Official Team Fortress 2 Thread

I used to run into that with my old Linksys router. It's definitely a problem with how the router handles the packets because - assuming it's the same issue - if you plug directly into the connection without the router, you don't get the error. That said, the only thing that fixed it for me was a firmware update for the router so you might look into that.

im running the latest firmware...im so tempted to get a wrt54g right now ...so i can play..aHHHhg

The game sounds sound like they're coming from sardine can now after the update. What did valve do now?

The game worked fine for me after the update?

It was only a Steam update anyways, and not a TF 2 update, to the best of my knowledge.

Ok, to prove me a liar, it downloaded an update now :D

Changes/Additions

Improved driver checks for various cards that can have problems with specific driver versions
Various updates to Russian and Polish localization
Spies can no longer reload their revolver while cloaked
Demomen grenades now collide with players and Engineer buildings after the first bounce, but still won't explode on contact
Improved startup network initialization to catch issues with server firewalls popping up in the background

Bug fixes
Fixed loading screen and intro movie showing up on Windows Vista with full screen AA
Fixed a sound corruption issue which could cause audio popping
Fixed achievement storage issues that caused a problem with the Head of the Class achievement

The only weird thing is that there is only a fraction of the servers available that there usually is?

Actually you didn't post the latest update.

Newest change log:

- Improved compatibility for direct sound
- Deathcam screenshots now move the player id panel to the lower right,
and hide other hud elements until the freezecam fades
- Improved autobalance calculation code when determining who to switch
- Improved networking compatibility for some routers
- Fixed a crash during level init related to model loading
- Fixed issues on Dustbowl and Hydro that could occur when a server
emptied in the middle of a round
- Fixed a bug in the clientside player avoidance code, and smoothed it a
little more
- Further crash fixes related to paged pool memory usage
- Fixed scoreboard team scores label getting cut off
- Engineer buildings now explode when the Engineer dies during sudden
death
- Fixed a spy backstab exploit where you could stab a player who was not
facing away from you
- Fixed flailing at the low end of the cloak meter when the player gets
uncloaked automatically
- Fixed texture detail level setting "Very high" not being preserved
- Improved various error messages, and added links to steampowered
support pages
- Fixed scoring problem where destroying a buildable added a phantom
point, not attributed to any scoring bucket but still included in total
score
- Fixed honeypot server problems
- Fixed a rare crash caused by a medigun losing its owner
- Fixed an exploit that allowed disconnected medics to continue
ubercharging their target until they timed out
- TeamMenu now disables the spectate button if mp_allowspectators is
zero
- Added a missing "cannot_be_spectator" localization string
- Re-added class count numbers above class buttons for non-zero classes,
in addition to the class images
- Removed prefixes (tc_, ctf_, etc.) from map names in various places
where they're printed
- Fixed some edge cases where grenades could go through player or
buildings
- Fixed rocket/grenade explosions being able to impart damage through
thin ceilings
- The Engineer's "build X" commands will now behave properly when bound
directly to keys

I like what they did with the deathcam. All the HUD elements no longer obscure the center of the screen when taking a screenshot.

Change Log said:
- Fixed rocket/grenade explosions being able to impart damage through thin ceilings

Well, fuck. It seemed like less of a bug and more of a valid counter to turrets.

TF2 - More turtle friendly than ever before!

Is anyone else just... obsessed with the game? When I first tried it, I didn't like it, but it seems the more I play, the better I get... I can actually start seeing a gradual shift to not doing within 5 seconds and actually holding my own. Some FPS's, you can't ever really see any skill increase, or at least I couldn't, like MoH: Airborne. I *still* haven't even opened Quake Wars, or finished NWN 2, and I have no clue how I'm going to even start Mask of the Betrayer or The Witcher, every time I sit down I play TF 2 :D

I was on Gravelpit, we were defending the last point, Point C, deciding to use a sniper, and I found a perfect spot where I was mostly hidden and could aim the rifle through a narrow gap straight into the enemies tunnel. They were all so worried about nailing the guys ON Tower C, they would never even think to notice a sniper at eye level. I lined up the bead at head level, and must have popped about 7 guys in a row before someone finally got smart, took the other tunnel, and got me.

It was basacially headshot, headshot, headshot, assist, headshot, assist, headshot, death.

Hate to doublepost, but want to give this it's own box -

Does anyone else have a problem with Steam *not* recording certain stats? I don't know if Steam takes a dump on me sometimes, but it's only ever listed me as having 1 domination as my all time great, when I know for a fact I had 3 or 4 going at one time with a Pyro.. and Steam is saying I've only played 3.1 hours my entire lifetime, when shit, I play almost 3 hours a DAY.

It seems like Steam sometimes feels like recording my stats, and sometimes it doesn't. My flag capture as a Scout is non existant, for instance.

Steam is saying I've played 3.1 hours in the last two weeks, Xfire is saying I've played 7 hours in the last week alone, so I'm not sure what the deal is here.

Just played an insane dustbowl round with 32 players.

Valve needs to fix the last level of Dust, the demomen on defense nade-jump up to the roof from the cap side and then rain down stickies onto the spawn side.

Did anyone see the server with 250 people in it last night, there was one open spot but it had a password, crazy, was anyone playing in it? It was on 2fort when I was looking, lol must of have been a crazy game.

Did anyone see the server with 250 people in it last night, there was one open spot but it had a password, crazy, was anyone playing in it? It was on 2fort when I was looking, lol must of have been a crazy game.

Are you serious? It was probably just a bug in the server browser displaying the wrong number.

Roufuss,

I am seriosly likeing this game more as I play. I too am getting better. I had the high score (as Medic mostly, scout for offense) for 3 maps straight tonight. I was almost dead last every round earlier today so I know I'm getting better. I had a lot of point when I was last just not as many as everyone else. I'm learning that healing everyone esp heavies and pyros as they rush is a great way to rise to the top.

Steam is also not recording a lot of my stats. I show only 1 invuln but I know I have about a dozen from tonight alone.

The only time I ever see a problem with people turtling is during sudden death when they know they can't repawn. I just follow a heavy in a group and heal everyone so that we win.

I think the problem you guys are having with your stats not recording isn't a problem as much as confusion; those are your best stats for one life, ie you may have had 3 dominations going at once, but you didn't get all three of those in one go with no deaths, if that makes sense.

- Improved autobalance calculation code when determining who to switch
- Engineer buildings now explode when the Engineer dies during sudden
death
- Fixed a spy backstab exploit where you could stab a player who was not
facing away from you

Yay, on all accounts.

Autobalance should be fun, typically when the teams are heavily out numbered I switch to spectator which puts our team 2 men down (inevatably the winning team always has 1 extra player) this then rolls auto balance and shifts a player over, at which point I can then rejoin the team and we're 1 man up, hopefuly in these extreme sessions where one team is getting raped it will switch over their best player, quite happy about that one.

Engineers buildings destroyed in sudden death is kinda handy, still sudden death needs fixing

Spy sidestab thing was irritating as hell when sniping from a corner where you knew your back was clearly covered.

Well, fuck. It seemed like less of a bug and more of a valid counter to turrets.

TF2 - More turtle friendly than ever before!

Wonder if this goes for floors too? I played after the update last night, but it didn't seem to change my gameplay.

I like the splash damage. Generally in 2fort, I can use the solider and shoot the wooden floor and take out a turret. (The room you have to go through to get upstairs. 2 wooden ramps on each side)

Wonder if this goes for floors too? I played after the update last night, but it didn't seem to change my gameplay.

I like the splash damage. Generally in 2fort, I can use the solider and shoot the wooden floor and take out a turret. (The room you have to go through to get upstairs. 2 wooden ramps on each side)

In this case, the ceiling is the floor. Using the sticky bombs to take out turrets on the second floor was pretty much the only way to clear the ramp room without an ubercharge or spy.

Hell, this "fix" benefits turrets in every map. Valve is really listening, I guess, because we all know that the turrets were just at a horrible disadvantage before. Hell, next patch, they should dial down the damage that snipers can do to turrets and give turrets the ability to shoot down grenades and rockets; that'd be really awesome.

In this case, the ceiling is the floor. Using the sticky bombs to take out turrets on the second floor was pretty much the only way to clear the ramp room without an ubercharge or spy.

Hell, this "fix" benefits turrets in every map. Valve is really listening, I guess, because we all know that the turrets were just at a horrible disadvantage before. Hell, next patch, they should dial down the damage that snipers can do to turrets and give turrets the ability to shoot down grenades and rockets; that'd be really awesome.

I hear valve are replacing level 3 turret rockets with tactical nukes, and also uncapping the number of turrets you can build as an engineer, also they now only cost 5 metal to build and upgrade.

Are you seriously complaining about the fact that splash damage doesn't go through walls anymore? Because that was, you know.....awfully unfair. If turrets are bothering you, then L2Spy.

Are you seriously complaining about the fact that splash damage doesn't go through walls anymore? Because that was, you know.....awfully unfair. If turrets are bothering you, then L2Spy.

I wasn't complaining, just asking a question. Its not that big of an issues, there are other ways to destroy a sentry.

I think the way to make sudden death a non turtle fest is to simply remove the stalemate part of it. I've had matches where we've outnumbered the other team in sudden death, and it's a stalemate? How does that even work? I think if one team is ahead of the other one in players remaining, give the other team the win, this way, you're going to cut down on the turtling if one team is behind. As it stands now, most sudden deaths end up with 2 - 4people per side turtling until the clock ticks out.

It seems most people are realizing that in sudden death, you CAN still cap points and grab intel, so if the other team is hiding somewhere, just go cap the last point and win. However the problem is when Engineer's build turrets all over the cap point, and the last 3 people on the other team don't want to risk it.

I just hate the stalemate feature because it encourages turtling - if you're going to lose, just hide somewhere and turtle around the cap point, get a stalemate. I don't know, I hate it when we have 3 people, the other team has one Engineer and a sentry, times up, whoops it's a stalemate. Uhhh, no, we were ahead in terms of manpower.

The game also needs more CTF maps, CTF is my favorite game type and as much as I love 2fort, I wish we had at least one more CTF map. I feel so old when I remember when CTF wasn't even a multiplayer staple, just an awesome mod =O

they need to do something drastic to sudden death like one of the following.

1) First team person to cap the next CP in the chain wins, rather than having to cap them all
2) Everyones health decreases over time
3) Engineer class is banned from sudden death OR they simply cannot build turrets

I'd prefer all 3 at the same time, and a 30 second time limit, enough to rush 1 point and all die and a blaze of glory, which is how something called "sudden death" should really occur...suddenly, with lots of death.

they need to do something drastic to sudden death like one of the following.

1) First team person to cap the next CP in the chain wins, rather than having to cap them all
2) Everyones health decreases over time
3) Engineer class is banned from sudden death OR they simply cannot build turrets

I'd prefer all 3 at the same time, and a 30 second time limit, enough to rush 1 point and all die and a blaze of glory, which is how something called "sudden death" should really occur...suddenly, with lots of death.

I'd much rather see them fix the primary scoring instead, so we don't have so many SD's in the first place. Hydro, Well and Granary are broken and unfun - win or lose.

I agree, I'd much rather see a system which avoids sudden death all together. I suggest simply raising the amount of time the rounds are played over, these bitesized rounds are a bit too quick for my liking, in a lot of cases you know one team can win they just need a bit of time to slowly push the enemy back.

I also feel the turrets need a bit of work, I'm absolutly convinced it still needs the extreme push removed so that they dont fling you about the place when you're shot. Ubered HWG/Solider/demoman is one of the most used tactics to remove pesky turret placements that becomes a near impossibility if when you step out 3 turrets smack you in the face and fling you back 20 meters.

I agree, I'd much rather see a system which avoids sudden death all together. I suggest simply raising the amount of time the rounds are played over, these bitesized rounds are a bit too quick for my liking, in a lot of cases you know one team can win they just need a bit of time to slowly push the enemy back.

I also feel the turrets need a bit of work, I'm absolutly convinced it still needs the extreme push removed so that they dont fling you about the place when you're shot. Ubered HWG/Solider/demoman is one of the most used tactics to remove pesky turret placements that becomes a near impossibility if when you step out 3 turrets smack you in the face and fling you back 20 meters.

thing about turrets is they let you build an uber very fast. if they really have that much of a turtle a pair of heavys and a pyro all ubered will kill much things. or you could have like half the team go spy and really piss off the engineers

Agreed; they need to fix sudden deaths and turret throw.

An ubered pyro can't do anything to a turret. At all. You get flung across the room and your flamethrower range is too short.

I hope they make splash damage go through sentries so engineers can't sit and repair them forever, that would solve a lot of issues.

For sudden death on tc or cp maps, it would be nice if they made it so that the team that controls more CPs wins if the other team doesn't cap so it forces a team to go out and go offense.

In general people seem to be improving but there are still morons out there. I played a game two days ago where on Well an engineer immediately set up a sentry in our last CP room. At the start of the game. He sat there all game afterwards.

Arg.

Game also needs automatic AFK booting because there are tons of times where someone goes afk and just sits there for round after round of TC_Hydro or whatever and it's really aggravating because they still count as a "player" when auto balancing kicks in.

Well, the sentry knockback vs uber is very situational - depending on sentry placement, players approach, etc... Ubered Pyros are very effective against mass sentrys that are placed right around a corner. If the approaching uber'd player gets any sort of air though, either by falling or jumping, they'll get pushed back well out of effective range.

In general though, yes, the knockback needs to be toned down a bit. It's annoying.

Aw, they fixed the explosions through walls thing? I was starting to think that was an intended feature. I mean, I guess it was an unfair exploit, but it was still pretty damn fun to be able to just shoot guesstimated places on a ceiling and get multiple kills.

Honestly, while sudden death often is a turtle, I don't think it's poorly designed. I'd say it's more a "l2p" on the general populace thing. I'd rather not have a good game changed just to accommodate stupid people that don't understand rushing. It really isn't hard to break through sentry guns in SD, as long as you have players that know how to uber right off the bat, or know when to use an uber correctly.

Aw, they fixed the explosions through walls thing? I was starting to think that was an intended feature. I mean, I guess it was an unfair exploit, but it was still pretty damn fun to be able to just shoot guesstimated places on a ceiling and get multiple kills.

Never tried that, glad they fixed it though. I don't know how anyone would consider how an explosion through a wall to be a "feature" and not an exploit.

fun in a gay way, sure.

Sorry, but you need to grow up and stop being an idiot to everyone who posts on this forum, it's getting very boring.

Honestly, while sudden death often is a turtle, I don't think it's poorly designed. I'd say it's more a "l2p" on the general populace thing. I'd rather not have a good game changed just to accommodate stupid people that don't understand rushing. It really isn't hard to break through sentry guns in SD, as long as you have players that know how to uber right off the bat, or know when to use an uber correctly.

But the problem is there's no incentive, no direction for these teams. Do they go on offense? Do they stay on defense? For maps like Hydro, Well and Granary, it's all just ambiguous. So the pubs on these maps just end up being a quagmire of boredom. And if a team does manage a decisive victory, it's because they're so much more skilled than the other team. A complete blowout - which isn't any fun either. Dustbowl and Gravelpit are just so much better because everyone at least has a sense of what they need to be doing.

I would like to see Well and Granary scoring change so that whoever has the most CP's at the end of the timelimit wins. That way the instant the middle CP is captured, map objective becomes more clear. At least the losing team can say to themselves, "well shit, we have to take that middle point back or we lose. Time to go all offensive." In a sense it would almost turn into a mini Dustbowl at that point.

Hydro just needs to be completely reworked. It's crap.

I always see the 255 player server, I always wonder what it is because it's password protected.

Anyway, my only beef right now is that the demomen can sticky jump onto the roof in certain places in dustbowl level 3 that make it difficult to advance. Fun if you are defending though.

I agree on the maps like Well and Granary, usually the middle capture point can be a decent fight if it's not captured right away, but after that it seems like the team that captured it well sit back and defend it while only a couple people push forward. Engy's will sit back and build up their sentries, people will stand around waiting....

I think right now it's still just a new players thing. Engineers especially have to get used to building and constantly rebuilding teleporters and well.... everything. So what you have a LV3 sentry? Blow the bastard up and build it again closer to the next capture point. Instead of defending the last point, or the point 2 points back, get up on the front lines and build up a sentry to keep the defending team BACK!

But I agree with you Soy, there could be more incentive for sure. But I'm willing to bet it will get better when people really start learning how to use each class, especially the engy's.

Never tried that, glad they fixed it though. I don't know how anyone would consider how an explosion through a wall to be a "feature" and not an exploit.

Sorry, but you need to grow up and stop being an idiot to everyone who posts on this forum, it's getting very boring.

uh no, stalker. he said using an exploit was fun. so yeah its fun, but its gay. im just gonna start ignoring you now because you are getting very annoying. this should work, because it works on my dog. when he barks and barks and i ignore him he will stop barking. but if i keep responding to him he will go on longer than he otherwise would have. i think the same will work with you. now be a good boy!

You realize, of course, that now that you've said that, you can't ever talk to him or reply to a post of his ever again, otherwise we'll know you were just lying to be melodramatic. Can you ignore me too? Actually, better idea. Just go into your ignore list and add "*". Well, maybe that doesn't work, there's still a chance you might find an old post that upsets you and you find to be "gay." Just disconnect your modem. Problem solved!

uh no, stalker. he said using an exploit was fun. so yeah its fun, but its gay. im just gonna start ignoring you now because you are getting very annoying. this should work, because it works on my dog. when he barks and barks and i ignore him he will stop barking. but if i keep responding to him he will go on longer than he otherwise would have. i think the same will work with you. now be a good boy!

If you're ignoring me so that you can work on treating your dog better, then by all means, please do it, I don't like to see pets mistreated.

a guys its simple to take out sentries with engies fixing them, you aim next to or on a near by wall. 3 rockets later you get a dead engineer then focus on turrets. Nothing wrong with sentry guns they hard hard to take out but thats a good thing.

for example... in 2fort if you got a nerd sandwitch behind the desk of the intel room (gun on desk, engy behind it, dispencer in corner behind engy. I dont even step out i fire at the wall behind the chair. The splash damage damages everything in the sandwitch. After the 1st clip i normally get the dispencer at LEAST. The 2nd will kill the engineer after dispencer is dowe, then i creap out and pop the gun dead.

Back