Official NVIDIA Ampere In-Stock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we’re going to be forced to buy power supplies at least Newegg should bundle more than a 650 watt PSU with a 3080 given that the card alone will draw most of that before even subtracting for efficiency.

If we’re going to be forced to buy power supplies at least Newegg should bundle more than a 650 watt PSU with a 3080 given that the card alone will draw most of that before even subtracting for efficiency.
Genius move on their part. When you "win" the shuffle PSU combo, you then have to buy ANOTHER psu.

No 3080 he even a 3090 pulls 600w but yea bundling shitty psu and MB is such a dick move.

No 3080 he even a 3090 pulls 600w but yea bundling shitty psu and MB is such a dick move.
I dunno about 3080, but 3090 regular shutdown systems with minimum specced PSU's. Its because they can momentarily spike their power draw really high, crashing the PSU. I wouldn't be surprised if 3080 have similar behavior, albeit in an overall lower power envelope. But minimum spec power is minimum spec power.

I dunno about 3080, but 3090 regular shutdown systems with minimum specced PSU's. Its because they can momentarily spike their power draw really high, crashing the PSU. I wouldn't be surprised if 3080 have similar behavior, albeit in an overall lower power envelope. But minimum spec power is minimum spec power.
They don't spike over 600w. Older and cheaper ps just can't take the sudden spike. No doubt that you shouldn't be using a 650w psu even with a 3080.

3090 with a 9900kf on a evga 650w (sfx) without issue here...

I was running a 3090 with a 5600x on a 700W SFX PSU and it worked fine. I don't know that I'd trust a cheap PSU or one of those Gigabyte bundle PSUs, but a decent quality one should be ok.

My CDW order of the white 3080 Strix from 2/10 just got delayed yet again and a price hike..lol... ($1,119.99 to $1,225.99)

cdw.PNG

man I hope they don't end up charging you more.
That's exactly what will happen. I've had the same thing happen with my orders at shopblt. Just today I was informed the motherboard I ordered has gone up by $28. If you aren't ok with the price increase, you cancel the order.

man I hope they don't end up charging you more.
They did. Raised it by like $6 which is funny - had to have "my rep" contact me and everything. What a waste of resources!

Sad thing is - I really want a Strix 3080. When I ordered back in Feb I didn't even know it was white. Haha.

They don't spike over 600w. Older and cheaper ps just can't take the sudden spike. No doubt that you shouldn't be using a 650w psu even with a 3080.
It's not a case of being unable to handle it per se. For some reason the ATX spec doesn't define maximum allowed spikes; and some newer cards (not just 30xx's some last generation AMD cards did the same thing) are putting out spikes so large they exceed the thresholds the PSU designers picked to decide when they're looking at a short circuit that needs to be killed ASAP before it starts a fire.

Anyone know if I “win” say at 2pm PST can I wait to checkout until 3pm or can the stock be gone or do I need to accept the “win”?

Third shifter here but probably won’t go to bed until the shuffle starts so trying to determine if I should even bother entering or not.

Anyone know if I “win” say at 2pm PST can I wait to checkout until 3pm or can the stock be gone or do I need to accept the “win”?

Third shifter here but probably won’t go to bed until the shuffle starts so trying to determine if I should even bother entering or not.
When you win, you get a two hour window to buy. I've not had issues when buying at the 1-1.5 hour mark of the two hour window, so I'd say it's safe to think on it for a bit.

When you win, you get a two hour window to buy. I've not had issues when buying at the 1-1.5 hour mark of the two hour window, so I'd say it's safe to think on it for a bit.
Thanks. It’s more so I’m going to bed right after I enter the shuffle and want to make sure I can get up 1 hour after the initial notification window without fear of missing something if I “win”. It appears I’ll be safe.

Thanks. It’s more so I’m going to bed right after I enter the shuffle and want to make sure I can get up 1 hour after the initial notification window without fear of missing something if I “win”. It appears I’ll be safe.
The good news is the last few shuffles have made the proposition of winning less and less attractive. $800 6700s has me telling them to just go ahead and keep it for now.

Drinking on fridays is for college kids. Old farts need a rest day before having fun. Figured you might be familiar with the EE theme song
Don't recall that one when I got my BSEE in 1996. There was something about three point one four one five nine in a song... I'm a lawyer these days anyway.

Anyone sign up today for a Saturday NE Shuffle-Bundle-He!! ?
Shamefully, yes. I can justify the board since there is another build in my future and 5800X's are readily available. 5600X less so, but preferred for this particular PC.

Not so happy that the only GPU options are Gigabyte, but at least they're on my shortlist of acceptable AIBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back