Officialy unsupported CPU shows as more hot than Intel recommend

postcd

Weaksauce
Hello,

i read the https://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/4/ showing it is possible to use socket 771 CPU on 775 motherboard. I checked motherboard FSB to match my CPU and motherboard max CPU TDP to support it.

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1 (socket 775)
CPU: Xeon E5430 (stepping A) (socket 771)

On the CPU was already a thing that seemed like a 771->775 reduction... so i just cut away two parts of the 775 socket to fit that 771 CPU and started computer after seating the heat sink and connecting FAN cable, all seems to work.

Issue is the CPU temperature is higher (maybe because i was unable to click one of the FAN PINs to the mothrboard and i left old thermal paste as it seems liquid and i do not have new paste. The temperature is like 60C when relatively idle, but like 85-90C under heavier load. I see on ark.intel.com that maximum temp. is 67C - "Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)." (i do not understand that description what is integrated heat spreader and how to know its temperature)

Is it too risky to use the computer until my thermal paste arrive in like one week?
Is it possible that detected temperature is wrongly interpreted by motherboard that do not know the CPU somehow?

(I see temperature figures from SW called Speccy and CPUID HW monitor.)

60c idle is not good. The integrated heat spreader is the metal "top" on your CPU, and it should be fairly close in temperature to the die, which sits protected directly below it.

I'd repaste. You probably won't fry your CPU, but it's not healthy for it to run it undercooled for very long.

There could be a few issues going on here:

First typically Xeon's use less voltage than their consumer brethren, so using more voltage is going to generate more heat typically.

Second, your motherboard could be using the incorrect data to produce a valid temperature, it is most likely using profiles for 775, not 771 processors. You would need to do some research to see if they use different values to calculate heat between the two processors and sockets.

Finally, re-using thermal paste is rarely suggested. There are plenty of tips on here about applying thermal paste and getting the best seal for heat transfer and cooling.

Another thing you could try is getting a proper heat measuring tool that will give you the actual temperature, not the calculated temperature.

Speccy app values of "CPU CORE" to be between 1.072 V and 1.216 V which is within ark.intel.com min/max range: "0.850V-1.3500V" - so i expect the voltage is not a problem here....

As a temporary work around i disabled FAN management mode in BIOS so FAN runs at full speed. Then in MB tweaker in BIOS i enabled custom CPU frequency and set from 333MHz to 200MHz. The Gigabyte has EasyTune SW that can do it also withing windows, but beware that decreasing that value within WIndows possibly caused blue screen in my case. CPU temperature is between 50-70 while 70 is full load. CPU is a bit weaker in lower frequency.

60c idle is not good. I'd repaste.

On Linux i see 40-55C relatively idle running OS.

Sort the paste out then come back.

Yes, today i re-pasted using new paste and disabled CPU frequency limiting in BIOS (so it runs without any cap) and i do not see any significant temperature drop when comparing of using old paste.

This is when like 90% CPU is utilized:

$ sensors
Code:
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +94.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:       +82.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:       +79.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:       +75.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

$ inxi -Fz
Code:
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Xeon E5430 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 6144 KiB
           Speed: 2665 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2665 2: 2666 3: 2666 4: 2665

So i am thinking to let it run like this and hope it will not fry the CPU.. the cooler is the stock one it should be OK. FAN RPM is unlimited (maximum).

Did you ever fix this issue?
I have not removed the motherboard from the case during the process (i guess that is wrong and i am lucky i have not damaged the motherboard), so i can not verify the PINs of the heat sink are fully thru the motherboard. But the heat sink was holding pretty solid, i tried pushing it by hand out of the motherboard and holds solid.

I have not removed the motherboard from the case during the process (i guess that is wrong and i am lucky i have not damaged the motherboard), so i can not verify the PINs of the heat sink are fully thru the motherboard. But the heat sink was holding pretty solid, i tried pushing it by hand out of the motherboard and holds solid.

I don't doubt that it's solidly held. I'm doubting that it has the mounting pressure to allow the HSF to work properly.

Back