Official Team Fortress 2 Thread

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright, all the beta release headaches have passed and 99% of those who have the beta can now play. The servers have been full for hours as the beta is now about 4 hours old (after Valve releasing the unlaunchable TFC at 11:40 PST). Please keep Sept. 17th release talk or Valve bashing in regards to the semi-botched release in the other threads, this one should be for gameplay.

I've played Dustbowl and Hydro all night. Enjoyed the updates to classic maps. I somewhat miss the grenades but I can easily do without those because TFC Classic has turned into grenade spamming which ruins the gameplay. The greatest disappointment for me is that the cp maps nolonger feature a flag. IE: Dustbowl doesn't need a carrier to carry a flag across the map to the capture point. The best thing for defenders in TFC Classic was to make the carrier drop the flag somewhere inconvienient so that the entire attacking team had to go there to get it back. The dearth of CTF maps (2Fort is the only one) is also unfortunate.

I notice there is an achievement system, it reminds me of the Battlefield 2 system where you have to achieve things like 10 kills in a round with a single turret, stab 5 people, get an enemy medic to heal you, etc. Does this unlock any special things if you complete all the achievements or are they just for your own personal goals/pride?

The biggest change is the medic beam + tank (HWguy) strategy. This isn't the old "guy in a mask pumping a beeping box in your face" but a continous stream of health that renders the pair nearly invincible if done right. It's quite a powerful new strategy.

Interested to know how many hits with the baseball bat the scout needs to take down the different characters.

I hear the Pyro is actually good now?

I also hear something about the demo mans grenades not having the 2ndry function (detonate) or something similar.

I think i will enjoy the scout the most, I love the speed and I'm a team player, I like to go for objectives rather than get kills, so weaving the scout in and out of enemy gunfire sounds fun.

For some reason I can't connect to any servers. It's not blocked with my firewall....

Played it a bit this morning quite enjoyed it for the 10mins i had available.
ran like a dream as well on the system listed delow.

I stayed up pretty late waiting for it and finally decided to go to bed. I thought I would wake up early and play it, but get an error saying Game not available at this time. Now I'm at work with a 9 hr countdown running in my head.

For some reason I can't connect to any servers. It's not blocked with my firewall....

I had that error aswell, i went back to the desktop and vista had one of those allow deny messages waiting for me. not sure if it was firewall related or not.

Played for a few minutes before work. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I only played 2fort and it was a blast. Ran great on my system, though did slow down occasionally, nothing severe.

Downloading now on my work computer so I can get some time in before I head home. :)

I had that error aswell, i went back to the desktop and vista had one of those allow deny messages waiting for me. not sure if it was firewall related or not.

No such message. I can "create a game" which is actually connecting to a Valve server, it says.

I think i will enjoy the scout the most, I love the speed and I'm a team player, I like to go for objectives rather than get kills, so weaving the scout in and out of enemy gunfire sounds fun.

The Scout is actually a formidable opponent now, I went on a 15 person killing spree one round. That's right, 15 people without a death using the Scout. He's definitely my favorite player, especially on 2-Fort where the middle area is basically designed with his double jump in mind.

I have a whole lot written about the game because I can't get it off my mind, it's really superb and easily the best multiplayer game I've played since UT2004, and honestly I like it better than that, and I love UT. I'll bring in some stuff I wrote in another thread here and a thread on another forum:

Here's something I wrote comparing TF2 to FF:

I think this is the most fun I've ever had with an online multiplayer game.

I'm a Team Fortress noob, so my opinion has no bias, but from where I'm sitting this game blows Fortress Forever out of the water and then rapes it anally.

Here are a few reasons why TF2 is better than Fortress Forever

- Far superior artistic direction

- Way better technical graphics and it runs better to boot.

- Enormously improved older maps, with clearly defined control points (something that FF fails miserably at), and much much much nicer looking level geometry. Dustbowl in FF is an exercise in tedium, featuring a metric ton of grenade, rocket, and bullet spam along with capture points that barely stand out. I just got done playing a Dustbowl match in TF2, and never once did the game feel cheap or confusing, I always knew where to go, and every firefight came down to skill, not cheap spam luck.

- The combat feels approximately 10x more solid, and all of the classes are useful. The scout in FF absolutely pathetic, but I can use the scout to dominate a server just as well as any Heavy Weapons guy in TF2.

- Hilarious and very well acted voice acting, infinitely more polished and interesting character models, and more distinct weapon loadouts that make each class an entirely new experience.

Honestly, if I wanted to I could probably go on all night. There is not one single thing that TF2 doesn't do better than FF. I'm sure for diehard TFC fans who wanted the same game with a new coat of paint, FF is probably a more fun game from their perspective, if a little tired at this point.

I do know what it's like to see a sequel change things up and feel totally alienated. Personally I feel every last change they made was for the best, but once someone has grown fond of a certain type of gameplay it's quite a shock to the system to see it changed up. Definitely give this game a fair shake though, I fail to see how any one wouldn't end up being won over by it's rich aesthetic, it's solid gameplay, and it's hilarious characters.

And here's something I wrote comparing it to UT2004, because someone on another forum was surprised that I said it was becoming my favorite multiplayer FPS because he knows how much I love UT2004:

They're both amazing games, but I'm going to give the slight nod to TF2 mainly because I prefer the art direction, the characters, and the humor.

I have absolutely no complaints about either one's gameplay, and they're both filled with variety, they just go about it in different ways.

On one hand you have UT2004 that has somewhere near 100 maps standard (a lot of which aren't that great though) and like ten different gametypes, but the core gameplay remains the same throughout as you use the same moveset and weapons for each gametype.

On the other you have TF2 which only has six maps (more will be added later) but they're all solid as hell. Obviously it's variety doesn't come from it's maps and gametypes (it has two core gametypes with a couple different variations of one), but rather from how unique each character's playing experience is.

You load up a Scout and your play experience will differ tremendously from someone playing a Heavy Weapons guy. Then you try a spy or a medic, and everything completely changes, it's like a completely new game. The classes aren't superficial skin swaps like in most games, they really are completely different experiences, which brings a lot of depth. There's definitely a class for everyone, no matter what style of play you enjoy, and for anyone who commits to this game longterm there's 9 different ways of playing the game to master, which adds considerably to the replay value.

Wait..what?

The scout can double jump?!

O snap, gonna fall in love with this character all over again, simply being nigh unhittable in TFC was enough for me, but double jump and baseball bat, oh fun times to be had, Ive got 3 hours of work left before I can double time it home and play this :mad:

I finally was able to connect. I don't even know what I did differently. I just stop refreshing and then refreshed and the servers appeared...lol.

Anyway, now that I've played it, it's super fun! Medic is actually my favorite class so far, it's a blast. I have to try out all of them for sure, but I don't have time this morning. :(

I was playing on gravelpit and I like the game mode on that...how the defense can set up shop before the offense is "released."

I'll definitely get some good hours out of this.

Is anyone playing right now? I'm still getting an error about the game not being available.

Is anyone playing right now? I'm still getting an error about the game not being available.

stuck @ 65%... what gives? I was at 100% last night..

You're talking on Steam, right? That happened to me as well. What I did is restart Steam, and then it showed it as downloading (at 65%) but it wasn't doing anything (no speed or progress). So I right-clicked and went to "update" or something like that and it said "decrypting." After it finished that it updated successfully and I was able to play. Decrypting + updating took under a minute.

Just got to work. Can't play, hate all those who are playing :p

lol

yeah mine was stuck on 65% aswell, just right click it and hit launch game, then it will decrypt and do its thing.

i think the game is alright, not really my favorite thing in the world but its good, bring on EP2!

I waited last night to play and Valve of course released it late into the night for east coasters. I did get a change to play it for 20 min this morning, the game runs very smooth using the system in my sig never saw a drop of less then 30+ FPS and only saw less then 40 FPS once or twice. The over all feel of the game is very polished. I can’t wait to play it again tonight. I only played two classes the engi and the spy, I only played the spy for about 3 min but from what I played he should be fun. The engi was a blast to play his main weapon does decent damage but I found myself turning and running back to my sentry most of the time. The sentrys seem weaker(take less dmg) I assume this is because the lack of nades. I had 100s of hours in TFC and have been playing FF as well but TF2 is definitely more fun. In the beginning TFC nades worked but now it is just a spam feast so I am glad they removed the nades. It seems each class has the same amount of polish just from how they present the class and the maps to you very newb (never playing TF) friendly.

The kill cam works and the taunts are funny. I cannot wait to log some more hours into this game. I did come across the medic/heavy combo and wow that is tuff, lucky for me I was behind this wall of destruction and they used the indestructible on each other, however once that ran out I killed the medic, the heavy killed me though.. Great game and I don’t see any online teams based FPS that can compete with TF2 this year, ET:QW doesn’t hold a candle to this game..

The stats are a little off, atleast right now.

Apparently, when I got 34 kills as a sniper it's only registered 5 of them yet it has given me the 25 Kill achievement.

Strange.

doublejump + baseball bat = win! Scout for life :D

wonder why they added that roof over the bridge in 2fort though.

oh man, i didn't think it would be this good. its great being a spy and trailing behind an enemy medic following his buddies and stabbing them all in the back

Anyone know how to change their FOV? The console command will not work.

On my 16:10 24inch moniter at 1920x1200 the game looks to be about 2-3 feet to close to your face, I feel like I am missing some screen.

I have already sent a bug ticket for it but I would like to know if anyone has figured it out?

I have a question about the Spy. When disguised, how does he take damage from the opposing team? Since there's no team-damage in TF2, what prevents someone from just running around shooting "test" shots into fellow teammates to see if they're a spy or not?

There is no friendly fire so if someone looks "iffy" blast them. The game runs excellent btw. Like it is ready for release now but they are waiting on something. Fully max settings with 4X MSAA and 8X Af at 1920x1200 = 80-140 fps with a 8800GTX.

I have a question about the Spy. When disguised, how does he take damage from the opposing team? Since there's no team-damage in TF2, what prevents someone from just running around shooting "test" shots into fellow teammates to see if they're a spy or not?
ammo

Interested to know how many hits with the baseball bat the scout needs to take down the different characters

I hear the Pyro is actually good now?

I also hear something about the demo mans grenades not having the 2ndry function (detonate) or something similar.

Pryo isn't that good. Pryo just doesn't suck now. The flame thrower is effective but you have to be pretty close to use it - you really have to ambush a person because running straight at them with a flame thrower doesn't work well (especially against HW's and Soldiers

Demos still have remote dets with the sticky grenades. Also, you can detonate while you have the regular grenade gun out.

this is my first time playing a team fortress game , and man its been good! Im still learning the maps and different class , but so far its some of the best money i have ever spent for a game.

where can i get more info to get me started more quickly?

I've never played TF, but the screenies and gameplay look awesome. Thanks. My clan is moving on to this game and Unreal tournament. Can't wait to play.

www.planetfortress.com would be a good place to start.
it covers all of the old TF's give u an idea about the roles characters play in and what not.

I'm sure more TF2 stuff will continue to pop up and become available.

I've only gotten about 30 minutes of playtime and I feel the addiction of qwtf coming over me again.

As long as two clients are not running at the same time, can you load TF2 on more than one computer without and problems.

Back