Official Team Fortress 2 Thread

And while you're basking in your 1337ness a sniper picks you off and the other team caps the final point? oooooooh :p
caps...point? What is this you speak of? Isn't this game all about racking up the highest personal score?

caps...point? What is this you speak of? Isn't this game all about racking up the highest personal score?

lol, for many, yes....

Yesterday I was playing 2fort (this has become my least favorite map), and we had a team of about 8 people with 3 snipers... I think at one point 4. I told them that we didn't need that many... obviously. the_cake_is_a_lie told me that he was a stat whore and that his only reason for playing on a pub was to get his stats up...... so he was going to stay a sniper. None of the other snipers replied.

Sometimes I hate pubs.... we should get a [H] game going some time, maybe this weekend. I mean I'm usually decently patient guy, but there's only so many times I want to answer the question "where do I find more metal?" in a single game.

lol, for many, yes....

Yesterday I was playing 2fort (this has become my least favorite map), and we had a team of about 8 people with 3 snipers... I think at one point 4. I told them that we didn't need that many... obviously. the_cake_is_a_lie told me that he was a stat whore and that his only reason for playing on a pub was to get his stats up...... so he was going to stay a sniper. None of the other snipers replied.

Sometimes I hate pubs.... we should get a [H] game going some time, maybe this weekend. I mean I'm usually decently patient guy, but there's only so many times I want to answer the question "where do I find more metal?" in a single game.

I know how you feel, back in beta at the whendarknessfalls server. Players would get hounded for picking a defensive class when we were on the attacking side.(and vise versa) The sniper bit is the same ole story everytime on 2Fort these days (3-4 snipers). Check out the "TF2 server your thoughts thread, MattyC is offering a server under [H]

I know how you feel, back in beta at the whendarknessfalls server. Players would get hounded for picking a defensive class when we were on the attacking side. The sniper bit is the same ole story everytime on 2Fort these days (3-4 snipers ). Check out the "TF2 server your thoughts thread, MattyC is offering a server under [H]

Really? Sounds awesome, thanks.

I don't mind snipers, but I do mind stupid snipers. They are actually a pretty powerful offensive class and nothing short of stickies takes out sentries faster than sniper rounds. I don't know if many people realize that bit yet, but 2 shots from a sniper will eliminate a turret and from WELL out of its range. The other nice part of that is that if you can hit the sentry, you can probably take out the engineer repairing it as well. The trick is getting a decent angle that still has the range to take out the gun.

I don't mind snipers, but I do mind stupid snipers. They are actually a pretty powerful offensive class and nothing short of stickies takes out sentries faster than sniper rounds. I don't know if many people realize that bit yet, but 2 shots from a sniper will eliminate a turret and from WELL out of its range. The other nice part of that is that if you can hit the sentry, you can probably take out the engineer repairing it as well. The trick is getting a decent angle that still has the range to take out the gun.

Oh I completely agree, a competent sniper or two are definitely key to most maps, including 2fort, but when there are already 3 snipers, even if the other team has 3 snipers, all each sniper is doing is just picking off the other snipers, so they're basically playing their own game of "who can get the first headshot" and occasionally will take out someone else.

It's basically just the initial annoyance of people who join TEAM fortress and still think they can be whatever they want just so they can kill others. I'm sure it will get better in time, eventually the people who just want to kill will go back to Quake :p

Oh I completely agree, a competent sniper or two are definitely key to most maps, including 2fort, but when there are already 3 snipers, even if the other team has 3 snipers, all each sniper is doing is just picking off the other snipers, so they're basically playing their own game of "who can get the first headshot" and occasionally will take out someone else.

It's basically just the initial annoyance of people who join TEAM fortress and still think they can be whatever they want just so they can kill others. I'm sure it will get better in time, eventually the people who just want to kill will go back to Quake :p
the dumbest part is, it is often the class that is needed the most on a team that will rack up the most points. In other words, when I see the team is full of offensive classes, but no medics, I will switch to medic. I typically end up racking up points faster that way than I was as whatever class I was before. Same goes for any other class. If there's a lack of Heavys, there's a good opportunity to score some major points by switching to heavy (as long as there's a good medic or two around).

I'd be all up for playing with [H] members more often, but I never figured out how to get in the right [H] group. Which one is the real one?

the dumbest part is, it is often the class that is needed the most on a team that will rack up the most points. In other words, when I see the team is full of offensive classes, but no medics, I will switch to medic. I typically end up racking up points faster that way than I was as whatever class I was before. Same goes for any other class. If there's a lack of Heavys, there's a good opportunity to score some major points by switching to heavy (as long as there's a good medic or two around).

I'd be all up for playing with [H] members more often, but I never figured out how to get in the right [H] group. Which one is the real one?

It's here http://steamcommunity.com/groups/hardforum and it's public now so just click the "Join Group" link. I'm citizen86 also in Steam.

I love playing medic, but I'm often on teams that just suck so I have to play a more offensive class to help my team advance... it doesn't matter how well you can heal when your teammate can't hit jack.

I also use sniper to take down turrets. A full power shot will destroy a T3 turret in 1 shot.

I enjoy Engys, Spys, and the occasional snipering.

Engineers ROCK. I always leave a spawn point, and immediately drop a teleporter entrance. Then I go back inside, get more metal, and run and find a good OFFENSIVE position. Preferably nearby where we are trying to capture, etc.

I drop a dispenser and then a teleporter exit, and announce to the team. They I start a sentry and upgrade it. All within about 30 seconds I can get a nice little base going for our guys to spawn out of.

You can turn the tide of the game with one good engineer.

The maps I hate doing this on are the ones where the spawn point is always changing (the 5-cap ones). You have to keep going back and repositioning the entrance. Its hard enough keeping the EXIT in the right spot, let alone the entrance.

Has annyone tried nade boosting a fellow teamate with the demoman? Is this possible? Imagine the possibilites, if you're able to nade boost an engy to an unaccessible point on a map. Of course communication would be vital (assuming this is possible) you would have to tell the engy when to jump before detonating the sticky bomb

Has annyone tried nade boosting a fellow teamate with the demoman? Is this possible? Imagine the possibilites, if you're able to nade boost an engy to an unaccessible point on a map. Of course communication would be vital (assuming this is possible) you would have to tell the engy when to jump before detonating the sticky bomb
No, it's not possible. Rocket and sticky jumping is only possible with yourself, or with an enemy player. The only way for an engineer to access otherwise unaccessible places is by climbing deployables. I've seen it done a few times, mostly on the last cap point of well, by climbing on top of dispensers to get sentries in odd places.

Only if they took damage could they be moved, so it might work with FF on.

For some reason I feel there should be another class. Maybe more of an all around character.

Well maybe you should have read the multiple posts saying its PUBLIC so you can invite yourself.

Well, it *wasn't* public when I first attempted to join, so thanks for the heads up (I guess?). I catch bits and pieces of the thread, so I missed out on the public announcement.

For some reason I feel there should be another class. Maybe more of an all around character.

Thats the point though, if there is an all around character, why would you need the others? Each class needs another because it lacks something. That forces team work ;)

Well, it *wasn't* public when I first attempted to join, so thanks for the heads up (I guess?). I catch bits and pieces of the thread, so I missed out on the public announcement.

Well this thread wasn't the main invite one either, there was another based around that, and there was another thread created saying that the group was public a while ago. Sorry for my "tone" but you started it with the :rolleyes: ;)

Anybody have any lag issues lately? After the last couple of updates, my games are nearly unplayable.

dustzd0.jpg

As you can see via the netgraph, I get big chunks of zero data rate and it happens every 5-10 seconds.

Sorry, but the only thing I can imagine when reading this is, "I miss Counter-strike."

TF2 sucks when people don't work as a team, true. It sucks more when /your/ team doesn't but the /other/ team does. That's just the name of the game.

Yes, what is this game all about? Compared to CS:S?

LESS NOOBS :D

I do like the fact that you can walk through team-mates. No more people blocking the door to the spawn or getting in your way when you have 1 health left. You are 2 foot from the health kit and some guy blocks you just long enough to eat some splash damage and die.

Also it really cuts down on the boosting. Can't stand on your teams shoulders anymore to get to those hard to reach spots. No more turrets on the ceiling above the flag in 2fort.

hah well crap everyone keeps saying how tough it is, or that since they were in the beta they are going to own some noobs.

Glad to see they reward the medics for when the person they are healing gets a kill. Rewards teamwork. In previous editions you wouldn't get squat unless you happened to deliver the final blow. Maybe a kudo's but that's about it.

Has anybody else noticed that the texture quality always gets bumped down to "High" from "Very high" everytime you fire the game up? Is it just me? Every time I start the game up the game puts the texture quality down a notch. Kind of annoying...

it would help better with the server IPs

74.53.95.133:27015
74.54.24.200:27015
75.125.51.116:27015
74.86.90.119:27015
75.125.51.114:27015
68.178.255.207:27015
64.34.214.14:27015
208.122.49.153:27015
75.125.51.115:27015
64.34.212.154:27016
70.87.162.59:27015
64.34.214.8:27016

very nice tx

Has anybody else noticed that the texture quality always gets bumped down to "High" from "Very high" everytime you fire the game up? Is it just me? Every time I start the game up the game puts the texture quality down a notch. Kind of annoying...

Yes, it's a bug, they should get it fixed soon, but it is happening to everyone.

it's a glitch

I put mat_picmip -3 into my autoexec. Not the most elegant solution, but it fixes the issue until Valve does.

Excellent post Sixthsense. Thanks for your contribution.

I hope someone do a system benchmark for this game. Kind of like the oblivion system guide from gamespot. Like what it takes to run this game smoothly at max textures with cpu/gpu at 1280 1600 1200 etc

I hope someone do a system benchmark for this game. Kind of like the oblivion system guide from gamespot. Like what it takes to run this game smoothly at max textures with cpu/gpu at 1280 1600 1200 etc

For such a nice looking game, it doesn't require a whole lot. People with (now) older cards like 7800GT's can run it pretty well at nearly max settings. It's the genius of the Source engine.

I'm willing to bet my 6800 ultra on my laptop can run this

Back