Official NVIDIA Ampere In-Stock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to get an evga 3070 just to get in the step up queue for a 3080. I don't think you can do that second hand though. Good luck finding a worthy purchaser.

The 3080 queue hasn't moved at all. I've been on that queue since December and still have no notification. My other 3070 got stepped up within a month when I picked the 3090 instead.

The 3080 queue hasn't moved at all. I've been on that queue since December and still have no notification. My other 3070 got stepped up within a month when I picked the 3090 instead.
Yep, if you step-up queue at all, its gotta be for a 3090 which is a fast track. The only shot a step-up to 3080 might have for fulfillment in this lifetime is if a bunch of people somehow pull out of that queue and jump to 3080 Ti (which would be extremely foolish, IMO).

Would love to get an evga 3070 just to get in the step up queue for a 3080. I don't think you can do that second hand though. Good luck finding a worthy purchaser.

Yep, if you step-up queue at all, its gotta be for a 3090 which is a fast track. The only shot a step-up to 3080 might have for fulfillment in this lifetime is if a bunch of people somehow pull out of that queue and jump to 3080 Ti (which would be extremely foolish, IMO).

Wait, are you saying I can step this 3070 up to a 3080 or even a 3090? All of a sudden I'm feeling decidedly less Jesus-like....

Wait, are you saying I can step this 3070 up to a 3080 or even a 3090? All of a sudden I'm feeling decidedly less Jesus-like....

Only if you are the original purchaser and are within 90 days of purchase. You don't step up right away you just wait in a different queue to get a new card and pay the difference. They don't treat it like a trade in so you end up paying tax on the full amount again. And God help you if you had your friend pick it up and their name is on the receipt. They (EVGA) basically accused me of trying to steal from them.

Only if you are the original purchaser and are within 90 days of purchase. You don't step up right away you just wait in a different queue to get a new card and pay the difference. They don't treat it like a trade in so you end up paying tax on the full amount again. And God help you if you had your friend pick it up and their name is on the receipt. They (EVGA) basically accused me of trying to steal from them.

I don't recall but I assume my past self registered for 3080 and 3090 model notifications as well so I'm probably already in those queues. Doesn't seem like the step up would do me any good.

I don't recall but I assume my past self registered for 3080 and 3090 model notifications as well so I'm probably already in those queues. Doesn't seem like the step up would do me any good.

Hard to say they are very tight-lipped about how they allocate product in the queue system but they are definitely two different queues.

Hadn't heard that in a while...

I entered the shuffle for the 5800X and 3070 and didn't even get any notification that I lost or won anything. I even registered my phone number for the notification.

Haha, that's what I was thinking of too!

Also 0/23

Aha! Perhaps there is an unlucky gamer chap in this very thread who despite vigorous effort has not yet procured a RTX card? If there is such an individual whom a quorum can vouch for, willing to solemnly swear on scout's honor it won't flipped, and has a lot of trade feedback please step forth!
If you do decide to sell I would love this card and I'll promise not to flip. Have been trying to no avail of procuring a 30 series and camping out at a MC is not an option

I sold my Newegg Shuffle 6700xt to son in law at cost so he could retire the 570 he was using.
He decided to do a whole build around it.
I built it for him this past Sunday.
NZXT H710 case, 5800X cpu, Strix B550 Srix MB, 6700XT, NZXT Z73 AIO, 4x8gb corsair white gb rgb ram, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, and Inland 2TB NVMes, corsair RMX-850 PSU, Asia Horse Extensions.
Took me several hours to build and cable manage it
I wanted that case but blue was always sold out… it was the h700 but same thing.

Step up for 3090 FTW only takes about a week to week and a half at this point according to several people I know who do it routeinly. 3090 FTW is the only step up queue that moves quick. They buy low end 2xxxx EVGA cards and step up to 3090 for mining.

Also. You don’t have to pay tax on the full amount. You only pay tax on the amount they charge you to step up. It’s clearly described in the EVGA FAQ.

Step up queue moves infinitely faster than the notify queue for 3090 according to talk on discord servers

Also. You don’t have to pay tax on the full amount. You only pay tax on the amount they charge you to step up. It’s clearly described in the EVGA FAQ.

That is not accurate. I literally just did this and they charged me tax on the FULL amount of the card (6% tax rate on $1869.99 is $112.20 which is what I was charged). When I asked them about it, they said it is not a "trade-in" per se. You are essentially getting discount coupon, and you are liable for the full amount of taxes. Nowhere in the FAQ does it mention paying taxes on just the new value minus the step up card. When it talks about pricing, it always says "plus return shipping and applicable taxes".

That is not accurate. I literally just did this and they charged me tax on the FULL amount of the card (6% tax rate on $1869.99 is $112.20 which is what I was charged). When I asked them about it, they said it is not a "trade-in" per se. You are essentially getting discount coupon, and you are liable for the full amount of taxes. Nowhere in the FAQ does it mention paying taxes on just the new value minus the step up card. When it talks about pricing, it always says "plus return shipping and applicable taxes".

And, as always, applicable taxes correspond to the taxman saying "F you! Pay me!"

Is it fair to say that after March the bots managed to get around the Best Buy drop anti-bot measures? I'm glad I got my RTX-3070 for MSRP back in late February, and it appeared to work well for [H] members that were in on this thread. Hope things improve for those still struggling to get a new GPU.

I stand corrected. That’s apparently changed since I last researched it. It used to plainly say in their FAQ it was only sales tax on the difference, but that’s been removed and now I see on their forums threads like this. So apparently you do pay sales tax on the step up full card value now.

https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3163317&p=1

Step up for 3090 FTW only takes about a week to week and a half at this point according to several people I know who do it routeinly. 3090 FTW is the only step up queue that moves quick. They buy low end 2xxxx EVGA cards and step up to 3090 for mining.

Step up queue moves infinitely faster than the notify queue for 3090 according to talk on discord servers
I’ve been in the step up queue for 3090 since 5/12, nothing yet.

Bots at em again!
I'm leaving it in cart until the next drop. Can't checkout "due to being unavailable for pick up." (BB speak for bots beat ya)
Unsure how long BB allows items to remain before being purged.

1622127544794.png

My BestBuy success dried up in March. I haven’t gotten one since. Jan to March I was able to purchase six ampere cards from BB. I’ve tried every single BB drop since Jan - at least that I’m aware of.

Stellar Bot can circumvent the please wait bestbuy queues, that’s apparently why it’s become so difficult the last two months. A guy on a discord channel I’m on has posted screenshots showing those guys routinely cleaning house on the bestbuy drops, with multiples of cards for each botter.

Last edited:
Stellar on Twitter claimed to have gotten 200 cards from this drop which was estimated to be about 70% of the available stock. Not sure how true, but based on all of us not using the Stellar bot and not having success, seems plausible.

Stellar on Twitter claimed to have gotten 200 cards from this drop which was estimated to be about 70% of the available stock. Not sure how true, but based on all of us not using the Stellar bot and not having success, seems plausible.

Does BB not even have a limit per customer policy? Seems like any automated bot could be easily defeated by limiting a single quantity to an individual shipping or billing address. Or do these stores getting reamed by bots not even have any quantity policy to attempt to enforce in the first place?

Does BB not even have a limit per customer policy? Seems like any automated bot could be easily defeated by limiting a single quantity to an individual shipping or billing address. Or do these stores getting reamed by bots not even have any quantity policy to attempt to enforce in the first place?
You'd think so - but it's relatively trivial for those bot programs to make a bunch of random accounts. And juggling accounts is done in milliseconds, so it wouldn't' make much difference. Limiting 1 per account would help, but it probably wouldn't help for long, as that's a trivial code change.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but what BB is doing now is just feeding botters and not letting anyone else have a chance. The Stellar bot has had the please wait queues completely defeated for at least two months, and BB hasn't fixed it. My discord acquaintance with the Stellar bot says it literally doesn't have a wait queue. So while we are just sitting there at the gray button ready to push yellow when it changes, all the cards are being vacuumed up behind the scenes by the bot. Apparently they can beat all the captcha safeguards too, which is why BB doesn't even implement those - because it takes a human far longer to do a capcha than it does an advanced bot like Stellar. I think one solution would be to implement a new captcha every drop that the bots weren't programmed to bypass. Shouldn't be too hard. Can do Audio, Visual mathematics, make them complicated. Have a picture of a bunch of animals and ask what the fourth mammal is from the left. Play an audio clip of someone whistling a super common nursery rhyme song, and ask what the song was.
A bot couldn't do those types of things out of the gate, and no one could program for all the variations you could make on random questions like that - those types of capchas would be easy to create/modify, but nearly impossible to program for. It would just take a little creativity and interest on the part of Best Buy. But it's far easier for BB to just to let it go as is.

Last edited:
You'd think so - but it's relatively trivial for those bot programs to make a bunch of random accounts. And juggling accounts is done in milliseconds, so it wouldn't' make much difference. Limiting 1 per account would help, but it probably wouldn't help for long, as that's a trivial code change.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but what BB is doing now is just feeding botters and not letting anyone else have a chance. The Stellar bot has had the please wait queues completely defeated for at least two months, and BB hasn't fixed it. My discord acquaintance with the Stella bot says it literally doesn't have a wait queue. So while we are just sitting there at the gray button ready to push yellow when it changes, all the cards are being vacuumed up behind the scenes by the the bot.

How can a bot generate multiple valid billing or shipping addresses? Multiple BB user accounts, sure, too easy. But ultimately these products have to be going to the same billing or shipping address and that alone should be used to trip any alerts and trigger a manual review of the order (which I'm sure doesn't happen either, but it should in these cases). Not only that, but just detecting the orders in such rapid succession (not just in seconds, but milliseconds) alone after going live should be a red flag.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but what BB is doing now is just feeding botters and not letting anyone else have a chance. The Stellar bot has had the please wait queues completely defeated for at least two months, and BB hasn't fixed it. My discord acquaintance with the Stellar bot says it literally doesn't have a wait queue. So while we are just sitting there at the gray button ready to push yellow when it changes, all the cards are being vacuumed up behind the scenes by the the bot. Apparently they can beat all the captcha safeguards too, which is why BB doesn't eve implement those - cause it takes a human far longer to do a capcha than it does an advanced bot like Stellar. I think they would just have to implement at new captcha every drop that the bots weren't programmed to bypass. Shouldn't be too hard. Can do Audio, Visual mathematics, make them complicated. Have a picture of a bunch of animals and ask what the fourth mammal is from the left. A bot couldn't do that at first blush, and you couldn't program for all the variations you could make on random questions like that - that are easy to create/modify, but difficult to program for. It would just take a little creativity.
one danger with overly complicated captchas is that you're opening yourself up for an ADA lawsuit.

or you think the system could figure out that 200 cards got cobbled in under a second and figure it out using whatever data is provided.

but do you think BB really cares? Long as they get their money.

It would be no good to just cancel the orders because bots would just continously try to buy them, endlessly, if they just keep putting the stock back into the system.

or you think the system could figure out that 200 cards got cobbled in under a second and figure it out using whatever data is provided.

but do you think BB really cares? Long as they get their money.

It would be no good to just cancel the orders because bots would just continously try to buy them, endlessly, if they just keep putting the stock back into the system.
Truly this. Unless the person has 10 different shipping locations the software should easily be able to detect that it's a bot.

Truly this. Unless the person has 10 different shipping locations the software should easily be able to detect that it's a bot.

I do wonder if they use those new CC options to have a generated number. Some offer that now for online puchases.

But do they ship to 200 different addresses? Bb should just say card billing and shipping address must match

I do wonder if they use those new CC options to have a generated number. Some offer that now for online puchases.

But do they ship to 200 different addresses? Bb should just say card billing and shipping address must match
Other than as a short term speedbump, I don't think this would help much either. There's enough money to be made scalping them now that the bot runners shouldn't have any trouble getting a few friends/family members in for a cut of the action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back