Official World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Litch King Thread

So copying the WoW folder with Lich King installed to another computer for a different account that doesnt have any Expansions enabled, still allowed that account user to take advantage of the graphical enhancements included. Interesting. It also allowed for UI Tools that required BC to work as well, even tho that user did not own BC or Wrath.

It's a problem with class balancing that has been exasperated significantly by arena. Stupid class buffs and nerfs have all gone live BECAUSE of arena. Perfect example: arcane shot dispel. Perfect example #2: half-duration DoTs on mage armor. Perfect example #3: warlocks being nerfed into the ground, returning them to the status they had when WoW first launched: free HKs.

I think it's quite reasonable to extrapolate poor performance in arena for shamans based on level 70. Shamans started to fall behind in a big way with patch 2.0 - not even with TBC, but with the TBC patch. Without SIGNIFICANT HUGE buffs, shamans will not catch up. And if there's one thing that the last 2+ years have taught the shaman community, it's that Blizzard will not give shamans buffs.

Actually, I take that back. It wasn't patch 2.0...it was the shaman "review" that was supposed to happen two patches prior but got pushed back because of mage and paladin whining. Shamans fell behind when Blizzard decided mages couldn't wait and did mages and shamans both at the same time, then Eyonix went AWOL, didn't collect or deliver feedback, then comes back post-review "lol hai guyz, how did you like your class review?" None of the shaman requests were answered, but hey, at least mages got a free evocation!

(And by the way, I have yet to see a gripe from the mage community that was valid.)

Wall of text inc!

There were some pvp-specific "stupid class buffs" well before arena. One that immediately comes to mind is death coil. Though it's significance has diminished by now, it was one of the biggest gripes against the warlock for a very long time.

Keep in mind that arena isn't all the PvP that goes on. These DO benefit from individual play during BGs. I enjoy any buffs that come my way regardless of what it was intended for (Icy veins for example also has PvE applications and doesn't hurt for BGs either). Just because arena is where Blizzard focuses on more serious and competitive PvP play, it doesn't mean it "ruined" anything. I personally would much rather play in the current incarnation of PvP than the zoo that it used to be. This is excluding the old honor grind. The gear, the play styles, and the goal of PvP had little-to-no direction to it. PvP was never really good to begin with, so I really don't see what was "ruined" since arena started.

I'm not familiar with the long-standing Shaman gripes. If you can tell me about it, it'll help me understand your position a little better.

Mage gripes in PvP can apply to some other spell casters. Once we go oom, we're as good as dead. We have no consistent way of regenerating mana. There's spell pushback in our spell casts, and our most "viable" PvP spec has absolutely zero talents to provide passive pushback resist. A change made during TBC gave mages ice block and replaced it with Icy Veins. That's a good thing, but it certainly didn't solve the problem. On top of spell casting, we have major LoS issues, and being wide open for a spell interrupts. Spell casting just made mages look like a doofus, standing in one spot while trying to do any damage at all. We also have no class-exclusive methods of healing ourselves. The glyph of evocation may make things interesting though.

Meanwhile, locks can run around, tack on dots, and do damage regardless of their positioning, just as long as they were in LoS for a split second. They also often have a Fel Hunter (commonly used pet) that can independently use its utility regardless of the master's status (for example, he could be CCed, snared, out of LoS, etc, but a fel hunter could still spell lock if it's on its target). I have to admit though, locks are kind of hurting in WotLK, but the almost guaranteed losses I would get from them as a mage makes me kind of careless about it.

Healers had a huge mana pool and high mana regen. Priests and Druids were insane with instant cast heals not only because the healing itself was extremely high, but I have no opportunity to counterspell, and they can safely LoS my spell casts on a whim. However, like I mentioned earlier, Paladins MUST cast to do any healing. That's where I get my opportunity to CS them. Clever pallies would bubble before they start healing. Regardless, one missed CS would often cost me the match against pally healers.

Shaman are quite similar, but a clever one is just as frustrating as a priest/druid. The good ones tend to hug the pole and run in circles to keep me out of their LoS. Along with Bloodlust/Heroism, getting a well-time CS is much more difficult. This is excluding the grounding totem that can absorb it (Is it grounding totem? I can't remember). I can keep an eye out and ice lance the totems before making any attempts, but smart shamans throw one down just as they are about to heal. What can I do, wait for the totem to ice lance it? Well, that's my only choice to make the opening, but by then, they would have healed their partner (or himself, depends on who we target) twice already. All the time spent trying to get that opening is time wasted when I could be doing something else. But if I had the skill level, I could possibly help damage the partner, then Ice Lance/CS the shaman when the opportunity arises in that short window. That way, his 2 heals wouldn't be enough to keep his partner up for long. It's a matter of strategy and skill level from there. I don't even know if that would work. Regardless, only the dumbest healing shamans would give me the opportunity to take out their grounding totem, CS them, and steal their Bloodlust.

On top of all that hassle I have to go through to pull off a CS, that won't guarantee me a win. There's an 8 second window (plus ~1.5 seconds of a heal cast) to burn down the healer's partner. Once that window closes, it's pretty much over on my end. For example, a team that can communicate well will have the partner try and LoS me before I could do any significant damage. That will buy some time for the CS to wear off.

Anyhow, I think balance druids and elemental shammies were in the same boat of mages. They were certainly not popular, but there were always some oddballs that manage to make it to the top too.

When it comes down to it, mobility is crucial in arena. Most classes can spec for that kind of mobility, but mages couldn't in their most fitting PvP spec. I mean come on, we have 3 pure dps specs and this is the best we can do? That is our gripe on the PvP front. I'm certainly not speaking for all mages, but we don't want arena removed. We want to be competetive in it. The PvE gripes are about a whole different kind of issue.

The new arcane seems like the most ideal tree for this situation, but the sacrifice on sheer survivability and utility makes it questionable on a more serious level. Frost has a strong establishment as a PvP spec regardless of its inherent flaws (after all, it's all we had), and Deep Freeze can reinforce that play style even more. Arcane does have a few survivability talents like Prismatic Cloak, Improved Blink, and Slow, but I'm unsure if it'll offset the total losses. We'll have to wait and see.

From what I remember while playing mages were the worst class. I think they still are the worst class but have had some recent and by recent I mean wotlk, improvements.

I generally don't like to hop in on the mage QQ train, but we did have it pretty bad. By S3, not only were mage encounters rare in 2v2, but they were partnered with a rogue probably 100% of the time.

I thought Grizzly Hills was one of the worst zones. Zul'drak and Dragonblight were probably my 2 favorite so far. Although I'm also loving Storm Peaks but haven't cleared it yet.

Yeah I didn't like Grizzly Hills either, but people who like more of the classic WoW feel would certainly like it. It kind of reminds me of red ridge mountains. I can't decide on what my favorite zone is yet :eek:.

I cant believe I came back for WoW. The best part is I have played one time in the past 5 days, so that's ridiculous compared to how I used to play.

Wall of text inc!

There were some pvp-specific "stupid class buffs" well before arena. One that immediately comes to mind is death coil. Though it's significance has diminished by now, it was one of the biggest gripes against the warlock for a very long time.

Keep in mind that arena isn't all the PvP that goes on. These DO benefit from individual play during BGs. I enjoy any buffs that come my way regardless of what it was intended for (Icy veins for example also has PvE applications and doesn't hurt for BGs either). Just because arena is where Blizzard focuses on more serious and competitive PvP play, it doesn't mean it "ruined" anything. I personally would much rather play in the current incarnation of PvP than the zoo that it used to be. This is excluding the old honor grind. The gear, the play styles, and the goal of PvP had little-to-no direction to it. PvP was never really good to begin with, so I really don't see what was "ruined" since arena started.

I'm not familiar with the long-standing Shaman gripes. If you can tell me about it, it'll help me understand your position a little better.

Mage gripes in PvP can apply to some other spell casters. Once we go oom, we're as good as dead. We have no consistent way of regenerating mana. There's spell pushback in our spell casts, and our most "viable" PvP spec has absolutely zero talents to provide passive pushback resist. A change made during TBC gave mages ice block and replaced it with Icy Veins. That's a good thing, but it certainly didn't solve the problem. On top of spell casting, we have major LoS issues, and being wide open for a spell interrupts. Spell casting just made mages look like a doofus, standing in one spot while trying to do any damage at all. We also have no class-exclusive methods of healing ourselves. The glyph of evocation may make things interesting though.

Meanwhile, locks can run around, tack on dots, and do damage regardless of their positioning, just as long as they were in LoS for a split second. They also often have a Fel Hunter (commonly used pet) that can independently use its utility regardless of the master's status (for example, he could be CCed, snared, out of LoS, etc, but a fel hunter could still spell lock if it's on its target). I have to admit though, locks are kind of hurting in WotLK, but the almost guaranteed losses I would get from them as a mage makes me kind of careless about it.

Healers had a huge mana pool and high mana regen. Priests and Druids were insane with instant cast heals not only because the healing itself was extremely high, but I have no opportunity to counterspell, and they can safely LoS my spell casts on a whim. However, like I mentioned earlier, Paladins MUST cast to do any healing. That's where I get my opportunity to CS them. Clever pallies would bubble before they start healing. Regardless, one missed CS would often cost me the match against pally healers.

Shaman are quite similar, but a clever one is just as frustrating as a priest/druid. The good ones tend to hug the pole and run in circles to keep me out of their LoS. Along with Bloodlust/Heroism, getting a well-time CS is much more difficult. This is excluding the grounding totem that can absorb it (Is it grounding totem? I can't remember). I can keep an eye out and ice lance the totems before making any attempts, but smart shamans throw one down just as they are about to heal. What can I do, wait for the totem to ice lance it? Well, that's my only choice to make the opening, but by then, they would have healed their partner (or himself, depends on who we target) twice already. All the time spent trying to get that opening is time wasted when I could be doing something else. But if I had the skill level, I could possibly help damage the partner, then Ice Lance/CS the shaman when the opportunity arises in that short window. That way, his 2 heals wouldn't be enough to keep his partner up for long. It's a matter of strategy and skill level from there. I don't even know if that would work. Regardless, only the dumbest healing shamans would give me the opportunity to take out their grounding totem, CS them, and steal their Bloodlust.

On top of all that hassle I have to go through to pull off a CS, that won't guarantee me a win. There's an 8 second window (plus ~1.5 seconds of a heal cast) to burn down the healer's partner. Once that window closes, it's pretty much over on my end. For example, a team that can communicate well will have the partner try and LoS me before I could do any significant damage. That will buy some time for the CS to wear off.

Anyhow, I think balance druids and elemental shammies were in the same boat of mages. They were certainly not popular, but there were always some oddballs that manage to make it to the top too.

When it comes down to it, mobility is crucial in arena. Most classes can spec for that kind of mobility, but mages couldn't in their most fitting PvP spec. I mean come on, we have 3 pure dps specs and this is the best we can do? That is our gripe on the PvP front. I'm certainly not speaking for all mages, but we don't want arena removed. We want to be competetive in it. The PvE gripes are about a whole different kind of issue.

The new arcane seems like the most ideal tree for this situation, but the sacrifice on sheer survivability and utility makes it questionable on a more serious level. Frost has a strong establishment as a PvP spec regardless of its inherent flaws (after all, it's all we had), and Deep Freeze can reinforce that play style even more. Arcane does have a few survivability talents like Prismatic Cloak, Improved Blink, and Slow, but I'm unsure if it'll offset the total losses. We'll have to wait and see.

I generally don't like to hop in on the mage QQ train, but we did have it pretty bad. By S3, not only were mage encounters rare in 2v2, but they were partnered with a rogue probably 100% of the time.

So basically, my statement "I've never heard a legitimate mage gripe" is still true.

It's laughable that you complain about lack of mobility as a mage. You're absolutely the most mobile caster in the game. Warlocks? Pfft. Warlocks get spamstringed, crippling poisoned, etc., and have NO defenses against it. Fear is the most gimp form of control in the game for a class that's supposed to be ALL about control. You guys get a ridiculous number of instant casts, some of which aren't on cool down (Ice Lance), blink, frost nova, the new FotM arcane spells, etc. And you still get survivability tools like Ice Block. I'm sorry if you're butthurt about being killed by warlocks, QQ, get over it and go spec arcane so you can two-shot them :rolleyes: It's about as pointless as me whining about getting owned by warriors, hunters, and rogues. You want to talk about lack of mobility? Elemental shamans don't have a single decent instant cast spell. They've got their shocks but they can't use them for damage because they have to be saved for interrupts. Or warlocks - sure we can dot something up but at best it means we might get a kill after we've died. Most of the bursty spells we can have are in the destruction tree which isn't particularly good for pvp - it's basically a gimp mage with none of the mage's more useful pvp tools.

Waaah, you have to manage mana? It's not like you don't have any tools for that now, right? No mana gems, no evocate - yes evocate leaves you vulnerable. QQ, it's still better than nothing. And mana gems are instant.

Abilities like blink and ice block = if you're whining as a mage you really need to just get over it. You have far more tools to help win a fight than most classes do.

So basically, my statement "I've never heard a legitimate mage gripe" is still true.

It's laughable that you complain about lack of mobility as a mage. You're absolutely the most mobile caster in the game. Warlocks? Pfft. Warlocks get spamstringed, crippling poisoned, etc., and have NO defenses against it. Fear is the most gimp form of control in the game for a class that's supposed to be ALL about control. You guys get a ridiculous number of instant casts, some of which aren't on cool down (Ice Lance), blink, frost nova, the new FotM arcane spells, etc. And you still get survivability tools like Ice Block.

Wait a minute... is this the counter to all the arguments I made so far? Telling me how bad warlocks have it? Telling me how bad warlocks have it doesn't suddenly make my arguments invalid. Don't change the subject. Respond to the arguments that I made about our offensive mobility. After all, I didn't mention a single thing about our defensive mobility in my last post. But now that you've brought it up, I'll talk about it a little bit.

Although we have defenses, we aren't suddenly immune to the same old snares and CC. We have ways to deter it, but it never solved the long-standing problems. I could go ahead and write out more long drawn-out scenarios from my real-world 2v2 experience, but that'll just create another wall of text that you probably won't understand clearly or care to read. On top if that, it's still a small light on the entire PvP spectrum. As detailed as I can write things out, I can only speak from the experience of a ~1700 2v2 scrub. But so far, its more than what you've described in your gripes.

Oh and ice lance spams don't help me win games. "Instant cast" with no cooldown just isn't as happy as it sounds. And I'm sure fear has about as bad as polymorph for pvp CC :p.

I'm sorry if you're butthurt about being killed by warlocks, QQ, get over it and go spec arcane so you can two-shot them :rolleyes:

I could have sworn we were talking about competetive arena in TBC. Competition stopped after patch 3.0.2. Arcane and fire specs were utter jokes. Did you not read my post about how I felt locks are hurting in WotLK? Of course you didn't.

It's about as pointless as me whining about getting owned by warriors, hunters, and rogues. You want to talk about lack of mobility? Elemental shamans don't have a single decent instant cast spell. They've got their shocks but they can't use them for damage because they have to be saved for interrupts.

Yes I acknolwedged elemental shammies in my last post. I said that the mage gripes can also apply to some other spell casting classes (including elemental shamans). Please read it more carefully. You at least had one decent spec you could pigeon-hole yourself into. We got 2 specs that were pure garbage, and one spec that had still gives us bottom-tier representation on average.

Or warlocks - sure we can dot something up but at best it means we might get a kill after we've died. Most of the bursty spells we can have are in the destruction tree which isn't particularly good for pvp - it's basically a gimp mage with none of the mage's more useful pvp tools.

So you think burst damage is crucial in arena? Not necessarily. One of the most viable lock builds for PvP was not built around that kind of play style (SL/SL). Some teams, for an extreme example, are made specifically to exploit some weaknesses of other teams with sheer longevity and mana burns. Also known as "drain teams." Locks can include themselves in it because they can drain mana, do damage, life tap their mana on-the-fly and get healed back by super-efficient healers. I thought you would have known about all this by now.

Waaah, you have to manage mana? It's not like you don't have any tools for that now, right? No mana gems, no evocate - yes evocate leaves you vulnerable. QQ, it's still better than nothing. And mana gems are instant.

What the hell? You just told Rozal0, "Someone let me know when Rozal0 turns 18 in 6 years, because then maybe he'll be capable of holding a discussion with someone" and ignored him for acting just like you are right now. And now your arguments are boiling down to this already? Don't take my arguments as QQs because when it comes down to it, my position still stands: I much prefer the current PvP system over what it was before arena. I have MUCH less complaints now than I would have a few years ago. The reason why I brought up my arguments was to respond to your line, "And by the way, I have yet to see a gripe from the mage community that was valid." Well, I have yet to hear any good direct counters to my points from you.

Anyhow, single-use long cooldown abilities does not suddenly solve the mana issue. It's plainly obvious. Being able to pull off 1-3 extra spells with our already-flawed spellcasting mechanic doesn't turn tables. Our mana issues just adds even more hassle on top of everything else I described in my last post. That's where I stopped at, "We have no consistent way of regenerating mana." I didn't go into depth about it because I figured it's pretty straightforward.

Abilities like blink and ice block = if you're whining as a mage you really need to just get over it. You have far more tools to help win a fight than most classes do.

What kind of fights exactly? Duels, arena, or BGs? Because it's certainly not true in all cases, especially arena.

Anyhow, I'm still waiting on your specific shaman gripes from some real experience you had, and how it lead you to believe that arenas ruined PvP. Not some theorycrafting. I'm not even sure whether you're QQing about enchancement or elemental specs anymore. If it's about both, I'll be expecting a lot of information.

Bring in some real-world experience you had against different teams. I wanna know what kinds of situations you were put into, that lead you to believe you had no way to deal with it. Once again, it'll help me understand your position better.

I prefer the mana management of Frost when leveling then the pure out hellacious wasting of it with arcane. I can kill 5-7 single target mobs w/o drinking while the arcane mage my equal can MAYBE squeez out two.

For me it's Frost to level and Arcane to PVP

Wait a minute... is this the counter to all the arguments I made so far? Telling me how bad warlocks have it? Telling me how bad warlocks have it doesn't suddenly make my arguments invalid. Don't change the subject. Respond to the arguments that I made about our offensive mobility. After all, I didn't mention a single thing about our defensive mobility in my last post. But now that you've brought it up, I'll talk about it a little bit.

I did respond to your arguments about offensive mobility. You have a helluva lot more instant casts than any other caster class in the game. You can cast them while moving. And you have better mobility than any other class in the game with blink.

Although we have defenses, we aren't suddenly immune to the same old snares and CC. We have ways to deter it, but it never solved the long-standing problems. I could go ahead and write out more long drawn-out scenarios from my real-world 2v2 experience, but that'll just create another wall of text that you probably won't understand clearly or care to read. On top if that, it's still a small light on the entire PvP spectrum. As detailed as I can write things out, I can only speak from the experience of a ~1700 2v2 scrub. But so far, its more than what you've described in your gripes.

2vs2 is little more than glorified duels with lesser rewards than any other bracket.

Oh and ice lance spams don't help me win games. "Instant cast" with no cooldown just isn't as happy as it sounds. And I'm sure fear has about as bad as polymorph for pvp CC :p.

It will sure help you against shamans, for example, and it's still damage that you can cast on the move.

I could have sworn we were talking about competetive arena in TBC. Competition stopped after patch 3.0.2. Arcane and fire specs were utter jokes. Did you not read my post about how I felt locks are hurting in WotLK? Of course you didn't.

You're right, but arcane is OP now, period. Arena isn't the only form of pvp.

Yes I acknolwedged elemental shammies in my last post. I said that the mage gripes can also apply to some other spell casting classes (including elemental shamans). Please read it more carefully. You at least had one decent spec you could pigeon-hole yourself into. We got 2 specs that were pure garbage, and one spec that had still gives us bottom-tier representation on average.

But at least you could choose that one viable spec and gear it up and do what you want to do in arena. Since you want to talk about pre 3.0 arena, shamans did not have a single spec that excelled in arena. Resto was a second rate healing spec, elemental was too easily shut down, and enhancement couldn't even get to ranged opponents to attack them and couldn't hold their own against melee opponents. Sorry, but speccing frost and doing arena for one set of gear is a little different from speccing as a crappy healer, farming a healing set so that you could MAYBE hold your own, and then farming an elemental or enhancement set for a spec that never stood a chance.

So you think burst damage is crucial in arena? Not necessarily. One of the most viable lock builds for PvP was not built around that kind of play style (SL/SL). Some teams, for an extreme example, are made specifically to exploit some weaknesses of other teams with sheer longevity and mana burns. Also known as "drain teams." Locks can include themselves in it because they can drain mana, do damage, life tap their mana on-the-fly and get healed back by super-efficient healers. I thought you would have known about all this by now.

And SL/SL has been nerfed into the ground. Why? Arena. Now locks are suffering.

Anyhow, I'm still waiting on your specific shaman gripes from some real experience you had, and how it lead you to believe that arenas ruined PvP. Not some theorycrafting. I'm not even sure whether you're QQing about enchancement or elemental specs anymore. If it's about both, I'll be expecting a lot of information.

Elemental: one counterspell = GG.
Enhancement: can't even make it to their ranged opponent. Too vulnerable to every kind of control out there.
Resto: one counterspell = GG.
All specs: "you can't do that while stunned."

Bring in some real-world experience you had against different teams. I wanna know what kinds of situations you were put into, that lead you to believe you had no way to deal with it. Once again, it'll help me understand your position better.

I didn't do arena past season 2 because I got fed up with it.

I did respond to your arguments about offensive mobility. You have a helluva lot more instant casts than any other caster class in the game. You can cast them while moving. And you have better mobility than any other class in the game with blink.

Ok for offensive mobility, we got ice lance, fire blast and...? Frost nova and cone of cold, which can easily put us in the range of melee? So I got 1 spammable spell that does shit for damage unless I can get my target frozen. It usually breaks in 1 hit, and does well under 2k crit against a PvP target. Then we got 2 other instants that are on an 8 second CD, have a terrible mana/damage ratio, and often do less damage than a frozen ice lance (since frozen ice lances inherently have a high chance to crit). And we got a snare that does shitty damage and a 24-sec CD. The sad thing is, it's required to make our ice lance any useful. Do you honestly think a frost mage's offensive mobility was worth any discussion? But wait, we got arcane explosion as another instant cast spammable spell too! I guess that's just too much for anyone to take in.

It will sure help you against shamans, for example, and it's still damage that you can cast on the move.

Uh.. no. I'll lose a quarter of my mana scratching the surface of anyone's health before it gets healed up by a single spell. I'd love to see you play a mage and try to succeed with ice lance spams lol. And here you insulted me when I mentioned the issue of mana management in my previous post.

You're right, but arcane is OP now, period. Arena isn't the only form of pvp.

Right now right now? Or right now as in lvl 80 pvp where it matters?

But at least you could choose that one viable spec and gear it up and do what you want to do in arena. Since you want to talk about pre 3.0 arena, shamans did not have a single spec that excelled in arena. Resto was a second rate healing spec, elemental was too easily shut down, and enhancement couldn't even get to ranged opponents to attack them and couldn't hold their own against melee opponents. Sorry, but speccing frost and doing arena for one set of gear is a little different from speccing as a crappy healer, farming a healing set so that you could MAYBE hold your own, and then farming an elemental or enhancement set for a spec that never stood a chance.

Once you've specced a PvP build to get PvP gear, there was absolutely no point in speccing anything else. Why spec frost to struggle getting gear, then respec fire/arcane to get facerolled with it? Think about it from a realistic perspecive. Anyway, I saw resto shamans plenty of times even during S3, they were far, far more common than any mage I've seen. I guess mages had it even worse than that :p.

Elemental: one counterspell = GG.
Enhancement: can't even make it to their ranged opponent. Too vulnerable to every kind of control out there.
Resto: one counterspell = GG.
All specs: "you can't do that while stunned."

Is this as specific as you can get? Try re-reading my post about how tricky it was to get a CS on a GOOD resto shaman. For one, getting CS'ed doesn't mean an instant loss. If it did, that just meant you waited too long to start healing. Secondly, it's not easy to get one off on a shaman that knows how to play. I actually talked about this scenario in detail in my previous post if you bothered to read it.

I didn't do arena past season 2 because I got fed up with it.

So was everything you said up to this moment pure theorycrafting and a mimic of class forum QQ or what? Is this really where your adamant disgust toward arena PvP came from? Well, that was a good waste of discussion material. Oh well. Even though its all outdated experiences, if someone reads this, hopefully itll give detailed insight of some sort.

I get a strong sensation many of the arguments in here come from so called pvpers who cant see past their own mental blockade of thinking they know everything about pvp and how to play their class.

^^^ never played a mage.

Not to level cap, no, but I've fooled around with several alts.

How a class that can blink out of stuns, root melee classes in place, blink away from danger, counterspell, snare, CC, ice block, cast instant-cast spells, build up shatter combos for good damage, make themselves free mana potions, etc. can whine about the complaints being made here in this thread?

Ok for offensive mobility, we got ice lance, fire blast and...? Frost nova and cone of cold, which can easily put us in the range of melee? So I got 1 spammable spell that does shit for damage unless I can get my target frozen. It usually breaks in 1 hit, and does well under 2k crit against a PvP target. Then we got 2 other instants that are on an 8 second CD, have a terrible mana/damage ratio, and often do less damage than a frozen ice lance (since frozen ice lances inherently have a high chance to crit). And we got a snare that does shitty damage and a 24-sec CD. The sad thing is, it's required to make our ice lance any useful. Do you honestly think a frost mage's offensive mobility was worth any discussion? But wait, we got arcane explosion as another instant cast spammable spell too! I guess that's just too much for anyone to take in.

If you can't even set up a proper shatter combo with frost nova+blink or your water elemental, then this discussion is pointless. And frost nova isn't a snare; it's a root. Blink and frost nova work just fine, otherwise rogues and warriors wouldn't be easy mage kills (less so rogues with Cloak of Shadows but still true, a good mage should still be able to kite most rogues)

Uh.. no. I'll lose a quarter of my mana scratching the surface of anyone's health before it gets healed up by a single spell. I'd love to see you play a mage and try to succeed with ice lance spams lol. And here you insulted me when I mentioned the issue of mana management in my previous post.

Actually, I was bringing up ice lance against shamans because ice lance essentially renders a grounding totem all but useless against them. Ice lance is cheap and spammable, so use it to get rid of the pesky GT which is now on a cooldown so that you can counterspell/polymorph/etc.

Right now right now? Or right now as in lvl 80 pvp where it matters?

Have you ever heard of PvP servers? Right now still counts too.

Once you've specced a PvP build to get PvP gear, there was absolutely no point in speccing anything else. Why spec frost to struggle getting gear, then respec fire/arcane to get facerolled with it? Think about it from a realistic perspecive. Anyway, I saw resto shamans plenty of times even during S3, they were far, far more common than any mage I've seen. I guess mages had it even worse than that :p.

Frost mages weren't struggling outside of the pointless 2vs2 bracket. And again the two situations aren't the same, since frost mages would still be using the same pvp gear if they specced fire or arcane. Shamans need to have an entire separate set per spec (somewhat mitigated now that they've consolidated +dmg/+healing gear though)

Is this as specific as you can get? Try re-reading my post about how tricky it was to get a CS on a GOOD resto shaman. For one, getting CS'ed doesn't mean an instant loss. If it did, that just meant you waited too long to start healing. Secondly, it's not easy to get one off on a shaman that knows how to play. I actually talked about this scenario in detail in my previous post if you bothered to read it.

How is it tricky to CS a resto shaman? During the arena period I've been talking about where mages were supposedly gimp, shamans did not have an instant cast heal. They didn't have riptide yet. They ONLY HAVE one spell school and CS locks it out for what's essentially an eternity in pvp. The silence should be more than enough to kill your target. Oh wait, you're still hung up on the worthless 2vs2 bracket?

Bottom line is that mage whining rings utterly hollow when talking about things like lack of mobility and lack of survivability in pvp. Mage issues don't even begin to compare to non-resto shaman concerns, and non-resto shamans have been gimp since before patch 2.0 hit.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because it was endless mage QQing that fucked up the shaman review and started shamans into the downward spiral they've been in for the last couple of years in the first place...

I think that unless one has pvp'ed as multiple classes, one cannot adequately assess whether or not a class/spec is gimped, overpowered, etc.

Mages have long ceased to be overpowered, but one has to be incredibly myopic to think that they are in any way gimped. Yeah, not as good as some of the other classes, but much better than others, and with a clear role in a number of set ups where they can be very effective.

Same can be said of an elemental shaman. I sucked in 2v2 and 3v3, but in a 2345 arena set up in 5v5 I was really effective, first at disrupting the other team, then finishing off the first target with the NS+EM+CL

As a matter of fact, Ive experienced both the highest of highs (shamans pre-bc, warlock post bc) and the lowest of lows (enhancement shaman for seasons 1 and 2. only went elemental in 3).

And I can say this: class balance is horribly broken in wow. Pre-bc shamans were ridiculously overpowered. You could easily kills someone in under 6 seconds (the shock cooldown). A large part of it was that alliance did not know enough about shamans, and so most did not have stuff like a grounding totem macro, but still.

With tBC, crowd control became the name of the game, and shamans did not have it, nor any real anti CC. As burst was still good, elementals did ok in 5v5 arenas. Enhancement were absolutely the worst of the worst, but resto would be actually quite ok, if it wasnt for how other healer classes were ridiculously overpowered.

Warlocks post tBC were absolutely overpowered. Man, what a difference it was from my then enhance shaman... your partner could die in a 2v2 match and you'd still feel confident you could win it 1v2.

I guess my point is, too many people complain about being underpowered without being so because they only play the one class, but the classes that are truly overpowered or underpowered really affect the game. Mages are ok (heck, remember the success of PMR), elemental shaman are ok 5v5 (sucking at 3v3 and 2v2). But you really notice class balance once you really move into overpowered/underpowered territory. Playing as a shaman pre bc, warlock post bc and resto druid the last days of bc, I set the tone of pvp. I would initiate things, I didnt need to pay too much attention to the opponent: he'd better have a counter for me, not the other way around. As a shaman post BC, however, I found myself in a truly reactionary mode, always looking at the opponents cast bar and being mindful of their cooldowns to know precisely when to drop grounding totem, earth shock, or drop tremor totem so that they would be effective and not needlessly destroyed. As an enhancement shaman I really had to brush up on other classes abilities and cooldowns just to keep up.

Not to level cap, no, but I've fooled around with several alts.

Here it is plan and simple (I'm not bothering to read the other walls o' text). If you've never played a mage to a level cap, 60, 70, 80, and pvp'd you don't know what you're talking about and thus have no place commenting on things you don't understand.

A level 25 alt does not count, sorry, try again.

I think that unless one has pvp'ed as multiple classes, one cannot adequately assess whether or not a class/spec is gimped, overpowered, etc.

Mages have long ceased to be overpowered, but one has to be incredibly myopic to think that they are in any way gimped. Yeah, not as good as some of the other classes, but much better than others, and with a clear role in a number of set ups where they can be very effective.

Same can be said of an elemental shaman. I sucked in 2v2 and 3v3, but in a 2345 arena set up in 5v5 I was really effective, first at disrupting the other team, then finishing off the first target with the NS+EM+CL

As a matter of fact, Ive experienced both the highest of highs (shamans pre-bc, warlock post bc) and the lowest of lows (enhancement shaman for seasons 1 and 2. only went elemental in 3).

And I can say this: class balance is horribly broken in wow. Pre-bc shamans were ridiculously overpowered. You could easily kills someone in under 6 seconds (the shock cooldown). A large part of it was that alliance did not know enough about shamans, and so most did not have stuff like a grounding totem macro, but still.

With tBC, crowd control became the name of the game, and shamans did not have it, nor any real anti CC. As burst was still good, elementals did ok in 5v5 arenas. Enhancement were absolutely the worst of the worst, but resto would be actually quite ok, if it wasnt for how other healer classes were ridiculously overpowered.

Warlocks post tBC were absolutely overpowered. Man, what a difference it was from my then enhance shaman... your partner could die in a 2v2 match and you'd still feel confident you could win it 1v2.

I guess my point is, too many people complain about being underpowered without being so because they only play the one class, but the classes that are truly overpowered or underpowered really affect the game. Mages are ok (heck, remember the success of PMR), elemental shaman are ok 5v5 (sucking at 3v3 and 2v2). But you really notice class balance once you really move into overpowered/underpowered territory. Playing as a shaman pre bc, warlock post bc and resto druid the last days of bc, I set the tone of pvp. I would initiate things, I didnt need to pay too much attention to the opponent: he'd better have a counter for me, not the other way around. As a shaman post BC, however, I found myself in a truly reactionary mode, always looking at the opponents cast bar and being mindful of their cooldowns to know precisely when to drop grounding totem, earth shock, or drop tremor totem so that they would be effective and not needlessly destroyed. As an enhancement shaman I really had to brush up on other classes abilities and cooldowns just to keep up.

I think elemental was doing well in the first few seasons but it's still too easy to utterly and completely render them useless. They're still way too vulnerable to school lockouts, and I don't think that Lava Burst really fixes that (though it's definitely a nice spell.) And elemental wasn't really doing the damage it should be doing later into the expansion pack with lightning bolt coefficient nerfs and retarded devs theorycrafting that the dps was too high when elemental shamans were really falling behind.

Warlocks, yeah, warlocks were OP at first anyway. But they were nerfed HARD. Fear rendered all but useless, soul link repeatedly nerfed, drain life supporting talents in affliction nerfed, and most importantly, the biggest blow to SL/SL is that people started going after the pet. Without the pet, the demo warlock is screwed, and the pet is pretty easy to kill, especially now that the felhunter doesn't have insane magic resistance. Frankly, I hated SL/SL. Always have. I have always preferred the micromanagement and control playstyle of affliction but affliction just doesn't have the survivability to hang in the fight long enough to outlast while the DoTs do their dispellable, predictable work.

Here it is plan and simple (I'm not bothering to read the other walls o' text). If you've never played a mage to a level cap, 60, 70, 80, and pvp'd you don't know what you're talking about and thus have no place commenting on things you don't understand.

A level 25 alt does not count, sorry, try again.

Fine, then the devs should give warlocks an equivalent warlock spell for ice block and/or blink. Since you clearly can't handle having the extra abilities to get you out of trouble, let's give it to a class that could actually use it.

So I got a chance to play last night for several hours. I haven't played since pre-TBC, and I really wasn't much of a raider, I think the biggest one I did was a 20 man. I was playing with a friend on Windrunner server. I had fun, but it was kind of an underwhelming experience. It might be because I didn't have any attachment to the toon I was playing, or maybe its because I had the nostalgia goggles on. We did some 5man instance in Northrend, it was in a logging camp or something. I have to say despite the fact that I had no idea what I was doing, the instance was cake. Maybe I like it when there was a much better chance of a wipe. Who knows.

Fine, then the devs should give warlocks an equivalent warlock spell for ice block and/or blink. Since you clearly can't handle having the extra abilities to get you out of trouble, let's give it to a class that could actually use it.

I'm not arguing and turning this into a "which class sucks more" thread.

I don't play anymore, and haven't for probably almost a year now so I don't know the current status of your QQ. And frankly couldn't give a shit.

Locks do have something like IB = Sack the VW. Insta-shield
Blink = one of the 50 billion fears they have

Even the implication that locks are underpowerd is a fucking joke. Even with Ice block and blink that won't do shit if the enemy that is attacking you can and usually does basically wtfpwn you in 3 - 4 shots. If you get beat by a mage and your a lock, unless they get the drop on you a lock should own the fuck out of a mage.

aka if are qq'ing about a mage beating "your" lock, l2play your class or reroll on a pve server.

Iceblock works great ONCE then you have the hypothermia debuff so you can't use it for a certain amount of time after casting it. Blink is great, but any decent lock pvp'ing has a felguard which charges in and smacks you again. Meanwhile Blink and IB are now on CD so your fucked.

Locks are STILL one of the most overpowered classes in the game, up there with druids. Mages USED to be OP, pre-bc. Now? No where near as much.

Try to play a mage to 70, you'll QUICKLY discover that most classes find us EASY pickings until you get much higher in level and have the gear to support a kick ass arcane build. Messing around on alts doesn't do shit and therefore you have no arguement about mages being able to do w/e.

My main is a mage ergo I have plenty of experience playing one, and getting my ass beat by every class in the game at different times.

Having played a mage and am currently working towards 80, we are basically squishy bait for locks, rogues and huntards. Anyone even implying locks are underpowerd is a fucking joke. Even with Ice block and blink that won't do shit if the enemy that is attacking you can and usually does basically wtfpwn you in 3 - 4 shots.

Locks : Fear, Deathcoil, Fear, dmg spell, fear, dmg spell, fear, dead

You're doing it wrong if you're losing to locks ESPECIALLY now. First of all, fear #4 would never even land because diminishing returns = you immune to fear after the third one. Fear #3 is so short that it's only useful as an interrupt. You can decurse. You can wipe ALL DoTs instantly with ice block. They no longer have high magic resistance from their felhunter.

Just go spec arcane and two-shot them if you hate them that much.

Oh and http://thottbot.com/s43023

Bottom line: warlocks used to be an anti-class for a mage, but even so, a well-played mage could still win. You want an unfair matchup? Try warlock vs rogue.

A frost mage should be able to handle rogues pretty well.

And no, locks are not overpowered. They've been pretty strongly nerfed over the last year. Affliction is a joke in PvP right now, SL/SL is nerfed, demo is easy pickings once you kill the pet (and metamorphosis is lolstupid), and destro is just an attempt at being a fire mage with none of the mage's more useful abilities. Fear is almost completely useless as a defense.

I'd be willing to bet that mages will once again this season be one of the most played classes in high end arena. If they are, that makes pretty much 90% of what you said irrelevant.

You're doing it wrong if you're losing to locks ESPECIALLY now. First of all, fear #4 would never even land because diminishing returns = you immune to fear after the third one. Fear #3 is so short that it's only useful as an interrupt. You can decurse. You can wipe ALL DoTs instantly with ice block. They no longer have high magic resistance from their felhunter.

Just go spec arcane and two-shot them if you hate them that much.

Oh and http://thottbot.com/s43023

Bottom line: warlocks used to be an anti-class for a mage, but even so, a well-played mage could still win. You want an unfair matchup? Try warlock vs rogue.

A frost mage should be able to handle rogues pretty well.

Except you missed the most important thing I said. IB once used has a CD. A smart lock reapplies the dots again and your fucked. It's stop gap at best, if you don't get lucky shots off as frost or as arcane your toast.

The comment of "a well played mage COULD still win" is true. With emphasis on could, everyone gets lucky from time to time I guess.

Rogues vs any caster class and your dead. Frost or not, it doesn't matter.Once your stunlocked your fucked and thats it. If your able to get IB off, the rogue vanishes, and as soon as IB wears off your toast.

Don't know why I am arguing, I don't do arena and very rarely do BG's. Just world pvp as it happens, and most of the time I'm in PVE gear anyway not PVP stuff.

Response to the edit:

Wait what?

Voidwalker in PVP? VW sac shield equivalent to Ice Block?

Uh, no, and no.

Yes, as a SL/SL warlock when I did mess around with arena, I would summon, sac, summon again, be ready to sac again and use fel domination for a pet that's actually useful, but as far as actually fighting with a voidwalker out? That's just dumb.

Except you missed the most important thing I said. IB once used has a CD. A smart lock reapplies the dots again and your fucked. It's stop gap at best, if you don't get lucky shots off as frost or as arcane your toast.

The comment of "a well played mage COULD still win" is true. With emphasis on could, everyone gets lucky from time to time I guess.

Rogues vs any caster class and your dead. Frost or not, it doesn't matter.Once your stunlocked your fucked and thats it. If your able to get IB off, the rogue vanishes, and as soon as IB wears off your toast.

So what, do you think ice block should be a spammable spell? Of course it has a damn cooldown, it gives you complete immunity. In group PvP if you're being assist trained it FORCES the other team to break that train. You act like DoTs kill you instantly, but the reality is, they're dispellable and the damage they do is predictable and steady.

I wash my hands of this like Dallows.

There is no point in trying to reach a middle ground, no matter what I say, your right and I'm wrong.

So to sum it up, Locks are underpowered and every other class owns them. I'll make sure I tell my guildmates that, they'll get a kick out of it.

/welcome to the list

I wash my hands of this like Dallows.

There is no point in trying to reach a middle ground, no matter what I say, your right and I'm wrong.

So to sum it up, Locks are underpowered and every other class owns them. I'll make sure I tell my guildmates that, they'll get a kick out of it.

/welcome to the list

Make sure you tell your rogue, warrior, hunter, ret paladin, death knight, moonkin druid, and arcane mage guildmates, because I'm sure they WILL get a kick out of it. Just not from the reasons you think.

So what does everyone else other then Mr underpowered lock think about the expac?

So what does everyone else other then Mr underpowered lock think about the expac?

There is a lot of similar stuff (only so many quest mechanics are possible) like the Penny Arcade lampooned. But I'm having a blast on some of the new 5 man dungeon bosses. The last boss of Drak'Theron Keep is a hoot, as is the entire Occulus instance.

I'm enjoying the new talents, exploring new areas, and not even that sad about replacing my 2pc T6.

My GF is enjoying the new areas and her Deathknight, that's all I've heard. Game is more easymode and more PVP based.

A buddy wants me to come back and I said "No thanks, I don't want to play World of Arena."

"No thanks, I don't want to play World of Arena."

I always find these kind of comments funny. I've been playing since WoW classic was in closed beta. I have never once in the entire time I've been playing WoW set foot in an arena. I've done BG's, led/tanked 40 man raids, 5/10 man instances etc and never been in an arena. how is this "world of arena"?

I always find these kind of comments funny. I've been playing since WoW classic was in closed beta. I have never once in the entire time I've been playing WoW set foot in an arena. I've done BG's, led/tanked 40 man raids, 5/10 man instances etc and never been in an arena. how is this "world of arena"?

Same here, I had the same question. If you choose to arena go ahead I'd rather do PVE content

Thus far gear wise I have only replaced 1 piece but being sick this last week and not feeling like doing anything I haven't played but about 6 hours. I am at 72 1/2 though.

Also made 900g from quests, quest reward greens and cobalt ore stacks on the AH :p Not bad for about 6 hours I don't think.

/locks are underpowered

^^^ +1 I've been playing WoW since original launch, and I never play PvP or any arena's. I play with my guild, we do dungeon's and runs quests.

I like the PVE content sometimes, but I also like battlegrounds. And Strand of the Ancients rocks my socks right now.

I'm just glad that so far I'm up to level 77 and haven't done a set of quests like Nagrand's "Kill 30 of x, 3 times)" quests.

Oh, and from a rogue's perspective, both mages and warlocks are squishy.

I want to see Arena's taken out of the game entirely along with battlegrounds. If you want to PvP roll on a PvP server. Implement a system where the main front takes place on a certain land every month and people have to go all around azeroth and outlands to get the goods needed to implement warfare equipment.

Kind of like Alterac Valley but on a world scale, the mini bosses could be in small towns and victory bosses in Major faction cities. First side to complete objectives wins, PvP Gear is handed out through helping the effort and major gear for downing bosses.

This would promote world pvp because the game is called world of warcraft after all. Arena's are a joke, this game supposed to be about epic warfare on grand scales not zomg my 2 Ret palies team in full S4 totally owned you (in a 1500 bracket) I got into the 2000's in S2 and quit just to come back and say wtf.

This. BG totally killed world PVP when it was alive and well on the PVP servers I was on. Now all world pvp consists of is ganking people while they're questing or AFK. The arena/bg system is stupid and a good portion of the reason I stopped playing. What little they did to revive world pvp was too little too late.

World PVP was alive and well before this, now its' just dead and lifeless, and my desire to PVP on a large scale died with it.

My own conspiracy theory (put on your tinfoil hats):
Blizzard used battlegrounds to cleverly disguise their true intentions of getting rid of Southshore vs Tauren Mills type skirmishes due to server crashes/reduce the lag.

This mage pvp discussion is killing me. Although I am by no means a mage pvp expert, I do like to keep up with what some of the better players have to say about mages and how they fare against other classes. However, I will say that since all I do is pvp and my main is a mage, I do understand EXACTLY what they're saying.

I have skimmed through the last few pages, in particular the discussion between Yoshiyuki Blade and Daggah, and I thought I'd inject some of my own thoughts and echo some of the thoughts of some of the better mages in the US PVP community. Some of these may have already been pointed out or discussed, but I thought I needed to put in my own word here.

1. Mages are the only class (I believe this is the case today) that have a HARD limit.
2. Mages have far too inadequate sources of MOBILE burst.
3. Mage mana regen is pitiful, despite what other people may claim.
4. Mages don't scale well (This isn't a mage exclusive problem.)

Let me elaborate:

1. Mages are the only class (I believe this is the case today) that have a HARD limit.

This point ties in directly with point #3. Mages are currently the ONLY class in the game where you live and die by the clock. Your clock being your mana pool. Mages are desired because of their high amounts of control and reliable burst damage. The way mages play today are almost completely condensed down to this strategy: Crazy burst on your opponent and hope they die. If you don't kill them within the first X number of minutes, you lose your mana and the game is lost. And I'd like to make it clear here that X is NOT a very big number. X is usually like 2 or 3 at the most. This sort of hard limit completely changes the way mages synergize with other classes. Any mage/healer team is virtually impossible to do because of this hard time limit.

Now, some may say, "Well, too bad. That's your problem, mana isn't supposed to be infinite. So what are you complaining about?". Well, the problem isn't that we don't have infinite mana (no class should have easy access to infinite mana, but I also believe no class should have infinite rage/energy either :rolleyes:), but rather the fact that there is no effective way to recover it. The next point people will make is: "Well, you're a mage, you have evocate and mana gems to cover for it". Sorry, but the reality is that they do NOT cover for it. If you EVER get to use a full evocate in an arena, the other team must have been sleeping. I have yet to encounter a game where I could fully utilize my evocate to recover my mana. Evocate is just such a gimmicky way to recover mana in relation to other classes who have much more effective and gameplay oriented forms of recovery.

For example, warlocks can potentially have infinite mana as long as they have health for lifetap. As a warlock, you have to consciously make the choice between trading off some health for mana and as such, you're also consciously making the choice to stop doing damage for that global cooldown. But in the end, the choice that you make is something that always has a benefit; return of mana. As a mage, you don't make the choice of having to give up health, but what you do give up time doing damage. "What's the difference?" you may ask?. For a warlock, the issue of lifetapping is, in most cases, completely trivial. You're running out of mana, you have health, lifetap. You used one global cooldown, lost some health, but gained some mana. For the mage, you have to sit there and channel a spell for 8 seconds (for maximum benefit) that happens to have a 5 minute cooldown. I should also mention that since it's channeled, you can get interrupted which could potentially net you ZERO mana even though you used the spell and now you're shit out of luck for 5 minutes and if you get locked out it's even worse since now you can't do anything in arcane for the next several seconds.

I haven't kept up with some other classes, but from what I understand, hunters now have an ability which lets them recover mana at the cost of damage. This is what mages really need. They need a more effective way to recover mana. There needs to be a gameplay rooted recovery system where if you CHOOSE to use the ability, you ALWAYS recover some mana, but it costs you something else to do it. At this point in time, mages must completely sacrifice doing damage to use a 5 minute cooldown ability which can be interrupted (and thus potentially locking out a school) AND give you nothing even if you used it.

Oh, and mana gems are BS. They only delay the time it takes for the mage to hit the inevitable brick wall.

Some of the suggested changes/improvements to evocate suggested on the beta forums a few weeks back was to either reduce the cooldown on evocate significantly (one suggested cooldown was 1 minute) while significantly reducing channeled length and reducing mana recovered. Another suggestion was to copy the paladin's Divine Plea and just make evocate a buff instead of channeled.

A great example of this hard limit rearing its ugly head was in the last few arena tournaments that have been held. In all of these events, RMP (Rogue/Mage/Priest) was run by one team or another. One of the big questions people had about the teams running RMP was whether or not they could beat WLD (Warrior/Lock/Druid) effectively. I personally think the results speak for themselves. WLD just dominates RMP if you can stay alive through the initial burst (which is not much of a feat considering the makeup). Once that's done, RMP virtually has no chance. The way RMP plays is just so ineffective when the games go on longer than a few minutes, and it is only because of the fact that the mage will never be able to recover mana.

Now, on to point #2:

Now that everyone knows how devastating mages can be if left alone, virtually every arena game where a mage is involved has the following strategy: TRAIN THE MAGE! It's just ridiculous how bad it is. Every mage should go into an arena game and EXPECT to be trained and spend the entire game running around using expensive, nonscaling instant casts. Some people will say we have the most instant cast spells in the game, blah blah blah. Honestly, having more != better. All of our instant cast spells are EXPENSIVE, are on long cooldowns, and to top it off, they have terrible scaling with spell damage (which is very much related to my point #4). Virtually all of the mage talents (frost in particular) are based on the assumption that we can cast frostbolts. It may (or may not be) shocking to some of you out there, but I seldom cast frostbolts in arenas simply because of how hard I get trained in arena games, and oftentimes when I do get a chance to use one, some other issue can prevent me (ie - LOS).

And ice lance does not count as a viable instant cast spell. The only time you use ice lance is either to keep someone in combat or to follow up a frostbolt for the shatter combo. Very rarely are you going to use ice lance to do damage. So for all of you out there saying ice lance is a viable instant cast spell, in most cases, it's not, so stop acting like we have such an insane spell called ice lance.

Also, the expensive nature of these instant casts do nothing to help the situation which I bring up in point #1.

On to point #3:

I pretty much explained this in point #1 so I'm not going to re-explain it here. But it's such a huge problem with the mage class that I basically have to point it out twice. I would also like to mention that this isn't a PVP exclusive issue. It's just as big of an issue in PVE where our only real way to recover mana FORCES us to completely stop doing damage.

Point #4:

Mages (and most other spell damage based classes) simply don't scale. There are two parts to this problem in respect to the mage. First part is that in general, the scaling of spell damage is just pitiful compared to the scaling of melee. Mage damage in S1 was virtually the same as mage damage in S4. Warrior/Rogue damage, however, just kept skyrocketing.

Second part, is tied in with point #2. If mages were to make the most of spell damage scaling today, we'd only be casting frostbolts and nothing else. But this simply isn't feasible. Every team and their mothers know that if a mage is in the game, you train them. When you're getting trained like this, you simply can't afford to cast a frostbolt, so you do the next best thing: Fireblast and cone of cold. The thing is, these "next best thing"s are absolutely terrible in terms of mana efficiency and damage scaling. We lose our mana FASTER now and we also use spells that don't utilize our spell damage very well. In other words, we run ourselves out of mana faster, we do less damage, and we get less bang for the buck with the spell damage we have from gear. I can tell you already that if melee scales the way it did in Burning Crusade, mages will do well in S5 and S6, but once the later seasons come around, melee will start doing outrageous damage again and mages will start dying much quicker to melee.

Conclusion

As you can see, this is a multifaceted problem and each problem directly or indirectly leads to or adds to another (ie - Strategy vs mages force mages to use expensive instant casts which aren't mana efficient and don't scale well which doesn't at all help with the mage mana problem nor the mage mobile burst problem. Also completely ruins mage spell damage scalability). To top it off, many of these problems aren't easily identifiable because abilities/talents look good on paper, but if you're looking at PVP, looking good on paper just doesn't mean shit. If the environment of the game doesn't let you utilize the talents in the first place, then you've got a problem where you're using talent points but not getting any benefit out of them. This is illustrated greatly by the fact that mages just get trained every single game now and casting a frostbolt just isn't feasible in many games so all those frostbolt enhancing talents don't get used very much. Yet, in PVE, you can frostbolt to your heart's content. Blizzard isn't going to sacrifice the entire PVE game for the PVP game (although some would disagree).

This wasn't a very well thought out post or anything since I basically wrote this up in one of my classes, but I wanted to at least get some of these points out there. I'd also like to mention that while mages do have some of these glaring problems, that isn't to say that they're broken. I'd have to say that mages are one of the most capable classes in the game and one of the best pvp classes (if not THE best) if played by the right player. I don't have any doubt that if played correctly, mages can 1v1 every single class in the game and win every time. But there are just way too many factors with the mage class that forces a player to close off potential strategies simply because class design is so prohibitive to many of them (ie - pairing with a healer to get a control/outlast kind of strategy with the mage just isn't feasible)

Well written. It's pretty much everything I've said so far but with a lot more detail and organization. I haven't covered anything about scaling issues though. It seems that everything I experienced in 2v2 is consistent to the general thoughts of mages today (or rather, TBC arenas). I don't touch the mage forums with a 10-foot pole except the beta forums, and 90% of the QQ there was about mage DPS in PvE.

This mage pvp discussion is killing me. Although I am by no means a mage pvp expert, I do like to keep up with what some of the better players have to say about mages and how they fare against other classes. However, I will say that since all I do is pvp and my main is a mage, I do understand EXACTLY what they're saying.

I have skimmed through the last few pages, in particular the discussion between Yoshiyuki Blade and Daggah, and I thought I'd inject some of my own thoughts and echo some of the thoughts of some of the better mages in the US PVP community. Some of these may have already been pointed out or discussed, but I thought I needed to put in my own word here.

Let me elaborate:

This point ties in directly with point #3. Mages are currently the ONLY class in the game where you live and die by the clock. Your clock being your mana pool. Mages are desired because of their high amounts of control and reliable burst damage. The way mages play today are almost completely condensed down to this strategy: Crazy burst on your opponent and hope they die. If you don't kill them within the first X number of minutes, you lose your mana and the game is lost. And I'd like to make it clear here that X is NOT a very big number. X is usually like 2 or 3 at the most. This sort of hard limit completely changes the way mages synergize with other classes. Any mage/healer team is virtually impossible to do because of this hard time limit.

Now, some may say, "Well, too bad. That's your problem, mana isn't supposed to be infinite. So what are you complaining about?". Well, the problem isn't that we don't have infinite mana (no class should have easy access to infinite mana, but I also believe no class should have infinite rage/energy either :rolleyes:), but rather the fact that there is no effective way to recover it. The next point people will make is: "Well, you're a mage, you have evocate and mana gems to cover for it". Sorry, but the reality is that they do NOT cover for it. If you EVER get to use a full evocate in an arena, the other team must have been sleeping. I have yet to encounter a game where I could fully utilize my evocate to recover my mana. Evocate is just such a gimmicky way to recover mana in relation to other classes who have much more effective and gameplay oriented forms of recovery.

For example, warlocks can potentially have infinite mana as long as they have health for lifetap. As a warlock, you have to consciously make the choice between trading off some health for mana and as such, you're also consciously making the choice to stop doing damage for that global cooldown. But in the end, the choice that you make is something that always has a benefit; return of mana. As a mage, you don't make the choice of having to give up health, but what you do give up time doing damage. "What's the difference?" you may ask?. For a warlock, the issue of lifetapping is, in most cases, completely trivial. You're running out of mana, you have health, lifetap. You used one global cooldown, lost some health, but gained some mana. For the mage, you have to sit there and channel a spell for 8 seconds (for maximum benefit) that happens to have a 5 minute cooldown. I should also mention that since it's channeled, you can get interrupted which could potentially net you ZERO mana even though you used the spell and now you're shit out of luck for 5 minutes and if you get locked out it's even worse since now you can't do anything in arcane for the next several seconds.

I haven't kept up with some other classes, but from what I understand, hunters now have an ability which lets them recover mana at the cost of damage. This is what mages really need. They need a more effective way to recover mana. There needs to be a gameplay rooted recovery system where if you CHOOSE to use the ability, you ALWAYS recover some mana, but it costs you something else to do it. At this point in time, mages must completely sacrifice doing damage to use a 5 minute cooldown ability which can be interrupted (and thus potentially locking out a school) AND give you nothing even if you used it.

Oh, and mana gems are BS. They only delay the time it takes for the mage to hit the inevitable brick wall.

Some of the suggested changes/improvements to evocate suggested on the beta forums a few weeks back was to either reduce the cooldown on evocate significantly (one suggested cooldown was 1 minute) while significantly reducing channeled length and reducing mana recovered. Another suggestion was to copy the paladin's Divine Plea and just make evocate a buff instead of channeled.

A great example of this hard limit rearing its ugly head was in the last few arena tournaments that have been held. In all of these events, RMP (Rogue/Mage/Priest) was run by one team or another. One of the big questions people had about the teams running RMP was whether or not they could beat WLD (Warrior/Lock/Druid) effectively. I personally think the results speak for themselves. WLD just dominates RMP if you can stay alive through the initial burst (which is not much of a feat considering the makeup). Once that's done, RMP virtually has no chance. The way RMP plays is just so ineffective when the games go on longer than a few minutes, and it is only because of the fact that the mage will never be able to recover mana.

Now, on to point #2:

Now that everyone knows how devastating mages can be if left alone, virtually every arena game where a mage is involved has the following strategy: TRAIN THE MAGE! It's just ridiculous how bad it is. Every mage should go into an arena game and EXPECT to be trained and spend the entire game running around using expensive, nonscaling instant casts. Some people will say we have the most instant cast spells in the game, blah blah blah. Honestly, having more != better. All of our instant cast spells are EXPENSIVE, are on long cooldowns, and to top it off, they have terrible scaling with spell damage (which is very much related to my point #4). Virtually all of the mage talents (frost in particular) are based on the assumption that we can cast frostbolts. It may (or may not be) shocking to some of you out there, but I seldom cast frostbolts in arenas simply because of how hard I get trained in arena games, and oftentimes when I do get a chance to use one, some other issue can prevent me (ie - LOS).

And ice lance does not count as a viable instant cast spell. The only time you use ice lance is either to keep someone in combat or to follow up a frostbolt for the shatter combo. Very rarely are you going to use ice lance to do damage. So for all of you out there saying ice lance is a viable instant cast spell, in most cases, it's not, so stop acting like we have such an insane spell called ice lance.

Also, the expensive nature of these instant casts do nothing to help the situation which I bring up in point #1.

On to point #3:

I pretty much explained this in point #1 so I'm not going to re-explain it here. But it's such a huge problem with the mage class that I basically have to point it out twice. I would also like to mention that this isn't a PVP exclusive issue. It's just as big of an issue in PVE where our only real way to recover mana FORCES us to completely stop doing damage.

Point #4:

Mages (and most other spell damage based classes) simply don't scale. There are two parts to this problem in respect to the mage. First part is that in general, the scaling of spell damage is just pitiful compared to the scaling of melee. Mage damage in S1 was virtually the same as mage damage in S4. Warrior/Rogue damage, however, just kept skyrocketing.

Second part, is tied in with point #2. If mages were to make the most of spell damage scaling today, we'd only be casting frostbolts and nothing else. But this simply isn't feasible. Every team and their mothers know that if a mage is in the game, you train them. When you're getting trained like this, you simply can't afford to cast a frostbolt, so you do the next best thing: Fireblast and cone of cold. The thing is, these "next best thing"s are absolutely terrible in terms of mana efficiency and damage scaling. We lose our mana FASTER now and we also use spells that don't utilize our spell damage very well. In other words, we run ourselves out of mana faster, we do less damage, and we get less bang for the buck with the spell damage we have from gear. I can tell you already that if melee scales the way it did in Burning Crusade, mages will do well in S1 and S2, but once the later seasons come around, melee will start doing outrageous damage again and mages will start dying much quicker to melee.

Conclusion

As you can see, this is a multifaceted problem and each problem directly or indirectly leads to or adds to another (ie - Strategy vs mages force mages to use expensive instant casts which aren't mana efficient and don't scale well which doesn't at all help with the mage mana problem nor the mage mobile burst problem. Also completely ruins mage spell damage scalability). To top it off, many of these problems aren't easily identifiable because abilities/talents look good on paper, but if you're looking at PVP, looking good on paper just doesn't mean shit. If the environment of the game doesn't let you utilize the talents in the first place, then you've got a problem where you're using talent points but not getting any benefit out of them. This is illustrated greatly by the fact that mages just get trained every single game now and casting a frostbolt just isn't feasible in many games so all those frostbolt enhancing talents don't get used very much. Yet, in PVE, you can frostbolt to your heart's content. Blizzard isn't going to sacrifice the entire PVE game for the PVP game (although some would disagree).

This wasn't a very well thought out post or anything since I basically wrote this up in one of my classes, but I wanted to at least get some of these points out there. I'd also like to mention that while mages do have some of these glaring problems, that isn't to say that they're broken. I'd have to say that mages are one of the most capable classes in the game and one of the best pvp classes (if not THE best) if played by the right player. I don't have any doubt that if played correctly, mages can 1v1 every single class in the game and win every time. But there are just way too many factors with the mage class that forces a player to close off potential strategies simply because class design is so prohibitive to many of them (ie - pairing with a healer to get a control/outlast kind of strategy with the mage just isn't feasible)

I played a shadowpriest in arena and I can tell you it's far far worse then a mage ever will be. You run OOM the fastest out of any class (if you aren't chain stunned). Psychic Scream was (and probably still is) dreadful. Silence has a 45 second CD and costs 3 talent points to get to.

Shadowpriests had no escapability in pvp, or next to none. Melee does scale to hard in this game I agree. However, to say that a mage has it bad shadowpriest was far far worse.

In PvE (I did up to Brutallus), my mana drained the fastest of any caster. I did the least amount of damage and 5k SW:D's tend to hurt really bad in some fights.

Back