Official NVIDIA Ampere In-Stock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly certain there hasn't always been a single item, combos were required.

For several days I won a few items so I thought it would be easy... now going on 2 solid weeks of not a single item.
Same here, probably cause I didn't buy them lol! Didn't want 3070's, shoulda never signed up for them. Need a 3080 for my friend.

I'm fairly certain there hasn't always been a single item, combos were required.
When they first started it, they required the bundle for some items, but due to backlash, they relented and gave folks the choice to sign up for the bundle or just the card. I wouldn't put it past Newegg to see statistics somehow "randomly" favoring bundle-selecting participants. If that was a power supply I even remotely wanted, I would have picked the bundle. Maybe I'll try next time ...

When they first started it, they required the bundle for some items, but due to backlash, they relented and gave folks the choice to sign up for the bundle or just the card. I wouldn't put it past Newegg to see statistics somehow "randomly" favoring bundle-selecting participants. If that was a power supply I even remotely wanted, I would have picked the bundle. Maybe I'll try next time ...
Yea the fact they were bundling 750w PSU with 3090 was bullshit.

I entered to lose. That's just how I roll.
I agree. I have been selected 3x so far but ill pass on this one. The 6800s are IMO not worth that kind of cash.I had a 6800xt and switched to a 3080 and put a 3070 in my HTPC.
My next purchase is a 5900x

Only overpriced Radeons in today's shuffle 'drop'...not gonna touch it.

Anyone know what is going on with these? I know its mining, but I don't get it. The 3070's are marked up maybe $200-300 over MSRP, some of the RX 6800 series cards are marked up over $300! I looked up the hashrates (ie mining proficiency) of these things to satisfy my curiosity. Based on the markups, I assumed the new Radeons must be much more efficient at mining to justify the higher initial cost and larger markup over MSRP..? Wrong.

People (miners) are paying a larger premium for the RX 6800's, they cost more in the first place, and they mine at roughly the same profit per day when taking the potential hashrates for given algorithm into account vs power consumption. The Radeons are *slightly* better but nowhere near enough to justify the markups. Even buying ebay 3070's (with additional scalper markup) still makes more financial sense for a mining farm vs buying RX 6800's from retailers at these prices. It doesn't make sense.

TL;DR: I've come to the conclusion that people are stupid.

/rant

Anyone know what is going on with these? I know its mining, but I don't get it. The 3070's are marked up maybe $200-300 over MSRP, some of the RX 6800 series cards are marked up over $300! I looked up the hashrates (ie mining proficiency) of these things to satisfy my curiosity. Based on the markups, I assumed the new Radeons must be much more efficient at mining to justify the higher initial cost and larger markup over MSRP..? Wrong.

People (miners) are paying a larger premium for the RX 6800's, they cost more in the first place, and they mine at roughly the same profit per day when taking the potential hashrates for given algorithm into account vs power consumption. The Radeons are *slightly* better but nowhere near enough to justify the markups. Even buying ebay 3070's (with additional scalper markup) still makes more financial sense for a mining farm vs buying RX 6800's from retailers at these prices. It doesn't make sense.

/rant
I am dumbfounded as anyone, I understand 1.5k 3080s more than 1k 6800s...a 1.5k 3080 makes sense in a world of $2k+ 3090s, since you're getting 85%+ of the performance. The regular 6800 is sh*t for RT, and the 16 Gb is never gonna get used...a marked up 3070, as you said, is still better.

/rant
It is not mining affecting AMD cards I don't believe. New AMD cards are locked out for mining. They are very bad for mining I read. It is just AiB getting greedy I think and blaming everything that has been going on recently.

starting to wonder if the bundles get priority
I wouldn't say bundles get "priority" but they aren't creating packages on the fly based on luck of the draw.

If they get X cards, they'll make X-Y bundles, and Y stand alone card options. In this case X is much larger than Y because they want to sell more bundles. So if you enter the stand alone card lottery only, you only have Y chances to get a card, not X chances.

So just for number examples if X's and Y's are confusing, they get 100 cards in, and make 90 bundles, that means there are only 10 chances to "win" for stand alone people, but 90 chances for bundle people.

Now conversely they won't have 100 bundle winners just because they want information out in the wild that it is in fact possible to win a chance to buy just the card, even though they really only want to sell bundles. They don't want the same flack out there that they are in some way "rigging" the event by giving priority to bundle winners, but they do set it up so that there are more bundles available than stand alones. So the amount of chances you have to win are fixed (no pun), it's just that the number of chances to win are lower if all you want is the card because they won't have very many of "that item" available. If that makes sense.

FWIW, 750w is what Nvidia officially recommends and what I'm running with mine and it's perfectly fine.

Same, Superflower Titanium 750w with a 3090 K!nkp!n drawing 480-500w with sig computer and no issues at all. Rest of the Pc maybe draws 200w.

Unicorns do exist 🙃

Attachments

• 20210217_123411.jpg
    20210217_123411.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 0
It is not mining affecting AMD cards I don't believe. New AMD cards are locked out for mining. They are very bad for mining I read. It is just AiB getting greedy I think and blaming everything that has been going on recently.
Not true.
https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/nvidia-and-amd-graphics-card-oc-settings-for-mining

My brother got a Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 and default settings it ran 54 Mh/sec. According to many on Reddit, the 6800 is capable of 64MH/s. However, he was not able to lower the power by 50%. Afterburner only let him lower it by 8%. Not sure if there's a workaround for it, but it's still profitable and his electricity is $0.15 /kw-hr.

That said, Newegg is definitely getting greedy. He got his Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 in Jan for $729. Now it's $880.

Last edited:
Anybody wonder why the RTX3090 and 6900XT are available (though horribly inflated in price) while the 3080, 6800 and 6800XT are MIA?
Why would two cards which rely on perfect wafers be available, when the ones which use imperfect chips are not?
No mystery there.

Anybody wonder why the RTX3090 and 6900XT are available (though horribly inflated in price) while the 3080, 6800 and 6800XT are MIA?
Why would two cards which rely on perfect wafers be available, when the ones which use imperfect chips are not?
No mystery there.
So is this sarcasm? With their proportional markeups, they're still charging about twice as much for a 10-15% performance increase and that is hardly logical for most people still.

I feel dumb enough paying 3080 prices (even at MSRP) despite being able to easily afford a gouged 3090 if I wanted to. Maybe if PC gaming was my only hobby or something and I didn't have a family to spend time with as well, it would make sense. Honestly my 2080 doesn't leave me wanting more performance really at 3440x1440, so I'm still only upgrading "because I can", but even that logic can only go so far with me, lol.

If there was a reliable way to get 8k60 out of a 2080ti I would skip the 3000 series, too bad the club3d adapter only works for 4k120 and 8k30.

No mystery there.

Like T4rd said, it's about the margins. The 3080 and 3090 use the expensive GDDR6X. Both are based on Nvidia's GA102 Ampere. Would you rather sell your more expensive GA102 chip for $700 or $1500 (FE pricing), which is more than double. And that's not even accounting for post-tariff AIB pricing. It's the same story with the 3070 and 3060ti, although a bit less dramatic. Would you rather sell your GA104 chip for $400 or $500? The $400 part performs within a few percentage points of the 3070, and they mine nearly identically (if you're into that), but the 3070 is a whopping 25% more expensive at founders edition prices. The vast majority of drops that I see and follow on discord are 3070s, but the 2nd place is perhaps a tie between the 3090 and the 3060ti, although lately, the 3090 seems to be hitting our Texas Microcenters even more often than the 3060ti. 3080s are rare unicorns. I camped overnight in front of the closest microcenter to me (2 hours away, one way) because where I normally live, the closest microcenter is 12 hours away. I really really REALLY wanted a 3080. I slept six nights, four of them with below freezing windy weather, and the best I could do was a 3070. It's a great card, and I'm fortunate it wasn't an MSI so I didn't get mega-gouged for it, but those 3080s .... that's the true champion card for gaming. The performance per dollar is simply untouchable.

Did you also notice that Nvidia strangely only enabled SLI in the 3090 this time? Usually 80 series are blessed with SLI powers for the most stalwart enthusiasts. We have a 60ti and a 70 below the 80, with another non-ti 60 series just around the corner, so the 80 is clearly in the upper tier, yet NO SLI FOR U.

Why do you think that is? (rhetorical question)

Did you also notice that Nvidia strangely only enabled SLI in the 3090 this time? Usually 80 series are blessed with SLI powers for the most stalwart enthusiasts. We have a 60ti and a 70 below the 80, with another non-ti 60 series just around the corner, so the 80 is clearly in the upper tier, yet NO SLI FOR U.
This would matter if SLI wasn't dead and any new games actually bothered with it. There was really no reason for Nvidia to bother on the non-prosumer SKU's. Single powerful card > microstutter fest SLI.

Alas, this horse has been beaten to death.

This would matter if SLI wasn't dead and any new games actually bothered with it. There was really no reason for Nvidia to bother on the non-prosumer SKU's. Single powerful card > microstutter fest SLI.

Alas, this horse has been beaten to death.
I think it's because 2x3080 would outperform a 3090 quite handily. Driver updates over the years did wonders to eliminate micrustutter, and PCIE 4.0 + the new woowoo SLI bracket that costs $130, and you've paid LESS than a 3090 for more performance, including nearly double the mining potential. Nothing Nvidia would want, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back