Official NVIDIA Ampere In-Stock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe Nvidia could just ship some Ampere products. This is the biggest vaporware launch ever.
People blow this out of porportion. nvidia said they shipped similar numbers to previous launches, the demand is just really high. Dont believe them? Fine then sooner or later the SEC might have a word with them and some serious things could happen. But generally speaking CEOs dont lie about things like this. Covid has created unprecedented demand in many things, I have felt this myself directly. So its completely reasonable to think that a a couple billion people spending more time than ever in the home might be looking to spend what money they have on things like computers and gaming amoung the many other home oriented hobbies that are having record-breaking times. And funny thing its not like this is unrealistic, the consoles, completely sold out, AMDs new CPUs, completely sold out, and when the new GPUs launch from AMD I would bet good money they will sell out too. is everyone doing paper launches?

People blow this out of porportion. nvidia said they shipped similar numbers to previous launches, the demand is just really high. Dont believe them? Fine then sooner or later the SEC might have a word with them and some serious things could happen. But generally speaking CEOs dont lie about things like this. Covid has created unprecedented demand in many things, I have felt this myself directly. So its completely reasonable to think that a a couple billion people spending more time than ever in the home might be looking to spend what money they have on things like computers and gaming amoung the many other home oriented hobbies that are having record-breaking times. And funny thing its not like this is unrealistic, the consoles, completely sold out, AMDs new CPUs, completely sold out, and when the new GPUs launch from AMD I would bet good money they will sell out too. is everyone doing paper launches?

So how much does Nvidia pay you to SHILL?

Seriously the youtube channels have run the numbers on the stock availability. For example there were only 1000 units of 3000 series available for the entire UK. Yeah it's an EFFING Paper launch. Deal with it.

Nvidia made a mistake entrusting Ampere to Samsung. The 8nm process is a lot more power inefficient than the Turing, look at the inflated 320W TDP on the 3080 vs 250 for the 2080 Ti, and the yields are TERRIBLE.

It's not just a demand problem, the supply just isn't there. There are pro shops that are reporting Nvidia barely provided 300 units at launch in comparison to thousands of pre-orders. etc.

Sure Nvidia will make more, but it's been a painstakingly slow process and has opened the opportunity for AMD to strike at the market because Nvidia just can't keep up with the supply.

3.5GB
Partner Program (GPP)
Neither of which generally leads to SEC fines. First is buried in fine print, second- shady but not sec worthy.

Stock and production levels are forward looking statements. That’s what could get you in trouble. I wonder if what supply they e had just goes to the US; most of the low number analysis has been done overseas.

Neither of which generally leads to SEC fines. First is buried in fine print, second- shady but not sec worthy.

Stock and production levels are forward looking statements. That’s what could get you in trouble. I wonder if what supply they e had just goes to the US; most of the low number analysis has been done overseas.
I’d be curious of what Nvidia specifically said. There’s a lot of speculation that they have manufactured plenty of Ampere GPUs but they aren’t shipping them, likely so they can retool their SKUs (3080 Ti) to even have a chance of competing with Big Navi.

It’s vaporware because the 3080 is not long for this world.

Or maybe Nvidia could just ship some Ampere products. This is the biggest vaporware launch ever.

I think the ATI X800 has this beat. If my memory serves correctly and to my knowledge, that card was hardly ever found throughout its lifecycle.

There’s a lot of speculation that they have manufactured plenty of Ampere GPUs but they aren’t shipping them, likely so they can retool their SKUs (3080 Ti) to even have a chance of competing with Big Navi.

Retailers have said they've been getting larger quantities of Ampere than they did Turing.

Most of the speculation is total BS. Big Navi isn't even out yet and the 3080 is flying off shelves. There's no logical reason for Nvidia not to be selling everything they're producing. People just love a good conspiracy theory.

For example, I could speculate that I haven't been able to buy a 5900X because AMD is artificially limiting supply. But that would be silly. They're just in high demand.

lol
So how much does Nvidia pay you to SHILL?

Seriously the youtube channels have run the numbers on the stock availability. For example there were only 1000 units of 3000 series available for the entire UK. Yeah it's an EFFING Paper launch. Deal with it.

Nvidia made a mistake entrusting Ampere to Samsung. The 8nm process is a lot more power inefficient than the Turing, look at the inflated 320W TDP on the 3080 vs 250 for the 2080 Ti, and the yields are TERRIBLE.

It's not just a demand problem, the supply just isn't there. There are pro shops that are reporting Nvidia barely provided 300 units at launch in comparison to thousands of pre-orders. etc.

Sure Nvidia will make more, but it's been a painstakingly slow process and has opened the opportunity for AMD to strike at the market because Nvidia just can't keep up with the supply.
I have owned cards from all these guys I dont care, I buy whatever is best or best value. Its just getting to be a huge joke people acting like nvidia is just tossing sales out the window. I sell rare tropical plants as a hobby, plants literally grow themselves, yet I have seen some my plants in the hundreds of percent of inflation in prices thanks to covid. Twitch has seen their numbers of views massively increase. Think I am lying just go look at the data. https://twitchtracker.com/statistics Do you think that massive increase in viewers arent gamers and aren't putting demand on things? I dont own any 3xxx card and will not till supply catches up or if a feed great opportunity comes along.

3.5GB
Partner Program (GPP)
I dont know the details of those issues in depth but GPP wasnt something that had concrete numbers nvidia would just be lying about something that the SEC could prosecute. If they are then they might get caught.

Here is the TLDR for all your people. Who the fuck cares? If nvidia is artificially limiting supply for some moronic reason that makes no sense then who cares? If you dont have the emotional self control to not buy over priced shit then you are literally the problem if you are running around bitching up a storm trying to spread conspiracy theories who cares, all your posts arent going to change shit. If you dont have the patience and you want to get your panties in a bunch over the realities of supply and demand then nothing is going to help you. I just sit on the sidelines waiting for supply to catch up. At the end of the day the only people who have power are the people who have the ability to walk away from a deal, if you dont have that ability then you can wallow in whatever emotions are overwhelming you. But know this there are millions of people who have different situations and emotions in life and they dont have the desire or ability to walk away from these cards, they are not going away ever for as long as humans exist. Its literally how we evolved it is the essence of what we are. They arent going to learn. The only person you can change is yourself, so maybe just stopped refreshing the page every day and just chill out and play on your 2080ti or whatever.

Retailers have said they've been getting larger quantities of Ampere than they did Turing.

Most of the speculation is total BS. Big Navi isn't even out yet and the 3080 is flying off shelves. There's no logical reason for Nvidia not to be selling everything they're producing. People just love a good conspiracy theory.

People also don't seem to understand that there is only so far you can produce these things. They are made at fabs owned by other companies, and wafers at those fabs are limited, lots of people want them. So the only way to do a launch with more availability is to delay it while you build up stock. That's what nVidia could have done: Rather than release the 3000 series, they could still have no new cards on the market, and instead just be building up more supply in the warehouses to have more for launch. So instead of it being a case where it is hard to get a 3000 series, but people can and are, they could have it where nobody gets to have one, you just have to wait. Is that what people would rather?

For people who think they could "just make more" you have to understand that the fabs are the limiting factor, and that not nVidia doesn't have a fab, they buy from other fabs like basically everyone but Intel and Samsung. But ignoring all the hiring and expertise needed, which is monumental, let's say they decided right away after launch that they need a fab to deal with the demand... It would take between 3-5 years to build and cost $10-20 billion dollars. Modern fabs are extremely expensive and time consuming to build. Fab companies are already building the fab (or refitting an old one) for their next gen process and starting on the process after that. It takes a long time from start to finish to get one online. So even supposing nVidia did try to make their own, it wouldn't be around in time to help with the 3000 series, nor even the 4000 series.

Regardless of if this is an issue of insane demand, low yields, or some of both it doesn't matter. There's nothing to be done, other than they could have delayed the launch so rather than some people having it, nobody had it. There's no magic wand to just make more.

People also don't seem to understand that there is only so far you can produce these things. They are made at fabs owned by other companies, and wafers at those fabs are limited, lots of people want them. So the only way to do a launch with more availability is to delay it while you build up stock. That's what nVidia could have done: Rather than release the 3000 series, they could still have no new cards on the market, and instead just be building up more supply in the warehouses to have more for launch. So instead of it being a case where it is hard to get a 3000 series, but people can and are, they could have it where nobody gets to have one, you just have to wait. Is that what people would rather?

For people who think they could "just make more" you have to understand that the fabs are the limiting factor, and that not nVidia doesn't have a fab, they buy from other fabs like basically everyone but Intel and Samsung. But ignoring all the hiring and expertise needed, which is monumental, let's say they decided right away after launch that they need a fab to deal with the demand... It would take between 3-5 years to build and cost $10-20 billion dollars. Modern fabs are extremely expensive and time consuming to build. Fab companies are already building the fab (or refitting an old one) for their next gen process and starting on the process after that. It takes a long time from start to finish to get one online. So even supposing nVidia did try to make their own, it wouldn't be around in time to help with the 3000 series, nor even the 4000 series.

Regardless of if this is an issue of insane demand, low yields, or some of both it doesn't matter. There's nothing to be done, other than they could have delayed the launch so rather than some people having it, nobody had it. There's no magic wand to just make more.

Ya its amazing how people dont get this whole part. Which is just bad all around. Imagine the wasted space and environmental consequence of just storing millions of cards just some random person doesnt get mad about a "paper launch" which is just the modern internets word for I didnt get what I wanted on launch day.
And a big thing that alot of Americans dont seem to get is that the whole world is coming on line and getting big into gaming and computing. Meeting the entire earths demand in a very short time is just ridiculous. So you have 2 choices, under supplied, or staggered region rollouts like companies used to do. In that case you might still be paying scaloper prices if you dont happen to be in the country they decide gets first launch.
Thats why I am a fan of them just charging alot more money at launch and keeping them money for themselves instead of giving it to the scalpers. Those that cant wait can pay something like 3k a card, as supply ramps up they can lower the price.

3090 Strix was in stock at Amazon for less than 5 seconds and poof... all gone! Can't even add to cart! Guess it's really EVGA until Hopper comes out!

I personally could care less if people want to put in all the time to try to get
Thats why I am a fan of them just charging alot more money at launch and keeping them money for themselves instead of giving it to the scalpers. Those that cant wait can pay something like 3k a card, as supply ramps up they can lower the price.

I don't understand what the difference is if a random individual scalps or the manufacturer is the one scalping? Personally I would rather see the individual make a few bucks over the multi billion dollar corporation.

Ya its amazing how people dont get this whole part. Which is just bad all around. Imagine the wasted space and environmental consequence of just storing millions of cards just some random person doesnt get mad about a "paper launch" which is just the modern internets word for I didnt get what I wanted on launch day.
And a big thing that alot of Americans dont seem to get is that the whole world is coming on line and getting big into gaming and computing. Meeting the entire earths demand in a very short time is just ridiculous. So you have 2 choices, under supplied, or staggered region rollouts like companies used to do. In that case you might still be paying scaloper prices if you dont happen to be in the country they decide gets first launch.
I mean some companies do that. The console makers did. They wanted to launch in November for a Christmas release, and they wanted a lot of stock, so they've been making them for a couple months now and storing them up in warehouses. It is not an uncommon thing to do for products that you have a set time you want to launch them. However for everything else, that isn't how things are done. We are the world of "just in time inventory", the consequences of which we've seen with COVID when there's a disruption. Basically you get your production pipe full up to the distributors, then you start selling the product. Means you can get them sooner... but also means that there can be shortages if there's a demand spike.

I mean some companies do that. The console makers did. They wanted to launch in November for a Christmas release, and they wanted a lot of stock, so they've been making them for a couple months now and storing them up in warehouses. It is not an uncommon thing to do for products that you have a set time you want to launch them. However for everything else, that isn't how things are done. We are the world of "just in time inventory", the consequences of which we've seen with COVID when there's a disruption. Basically you get your production pipe full up to the distributors, then you start selling the product. Means you can get them sooner... but also means that there can be shortages if there's a demand spike.
Ya but the console makers cant even keep up, look everything is sold out and scalpers all over ebay. If I remember correctly consoles used to be staggered too and then MS tried to do a global release and sort of kick started that trend. And from my memory pretty much all of these products have had shortages on launch for a while now.

I personally could care less if people want to put in all the time to try to get

I don't understand what the difference is if a random individual scalps or the manufacturer is the one scalping? Personally I would rather see the individual make a few bucks over the multi billion dollar corporation.

Well thats the difference, what is that random individual ever going to do positive for you with that money? The answer is nothing its just some random person or company turning a buck. But if nvidia gets that money they will be able to reinvest and maybe they will have more money for next time to meet higher demand or produce a better product. I mean for all that time AMD was in trouble imagine if they had some extra money might have made them competitive faster. At the end of the day that random person is just probably going to spend it on some cigarettes and a hooker if they get a good windfall. They wont be making you better computer parts.

Ya but the console makers cant even keep up, look everything is sold out and scalpers all over ebay. If I remember correctly consoles used to be staggered too and then MS tried to do a global release and sort of kick started that trend. And from my memory pretty much all of these products have had shortages on launch for a while now.
Still can't find a switch in stock
Well thats the difference, what is that random individual ever going to do positive for you with that money? The answer is nothing its just some random person or company turning a buck. But if nvidia gets that money they will be able to reinvest and maybe they will have more money for next time to meet higher demand or produce a better product. I mean for all that time AMD was in trouble imagine if they had some extra money might have made them competitive faster. At the end of the day that random person is just probably going to spend it on some cigarettes and a hooker if they get a good windfall. They wont be making you better computer parts.
I think companies like intel/apple/nvidia/amazon etc have plenty of money.. just means bigger bonuses for top execs... the random scalper could put food on the table, pay rent/mortgage.. or just be a good consumer and spend that money putting it back into the economy. Insinuating that a scalper is just some low life who is going to smoke cigarettes and get hookers is pretty ridiculous.

So how much should nvidia charge for a 3080 then? because if they priced them at 1200 I guarantee they would still be oos.. so 1500 would be okay price? 2000? Where is the line that makes nvidia the bad guy?

And neither necessarily will Nvidia - that will become shareholder equity, which gets distributed (generally) as part of the dividend, supposedly. Or paid in bonuses. Some will get reinvested, but they only have so many R&D projects going at a time.

Demand - to meet that, you need more fabs. Fabs are massive investments - billions of dollars and 5+ years, and only so many places that you can put them. That's not something they're interested in investing in - there's a reason everyone is starting to go fabless and farm that out (running your own is a major cost you might never get back).

How about you people just post links and in stock notifications rather than wax eloquent about how benevolent or non-benevolent Nvidia is with the way they run their company.

You can begin!

I have one already so I'm not looking aggressively but if another one shows up in here I'd be interested. I'm just pointing out that there are multiple pages to discuss nvidia's bullshit in other places. I only check this thread for more stock. I don't want to waste my time with discussion about Nvidia in the IN STOCK THREAD.

I have one already so I'm not looking aggressively but if another one shows up in here I'd be interested. I'm just pointing out that there are multiple pages to discuss nvidia's bullshit in other places. I only check this thread for more stock. I don't want to waste my time with discussion about Nvidia in the IN STOCK THREAD.
Fair enough.

I’d be curious of what Nvidia specifically said. There’s a lot of speculation that they have manufactured plenty of Ampere GPUs but they aren’t shipping them, likely so they can retool their SKUs (3080 Ti) to even have a chance of competing with Big Navi.

The 3080 IMO has been EOL since launch.
The chips still making it out probably were made well before the news of the 6800 performance.
Nvidia probably are sending the little cards they have all over the world to show retailers they didn't leave them in the cold.
The big stock pile of chips, waiting in the warehouse, will have Ti on them.

Like I've said earlier in this thread, wait until January.

I dont know the details of those issues in depth but GPP wasnt something that had concrete numbers nvidia would just be lying about something that the SEC could prosecute. If they are then they might get caught.
Why would you say I don't know, then go on a rant?

3.5GB was a lie and went to court with a payout.
GPP was cancelled before it became an anti-trust because of pressure from this very forum. Forcing reviewers to lie about Nvidia performance to keep getting review samples is criminal.

So you don't think they aren't lying about supply to keep their retailers and AIBs from revolting? When billions are on the line, you just can't come out and say you're are shifting focus right after you announce a new product.

This thread is about finding stock, not apologizing for Nvidia.

The 3080 IMO has been EOL since launch.
The chips still making it out probably were made well before the news of the 6800 performance.
Nvidia probably are sending the little cards they have all over the world to show retailers they didn't leave them in the cold.
The big stock pile of chips, waiting in the warehouse, will have Ti on them.

Like I've said earlier in this thread, wait until January.

That little conspiracy theory of yours makes no sense. How do you magically add working CUDA cores to a cut down part? Secondly, the 6800xt as far as everyone knows and what AMD disclosed only trades blows with the 3080 in raster performance but will undoubtedly lose in RT so it’s not some clear cut win. Given its still priced at $650 it’s not even much cheaper than an FE and still has to contend with nvidia mindshare. NVIDIA is for sure selling every 3080 they make, they have no reason to hold back.

How do you magically add working CUDA cores to a cut down part?
I could sound stupid, but from what I understand the first 3080 will be made from the failed 3090 that do not have all their core working, both using GA102 one using worst chip that does not have 100% of the core working with a certain amount deactivated.

For the conspiracy to work, would require that NVidia since launch got much better binning then normal/expected and could activate more core on already made chip that they keep for that instead of selling them as current 3080.

The announced 3080TI will not have more core than the GA102-300-A1:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-ga102.g930

Still can't find a switch in stock

I think companies like intel/apple/nvidia/amazon etc have plenty of money.. just means bigger bonuses for top execs... the random scalper could put food on the table, pay rent/mortgage.. or just be a good consumer and spend that money putting it back into the economy. Insinuating that a scalper is just some low life who is going to smoke cigarettes and get hookers is pretty ridiculous.

So how much should nvidia charge for a 3080 then? because if they priced them at 1200 I guarantee they would still be oos.. so 1500 would be okay price? 2000? Where is the line that makes nvidia the bad guy?

Someone buying multiple video cards for $1600 a pop and reselling them for $3,000 absolutely has PLENTY of money to "put food on the table." Unless you mean eating out every evening in Beverly Hills or in Caesar's Palace, instead?
If you have $10,000 to bot multiple video cards to throw them up on ebay, having that cash tied up, you are *NOT* in need of cash. Period.

Someone buying multiple video cards for $1600 a pop and reselling them for $3,000 absolutely has PLENTY of money to "put food on the table." Unless you mean eating out every evening in Beverly Hills or in Caesar's Palace, instead?
If you have $10,000 to bot multiple video cards to throw them up on ebay, having that cash tied up, you are *NOT* in need of cash. Period.
Credit cards? Whether they are poor, rich or in between.. who cares.. I would still rather see it go to them rather than billion dollar corporations.

What cash? They’re all on credit cards- net 30. Heck, even the interest is low enough, that’s more like net 180

Credit cards? Whether they are poor, rich or in between.. who cares.. I would still rather see it go to them rather than billion dollar corporations.

LOL and who do you think makes these things? The billion dollar corps who prob make way more on it. Get some reality.

One of the better independent metrics I have seen is the number of posted benchmarks. There are a lot for Ampere given where it is in its lifecycle- too many for paper launch and miles ahead of Turing.

Just got an e-mail from EVGA for the 10G-P5-3885-KR. Just placed my order for my customer. That I have had 800 bucks of their money since before the card came out. Damn Evga killing me with 20 bucks for shipping.

Just got an e-mail from EVGA for the 10G-P5-3885-KR. Just placed my order for my customer. That I have had 800 bucks of their money since before the card came out. Damn Evga killing me with 20 bucks for shipping.
Well you can always buy one of them off scalpers locally. I heard they don't charge shipping nor tax!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back