Official Team Fortress 2 Thread

I'm willing to bet my 6800 ultra on my laptop can run this

I tried to play it on my laptop with Intel 650GMA intergrated graphics.... it starts... but runs at about 5 FPS :( But it's the same with CS:S. Too slow to play. I just play Call of Duty and CS 1.6 on my laptop :D

If it's any indication, my laptop with a radeon mobility x1400 can run it. Granted it's at 1280x800 and I turned the settings down, but it runs and it runs smoothly even in multiplayer mayhem. Though the game doesn't look as good as with maxed settings like I have at home, the art direction is good enough that when I'm playing, I don't notice the lower settings much at all.

To get a little more FPS I switched the resolution down a little.

I am running at 1024x768 6xMSAA 16XAF with everything maxed
get between 60-80fps on average. Seems to take more horsepower than DOD:S. I can run DOD:S at 1600x1200 4xAA with higher framerate.

I have gotten some lag on a few servers, but I think that is just the server. I switch over to a different one and it runs fine.

Anyone having a problem where the game will slow down to 0fps then freeze for 3-4 seconds then come back up? Seems to happen most often in the blue base on 2fort...makes no sense to me. 6800GT 163.71 drivers

is it just me or are the sentry guns weaker now? did valve nerf them or something? i play mainly engineer and everyone just takes out my sg much easier than before. mainly it seems hwg can just take one down in like 5 seconds even with me constantly repairing.

Sentries haven't been changed, its just much more common now that people understand how to deal with them.

I run TF2 in DX8.1 mode instead of 9.0 because it runs much smoother for me. I can run at 1600x1050 with everything at max if I use DX8.1.

To do this type -dxlevel 81 in the launch options for TF2 in steam

I have an athlon 3000+ 7800GS AGP

its pretty choppy for my x800xl/a64 3200+ @ 1280 at medium textures, Whereas I can run css on max textures and its still playable at @1920 . TF2 seems much more demanding

yes, as well as Avanti, Cornfeld, Maya, Ksour, Magelli, osaka, sandbowl, castleargh, and baconbowl

I run TF2 in DX8.1 mode instead of 9.0 because it runs much smoother for me. I can run at 1600x1050 with everything at max if I use DX8.1.

Thanks for this man, now I can run it in 1680x1050 with most of the settings up without any problems yay!

Anyone having a problem where the game will slow down to 0fps then freeze for 3-4 seconds then come back up? Seems to happen most often in the blue base on 2fort...makes no sense to me. 6800GT 163.71 drivers

Nope.

6800OC 163.71 drivers

That's smart, I'll have to try that on my laptop, maybe I can play TF2 and other Source games after all!

haha.

Stalemates.jpg

Please give your full support to respawn timers.

haha.

Please give your full support to respawn timers.
I couldn't agree more. I played in a no respawn server last night just to see what the fuss was about and I found it unplayable. It's impossible to make a successful push because every time a defender dies, he's back to the front in 10 seconds.

As far as I cna tell, the only people who want no respawn timers are the same ones who want grenades and 32 person servers. I don't mind if valve lets them have the option since I can avoid the servers, but frankly I don't understand why they do.

TF1 never had respawn timers and people still managed to cap just fine. You just need very good teamwork. I agree it makes it much more difficult to defend, though. A lot of it is probably the lack of grenades as well, though, since a nail grenade/napalm grenade in front of a respawn door bought you about 8-10 seconds of time. Pyros weren't as brutal as they are now though.

Also in TF1 on 2fort you could respawn in the lower respawn area and there was a lift instead of a ramp to the ramp room. Looking back on it, I don't know how anyone managed to cap the flag ever given the lack of respawn timers, but it did happen!

TF1 never had respawn timers and people still managed to cap just fine. You just need very good teamwork. I agree it makes it much more difficult to defend, though. A lot of it is probably the lack of grenades as well, though, since a nail grenade/napalm grenade in front of a respawn door bought you about 8-10 seconds of time. Pyros weren't as brutal as they are now though.

Also in TF1 on 2fort you could respawn in the lower respawn area and there was a lift instead of a ramp to the ramp room. Looking back on it, I don't know how anyone managed to cap the flag ever given the lack of respawn timers, but it did happen!
I played TFC quite a bit so I know the mechanics of the older version, but part of the problem with no respawn timers in TF2 is that by and large, the maps are smaller in scale. This is particularly noticeable on 2fort which is why the problem is compounded in that case. The map is probably half the size of 2fort in TFC and thus it takes far less time to get around making the mayhem that much more ridiculous.

The more I play TF2, the more I realize how much more I like it than TFC. I know there are others that feel it's a step backwards, but thus far, every change valve made to the original game I've liked - including the addition of a respawn timer.

Full repsawn timers, is not going to address stalemates (especially on 2Fort) The choke points in 2Fort are too close to the supply room. Making it easy for anyone to get health or re-supply on metal bits for SG's in the ramp room or loft.

Full repsawn timers, is not going to address stalemates (especially on 2Fort) The choke points in 2Fort are too close to the supply room. Making it easy for anyone to get health or re-supply on metal bits for SG's in the ramp room or loft.

True, that doesn't help either. But this new craze for instant respawns is making me sad for the TF2 community, as it only compounds the problem.

This is why I stay away from 2fort now, even though it was a classic, I've been having MUCH more fun playing the new maps. Especially the attack/defend maps.

With 2Fort it just takes a little organization if you have a stalemate going, but if you are just pubing it and not using voice chat or anything then yeah.

Respawn timers are so necessary. I don't see the point in not having them, the balance would be all off.

True, that doesn't help either. But this new craze for instant respawns is making me sad for the TF2 community, as it only compounds the problem.

I agree to some extent on some maps, Dustbowl for instance where instant respawn is not needed.I wasn't a big fan of the no gravity in CS:Source either

I don't want them to get rid of the respawn timers entirely, as that would basically be Counter-Strike: Deathmatch, which is all of the inanity of Counter-Strike combined with even less tactics. I really think 20 seconds is outright excessive, though. 12 seconds is okay by me, or even as short as 8 seconds...but no, probably 12 to 14 seconds. Anything shorter and you make it considerably harder to build an offense to a cap point / intel briefcase that the other team is actually guarding, as even if you kill all of them, they'll be back in your face before you can grab the intel / cap the point and get out, and it will be even lamer because they'll be at full health and you'll (probably) be weakened by having just taken down 3 soldiers, two engineers, a pyro and a couple tier 3 sentries.

Starting to get a little pissed off with this game now, I always seem to get stuck on team retard, and if I don't want to end up fighting 3-4 people all the time instead of a more fair 1-2 then I HAVE to pick the class the team is missing, which is almost always the class for turret removal

So now I seem to spend 24/7 just demoing turrets because no one on team retard can work out how to do it, if I break away from that pattern then team retard can't break their defences and we just get pummled into a corner.

No one person can make much of a difference on their own, so if one team has this really decent coordinated effort, and the other team is team retard (my team) then there's nothing I can do to actually help, short of train the whole team how to play the game.

Its a boring and frustrating cycle, I wish I had the time to devote to a clan or something so I could avoid all the players who have serious trouble grasping the very most basic gameplay elements, like run and defend a point when it's being captured, or move forward to capture enemy points, instead of camping like an idiot.

*edit*

As for the respawn timer, there's nothing more frustrating than sitting there stareing at your screen while you watch the enemy cap while there is not one single thing you can do about it. Like on gravelpit the other night, I die defending B, they already have A, and before I respawn they've captured C, now If I was alive I could have helped and probably stopped them, but no, stuck in spec mode...sitting...waiting, when I should be playing.

Punished for taking risks, punished for trying to stay behind and defend your last point. Thats why no one makes pushes to remove turrets and makes pushes to get points, because hardly anyone is willing to risk their life to capture something, they'd rather camp and ensure they're playing the game more often than sat in spec mode, and can anyone really blame people that do that. This is easily the biggest reason we see so many stalemates, because people prefer to camp and live over take risks and die, and to attack a well defended team means taking significant risks on the part of at least some of the players.

I was wondering if it was just me noticing the maps were a lot smaller; I noticed it mainly when you're running outside and also at the entrance to the base where you normally RJ to the battlements or run up one of the two ramps to the front door; that place is TINY. They made the sewer area MUCH larger however as it used to literally just be a tube, then the ramp stairs and you were in the base; now there's a little resupply with an L bend, another tube, and a small upstairs hiding room.

For sure the respawn rooms being so close to the action is a big problem especially because you can resupply instantly as well; TF1 had respawning health and ammo packs, so if one person went in and grabbed them all, you had to wait until they respawned to grab more. Also dispensers didn't give out health. The updated instant health/ammo resupply (you don't even need to reload!) makes resupplying even more powerful for defenders than before.

I agree I still have fun, but I'm interested in league level play where people are a bit more serious. You still have on each map new people who don't know the classes, or the maps, and don't know what they're doing or where they're going. I still don't know the maps that well but I have an idea of where to go and what to do, whereas some people are totally lost. They're also trying out classes for fun, rather than team balance, not co-ordinating team attacks with voice chat etc.

Voice chat is a big upgrade; TF1 with no voice chat was some insane stuff. When Roger Wilco came out it was a big deal! Now it's built into the game.

Frosteh, try joining a solid server. I've noticed a huge difference when I play on a clan server with some reasonably skilled people, to when I play on a more open server. Neither type restricts who can join, just one attracts consistent players while the other is filled with transients that suck.

Also, perhaps giving 4-5 points or more to the person who capped the largest % of a cap point would be beneficial. I definitely notice what you're talking about. I usually play a sniper, and I'll go charging in with my knife, often killing enough enemies to help clear out the control point. Otoh, when I respawn I'll see 3-4 other snipers sitting on their asses waiting for a clear shot; which is good for their kill:death ratio but does nothing to help the team. Sometimes people don't realize that even if they're something other than a pyro/heavy/soldier, they can still get into the fray and help out more than if they get stuck into a traditional class role.

Starting to get a little pissed off with this game now, I always seem to get stuck on team retard, and if I don't want to end up fighting 3-4 people all the time instead of a more fair 1-2 then I HAVE to pick the class the team is missing, which is almost always the class for turret removal

Thats why we need to get some [H] groups gaming.

As for the respawn timer, there's nothing more frustrating than sitting there stareing at your screen while you watch the enemy cap while there is not one single thing you can do about it. Like on gravelpit the other night, I die defending B, they already have A, and before I respawn they've captured C, now If I was alive I could have helped and probably stopped them, but no, stuck in spec mode...sitting...waiting, when I should be playing.

I agree with you 100% on ur first paragraph, and 0% on your second..
im also always on team retard, there are 2 situations that ussualy happen. I join a server, and my team has 6 engeneers. so i say, "well shit im on team retard" "i better go pyro or heavy or somthing", and i join in..and we are ATTACKING!....like wtf???...oh ya, team retard :rolleyes:

2nd scenerio for team retard...I join and we have 3 heavys, 3 pyros 3 soldiers 2 spys, sounds balanced right? wronggg. we need medics for those heavys, pyros and soldiers, 1 medic helps soo much, the team with 2 medics ussaly wins if there arnt 6 engeneers....so i end up stuck with medic, which is fine spmtimes but not everytime.

When im playing in a server and the teams are balanced, which i have to say ..does happen often...i think you need respawn times, there has to be a penelty for death rather than having to just run back to where you were...If not, people would kamakazii waaay too much, just run in sprayin and prayin.. Ive always played objective round based games, where once your dead...your dead untill the new round starts....it just seems more fun that way, playing with a goal to stay alive and kill as many as you can and get the objective....not just your ability to click the mouse button as you hold "w"....

back to the quote, you died..thats why your watching.....try not to die next time WITHOUT being a huge pussy and camping back...those are where you get the best players

Edit, "[EASY] Clan server" is a good one...ussualy some good clan members playin in there chatting it up

back to the quote, you died..thats why your watching.....try not to die next time WITHOUT being a huge pussy and camping back...those are where you get the best players

Well that depends... I've been on some servers where I was the only competent player on my team, and it was impossible to win because everyone else just died (w/o being productive), or hid. I'd take out 3 attackers then die, and they would cap at least the one point before I could respawn again.

Anyone have some GOOD servers they play frequently on that tend to have decent players?

The whendarknessfalls server had some really decent players during beta. I would always see the same players everytime I logged in. Now these days, it's a hit or miss situation on that server

I've only seen maybe 2 [H] members during my time of playing TF2. We had fun though. I have only run into one server full of smacktards. I played for about 1 minute and left. I hear yah about the "log in and play the class that's leftover". We had a game last night with 12 people on a team and not one medic but approximately 8 snipers. Oh well, I'm having a blast.

Well we need some more admins that can put announcements on servers and such.

It can be done through Steam. I know I can at least on the [H]ardOCP Steam Community page. As for the [H]ardforum Steam community page, you would have to ask Northbridge or another admin that has permissions to post announcements or events, but I think it would be alot easier if you start a thread *hint hint*

Back