Official Team Fortress 2 Thread

Why can't you just change it in the menu options? They added that in or does that not work the same?

It's the exact same. Options under Multiplayer, there's a little slider that goes between 75 and 90 for FOV.

In addition to nail grenades, I miss being able to tell people that to throw a grenade the command is "unbindall".

Hahahah those are good too.

Unbindall was great for TF1 though. The best was you could tell if it worked because that person would just sit in the respawn not able to type anything to anyone. Then they'd leave the server. A victory for asshattery if there ever was one.

can someone refresh my memory on what switch to use so that when the game launches the valve logo doesn't start up?

someone refresh my memory, TFC was instant spawn right?

Even in CTF maps like 2fort?

Yeah, but it also wasn't as fast a game, you didn't move as quickly and the map was actually a lot bigger, took a lot of time to get to the other side of the base, etc.

I guess I just am getting some good pubs, because the situation's you all are describing don't happen to me that often, but I did notice something really stupid the other day.

I noticed our team on 2Fort had a heavy, but no medic, so I think "Ok, I'll change to a medic, get a good offense going with this heavy" and even type in the team chat I'm switching to a medic to support the heavy.

So I meet up with the heavy, and what is he doing? He's at the sniper perch (the "battlements" area) with the snipers, shooting his minigun ACROSS THE MAP at the opposing snipers. I don't even think he was hitting anyone!!

So I think, ok, he's waiting for me to show up, to heal him... I can do that. So I start healing him, and he's STILL shooting the snipers! I even write in the chat "ok, I'm healing you, push forward" and he STILL KEEPS SHOOTING!!!

After about 2 minutes, I get pissed, and just heal a solider who is making a push. But I mean, cmon, sniping with a Heavy across the map? Seriously?

I think the greatest defense I ever had on a CP was when there was a heavy, and I was a medic healing him and we had another medic healing as well. The heavy goes down, there is still 2 or 3 guys left attacking, I had just hit my ubercharge as soon as the heavy went down, so I used it on the medic and the medic took out everyone with the nailgun / bonesaw, the other team never even saw it coming, they just assumed it was easy pickins without the heavy :D

The medic is like the butterfly: Nobody suspects the butterfly. Nice job the two of you though taking out a couple people with a nail gun and bonesaw, that's no easy feat.

I've been playing alot of custom maps. Don't get me wrong, i like 2fort, hydro and dustbowl, but I LOVE mach2 and floodzone. Rats is a decent one as well.

I played this one map and never got the name, but it was a CP map, with NO time limit. I swear the match lasted over an hour, but the teams were extremely balanced. It was tons of fun, my team ended up winning, but the worst part about it was the last CP. You could not go up this ram towards the other teams re-supply area which left you a wide open target for snipers. We ended up rushing with at least 10people, 2 ubers to win.

My favorite is people who have mics, but don't use the voice feature. AT ALL. I was on a server playing the second stage of dustbowl, where blue is basically at a huge disadvantage...there's a tiny little gate they have to rush through, and red has all the time in the world to set up L3 Sentries, have their demo men pepper the exit with stickies, have their pyros camp right next to the exit to set fire to anybody who might not be killed by the sentry or the demo men, and snipers at the far side to kill anybody the pyros might have missed. Basically, it's ridiculously difficult to get past as blue against a well-coordinated red team, but my team managed to do it. I was playing soldier and rushed like my life didn't mean anything, ended up dying pretty much every 20 seconds...but managed to kill 4 or 5 every time I did, so my score was something like 70 by the time we capped the first point, whereas the next closest person on the sever, on the red team, had like a 33. And then...my team camped. Instead of going all out and rushing the last cap before they had time to build sentries, my team had 4 engineers who built sentries around the point we had already capped, in case a red soldier came out to get some random kills. So, the red team had time to build 5 L3 Sentries at the second cap, and all of my team hung back around the first cap point, apparently trying to prevent the team from taking it back...even though it was locked.

I got on voice and asked them what the fuck they were doing, and pointed out that we were offense and not defense, and more people should go heavy / medic / soldier / pyro and rush. One guy, who hadn't used voice for the entire round until that point, used his mic to call me a "fucking crybaby" who should "shut the fuck up," and proceeded to say "WAAAAAHHHH" a lot of times. This guy had, like, 15 points. I had about 80, and a few less than double the second best player on the server. I was clearly upset over how much I sucked at the game.

Too many people play this game like Counter-Strike. All you have to do to win is have good teamwork, not be ub4r1337 wit t3h r0ck3t5. I mean, that helps, but when it comes down to it, one good soldier or sniper or pyro will not win against a good combination of classes on the other side (medic + heavy, medic + pyro, scout + scout, pyro + soldier, etc) who at least have a vague idea of what they're doing.

Agreed, I can't stand players that fail to communicate via chat or voip

Me: "What is the current location of thier intel?"

*cricket cricket*

Me: "What is the current location of thier intel?"

*cricket cricket*

"The enemy's intelligence has returned to their base"

There is an intel tracker at the bottom of the HUD for situations like that though - it's not entirely accurate, but it has helped me more than once.

I don't have a mic, so I don't use chat, but I almost always tell people what's up - that a sentry is in the flag room, that they are camped here, so people can think of a plan.

My favorite thing is when people use regular chat to set up a plan instead of team chat - one guy on the other team said "alright, I'm going to use a spy, going to sneak into the base to get the intel and disable the sentry". On another pub, one guy detailed everything he was doing in regular chat. "I'm setting up a sentry next to the entrance, going to build a teleporter soon".

Good job! Remember, U for team chat, Y to look like a doofus.

LOL. I once got yelled at for being an engineer on an attacking team. I told them to "Watch".

I proceeded to setup a teleporter at the spawn point that lead to a position very close to their capture point, with a dispenser and level 3 sentry. They couldn't get into that spot with all the sentry gun activity and teleporters coming in.

We won that map and I proudly strut my stuff.

Cept my points were pretty low :(. I mean, my teleporter had like 40 uses on that round not to mention a dozen kills by my sentry.

I always disable voice comm because I don't like hearing anyone else talk, as it's rarely helpful.

There is an intel tracker at the bottom of the HUD for situations like that though - it's not entirely accurate, but it has helped me more than once.

I don't have a mic, so I don't use chat, but I almost always tell people what's up - that a sentry is in the flag room, that they are camped here, so people can think of a plan.

My favorite thing is when people use regular chat to set up a plan instead of team chat - one guy on the other team said "alright, I'm going to use a spy, going to sneak into the base to get the intel and disable the sentry". On another pub, one guy detailed everything he was doing in regular chat. "I'm setting up a sentry next to the entrance, going to build a teleporter soon".

Good job! Remember, U for team chat, Y to look like a doofus.

Hah, that is pretty sad, as of now. I pretty much have a normal set of servers I often visit that are known for good players and teamwork. I tend to look up the team line up upon joining via tab. If I notice an excessive amount of snipers or engineers, I simply just switch to the other team or just leave.

My favorite is people who have mics, but don't use the voice feature. AT ALL.

I got on voice and asked them what the fuck they were doing, and pointed out that we were offense and not defense, and more people should go heavy / medic / soldier / pyro and rush. One guy, who hadn't used voice for the entire round until that point, used his mic to call me a "fucking crybaby" who should "shut the fuck up," and proceeded to say "WAAAAAHHHH" a lot of times.

Which is exactly why I don't.

Sure, there may be a rare server or two where a team actually has civil and stategic voice chat going on. But for the most part it's the cocky 15 year olds, who you just want to kick in the throat, that are the most vocal.

I save my mic for Ventrilo.

Which is exactly why I don't.

Sure, there may be a rare server or two where a team actually has civil and stategic voice chat going on. But for the most part it's the cocky 15 year olds, who you just want to kick in the throat, that are the most vocal.

I save my mic for Ventrilo.

Luckily I haven't run across that. I mean I've had some guys that sound older that bitch some because we were getting our asses handed to us, but thats to be expected.

People haven't learned to use all the resources available to you. Team chat is one of them. The "Where's the intel?" game is played over and over again on 2fort.

There's also the matter of the fact that you can see who killed who with what weapon. In the original TF they had the same thing but it was all text. "So and so rode player 2's rocket" would indicate that someone was killed by a soldier.

So it completely baffles me when people see backstab icons and then proceed to completely not spycheck people, or ignore the "pyro" on our team I'm chasing through our base wildly shotgunning who is heading towards our battlements or flag room.

Truly there are winners amongst the TF2 community.

Speaking of which I have taken to calling it "turtle fortress 2" due to, well, turtling.

can anyone recommend an nvidia driver for my 6800 ultra? currently using 163.69 on Vista home basic. i get random crashes and i can't figure out why.

I haven't run into too much asshattery so far. Sometimes just idiots, but nothing that really bugs me.

A few nights ago I had a fairly entertaining team. My friend was got ubered just after he ran out of ammo, on his way running back to a dispenser. The medic was screaming at him for not shooting and said it was such a waste, and my friend popped onto voice chat to say "I was. Out. Of. Ammo." The medic continued ranting, and two other people chipped in on voice chat to suggest the medic write about it on his blog instead.

I'm really inconsistent, though. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I suck at being an engineer and soldier. Watching a good engy do his thing is always a bit inspiring to see.

any body using WRT54G router while playing TF2? i asked this since my dlink broke im using a netgear router and when i search for servers it seems to crash my router causing internet connection to be lost. thank you

I searched the thread and Steam for this question and couldn't find it. How do I import my own spray logo? I go to the options > multiplayer tab and import and it says somthing like "...must be 256, 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 1."
I used Photographers Power Toys to resize the images to say 256x128 or 16x32, etc but they still wouldn't import. I tried different file types too. I haven't played CS and used custom logos since the pre-Steam years so I can't remember what I did back then either. Any help would be appreciated.

edit: Nevermind. Found a guide. Doing it now.

http://icrontic.com/forum/showpost.php?p=562934&postcount=24

any body using WRT54G router while playing TF2? i asked this since my dlink broke im using a netgear router and when i search for servers it seems to crash my router causing internet connection to be lost. thank you

Yeah, I have a wrt54g running dd-wrt, works marvelously with all steam games including tf2

My favorite is people who have mics, but don't use the voice feature. AT ALL. I was on a server playing the second stage of dustbowl, where blue is basically at a huge disadvantage...there's a tiny little gate they have to rush through, and red has all the time in the world to set up L3 Sentries, have their demo men pepper the exit with stickies, have their pyros camp right next to the exit to set fire to anybody who might not be killed by the sentry or the demo men, and snipers at the far side to kill anybody the pyros might have missed. Basically, it's ridiculously difficult to get past as blue against a well-coordinated red team, but my team managed to do it. I was playing soldier and rushed like my life didn't mean anything, ended up dying pretty much every 20 seconds...but managed to kill 4 or 5 every time I did, so my score was something like 70 by the time we capped the first point, whereas the next closest person on the sever, on the red team, had like a 33. And then...my team camped. Instead of going all out and rushing the last cap before they had time to build sentries, my team had 4 engineers who built sentries around the point we had already capped, in case a red soldier came out to get some random kills. So, the red team had time to build 5 L3 Sentries at the second cap, and all of my team hung back around the first cap point, apparently trying to prevent the team from taking it back...even though it was locked.

I got on voice and asked them what the fuck they were doing, and pointed out that we were offense and not defense, and more people should go heavy / medic / soldier / pyro and rush. One guy, who hadn't used voice for the entire round until that point, used his mic to call me a "fucking crybaby" who should "shut the fuck up," and proceeded to say "WAAAAAHHHH" a lot of times. This guy had, like, 15 points. I had about 80, and a few less than double the second best player on the server. I was clearly upset over how much I sucked at the game.

Too many people play this game like Counter-Strike. All you have to do to win is have good teamwork, not be ub4r1337 wit t3h r0ck3t5. I mean, that helps, but when it comes down to it, one good soldier or sniper or pyro will not win against a good combination of classes on the other side (medic + heavy, medic + pyro, scout + scout, pyro + soldier, etc) who at least have a vague idea of what they're doing.

Dear god man, QF-MFing-T

Thats what really anoys the crap out of me is the people who just wont push fowards, they camp back in order to stay alive when the whole point of the game is to push fowards and capture points.

I run out, frag a bunch of people, take down sentries which for some reason 98% of everyone seems incapable of doing, and generally kick arse, and typically finish with scores exceeding 100 points (for a medium/long map)

But this isn't hard, it's not rocket science, you don't need uber leet skills, you just need to move foward and take some risks. I see so many people storm a room or area, kill everyone there, and then just hang around like chavs in the town square...STOP DOING THAT, move your ass up to the CP and use the advantage you've just given yourself.

MOMENTUM people...start using it, even the critical hit system supports it, get some momentum going and DO NOT STOP. The reason my scores are so much higher is simply because I spend more time on the front line in battle.

Speaking of pushing; I was really excited on Well yesterday when it went to sudden death and our team actually pushed and capped the 4th CP. Then I realized we didn't win when that happened and we still had to cap the 5th CP but because the other team turtled we lost most of our team capping the 4th one.

They need to make it so it's like hydro, one cap in sudden death and you lose, that way teams will try to push (maybe).

Ugh.

most of the people who play are camping pussies. I have the best experiences with a few of my friends, if we rush in as a group of 3 or 4 people tend to follow us.

this thread makes me laugh. people are badmouthing "n00bs", then turning around and calling the medic's weapon a "nailgun". are you serious?

I really really miss beta, people didn't suck as bad... And if they were doing bad, they typically said "this is my first time playing, I just pre-ordered orange box" And it made more sense.

But jesus christ, I have yet to find a server with any ounce of teamwork. It's ridiculous.

I played engineer, and I had to repair 4 sentry guns because this team was incapable of doing it, then when my sentry got sapped the other engineers sat around masturbating... Wow.

I played engineer, and I had to repair 4 sentry guns because this team was incapable of doing it, then when my sentry got sapped the other engineers sat around masturbating... Wow.

You can do that in this game?! What's the button??? :p

i have to agree pubb'n is some times really bad, but i find if i start using the VC correctly i start bring my team out of their shells. I also play with a bunch of people over at gamerswithjobs.com they have their own private server and it fills up with a wait line every night. But if you get in its all worth it. Lots of team play everyone talking good times.

As far as turtling, most turtles are easy to take out, normally in sudden death i got sniper because i can take out people quickly and if you kill everyone you win.

Once on well they had 4 guns setup guarding the place, you could barely go through the garage dorr before dying. I took my time slowly advanced and picked off the engineers one by one as they stood behind their guns clanking away.

Yep, it's definitely hit or miss on public servers. I was playing the final map on dustbowl last night and our team captured the first point fairly quick. Afterwards though, they made zero progress on moving forward and just stayed defending the already locked first point miles away from the final cp. We literally had about 11 people on our team just standing around, and retreating anytime a soldier came our way. I decided to go spy, took the sewers and since their team was so offensive, the final cp was completely open. I tried to capture it, but it was bad timing and 5 guys and a heavy just walked out of their spawn. The second attempt I got better. Did the same thing, disguised as sniper and got to the final cp. One engineer was sitting there with a L3 sentry setup. I watched the stats page until they had no dead players, or players that just died. I learned my lesson the first time, this way I'd have 20 seconds clear to capture the cp. All I did was stand on the final cp, line up a pillar between me and the L3 sentry, and had no problem making the final capture. The other team was all over us back at our spawn and there was less then 30 seconds remaining, so it was a surprise to them.

That actually works great on the second dustbowl map too. When the engineers have a million sentries in that corner defending, instead of zapping them, just carefully uncloak/undisguise on their final cp just off the corner of the cp closest to their spawn. You can usually just avoid all the sentries seeing you and nearly capture the point before anyone realizes what's going on.

i would like to know if there is anyone here using a Netgear WGR614v6 router to play TF2 or any steam games. since when i refresh servers on steam browswer it seems to crash my router and i loost connection to my whole network. tried on two differnt machines that have steam. both crash my network

i would like to know if there is anyone here using a Netgear WGR614v6 router to play TF2 or any steam games. since when i refresh servers on steam browswer it seems to crash my router and i loost connection to my whole network. tried on two differnt machines that have steam. both crash my network
I used to run into that with my old Linksys router. It's definitely a problem with how the router handles the packets because - assuming it's the same issue - if you plug directly into the connection without the router, you don't get the error. That said, the only thing that fixed it for me was a firmware update for the router so you might look into that.

Back