Official Phenom and AM2/AM2+ Overclocking Guide

Psychlone

n00b
Here's a TON of information collected and discovered over the course of testing 4 Phenom 9850BE's that is sure to help some of you with any AM2/AM2+ setup, as well as my current BIOS options for my overclock for the M3A32-MVP Deluxe and 9850BE.

DISCLAIMER: This tome of information is intended to be a guide, used as a template for YOUR overclocking adventure - in no way shall I be liable for any malfunction or damage as a result of using any of this information.
Everything in this post is from my own personal experience embellished with links and facts from other's personal experiences. It was complied from 42 pages of hand-written notes spanning 4 different stepping Phenom 9850BE processors, along with prior knowledge of AMD architecture...nothing here is hearsay, it's all real-world experience of what has proven to be an effective overclock for MY current setup.

IN NO WAY do I mean for this guide to be followed to the letter - ALL components, even given the same exact stepping/lot #, sequential serial #'s, etc., will overclock the same.
There is no guarantee. You paid for parts that will perform at their advertised specifications, and what you're doing by overclocking is getting *more* than what you paid for (hence the 'no guarantees' part.)
What may work for one individual may or may not work for the next...even given the same exact components...just always remember this...sometimes you have to settle for less than what you originally expected - the way to make it 'ok' in your head is to remember the 'no guarantees' thing...you've already got 'something' for 'nothing' if you've overclocked *at all*. ;)

In overclocking, there are inherent risks. The very fact that you're playing with voltages and cycles translates into playing with fire - literally. More voltage = more heat. I can't stress enough the importance of proper temperature monitoring and some real good CPU cooling as well as excellent case cooling.

Here's AMD's 'secret' overclocking formula (not discovered by me, but rewritten by me to be understandable by the masses: This equation is for the Phenom/AM2/AM2+ architecture, it's a bit different from the older (pre-K8) architecture in that our HT and NB are now a multiple of the FSB, as well as the divisor ratio is no longer rounded up when landing on a fraction (decimal) of a whole integer.

AMD Overclocking Equation:
(CPU Multi) * (FSB) = (CPU Freq)
(CPU Multi) / (Memory Divider) = (Divisor Ratio)
(CPU Freq) / (Divisor Ratio) = (RAM MHz) (* 2 = DDR MHz)
(NB Multi) * (FSB) = (NB Freq)

(HT Multi) * (FSB) = (HT Freq) **
**note: the HT Multi is usually shown as a MHz option rather than a multiplier of the FSB, but in fact, it is a default of 10X the FSB
Also of note is that your HT *MUST* be < or = the resulting NB Frequency or you will not be stable.

Memory Dividers for use in the equation above

I have included every conceivable way that these dividers can be displayed for every AM2/AM2+ BIOS. Use the DECIMAL value in the equation above and use one of the corresponding values for your specific BIOS. I've only included the 800MHz and the 1066MHz values, as this is what the majority of us are using.

533 = 1066 = 16:6 = 8:3 = (8 / 3 = 2.6666666) = 2.6666666
400 = 800 = 12:6 = 6:3 = (6 / 3 = 2) = 2

There are footnotes collected from my adventures at the bottom describing some of the more obscure functions and some of the hidden options. Read them carefully, test each config for yourself and decide what works for you.

About MONITORING YOUR TEMPS:
ASUS has a nifty little utility called PCProbe2 that comes on the CD that came with the motherboard... USE IT. I also found that CoreTemp gives a very close reading with the M3A32-MVP Deluxe.
If your temps at *any* time reach into the mid 50*C range, STOP and readdress your CPU and case cooling before continuing any further. (High 60*C is the upper limit, but we don’t need to push it, right?)
Just ensure that you're using *something* to monitor your temps while spending any time in the overclocking arena!

There are loads of good aftermarket CPU cooling options out there...I personally have the ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme, and I'm very pleased with not only it's performance, but it's sound level as well (with 2 Scythe S-Flex fans).

Also of importance is your case cooling. Every case I've ever had IS NOT pre-setup with what turns out to be the most efficient fan arrangement. It's up to YOU to decide what fan needs to be where, which direction it should be (pulling air IN or pushing it OUT) and what make/model/CFM/RPM you need. Just be aware that without fresh, cool air coming IN the case, all you've got is warmed air to circulate across your CPU's HS/f, and without adequate EXHAUST, you've really just shot yourself in the foot again - BOTH are paramount to a decent overclock (I really can't stress this enough - MOST people miss case cooling and concentrate solely on their CPU HS/f)

All in all, by the very nature of overclocking, you need to know that you're taking a risk of exposing specific components to more voltage/heat/cycles than they're designed to take, which *could* or *may not* lead to their early or eventual demise.

I'm sure most people that will read through all that crap already understand the risks...it's just pertinent for me to say...I can't be held liable for any kind of overclock gone wrong.

Alrighty then...

Some here's some terminology that we're going to be familiar with by the end of this post:

TERMINOLOGY and BACKGROUND INFO:

AMD's HT: HyperTransport (HT), formerly known as Lightning Data Transport (LDT), is a bidirectional serial/parallel high-bandwidth, low-latency computer bus. The HyperTransport Technology Consortium is in charge of promoting and developing HyperTransport technology. The technology is used by AMD and Transmeta in x86 processors, PMC-Sierra and Broadcom in MIPS microprocessors, NVIDIA, Via, SiS, ULi/ALi, and AMD in PC chipsets, Apple Computer and HP in Desktops and notebooks, HP, Sun, IBM, and IWill in servers, Cray in supercomputers, and Cisco Systems in routers.

HyperTransport runs at 200-5200 MHz (compared to PCI at either 33 or 66 MHz). It is also a DDR or "double-data-rate" bus, meaning it sends data on both the rising and falling edges of the 1400 MHz clock signal. This allows for a maximum data rate of 2600 MTransfers/s each direction. The frequency is auto-negotiated, but can be changed via a multiplier, which is a multiple of your FSB.

HyperTransport supports auto-negotiated bus widths, from 2 (bidirectional serial, 1 bit each way) to 32-bit (16 each way) busses are allowed. The full-sized, full-speed 32-bit bus has a transfer rate of 22,400 MByte/s, making it much faster than existing standards. Busses of various widths can be mixed together in a single application, which allows for high speed busses between main memory and the CPU, and lower speed busses to peripherals, as appropriate. The technology also has much lower latency than other solutions.

So, in a nutshell, HT is the bandwidth used between your memory and CPU and the CPU and other peripherals.

AMD's HTT: (HyperTransport Technology (HTT) - I know, confusing!!!) The A64 has no FSB (or Front Side Bus) as we know it. That's because the memory controller is built-in to the CPU rather than being on the motherboard. Basically, HyperTransport replaces the FSB.
So raising the HTT is how we raise the CPU cycles...it's the amount of communication a CPU can push in a given amount of time.
This has reverted (in terminology only) back to FSB with the new boards and new BIOS, probably to make it easier and less confusing. So, HTT = FSB on the new AM2/AM2+ boards.

CPU Multiplier: The CPU multiplier is one way for processors to run much faster than the clock speed of the motherboard or RAM allows. For every tick of the front side bus (FSB) clock, a frequency multiplier causes the CPU to perform x cycles, where x is the multiplier.
For example, if the FSB has a clock speed of 200 MHz and the CPU multiplier is 10x, then the processor would run at 2000MHz or 2.0GHz.
One downside of the multiplier is that it only increases CPU speed. In the previous example there is a multiplier of 10x, but RAM still runs at 200 MHz, so the computer can only access memory at 1/10th of the processor speed, 200 MHz, the speed of the FSB. Because of this, many overclockers prefer to have lower multipliers with higher FSBs.
With the Phenom systems (currently using the 790X and 790FX chipsets) - the CPU Multiplier is really the best way to increase your CPU Frequency. Adding FSB to an already high CPU Multiplier can improve CPU Frequency, but most times leads to instability without lots of voltage to help it out.

Memory Divider: One popular way of overclocking your processor is to increase your FSB. This increases the processor bus, and memory bus equally. In the event that your processor still has the ability to increase in speed, but your memory is maxed out, you would use the memory divider to slow down your memory by running it at a fraction of it's rated speed. Example: You want to run your FSB at 300Mhz, but your memory maxes at 1066Mhz. Set the FSB to 300Mhz, and the memory divider to 1/2, and the memory will run at 533Mhz. (primitive example, but you should get the idea) – the point here is that running a memory divider *literally* runs your memory at a fraction of its original speed…this is a good thing as we’ll learn later.

FINDING YOUR MAXIMUM VALUES:
It's extremely important to find each of your component's maximum values before attempting any relevant overclock. Without such knowledge, it's all just a stab in the dark, but with the knowledge of where everything caps out, you have an excellent idea of what you can expect from each individual component.

Now then, here is what I do when beginning a new overclock:
(We're going to try to find the limit for your motherboard's FSB first)

Drop the CPU Multiplier to it's lowest setting
Drop the HT Link Speed to it's lowest setting
Drop the RAM divider to it's lowest setting

Begin by raising the FSB (CPU Frequency) in 5 - 10MHz increments - rebooting to POST (Power On Self Test - it's the very first screen of text in black and white that you see when you first start your computer from an OFF state) in between each change - until it wont POST (Power On Self Test) - note the number as you've just found your motherboard's maximum FSB. This is important, as your motherboard really is a major determining factor on just how far you can overclock your CPU/RAM and other peripherals. I have found my M3A32-MVP Deluxe is capable of 286MHz FSB with all 4 Phenom 9850BE's that I've tested...I know that it would be different for a different architecture CPU.
Drop it down to a comfortable stable level decided on from the equation above.
(yep, we're going to be using that equation *a lot*, so just get used to it!!!)

CPU Multiplier:
Begin with your RAM at it's lowest setting, your HT at it's lowest setting, your NB at it's lowest setting and your FSB at 200, then begin raising your CPU Multiplier 1 step at a time, rebooting between each change until it fails POST. This is going to be the maximum CPU Multiplier that you're going to be able to use.

NorthBridge: You can adjust your NB frequency using a multiplier in the BIOS - remember it's a multiple of the FSB. I've found mine to be completely stable at 2600MHz. You'll have to experiment with the NB voltage to find your full-speed maximum.

HT Link Speed Remembering that it's actually a 10X multiple of your FSB, increasing the FSB also increases your HT. I've found mine stable at over 2400MHz, but in conjunction with the NB, it's stability is capped at 2400MHz when the NB is at 2400MHz or higher.
The secret for getting a higher MHz throughput out of the HT is because of the chipset and the options for it.
Higher voltage helps in the stability for higher bandwidth - But you've GOT to pay attention to your motherboard temp now! Mine's sitting at 38*C right now, and doesn't really get much higher - this is due to adequate case cooling, which I suggest you definitely follow up on!!! (since the Northbridge on the M3A32-MVP Deluxe is passive, it really relies on good airflow around it to keep it cool! - if at any point you feel uncomfortable about the NB reaching into the mid 40*C range, you may want to check into an active cooling, or perhaps just removing the HS assembly and replacing the ASUS thermal gunk with a nice fresh layer of Arctic Silver5 or Ceramique) along with using the crap copper heatsink that came with the board...even though the memory cooling part is useless, the extra copper fins do help to dissipate a lot of the heat generated by the NB.

You can begin playing with the equation above now that you know *most* of the variables and what all your individual component's maximum values are.
If your temps are good (~50*C or below at FULL LOAD) and your motherboard temps are good (38-44*C) then you can start experimenting with other voltages (NB/HT/PCI PLL, etc.)

(this really becomes nothing more than a balancing act at this point - and it takes time...have patience, take breaks - if you get too frustrated, stop for 10-15 minutes and do something else in a different room...I'm not kidding! I've been soooo close to putting my foot all the way through my case that it's not even funny, so I *know* what I'm talking about - TAKE BREAKS! - oh, and try not to drink alot of coffee, it only will agitate you and make it very aggravating!)

If you've made it this far, you've just found a *comfortable* level from which to work...now the hard part begins!

RAM Overclocking:
Raise ALL your RAM latencies to 3-4 notches (where possible) above stock SPD for the speed you've decided to run.
Leave your voltage where the manufacturer recommends it (don't go higher - the BIOS text goes red for a reason!) - Later on, you can adjust it up to 2.50V (as a MAX), but you will not need it to be even .01 higher - The point of diminishing returns happens when you've exhausted all overclocking attempts and it will not increase no matter how much voltage you throw at it.
Now, starting with the SECOND one (tRAS), drop it one notch and reboot to POST (and I *mean* [1] notch at a time - you do more than that, you'll find yourself resetting your CMOS twice a much as you're already going to!!!!), repeating until it will not pass the POST, clear the CMOS if you have to, and raise that one value one notch.
Do the same for ALL the latencies (rebooting to POST in between EACH AND EVERY CHANGE) - leaving tREF at 127.5ns (this will help with stability at higher MHz)

This is a *very* long and arduous process, but the benefit will be more than worth the effort you put into it!
Once you've made it this far, try changing the CMD (Command Rate) Timing to 1T and see if it boots all the way into Windows - if not, change it back to 2T. (most sticks won't run at a 1T CMD Rate on AM2/AM2+, so don't feel bad - it was worth the try!)

After you've found all the lowest latencies for the *comfortable* overclock, you can begin to see if there's any more...
By raising the CPU voltage, (NEVER HIGHER THAN 1.55V) you can increase stability in your overclock - but it comes at a great price - HEAT. If your CPU gets above 50*C under full load (should be in the 35-42*C range for idle - but load temps are the most important!), you need better cooling, or need to settle on an overclock that utilizes less voltage (which means less FSB and/or higher multiplier and maybe even a different memory divider)

Here are some links to software that you'll need...you probably don't need it all as a few are redundant and overkill, but here they are nonetheless.

I'd DEFINITELY pick up OCCT, Orthos, SuperPI, CPU RightMark and RMMA from the Benchmarking section, *everything* from the Monitoring section, then Memset and AMD Overdrive from the MISC section/

Benchmarking Software:
OCCT Perestroïka
Orthos StressPRIME 2004
SuperPI (use for quick and dirty bench tests to discover if what you did was faster or slower)
SiSoft Sandra
CPU RightMark
RMMA
RAMTester
wPrime
MaxPi is a newer version of SuperPi coded for multiple core processors, and a relatively new addition to this list - it gives some interesting results, but a certain drawback is that it's written in Russian...(personally, I will use it once in a while, but when testing if what I changed in BIOS is better or worse for number crunching, I'll still use SuperPi - it's quicker and gives results in a language I can understand!)
and then of course the FutureMark line of PC and GPU benchmark products - but I'd only get PCMark Vantage for this...and really, only if you want to. (or optionally, 3DMark Vantage, but then you're scoring more than just your CPU...)

Monitoring Software:
ASUS PCProbe 2
CPUz
Everest 4 - also contains a Cache and Memory Benchmark that I use all the time.
AMDClock
CoreTemp

Calculators and MISC tools:
RMGotcha
MemSet
AMD Overdrive

Below is my current overclock using BIOS 1102 - again, DO NOT just input these values into your own, either you'll not be stable (BEST case scenario) or you'll fry something altogether - you'll need to do the legwork yourself for YOUR components.

MAIN
Press F4 and we'll see some 'hidden' settings further in...
(leave all these options at default)
Legacy Diskette A [Disabled] Unless you use a Floppy Drive
Primary IDE Master [Not Detected]
Primary IDE Slave [Not Detected]
SATA1 [Not Detected]
SATA2 [Not Detected]
SATA3 [Not Detected]
SATA4 [Not Detected]
Storage Configuration
On Chip SATA Channel [Enabled]
On Chip SATA Type [IDE]

ADVANCED
.JumperFree Configuration
..AI Overclocking [Manual]
..FSB Frequency [210]
..PCIE Frequency [110] (I wouldn't experiment much with this one, but some boards do have a 'sweet spot')
..Processor Frequency Multiplier [15.00x]
..Processor Voltage [1.325] - which is actually 1.318 *see footnote 1
..Processor-NB Voltage [1.35]
..CPU VDDA Voltage [2.6v] (CPU voltage regulation circuits)
..CPU-NB HT Link Speed [2.4GHz] - this has to be proven stable before just jumping into it!
..DDR Voltage [2.10]
..Northbridge Voltage [Manual]
..Hyper Transport Volatge [1.50v]
..Core/PCIe Voltage [1.20] - Voltage supplied to the NB chip itself
..NB PCIE PLL [1.9v]
..Southbridge Voltage [1.24]
..Auto Xpress [Disabled] - Has to do with the TLB fix and doesn't do anything for xx50 series Phenoms
..CPU Tweak [Disabled] - Has to do with the TLB fix and doesn't do anything for xx50 series Phenoms

Memory Configuration
..Bank Interleving [Auto]
..Channel Interleaving XOR of Address bits [20:16,9]
..MemClk Trisate C3/ATLVID [Disabled] *see footnotes
..Memory Hole Remaping [Enabled]
..DRAM Ganged Mode [Disabled]
..Power Down Enable [Disabled]
..Read Delay [Auto]
..DCQ Bypass Maximum [Auto] - setting to 4 or 6 may help yield stability at high MHz values
.DRAM Timing Configuration
..Memory Clock Mode [Manual]
..Memory Clock Value [1066 MHz]
..2T Mode [Enabled]
..DRAM Timing Mode [Both]
..CAS Latency (CL) [5 CLK]
..TCWL [5 CLK] - lower values equal faster writes, but will cause instability at high MHz
..TRCD [5 CLK]
..TRP [5 CLK]
..TRAS [18 CLK] - bios 1002 and up overrides this setting: If tRTP is set to Auto then -2 from what the setting is. Any other tRTP setting and this is 18 no matter what the setting is.
..tWR [4 CLK]
..tRFC0 [127.5 ns]
..tRFC1 [127.5 ns]
..tRFC2 [127.5 ns]
..tRFC3 [127.5 ns]
...TRC [26 CLK] - BIOS 1002 overrides this setting if tRTP is not on Auto. If tRTP is not on Auto this is 26.
..TRRD [2 CLK]
..tWTR [3 CLK] - BIOS 1002 orverrides this setting if tRTP is not on Auto, the resulting setting will be reduced by 1 otherwise.
..tRTP [2-4 CLK] In bios 0801 anything but auto and TRC and TRAS are overridden, BIOS 902 and higher, 2-4 CLK and TRAS will function as set.
..tRWTTO [4 CLK] - for my memory it is Auto or same as tWR or will not boot.
..tWRRD [Auto]
..tWRWR [Auto]
..tRDRD [Auto]
..PLL1 Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
..PLL2 Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
..AI Clock Skew for Channel A [Auto]
....Current Clock Skew Advance 300ps
..AI Clock Skew for Channel B [Auto]
....Current Clock Skew Advance 450ps

AI Net 2
..Marvell Post LAN cable [Disabled]

CPU Configuration
..GART Error Reporting [Disabled]
..Microcode Updation [Disabled]
..Secure Virtual Machine Mode [Disabled]
..AMD Cool 'n' Quiet Function [Disabled]
..ACPI SRAT Table [Enabled]
..Processor Downcore [Disabled] - this effectively shuts down between 1 and 3 cores
..AMD Live! [Disabled]

Chipset
..Primary Video Controller [PCIE GFX0-GFX2-GPP] - this setting identifies the top blue slot as primary. GFX2 refers to the top black slot (Port #03)
..PCI Express Configuration
..GFX Dual Slot Configuration [Enabled]
..GFX Dual Slot Configuration [Disabled]
..Peer-to-Peer among GFX/GFX2 [Disabled] this setting is for running cards connected to the top blue and black slots on equal status for issuing requests and commands
..GPP Slots Power Limit, W [25] (for those of us running ATi cards, set the Power Limit at 75
..Port #02 & #03 Features
....Gen2 High Speed Mode [Disabled] found this was the best setting for me according to 3DMark06 - may need to enable for CF
....Link ASPM [Disabled] - ASPM stands for Active State Power Mangement
....Slot Power Limit, W [25] Maximum wattage that can be supplied through the slot (0-250) - set to 75 for most ATi cards
..Port#04 through #10
....Gen2 High Speed Mode [Disabled]
....Link ASPM [Disabled]
..Port#11 Features Bottom blue slot
....Gen2 High Speed Mode [Disabled] - again, may need to be enabled for CF
....Link ASPM [Disabled]
....Link Width [x16]
....Slot Power Limit, W [25] - set to 75 for most ATi cards
..NB-SB Port Features
..NB-SB Link ASPM [Disabled]
..NP NB-SB VC1 Traffic Support [Enabled] (virtual channel 1) helps with Isochronous Flow-Control Mode or [Disabled] if not using Isochronous Flow Control, 2xCLK or UnitID Clumping * see footnotes

Hyper Transport Configuration
..Isochronous Flow-Control Mode [Enabled] or [Disabled] if not used in conjunction with the other variables * see footnotes
..HT Link Tristate [CAD/CTL/CLK] or [Disabled] if not used in conjunction with the other variables * see footnotes
..UnitID Clumping [UnitID 2/3&B/C] or [Disabled] if not used in conjunction with the other variables * see footnotes
..2xLCLK Mode [Disabled]

Onboard Devices Configuration
..Onboard Floppy Controller [Disabled] unless you use a Floppy Drive
..Floppy Drive Swap [Disabled] unless you use a Floppy Drive
..Serial Port1 Address [Disabled] unless you use a serial device
..HD Audio Azalia Device [Auto] left at default
..Front Panel Support Type [HD Audio] (neither of these 2 items need to be enabled if you're using a 3rd party sound card
..1394 [Disabled] unless you use a 1394 device
..WiFi [Disabled] unless you use the WiFi motherboard attachment
..Onboard LAN [Enable]
..Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]
..Marvell 6111 SATA Controller [Disabled] (found NO use for this and I have 6 HDDs)
..Marvell 6121 SATA Controller [Enable] (all HDDs/DVD drives use this channel)
..Marvell Option ROM [Disabled]
..Primary Display Adapter [PCI-E]

PCI PnP
..Plug and Play OS [No] - let your motherboard decide IRQs for what's plugged into it, not Windows!
..PCI Latency Timer [64] - higher values may create more stability, but at the cost of increasing PCI bandwidth time
..Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA [Yes]
..Palette Snooping [Disabled]

USB Configuration
..USB Functions [Enabled]
..USB 2.0 Controller [Enabled]
..USB 2.0 Controller Mode [HiSpeed]
..BIOS EHCI Hand-Off [Disabled] - Windows takes care of this for you
..Legacy USB Support [Auto] - no one uses any 1.0 USB anymore, but can cause the system to crash if disabled, Auto will automagically shut-down in the event no 1.0 USB device is found

POWER
..Suspend Mode [Auto]
..Report Video on S3 Resume [No] default
..ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled] ACPI Power Management
..ACPI APIC Support [Enabled] ACPI APIC

APM Configuration
all settings left at default

Hardware Monitor
..CPU Fan Warning Speed [Disabled]
..Smart Q-Fan Function [Disabled] this is what the fourth pin is for on four pin fan connectors, so if you use this function, set to [Enabled]

BOOT
..Boot Device Priority
...1st Boot Device [(set to your OS HDD in 'Hard Disk Drives')]
...2nd Boot Device [Disabled]

Boot Settings Configuration
..Quick Boot [Enabled] - only set to enabled AFTER you're done tweaking your overclock!
..Full Screen Logo [Disabled] - because I like to see the POST
..AddOn ROM Display Mode [Force BIOS]
..Bootup Num-Lock [On]
..Wait for 'F1' Error [Enabled] - waits for user input in the event of an overclock failure
..Hit 'DEL' Message Display [Enabled] - reminds you to push DEL to enter BIOS options
..Chassis Intrusion [Disabled] unless you use this feature with your case

Security
all settings left at default

FOOTNOTES

1) There is a small bug in every version of the M3A32-MVP Deluxe BIOS that UNDER-volts your input. At 1.3V in BIOS, read with any software application (not including AOD) - it will be 1.28V, and the difference increases with the increase in voltage.
2) Isochronous Flow-Control Mode: This has to do with how information is passed between the CPU, the GPU and the RAM along the NorthBridge. It has been a part of the BIOS for HT since AGP 8X, but the option to enable or disable it is a fairly recent addition. When this option is enabled, it assigns the information a number, in the order it was received. Each bit of information is then processed in that order along the route. In toher words, there is no loss of information, but the processing in this orderly manner has drawbacks. If you choose to enable this feature, you will also need to enable UnitID Clumping and then under PCI-E COnfiguraiton and the NB-SB section of the BIOS, VC1 needs to be enabled as well.
3) UnitID Clumping: Simply put, it accounts for not all devices being equally quick at processing information. This allows each device to support a longer waiting line. VC1 accounts for a major drawback of Isochronous Flow-Control mode in that the flow control mode does not allow any information to break line. Everything must wait it's turn. Therefore, if one piece of info is intended for the CPU and in front of it is info the for GPU, the info for the GPU needs to be processed before the CPU info is processed; plus, if there is a waiting line of info to be processed onthe GPU, the CPU info is held up all that much longer. VC1 comes to the rescue by letting the CPU info break line, bypassing the GPU info jam to join the CPU info queue.
4) Tristating (in all forms): Tristating is a power saving feature in addition to ASPM linking. Whatever sections you want to enable Tristate in, you reduce the energy needed to run that area, but the downside is that you also reduce that area's performance.
5) 2xLCLK: This setting only affects HT 3.0, so Phenom's may benefit from it while with Athlon's, it just does not apply. LCLK stands for Latency Clock. The 2x means that instead of one full bandwidth HT Link you are requesting two half bandwidth HT Links. For performance, at times it is better to have a two lane highway; traffic flowing in both directions at the same time along the same strip of asphalt at 50mph, than it is to have a single lane highway along the same strip of asphalt with traffic lights controlling the directional flow at 100mph.

Hopefully, there's enough information there to get some of you going, and certainly enough to read more than once, pulling something new each time it's read.

Good luck to all! If there is any information that needs to be changed, added or removed, please pm me and I will take care of it.

Psychlone

Please do not quote my entire post in any posts with questions/comments - it's far too long to keep seeing over and over in quoted posts...

Came across this thread and surprised no one has replied. Good job putting it together, bound to help some AMD Phenom neophytes. Sticky maybe?

Here's what's possible with a good stepping and this guide:
(all stability tests were run BEFORE validating any CPUz...)

show_oc.php

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=391337

show_oc.php

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=391343

show_oc.php

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=391344

Even though I'm *mostly* stable (Orthos StressPrime, blend, priority10 - BSOD about 10 minutes after 8 hours) at 3.51GHz, it's far too hot due to 1.45V and summer (I suspect that this may end up being my winter 24/7 overclock)

I started at 3.15GHz at 1.32V, then restarted my entire overclock from scratch, ending up with a very good overclock of 3.41GHz, then 3.485GHz (which is where I'll stay because of the 1.375V it takes to get here vs. the highest stable at 3.51GHz with 1.45V)

I've passed double instances of Orthos Stressprime blend at priority10 for 24 hours at 3.485GHz several days ago. This CPU is really kicking butt now! It took a bit for the AS5 to cure, but it's now running at 3.485GHz at 46*C idle and 55*C full load...(full load at 3.51GHz was 63*C - too high to be all the time, but again, stable at that speed)

I seriously can't wait until the new 780G boards come out - at which point, after some experience with it, I'll update the guide to reflect any changes that pertain to the new chipset.

Psychlone

Huh...I suppose that all that info is wasted here at [H]... it's made sticky status on 3 other forums though.

If I were to guess, this information is trivial to anyone who already knows how to overclock a Phenom and the M3A32-MVP (or any other AM2+ CPU and motherboard) - but certainly it's got to have *some* value to those that don't know the secrets...

Psychlone

This definitely has some value, and thanks for taking the time. I'm just waiting for the 45nm Phenom's before I do another AMD build... my last one was sabotaged by a DOA Asus M3A32-MVP, so I gave up and decided to wait a while for the 45nm guys to come out.

Very good guide. Thanks!

Perhaps clean it up slightly with some larger and colored headings for sub-sections, or put them in a quote box to highlight important steps. =)

I'd like to see some info on using ACC on the new 790GX/790FX with the 750SB. I've noticed a 6 degree drop in temp with 4% ACC set in the BIOS.

Huh...I suppose that all that info is wasted here at [H]... it's made sticky status on 3 other forums though.

If I were to guess, this information is trivial to anyone who already knows how to overclock a Phenom and the M3A32-MVP (or any other AM2+ CPU and motherboard) - but certainly it's got to have *some* value to those that don't know the secrets...

Psychlone

Psychlone... i have a gigabyte matx ga-m78sm-s2h with a fsb of 2600mhz using with a am2+ phenom 9750 2.4hz / 2 gig 1066 g skill . to monitor HT i use cpuz and it shows 1900-1980hz i know im doin somethin wrong i cant get the full 2600hz fsb (cpu @ 2.625)...need help:confused:
great guide!

Psychlone... i have a gigabyte matx ga-m78sm-s2h with a fsb of 2600mhz using with a am2+ phenom 9750 2.4hz / 2 gig 1066 g skill . to monitor HT i use cpuz and it shows 1900-1980hz i know im doin somethin wrong i cant get the full 2600hz fsb (cpu @ 2.625)...need help:confused:
great guide!

Sounds like a motherboard bug - The M3A32-MVP and the newer M3A79-T versions )no experience with any "G/GX" chipsets) BOTH have a bug that won't run the HT at what you set in BIOS - you have just as much chance running close to your NB speeds with the HT set to AUTO as set manually to any specific setting...

HT is still a multiple of the FSB - it's just locked at 10X unless you try to increase it via BIOS (of which, there are BIOS' out there that have the actual multiplier adjustment like for the NB, but most of us have a MHZ adjustment - which really equates to 10X, 11X, 12X, etc. if you do the math)

Aside from AMD Overdrive, there's no way to actually guarantee that you're going to run any specific HT setting...so far, it's the only program that I know of that can write those registers, and it's lost as soon as you shut down your computer, it goes to sleep, or looses focus for some reason (like having to restart the VGA runtime will sometimes actually make this setting useless.

Pretty much all you/we can hope for - is a BIOS upgrade that actually *sticks* the setting(s) that we make. (sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear)

Psychlone

Sounds like a motherboard bug - The M3A32-MVP and the newer M3A79-T versions )no experience with any "G/GX" chipsets) BOTH have a bug that won't run the HT at what you set in BIOS - you have just as much chance running close to your NB speeds with the HT set to AUTO as set manually to any specific setting...

HT is still a multiple of the FSB - it's just locked at 10X unless you try to increase it via BIOS (of which, there are BIOS' out there that have the actual multiplier adjustment like for the NB, but most of us have a MHZ adjustment - which really equates to 10X, 11X, 12X, etc. if you do the math)

Aside from AMD Overdrive, there's no way to actually guarantee that you're going to run any specific HT setting...so far, it's the only program that I know of that can write those registers, and it's lost as soon as you shut down your computer, it goes to sleep, or looses focus for some reason (like having to restart the VGA runtime will sometimes actually make this setting useless.

Pretty much all you/we can hope for - is a BIOS upgrade that actually *sticks* the setting(s) that we make. (sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear)

Psychlone
thx a lot for the info...great sticky! Psychlone

Any idea what the default "CPU HT", "NB PCIe" and "NB Core" voltages are? Are they the same on all X4's or do the higher models use higher voltages for those? (the 9750 and faster do use higher VCore than 9650, just wondering if the same is true for any of the other voltages).

What are safe values to try? Why is this information impossible to find online?

I have the crummiest Phenom 9600 made. It won't overclock more than 80MHz over stock, no matter how much voltage (and lower HTT multiplier and memory divider) and better cooling I give it. :( I was willing to blame the first motherboard (although it overclocks X2 CPUs fine), but after testing it in Abit and Gigabyte boards it does the same thing. Bleh.

I have the crummiest Phenom 9600 made. It won't overclock more than 80MHz over stock, no matter how much voltage (and lower HTT multiplier and memory divider) and better cooling I give it. :( I was willing to blame the first motherboard (although it overclocks X2 CPUs fine), but after testing it in Abit and Gigabyte boards it does the same thing. Bleh.

I guess the yields keep improving for AMD. My more recent 9650 is currently at 2.6 GHz/226MHz FSB at 1.28V. Not sure I want to go much higher with my 0.25C/W cooler.

I guess the yields keep improving for AMD. My more recent 9650 is currently at 2.6 GHz/226MHz FSB at 1.28V. Not sure I want to go much higher with my 0.25C/W cooler.
I tried another motherboard (AMD 690V this time) and that one managed to finally overclock the CPU. It's testing at 2.6GHz, stock voltage. I need to see how stable it is at that speed. The other 3 boards I tried were all nforce-based, but overclocked X2 CPUs just fine.

edit: 2.6GHz worked fine for a couple of hours with the stock heatsink, but failed overnight. Round 2: Freezer 64 Pro is now testing. But it's looking encouraging despite the lack of voltage control on this Gigabyte board.

thanks, managed to get an extra 500GHz and will go further once i have more cooling :)

(running at 55*c on a BRAND NEW SYSTEM :( )

Psychlone

Psychlone,

Never undervalue the collection of information into a clear and cohesive guide. There are always people getting into or in my case back into OC'ing and this guide is invaluable since as MB's have gotten more open to OC'ing the number of tweaks has gotten out of control. It is great and you should be pleased.

Thanks!

So I'm new to overclocking, and with my luck maybe I shouldn't try, but I have a Phenom 9850 that I've been trying to squeeze a little extra out of. I've been having troubles getting it to stay stable after boot though.

I was aiming for somewhere around 2.7 or 2.8 ghz and I can get both these speeds and have the computer boot-up without a hitch every time, but at above 2.8 it freezes when loading into vista and at 2.7 it will have random applications fail to respond and then freeze at a random point.

I tried pulling it off to 2.6 and for some reason the only trouble I had was messenger would crash every time I logged in. I've tried running these by setting the fsb at 200 and setting the multplier accordingly and I've tried it with the fsb at 210. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything cause I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing.

I have noticed that regardless of my increase of the voltage in the bios, AMD Overdrive always reads my CPU voltage at the original 1.3 and CPU-Z reads my cpu core voltage as 1.232.

Pheniox ,, uninstall AOD and try Overclocking again .

The Reg may be messed up from AOD install. It happens some times when one try's to Raise Volts and or Multis in AOD and it dosnt raise the voltage .Also try setting Volts in Bios No AOD.

I Never Overclock with AOD..Its not that great unless you already know what your CPU can Do in Bios. I always over clock the old school way by using 100% Bios. AOD does come in handy To trick sytem into higher Volts( Advaned Users Know what i mean) but i merly use it to review my overall Overclock and basic settings.

Hey Psychlone,,very Nice AM2+Phenom thread;)

Psychlone

As for the M3A 79-T .. It will easily Clock 2600+HT = 5200. Ive owned one from day One pushed it to the very limit with Volts and FSB and then Some...Even using a crummy 140watt CPU.:D

HIGH_HT2670_NB2670_3604mhz.jpg

Jebus 1.7V+? Im usually saying fuck 24/7 voltages but god damm.

Is that only running 1 core? Since core temp only shows 1 temp or what? Are you hiding something? :p

Jebus 1.7V+? Im usually saying fuck 24/7 voltages but god damm.

Is that only running 1 core? Since core temp only shows 1 temp or what? Are you hiding something? :p

Thats real volts. 1.74v on the CPU and 1.66v on the NB..@ 3.55ghz and 2740nb :D

2740nbB3_3562mhz.jpg

AOD0701M3A79Tbios.jpg

maxcomputer001.jpg

Haaa my 3870x2 On Stock cooler no Vmods. I just installed MX-2 paste thats it.

Max9870x2_3537mhz9950.jpg

MAXHTT293_602BIOS.jpg

3520with1_68v.jpg

I only used AOD to show the Volts and clock settings.. i use Bios to Overclock ,, I will not use AOD to OC.

My Voltage really is 1.74v
AOD reports it as 1.45 for CPU and NB..:D

As you know there are several ways to oc a CHIP. Look at my HT/NB/HTT in all screens and youll see what i mean. Take the time to learn your system and watch the volts and temps. That is key to stability

One thing that bugs me about the argument that [H] is all about max performance, no matter the price, is their very favorable review of a very average-joe video card, the 9600GT.

The best thing that can be said about the MSI N9600GT 512M OC is the price; it can be found on Newegg for $140 after a mail-in rebate. In Crysis the MSI N9600GT 512M OC offers a similar gameplay experience to a GeForce 8800 GT, though in other games the 8800 GT has the performance advantage. If you’ve got the cash to spare, spring for the 8800 GT, otherwise if $150 is your budget, you are not likely t find a better video card value.

If you're of the opinion that [H] is all about performance parts, then you'd think that the 9600GT would have gotten a "it has less performance than last year's part (the 8800GT), and therefore is a disappointment" review. As you're all well aware, the 9600GT delivered good (but not stelllar) performance for games, at a fair price. And it was duly recognized by [H]. Why can't the Phenom 2 have a similar review???? In my opinion, the Phenom 2 also delivers solid performance (and an unlocked multi in the case of the BE) for a fair price. Just because it isn't the top of the line doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in this enthusiast community.

Pheniox ,, uninstall AOD and try Overclocking again .

The Reg may be messed up from AOD install. It happens some times when one try's to Raise Volts and or Multis in AOD and it dosnt raise the voltage .Also try setting Volts in Bios No AOD.

I Never Overclock with AOD..Its not that great unless you already know what your CPU can Do in Bios. I always over clock the old school way by using 100% Bios. AOD does come in handy To trick sytem into higher Volts( Advaned Users Know what i mean) but i merly use it to review my overall Overclock and basic settings.

I was overclocking through the bios, being new it made me feel safer rather than cranking settings up while already running the computer. I was only using AOD to view settings. AOD and cpu-z both show different voltages for my processor though so I'm not even sure which one to believe.

One thing that bugs me about the argument that [H] is all about max performance, no matter the price, is their very favorable review of a very average-joe video card, the 9600GT.

If you're of the opinion that [H] is all about performance parts, then you'd think that the 9600GT would have gotten a "it has less performance than last year's part (the 8800GT), and therefore is a disappointment" review. As you're all well aware, the 9600GT delivered good (but not stelllar) performance for games, at a fair price. And it was duly recognized by [H]. Why can't the Phenom 2 have a similar review???? In my opinion, the Phenom 2 also delivers solid performance (and an unlocked multi in the case of the BE) for a fair price. Just because it isn't the top of the line doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in this enthusiast community.

Actually, to me anyway, Kyle's review of the P2 940 wasn't bad but it was that he didn't use 4GB's of DDR2 or DDR3to even it up a bit with the i7 920, and even running the 2GB's of DDR2 the P2 940 did very well.

Kyle's other review of the X3 720 did use DDR3 and it did show a small performance gain (2 to maybe 7%), and it was an unbiased review IMHO, a good review, and Kyle stated that he and others were impressed with the X3 720, and that the price was good. I think that perhaps Kyle's first review of the X4 940 was rushed and {H} did not have an AM3+ mobo with DDR3 RAM then as they later did for the X3 7750.

The whole idea and purpose of OCing is to spend less for a cheaper, slower/inferior CPU/system and OC it to higher performance levels.

Has anyone entertained the idea of keeping a database of cpu overclocks like we used to do around here ages ago?

Thank You, Thank You Thank You! ! ! Bought my M3A32-MVP last August and immediateLy had serious famiLy issues which interupted my buiLd. when i was abLe to restart in December, the board prived bad(arrgghh). i popuLated a gigabyte board with aLL the stuff and then rma'd the M3A32. I recieved it in mid March (after FedEx deLivered it to my cabLe company?!?) but havent had the time/money to buy aLL nu stuff for it. Your info is so "spot On" i'm LIteraLLy GiDDy jus waitin to put to use. If your interested i'LL hOPefuLLy be postining in about a month with the outcome. Thanks again! It's exactLy what i needed to get started!

I played with a 9650 x4 a bit and didn't have enough time to really get the most. I got it to a measly 2.6 undervolting a bit. I'm sure it can go higher but I dont have a great cooler, the old opteron coolers, and I don't use it heavily.

My question is... how does the memory work in conjuncture to the cpu? Back in the days we could OC the CPU and the mem would follow... For example 210 fsb was 210mhz for memory. It was always best to run 1:1. Does it differ on Phenoms? Or is this irrelevant?

My mem can do 533 5 5 5, haven't tested for more, and was wondering how it worked when the cpu was at 200 "fsb". I tried looking for info but no one really touches on this.

Also AMD was better with tight timings over MHZ - has this changed? would the mem be better off running 400mhz at 4 4 4 over 533Mhz at 5 5 5? Well, with that bump in Mhz it probably is the same :p but you get the question. ;)

I also noticed that HT isn't like before. Back in the day it really didn't offer much performance increase. Now it does? So that is a tad weird for me as well. Been at Intel for a while and had the chance to play with an x4.

I played with a 9650 x4 a bit and didn't have enough time to really get the most. I got it to a measly 2.6 undervolting a bit. I'm sure it can go higher but I dont have a great cooler, the old opteron coolers, and I don't use it heavily.

My question is... how does the memory work in conjuncture to the cpu? Back in the days we could OC the CPU and the mem would follow... For example 210 fsb was 210mhz for memory. It was always best to run 1:1. Does it differ on Phenoms? Or is this irrelevant?

My mem can do 533 5 5 5, haven't tested for more, and was wondering how it worked when the cpu was at 200 "fsb". I tried looking for info but no one really touches on this.

Also AMD was better with tight timings over MHZ - has this changed? would the mem be better off running 400mhz at 4 4 4 over 533Mhz at 5 5 5? Well, with that bump in Mhz it probably is the same :p but you get the question. ;)

I also noticed that HT isn't like before. Back in the day it really didn't offer much performance increase. Now it does? So that is a tad weird for me as well. Been at Intel for a while and had the chance to play with an x4.

Loose High Freqency ram and Raising the NB over Stock yield the Best AMD performance on Phenom1 and PhenomII

great guide. looking forward to OC'n my gf's Phenom II x3 720 in the near future. lol

Back