatever product I want (yes, within the limits of the law) at a rate I can afford it. I don't need a government entity telling me that I CAN'T do this. I will leave my XBox, Wii, 2 servers and six workstations plugged in all year long. Heck, I'll even leave my microwave and coffee maker plugged in because I like the ability to glance over and simply read the time whenever I want. Maybe I'll even plug in an old VCR just so it can blink "12:00" all the time. :rolleyes:

The DVR and my network gear are about the only things I don't turn off. If it's off, it's not recording my shows. Everything else gets "standby". Who the hell leaves their PS3 or 360 on idle to sit and bake? Turn that sh!t off you damn kids. I had it beat into me as a child to not leave lights or TV's on etc if I wasn't watching them.

sd11, I don't understand how a member of this usually reserved board could be so stereotypical. I am a white, slightly overweight (190 lbs / 5'10") registered Republican. I drive a 14 yr old car that gets good gas mileage and I'm married to a beautiful woman who drives a 4 cylinder 05 Accord. I also own a small pickup with a larger engine in it (4L V6) that gets horrible mileage, but I only drive it when I need to haul something. I turn off all of my equipment and have converted to CFL lights as much as possible. I live in a nice house in the South, believe that law-abiding citizens have the right to own a gun, and possess a trait not known beyond the South, called hospitality.
I have friends on both sides of the political fence, of all races, and various sexual preferneces. I disagree with some of the conservative ideas (I am pro-choice, believe the Big Bang theory and in evolution), but I also support many right-wing ideas (smaller government, more incentives for able-bodied people to work than to sponge off the government, etc.) I have complete disdain for individuals who stereotype any group of people (especially when that group could include ME). What matters to me is that I respect my friends and their views, and they respect mine - even if we disagree - which we often do.
You, sd11, have no respect for others.
What you are, is an asshole.

Quoted, bolded, and underlined for importance.

Satellite receivers (at least the models I have, plus the ones I've read about testing) use about 38 watts on and 35 watts in standby ("power saving" mode). Yes, you read that right. It manages to save 3 whole watts by going into power saving mode, which is now automatic with the new firmware (after four hours).

That's about the same wattage as the 2 Replay TV's (DVRs) I was using.

So, I built a dual tuner HTPC. Only draws about 40 watts when in use, and <3 watts when sleeping.
Automatically wakes up, records the show and then goes back to sleep.
Saw a noticable drop in my electric bill.

It is a concern because you don't live on this planet by yourself. And if everyone has your attitude we would be in a much bigger mess than we currently are.

We don't live on a planet with infinite resources we share it all.

So basically what all do does effect everyone else.

$1.24B? No f'ing way. Consoles average 1W of power consumption in the off position. That means one would consume 8.76kWh annually. If every person in the US had a console, it would consume 2,628,000,000 kWh of energy. At the $0.13/kWh California residential energy rate that would amount to $341M / year. More likely there is only one console per family, so figure 4 people per family and that goes down to $85M / year. Then factor in that not every family owns a game console and the number goes down even further...

Now how much money is wasted on employing these envirohippies conducting useless studies like this? Can someone gift me the $65k/year these jackoff Ph.D's are probably making for the 5 minutes I spent calculating the non-hyperbolic figure?

And this my friend is why they are not gifting you $65k/year to do something like this.

FFS did you just see a number, read a few replies and assume $1.24B meant that was the value when the thing was in standby/off mode?

If you read the paper, and I don't expect you or many others here did, hell I didn't but I skimmed through enough of the highlights to see exactly what they did. They're basing the estimates off sales of systems, off projected hours that each system is actually in use going so far as to show that Wii users use the system much less than PS3 & Xbox users, hell they even go so far as to say how often it's used to watch movies which has a different power consumption, and yeah they do in fact state that standby power is like 1-2 watts for each system.

Hell, how many people turn off there office computer when they leave work? Given you actually used it 8 hours a day its still on the other 16 hrs.. I believe that would be a much higher number then $1.24B

Hell, how many people turn off there office computer when they leave work? Given you actually used it 8 hours a day its still on the other 16 hrs.. I believe that would be a much higher number then $1.24B

All the machines in our building go to sleep which isn't complete off but still alot less power usage then just idling.

Let the brown shirts take me away in the dead of night because I still use an Edison bulb (in my fridge). I still drive my mini van and it doesn't have any batteries it. I'm not going to buy a $60 LED bulb. I am going to use whatever I have at my disposal. What changes my consumption behavior is not a study or an angry neighbor but the market. If I can't afford it, I'll find a comparable product and use that. If I can't afford my electricity I'll use less there of. I don't walk around my house and turn on all the lights. I don't push the electric (is that a dirty word now? sorry) door opener on my garage just for fun: "Ohh, woooow". I know we all live on the same planet, breath the same air, use the same energy supplies, etc. And I know we can't just go out and get a new world with fresh, untapped supplies. We don't live in Terra Nova (glad that show got canned actually). My point is that when something costs too much I'll change. If I can afford to keep my Wii plugged in on standby then by George, I'll keep it plugged in.

Obviously conservationists have things besides monetary value in mind. It is hard to put a dollar value on pristine natural environments but to some such areas are very valuable indeed. Anyway, I'm not trying to advocate anything in particular, though I hope your stances on murder, stealing, ethics, etc. aren't also based entirely on market fluctuations and devoid of moral reasoning! :p

Some of the attitudes in these post are the reason why this planet is a mess. And pretty scary too!

I think some of you should live in a 3rd country for like 2 years to get a bitter better perspective or alteast open your eyes.

And that's the difference. Thank you for making my point. We don't live in the third world. We *have* electricity. We have clean water. We have plumbing. The reason we aren't a third world is because we have enough resources in our great country to power the generators that make our electricity. I agree with many people that fossil fuels aren't the final solution. They will run out, eventually. There are alternatives that we aren't exploring that could benefit our society.

People try to leave the third world because they don't have electricity (among other things). If they came here, would they still NOT USE electricity? Should we setup third world condition camps in each state so that those wanting to come here can still live like they used to? That's preposterous.
:confused:
Conserve where you can, use what you need.

My point was everyone should be looking to lower the consumption when needed as it benefits all of us.

I don't know why people started talking about money and being able to afford it and I will use it until I can't pay blah blah blah.

That was never the point. Each and everyone should be controlling and monitor their consumption regardless if you have a mcmansion or live in a tiny apartment.

Back