Official NVIDIA Ampere In-Stock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man i havent had any luck every time i get an email notification i am super busy
E-mail notifications are going to be MINUTES too late by the time you get them —even if watching your inbox like a hawk. Discord notifications are instant as is live chat feed and the cards sell out in seconds every time.

The NowInStock disqus chat is more keen on these drops than the site itself. I only knew about Best Buy by reading the chat. The site itself never once showed an "in stock" status. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I hate you. I mean congratulations. :D
Dang. Tried yesterday w/ a lot of clicking but no luck. It was in stock, then I added to cart then it wasn't available for pickup nor online but I could still add to cart *hits head on desk* *stares at 10% off coupon...*

Dang. Tried yesterday w/ a lot of clicking but no luck. It was in stock, then I added to cart then it wasn't available for pickup nor online but I could still add to cart *hits head on desk* *stares at 10% off coupon...*
I heard someone say it might work better on the app. I'll give it a try if they ever go back in stock.

This has got to go down as one of the worst "launches" in history. I remember after the hype video thinking "this almost seems too good to be true". My gut was right! But not for the reasons I thought!

Thousands of people post in a super fast moving unwashed chat — generally about nothing of importance, maybe they just got back from Taco Bell, maybe they pooped, maybe they showered, maybe they played a game or just woke up — someone sees something they copy the link in to share, but the product goes out of stock before you could possibly click the link, because the automatic full checkout bots are patrolling all sites, and then everybody in the chat goes
“Reeeeeeeeeeeee” missed that one too.

actually the discord chat makes you realize just how bad the problem is. There is actually quite a bit coming into stock more recently, but you’ll still not get anything unless Lady Luck smiles on you, or you have a fully auto checkout bot. I get quite a few added to cart. So far, none checked out. They get ripped from my cart.

I thought it would help me get a card this last week or so and I’ve had a lot more faux opportunities presented, but it’s just a lesson in frustration thus far. The chat makes you realize the lunacy of all of us playing the game.
If you hang out in the general chats, yes that is about accurate. Savvy Discord users will mute those channels and set alerts to the channels where only Distill bots are permitted to post.

It's how I got my 3090 a couple nights ago.

I still think there's more to the story. Artificially low supply is my guess.

20GB cards in December!
I'm going to try to get a 3090 founders, but step up my 2060ko to whatever the cheapest card out around xmas is. Hopefully an 8gb 3060ti for little/no money extra.

20GB cards in December!
Except they don't need to "artificial scarcity" a product that already had insane demand, and hype was already 10/10. There's no business upside, it loses money.

Artificial scarcity is to prop up a middling product that there isn't great confidence in.

I'm going to try to get a 3090 founders, but step up my 2060ko to whatever the cheapest card out around xmas is. Hopefully an 8gb 3060ti for little/no money extra.

3090's seem to be an easier buy right now than 3080's. The only thing you could run into is that the 3060Ti doesn't get released within your 90 day step up window (depending on when you bought the card).

3090's seem to be an easier buy right now than 3080's. The only thing you could run into is that the 3060Ti doesn't get released within your 90 day step up window (depending on when you bought the card).
The 3090 seems to be such a bad buy vs the 3080. I'd rather pay a little more for a top tier 3080 than twice as much for a 3090 at this point.

Except they don't need to "artificial scarcity" a product that already had insane demand, and hype was already 10/10. There's no business upside, it loses money.

Artificial scarcity is to prop up a middling product that there isn't great confidence in.

This is OT, but this is all about margins. In 2 months, the market will be flooded with 20GB cards because that's what's being produced NOW. Why would an AIB accept a 40% margin on a 10GB card when they can sell 20GB cards with a 50-60% margin?

The 3090 seems to be such a bad buy vs the 3080. I'd rather pay a little more for a top tier 3080 than twice as much for a 3090 at this point.

I think that's what the majority of people are thinking. I can stomach $700-800 for a card. $1500-1700 is a little much, especially with the minor upgrade in performance.

for AI and rendering, the extra VRAM is worth it to me. But not for a cent over $1500. EVGAs step up 3090 is $1800.

20GB cards in December!
A 20GB card should cost the same as a top tier AIB card.
I'm willing to wait until AMD and Nvidia put out their best cards by December.

The 10GB "beta" cards will be a distant memory. Especially since the 20GB card should be better built, avoiding the frequency/crashing issues.

A 20GB card should cost the same as a top tier AIB card.
I'm willing to wait until AMD and Nvidia put out their best cards by December.

The 10GB "beta" cards will be a distant memory. Especially since the 20GB card should be better built, avoiding the frequency/crashing issues.

I think that's wildly optimistic. These cards are gonna be $1000. Why wouldn't they be?

I think that's what the majority of people are thinking. I can stomach $700-800 for a card. $1500-1700 is a little much, especially with the minor upgrade in performance.

Yeah I mean unless you really are doing vram heavy non gaming stuff, a 3090 is an insanely bad deal. this is nvidia segmenting the market and making crazy money off of rich people / the few who will tax deduct it for "work" :).

There are reports of bad coil whine on the FTW3 cards on evga forums...hoping they sort it out before my turn comes.

This is OT, but this is all about margins. In 2 months, the market will be flooded with 20GB cards because that's what's being produced NOW. Why would an AIB accept a 40% margin on a 10GB card when they can sell 20GB cards with a 50-60% margin?
Do we know they're producing 20GB 3080 cards right now? All I've seen is a Gigabyte SKU indicating that they plan to release a 20GB variant sometime in the future.

We also don't know if there are supply concerns with GDDR6X. Given the demand for the 10GB card, I'm guessing they'd need to be confident in GDDR6X supply before they start using 2x as much per card.

Another 10GB of GDDR6X probably costs the MFR ~$150. This is based on GDDR6 prices being around $12/gigabyte and GDDR6X known to be more expensive. So if they're adding $150 to their costs, and increasing their margin from 40% to 50-60%, these cards are going to cost well over $1000. At that point, the 3090 probably starts to look more appealing.

edit - looks like there is a rumor from 'videocardz.com' stating Nvidia will release the 20GB variant in December. I don't know anything about this site - are they reliable?

Last edited:
Would someone really buy a $699 3070 16GB over a $699 3080 10GB? 3080 seems like a super easy decision...
I think it will be about 600. Which is less than 700. It is a filler product after all, I don't think nvidia wants its cards competing at the same price point.

I was super upset when the 3080 launched and it was about as impossible to get one as it has ever been on a product launch that I can recall. I wasted hours trying to get one. By comparison, the PS5 and XbSX launches were easy to find. Looking back though with hindsight, I think it is a blessing in disguise that I was not able to get one. I still want one, but with the 20GB models coming out in December, along with AMD's new cards bringing competition to the market to hopefully drive down prices, I think the wait until December/January time frame will be well worth it, at least for me personally. I look forward to the second round of cards based on what they learned from the first round.

Of course, it is a Titan replacement and those are always a bad buy in terms of performance per dollar. You always get less performance/dollar as you go up the GPU chain, but Titans take a sharp knee and cost WAY more for not that much more performance. Never buy the moonshot card expecting good value for your money. It is just for people who want the absolute best and aren't fussed about spending a silly amount of money to get it.

You get the same thing in the audio world. The difference between a cheap set of speakers/soundbar that is included with your PC and a decent $150-300 set of powered monitor is amazing, such a step up in sound quality. The difference between those monitors and some high end $2000-5000 monitors is clearly noticeable, but not near as big as that first step up. The difference between those high end monitors and some ultra high end $20k+ setup is quite subtle, it is there but you might not even notice it straight off or in all situations. The return for your money just gets less and less as you go up the chain.

Of course, it is a Titan replacement and those are always a bad buy in terms of performance per dollar. You always get less performance/dollar as you go up the GPU chain, but Titans take a sharp knee and cost WAY more for not that much more performance. Never buy the moonshot card expecting good value for your money. It is just for people who want the absolute best and aren't fussed about spending a silly amount of money to get it.

You get the same thing in the audio world. The difference between a cheap set of speakers/soundbar that is included with your PC and a decent $150-300 set of powered monitor is amazing, such a step up in sound quality. The difference between those monitors and some high end $2000-5000 monitors is clearly noticeable, but not near as big as that first step up. The difference between those high end monitors and some ultra high end $20k+ setup is quite subtle, it is there but you might not even notice it straight off or in all situations. The return for your money just gets less and less as you go up the chain.

It’s not a titan replacement without driver support for titan though. So still a bad buy since it’s good for gaming unlike titan that gets pro features no?

3070 16gb should be less than $700 as well... I'd guess.

Not really. 600 max or even 550. because Nvidia wouldn’t really sell a 3070 which will still be slower despite 16gb of ram for same price as 3080. Won’t happen so 600 is max where I would put it.

Managed to order a 3080 from Best Buy, took many retries.

I tried. Couldn’t add it to cart. Hit about 20 times and then finally went out of stock lol. Probably be buying big Navi I guess at this point. Hahah.

I tried. Couldn’t add it to cart. Hit about 20 times and then finally went out of stock lol. Probably be buying big Navi I guess at this point. Hahah.
What makes you think big Navi will be a y better on the availability front?

dream on. bots will do the same.

I don't know that this will be the case. There is generally less demand for AMD graphics cards vs. Nvidia. If AMD has more stock available than the pittance that Nvidia launched with, combined with somewhat less demand, it should make for general availability for longer than 1 second as was the case with Nvidia's launch.

Navi and the Radeon VII were both available for most of launch day (at least several hours) before they sold out.

I don't know that this will be the case. There is generally less demand for AMD graphics cards vs. Nvidia. If AMD has more stock available than the pittance that Nvidia launched with, combined with somewhat less demand, it should make for general availability for longer than 1 second as was the case with Nvidia's launch.

Navi and the Radeon VII were both available for most of launch day (at least several hours) before they sold out.
I think the bots will be quickly exasperated when they by a huge chunk of the first stock then notice the people looking for AMD cards are no where in number compared to the NVIDIA ones. Its going to be some funny shit.

I wonder what percentage of us are somewhat locked into the nvidia side by our GSync monitors? My Alienware AW3418DW prevents me from being interested in AMD because I’ll lose GSync and wouldn’t be able to use Freesync. Now I don’t have a strong preference between GSync and Freesync, having used both for years, but I won’t intentionally go without one or the other.

That means until I’m ready to replace my still excellent display (I’m not and I won’t until OLED is available at a smaller PC monitor size) I’m buying nvidia. No matter what AMD does. AMD could be ~30% faster than nvidia at the same price and I wouldn’t switch because of my GSync lock.

Last edited:
What makes you think big Navi will be a y better on the availability front?

Nvidia clearly doesn’t have enough stock. Plus scalpers know no one is gonna pay double for rdna2 chip like nvidia fanboys will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back