Official NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Announcement @ [H]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the hype for the 480 launch and now the 1060, the biggest takeaway I've gleaned from this is how poorly the 980 has aged. The benchmarks being used for comparison to say something is "better" than a 980 also have the 980 being just 1-2% faster than a stock 390. Not a 390x, just a 390.

For all the hype for the 480 launch and now the 1060, the biggest takeaway I've gleaned from this is how poorly the 980 has aged. The benchmarks being used for comparison to say something is "better" than a 980 also have the 980 being just 1-2% faster than a stock 390. Not a 390x, just a 390.
rhtWPhS.png

They test like 20 games. Notice how the 390 and 390x are very close to each other? And how the 980 is just below a 390x, and the 480 is just below it ?

A 980 Strix is a good 10% faster on average, than a 390x

AMD Radeon RX 480 im Test (Seite 5)

They're all more than enough for 1080p, at least for whatever they're testing there...

I applaud your restraint, sir. You're in for a magical experience when you do finally pull that trigger, whatever you get. :)

I know, I'm stoked! I have the "if it ain't broke" mindset. Then, if it does break I try to fix it. While playing the new order, my card died. I baked it... Twice. It has been working great since then! I'll definitely post a comparison though, I'm sure others are in a similar boat as me.

I know, I'm stoked! I have the "if it ain't broke" mindset. Then, if it does break I try to fix it. While playing the new order, my card died. I baked it... Twice. It has been working great since then! I'll definitely post a comparison though, I'm sure others are in a similar boat as me.

I have had no luck baking parts. I have tried a motherboard and graphics card. Put them in the oven for around 6-8 minutes and caps always fall off.

rhtWPhS.png

They test like 20 games. Notice how the 390 and 390x are very close to each other? And how the 980 is just below a 390x, and the 480 is just below it ?

A 980 Strix is a good 10% faster on average, than a 390x

AMD Radeon RX 480 im Test (Seite 5)

So...a card that is still going for ~$400 is on average 8% better than a $300 card? I'm pretty sure that all of the marketing statements about performance *from both sides* were not referencing a strix when saying something is nearly as fast or faster than a 980.

The point is that because the baseline 980 was so...underclocked, I guess, it devalues the descriptor "faster than a 980". In reality, that doesn't mean much these days. Anything that has sold for ~$300 in the last year is pretty close to or faster than a "980", be that 390 or 970. Saying something is faster than an OC'd 980 is a very different statement (and one that neither side is making about their new products).

The firestrike results that are being batted around as preliminary performance numbers for marketing have the 480 (12779), 1060 (13215) and 980 (13148) all being slower than my 390 (13337). Now when push came to shove, benchmarking showed the 480 to not quite be on par to a 390, but it was close enough to say they weren't exaggerating. I fully expect the 1060 to land a lot closer to the "meh" 980 than the "wow" 980.

Edit: The 390 score I dropped in there for comparison is my 24/7 clock. I could get another 55MHz out of the core, but my power consumption goes through the roof to get it there and keep it stable. I settled on a nice sedate 10% OC without having to bump voltage or power limit. It pulls around 220W and peaks around 84 degrees, where my max OC was drawing nearly 280W and reaching almost 90 degrees with fans at 100%. The max OC score was 13547.

Last edited:
That's not fps, that's performance across all 20+ games, normalized wrt rx480
Still, except for around the 380X down, for almost every game it was about 60fps average or more at 1080p (with the 480 hitting or exceeding 60fps in most cases). Yeah, the other cards were faster, but they were pretty much all more than enough for 1080p.

Gotta love that Nvidia marketing ...
"starting at $249" translation: Nvidia does not have a gpu to compete in the $250 segment, so we will pretend like an aib 1060 with superior cooling performance is going to sell for less than the crappy blower cooled $300 founders edition.

Expect wide availability of $250 cards before October (SARCASM)

I expect this to be a $300 card until at least October when supply finally picks up

Last edited:

I was a year ago. And you'll be making an even bigger jump than I did (7870 to 390). Right now, there isn't anything out there that makes me want to jump on it. From what I'm hearing though, I may be jumping on the next titan bandwagon, if it does actually release with the rumored specs.

I have had no luck baking parts. I have tried a motherboard and graphics card. Put them in the oven for around 6-8 minutes and caps always fall off.

You must of baked them too hot. Also, whenever I do it, I put it in the cold oven, then turn on the oven. I've also baked my ps3 a couple of times. It is only used for Netflix now, because in games, I'll get spikes of textures randomly. I tried a laptop mobo in the past and one of the caps actually expanded. It didn't work, so far the only failure that I've had...

I was a year ago. And you'll be making an even bigger jump than I did (7870 to 390). Right now, there isn't anything out there that makes me want to jump on it. From what I'm hearing though, I may be jumping on the next titan bandwagon, if it does actually release with the rumored specs.

If the baking didn't work, I would of definitely upgraded last year. I would be excited for the Titan, but I'm betting that Nvidia will release the Titan, then a few months later, the 1080ti which will outperform the Titan. Maybe if the Titan wasn't over-priced.

It'll be another week, word on the street is the embargo is up on the 19th, release day.

Well at least one game that the RX 480 will spank the 1060 and that is Doom using Vulkan. Hey Nvidia used Doom with Vulcan on the launch event bragging about how fast you can OC Pascal and maintain 65c which was not the case with thermal throttling. Well let see if that bragging will continue with the 1060.

3GB is pretty much useless these days ...
I might buy a 3GB 1060 to replace the GTX 970 that's running along side my GTX 1080 right now. Not for SLI or anything, just to push pixels to the four other monitors I have surrounding my 4K gaming display.

The GTX 970 drives them just fine, but it's idling along at 64C just three slots away from my GTX 1080, which idles at under 40C. I just want to get the heat load out of the case, and a 3GB GTX 1060 would do that.

It'll be another week, word on the street is the embargo is up on the 19th, release day.
I was hoping it would be a week before like some of the other launches, but at is exactly what A,D did with the 480 so I guess that's the sub $300 'standard' now

Regardless, I'm now debating if a 1060 would be enough to power my system at 1080p144hz. I was thinking I'd need the extra fire power of 1070 to help make up for my older processor, but am not so sure now...

A 2ghz 1080 is 10.25tflop, 1070 at same clock is 7.6tflop

Rx480 is 6tflop at 1300mhz

If LinkedIn 'leak' is to be believed the Vega 10 chip will have 4096 alu, assuming 1200mhz 9.8tflops

1060 is 5.1 at 2ghz, it won't be besting the rx480 when the rx480 can fully utilize it's shader array

Gp106 would have been killer with two more SMs

Maybe it is a GTX1050?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Edit: Kind of impressive to think that something roughly akin in power and spec to a 780 would be rolling in barely needing a power connector and selling for ~$200 just over three years after the debut of the 780 at $650. Ah, progress. :)

Last edited:
This is my case as well. I have a gtx 570, a phenom ii x4 955, and 8gb of ddr2 ram...

i almost upgraded last year, but I was still able to play games just fine. I got Soma this year and couldn't enjoy it @ 1080. Same with Doom. So that is why I'm upgrading finally. Video card first, then the rest after that. I'm still waiting to see AMD's next offering to see if it is competitive with intel.

But there will be soon time where cpu starts holding you back to be honest.

This is my case as well. I have a gtx 570, a phenom ii x4 955, and 8gb of ddr2 ram...

i almost upgraded last year, but I was still able to play games just fine. I got Soma this year and couldn't enjoy it @ 1080. Same with Doom. So that is why I'm upgrading finally. Video card first, then the rest after that. I'm still waiting to see AMD's next offering to see if it is competitive with intel.

But there will be soon time where cpu starts holding you back to be honest.
I imagine that CPU is bottlenecking already, so even upgrading the gpu may not be quite enough.

I still can't believe the 980 TI's haven't fallen to $300 range yet, even for used ones. If the 1060 = 980ti then I think I'll just go that route from my 970. I like the 1070 but $399 is the cheapest (NIB) we've seen yet. I did see an open box 1070 for $379 at MC but didn't bite. $250 is much more palatable.

970 is actually fine for the most part, it just struggles in 1440p sometimes. Honestly I don't "need" anything better... just "want".

I still can't believe the 980 TI's haven't fallen to $300 range yet, even for used ones. If the 1060 = 980ti then I think I'll just go that route from my 970. I like the 1070 but $399 is the cheapest (NIB) we've seen yet. I did see an open box 1070 for $379 at MC but didn't bite. $250 is much more palatable.

970 is actually fine for the most part, it just struggles in 1440p sometimes. Honestly I don't "need" anything better... just "want".

The 1060 supposedly run on par with a GTX980 not a Ti

The 1060 supposedly is 980 level not 980Ti

Give it a month or two and the prices will come down to reasonable levels, they might even tank when the 1060 releases.

1060 should (with a salt shaker) be closer to a 980 non-Ti. If you're looking to get 980 Ti performance using a Pascal-based card, you need to look at a 1070 (stock vs. stock).

So the 1060 replaces 980 and the 1070 replaces 980ti

Not too shabby either way you go. I wonder how in stock they'll be. I think the 1060 is going to sell the most at its price point.

So the 1060 replaces 980 and the 1070 replaces 980ti

Not too shabby either way you go. I wonder how in stock they'll be. I think the 1060 is going to sell the most at its price point.

GTX970 outsold and still outsells GTX960. Personally I think GTX1070 will be the new record holder. We see users moving up the SKU chain. Next months steam result should give us the first indicator on how its going.

As expected, 5-10% better while perf/watt is superb. Its a pure win card.

No SLi. Very limiting when upgrading later on when a budget enthusiast would want a second card for more performance.

No SLi. Very limiting when upgrading later on when a budget enthusiast would want a second card for more performance.

How many GTX 960 SLI owners do you know? If you know 3 you know them all.

No surprises there, wasn't there leaked images of the card that showed no SLI connections? That has been around for a little while.

But, given the large increment between a 960 and a 1060 right now, I'd argue that even without the 1060 SLI, going to 1060 is better than going 960 SLI, even with discounted 960 prices.

How many GTX 960 SLI owners do you know? If you know 3 you know them all.

I've seen plenty of gamers looking for a second card at a later date for Crossfire / SLi when the new generation of cards is about to release. I did it for the AMD 7000 series and enjoyed Watch Dogs performance with Crossfire. Then later on I found an incredible deal on this R9 290 and switched to this. I still have the old cards sitting here and used them in a HTPC build. Going to donate one to my 10 y.o. niece.

I even bought GTX 460 SLi on day one to see how SLi was.

So yes, budget minded gamers will add a second card at a later date.

No surprises there, wasn't there leaked images of the card that showed no SLI connections? That has been around for a little while.

But, given the large increment between a 960 and a 1060 right now, I'd argue that even without the 1060 SLI, going to 1060 is better than going 960 SLI, even with discounted 960 prices.

I'm not saying that 960 SLi is a good thing with the 1060 out. I'm saying that the fact the GTX 1060 is missing SLi is a bad thing because gamers should have options for upgrading later on.

Maybe I'm weird and think differently. ;)

X60 landscape changed significantly since Maxwell.

To quote myself before, the difference between a single 760 and a single 780, at the time they were released, was smaller than the difference between 960 and 970.

So back then, it did make some sense in SLI'ing X60 since the performance difference isn't that big and SLI can cover it.

Maxwell was the first time it can no longer do that.

However, this is all speaking from relative performance wise, in absolute performance terms, it does make sense to some. But given that mGPU support with the latest games is waning, I'd say 1060 SLI loss may not sound as harsh then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back