Official NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Announcement @ [H]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Official NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Announcement - While many industry insiders were not expecting to see the new GeForce GTX 1060 Pascal based video card until August, NVIDIA has decided that the market is ripe for its newest "mid-level" GPU, the GP106. And if you think NVIDIA may not have its ducks all in line, reviewers already have Founders Edition samples in hand.

14678415085toLFcilQY_1_7.jpg

Last edited:
The comments about AIB availability at launch is interesting and make me hopeful about 1060 pricing being closer to the $249 MSRP. If they can reach nearly the same price level with more performance then this battle will be a joy to witness!

Looks like no SLI support as there are not bridges on top. NVIDIA has not yet confirmed, but that would be my assumption.

Will we be seeing a head to head 1080 and 1440 comparison between this and the 480? Right now.... damn it might be a close call. Will just have a wait and see for the review...

Looks great. GP106 also confirmed now. Rumours about an extreme cutdown GP104 can be put to rest.

For SLI, well it had to happen. GP104 was already cut to 2 cards. Its just a technology slowly on the way out.

Is there any sort of NDA, or should we be expecting a flood of benchmarks from various places as soon as the driver is released?
Yes, there is an NDA as to GTX 1060 reviews. I am sure that date will leak soon, as well as benchmarks since the driver is due out today.

Will we be seeing a head to head 1080 and 1440 comparison between this and the 480? Right now.... damn it might be a close call.
I would highly suggest that since we have seen only a $20 to $30 price difference in between the 1060 and RX 480.

Will we be seeing a head to head 1080 and 1440 comparison between this and the 480? Right now.... damn it might be a close call. Will just have a wait and see for the review...

If they are saying this card out performs a 980 (and if it is true) then I don't see how it would be close with a 480? The 480 is basically on par with GTX970 performance.

If I could get one with a blower fan for $250 I might bite to tide me over until I get something better. But not paying $300 for a 1060 FE.

Looks great. GP106 also confirmed now. Rumours about an extreme cutdown GP104 can be put to rest.

For SLI, well it had to happen. GP104 was already cut to 2 cards. Its just a technology slowly on the way out.

id like to see a die shot. it wouldnt be the first time a gpu mfg lied to us.

Reactions: Ronin
like this
Wow 980 level performance at 120 watts? AMD is definitely in trouble. I'm all for competition but the 480 is @970 level performance and it pulls 150 watts (officially, not OC'ed).

Couple quick questions, not sure if there's enough info out yet to answer but...

If the reference model doesn't have SLI is that something that can be added to an AIB card or is it something that has been removed at the core level?

If these cards don't have SLI capabilities will they still work with DX12s multi card functionality in games that will support it?

Damnit and now the wait on reviews begins again. I was heavily leaning towards the RX480 but if this is $20 $30 more and performs at or above a 980 there would be no point.

Will there be just one version of the 1060? I mean no 3gb variant

I think releasing any video card with less than 4GB would be marketing suicide in this day and age, but you never know. The 4GB RX 480 was released in such limited quantities that I don't think anyone has seen one, yet, and it still physically has 8GB on the PCB.

So it's true, no 3 GB version that everyone and their mama hinted/rumored at. Guess that's a good idea, wouldn't make honest sense to put a 3 GB card of this level out.

The cost of an extra 3GB of RAM these days is pennies compared to the possible backlash if their product falls on its face for a key marketing point (3D support). If 3D was not a thing at all these days...they still might put out a 4GB card since this is really focused at the 1080p crowd with high visuals or 1440p crowd with low visuals which comes in around 4GB of VRAM needed.

I'll probably put one of these in my wife's PC and toss her 970 in a close friend's PC who is running an R9 280. Not a huge upgrade for either but both will draw less power. My wife plays at 1440p so the extra oomph is worthwhile here for the money. Can't wait to see the actual benchmarks.

IMO putting out a sub 4gb card directly compete with their prior stock of products still on shelves

Nice card, it will be interesting what it can OC to, but a little pricey considering 3GB and possibly 6GB of memory is useless going forward. However 120W TDP! wow, I think the RX480 must have a real TDP of about 170W. Just goes to show that a designed in China, die shrunk Hawaii XT core with a few tweaks and bolt-ons is not the way to go in 2016 if you want to be efficient.

I could almost cry for AMD right now, they seem only capable of shooting themselves in the foot with each product release. I just don't see how they can compete with nVidia any more, especially if nVidia release a 1050 for $150.

2017 has to be AMD's year, or they will go bankrupt in 2018.

Last edited:
very interesting. Once this is out and AMD (hopefully) does some fixes with the 480 (today??) it will be certainly interesting to see what is the best bang for your buck. Always rooting for competition, but always end up going with whatever makes the most sense.

// though maybe i don't have any... still waiting on building a new rig. my crossfire 5770's really don't do much anymore ;)

Damnit and now the wait on reviews begins again. I was heavily leaning towards the RX480 but if this is $20 $30 more and performs at or above a 980 there would be no point.

And then once the reviews come out we can wait more for the cards to be released. Then we wait again on availability. Then the wait for prices to level out... I love waiting for wait.:banghead::banghead::mad:

Great news!

Now too bad about SLI if the case, still be interested on the question dealing with EMA though making SLI or CFX more past technology then future. As always I would be more interested in DX 12 game testing such as Warhammer and Hitman against the 480/980 etc. Also if the 480 can be a non-reference one would make for some interesting read.

And then once the reviews come out we can wait more for the cards to be released. Then we wait again on availability. Then the wait for prices to level out... I love waiting for wait.:banghead::banghead::mad:
Well depending how good the 1060 is you maybe be able to find shelves stacked full of 480's ;)

I wonder if the newly pumped up sub $300 GPU capabilities of AMD and NVDA will actually expand the PC gamer market, not just shift market share between the same pool of gamers...

Great stuff, glad I didn't buy a 970 a few months ago :)

So 1060 supply will be ramped up? Looks like we are still going to have to wait till August. And in a sense they admitted issues with 1070/1080 supply ramping up. Looks like lots of cut down chips are coming in. They can't hold on to em too long lol cuz of rx480.

They need to sell em all! Lol

So 1060 supply will be ramped up? Looks like we are still going to have to wait till August. And in a sense they admitted issues with 1070/1080 supply ramping up. Looks like lots of cut down chips are coming in. They can't hold on to em too long lol cuz of rx480.

They need to sell em all! Lol

The bigger the die, the less die per wafer and the higher chance of failure. Last time I checked, the rule of thumb was for every 10% increase in die size resulted in a factor of 2x yield reduction for newer geometry sizes. Well established geometries are much closer to parity, but still you have a better chance of losing a larger die vs a smaller die.

Yeap, let me buy one, so AMD can die sooner and we will then be at Nvidia's complete mercy.

AT $300 FE that's cutting it damn close to 1070 non FE at $379

"MSRP will start at $249." for non FE - since this is starting point $249 will be 3GB Card...Extrapolating....

~$300 for NON FE 6GB?
~$300 for FE 3GB?

For that kind of money they better deliver some serious performance bumps over a RX480 8 gig. (at least 25% for a Non-FE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back