Official NVIDIA Ampere In-Stock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you fill the notify form out a 2nd time it will tell you when you submitted originally

Yep, they just added this functionality today. It will show you supposedly the earliest date when you signed up. Not sure how totally accurate it is, because one guy said he signed up 9/17 and got a card offer, but the notify told him it was 9/30.

Yep, they just added this functionality today. It will show you supposedly the earliest date when you signed up. Not sure how totally accurate it is, because one guy said he signed up 9/17 and got a card offer, but the notify told him it was 9/30.
I just checked that it stated that I signed up on 9/17. So far no emails from EVGA.

I just checked that it stated that I signed up on 9/17. So far no emails from EVGA.
What time and for what cards? So far I have heard of FTW3 Ultras being offered up until 7:18 AM on 9/17, and some XC3 Ultras on 9/16, but nothing else yet.

For reference, whatever went out today for FTW3 Ultras covered 9/17 7:08 AM to 7:18 AM or so. I am guessing that a LOT of people signed up on 9/17, so if you are later in the day it might be awhile.

do you think nvidia has a bigger margin on the 3090s or the 3080s? I just assumed the 3090 being over twice as much would be a bigger margin.

Before yields improve it may not be a larger margin. For the halo cards they would typically bracket the expected yield curve so they make reasonable but "low" margin at the beginning and pretty sizeable at the end. From memory, nVidia was targeting 60% before 20* series, and 75% for 20*. No clue where 30* lands and those numbers are across the entire product line.

Yes and no. nVidia understands it had a market issue with the 20 series since consumers realized quickly that a) rasterization wasn't significantly better than 10 series, b) RT and DLSS are, and will remain, largely meaningless for the next few gens, c) price was extortionate relative to the former points. At the same time, they want to keep their overall revenue streams trending up. And since they cannot lower manufacturing costs, there's really only one way to keep the line moving upwards: charge more for cards, one way or the other. How do you increase prices when "MSRP" (note the quotes) is actually lower than prior gen? ...smoke and mirrors.

First, as postulated by many folks in the know and familiar with pricing strategy, "MSRP" has no tangible meaning in this launch apart from drumming up interest. In a sense, MSRP models of the 30xxs are the "LS" car SKU that gets folks in the door. No one buys the LS car because there are none on the lot, and the few that dealers received in the first delivery went to friends and family. The MSRP cards are needles in a haystack, only available on release, never to be seen again. But they get people to the dealer where they then buy more expensive models. Looking back to the Ampere reveal, you could almost see the wink in Jensen's eye when he said "$699".

Second, artificial supply limitation. We're all familiar with this and the integral concept of supply and demand. People want a goat, no goats available, goat prices go up -- a tale as old as time. The counterpoint to this dynamic is, if retail/street prices rise too far, no one buys and there's excess supply. But there's another pull affecting pricing dynamics: conditioned price expectation. When the base street price i.e. the price you can actually acquire a 3080, stays at $850 for months and months, that's the price people are conditioned to accept. And while adjusting price expectations takes time, it's a powerful way to increase price on product. nV knows this, and it's partially why they are actually working with AIBs to control (not stop) scalpers acquiring cards to vastly appreciating prices. In effect, they want street price to go up (but not too far up).

nV is playing the long game here, and it's a game of 4D chess. They're still employing their tried-and-true tactics of atomic market segmentation, "special" editions, price renovations, but they're now pulling the above levers. All of this moves us in one direction on prices: upwards.

Edit: On a related note, consumers need to start qualifying exactly what is meant by "price", not just in this situation but any. Nvidia is relying on you assuming "price" will equate directly to what they list (fallaciously) as MSRP. Price and MSRP does not equate by design, as I've explained above. Price should be considered the actual money it takes to buy a card on the street.
Yeah I don't think this is right, at all. Nvidia makes their money off selling chips to their board partners. Not off the final retail price. The board partner then takes the pricing guidelines from Nvidia, to come up with a final price, from which the board partner then gets their own cut. As well as any other cuts needed to be handed out to resellers. Inflated prices at retail do not do Nvidia any good. And scalping especially does not do them any good.

While the scalping is REALLY bad, due to bots; Ultimately, the supply issues seem more to do with the fact that they only started production in August. At best, they might have been in production for 3 weeks, before they released the 3080 FE. That's just not enough time.

The only 4-D aspect I see is what the heck is up with Ampere in the first place? This is a product which should have been released a long time ago. I always felt like they delayed it because of COVID and the general shortages around the industry. But the final product suggests they had legit trouble with R&D. As they basically took moves from AMD's playbook: jack up the power, to squeeze out an extra few % and use bleeding edge VRAM technology, to squeeze yet a little more.

Annnnnnnd, they were stingy with their RTX cores. With the 3080, the RTX performance improvement is simply from the refinements to the cores. They didn't also add more cores. And the 3070 has less cores, relying completely on the refinements, to hopefully still perform as well as a 2080ti, for RTX. They have massively marketed ray tracing and then barely move the needle on their next turn, two years later. What?!
I mentioned it before, but they left AMD a bone on ray tracing.

In fairness, I'm certain he knows better than I what Big Navi will bring to the table. He still knows a shit ton of people in the industry. Far more than I do. That one word suggests AMD's Big Navi is going to be better than I think it will be and that's certainly possible. I've never denied that. Of course, AMD doesn't have to be faster than the 3080 to compete with it. It just has to get within 10-15% of it, and it can effect the 3080's pricing. It is certainly possible that NVIDIA is aware of what Big Navi's performance will be and priced accordingly. However, I do not believe that's the only reason why the cards are priced the way they are. NVIDIA damn near doubled its prices on the upper tier 20 series cards and people didn't buy them as much. I think NVIDIA's pricing was lowered at least in part due to that fact.
AMD is absolutely a big factor in Nvidia's pricing. We saw it last year. Turing price drops in direct response to the fact that 5700xt, 5700, and 5600xt, are very good cards at aggressive price points.

And as I mentioned before, all indications that AMD's R&D has been quite successful. If not very successful.

Yes, few people bought Turing. And certainly, Nvidia learned something from that. Especially in these financially constrained times.

But AMD's new products will likely demand another shift in the pricing stack. But this time, the shift will reach further up the stack, I think.

Last edited:
Annnnnnnd, they were stingy with their RTX cores. With the 3080, the RTX performance improvement is simply from the refinements to the cores. They didn't also add more cores. And the 3070 has less cores, relying completely on the refinements, to hopefully still perform as well as a 2080ti, for RTX. They have massively marketed ray tracing and then barely move the needle on their next turn. What?!

I thought they increased the tensor cores? 46 on the 2080, 68 on the 3080. From what I've read, RTX performance saw bigger gains than raster performance.

As they basically took moves from AMD's playbook: jack up the power, to squeeze out an extra few % and use bleeding edge VRAM technology, to squeeze yet a little more.

They also improved the performance per core, as you said.

Is it just me or have we not seen FE cards restocked since launch?

I thought they increased the tensor cores? 46 on the 2080, 68 on the 3080. From what I've read, RTX performance saw bigger gains than raster performance.
you are comparing the product names. Which is what Nvidia wants you to do.

In Control, which is still one of the most demanding RTX games: A 2080ti was just barely a 1080p card. A 3080 doesn't quite make it at 1440p. And the 3070 looks to be roughly the same RTX performance as a 2080ti. Assuming good scaling with the refinements. It could end up worse in some situations and maybe better, in others (they apparently support a new codepath in Ampere, which could in some cases, make RTX performance markedly better, for roughly the same image quality. if the game uses that coding method).

So, ignoring the 3090 and its insane price: Ampere has only moved RTX performance from barely 1080p to....not quite 1440p. Nvidia has had 2 years to deliver something much better than this.

Now, the 3090 does exist. Yeah. But the 2080ti was also a super high price product. They should have put more RTX cores down the stack. Despite the marketing, RTX from Nvidia, will still be almost meaningless to many gamers.

But....DLSS!! Well, that barely exists for the customer to utilize. And it still has visual issues. At least, it does in Death Stranding. I don't own any of the other handful+ of DLSS 2.0 games. RTX is supposed to make our games look better. Relying on DLSS for RTX doesn't get me excited, right now.

you are comparing the product names. Which is what Nvidia wants you to do.
I'm comparing the price brackets, which is generally what consumers do. Comparing the 2080 Ti to the 3080 is like comparing the 2018 Corvette to the 2020 Camaro. They're targeted at different markets and different price brackets.

I have Control, and a 2080 Super. It looks great with DLSS 2.0 on. I don't understand why 1080p to 1440p isn't an impressive leap. That's twice as many pixels. Where do people get these insane expectations?

They should have put more RTX cores down the stack.
As far as I can tell, they did. The 2080 Ti, a $1200 card, had 68 RTX cores. Now, the 3080, a $700 card, has 68 even better RTX cores.

Now, if you don't think the card is worth the money, don't buy it. But sheesh. I was a waiter for 5 years in college, and there is always a subset of customers in restaurants that will never be happy. They're going to complain about everything, no matter what you do. If we made a ven diagram of the video card market and the restaurant market, I think those customers might reside in that middle area :D

I'm comparing the price brackets, which is generally what consumers do. Comparing the 2080 Ti to the 3080 is like comparing the 2018 Corvette to the 2020 Camaro. They're targeted at different markets and different price brackets.

I have Control, and a 2080 Super. It looks great with DLSS 2.0 on. I don't understand why 1080p to 1440p isn't an impressive leap. That's twice as many pixels. Where do people get these insane expectations?

As far as I can tell, they did. The 2080 Ti, a $1200 card, had 68 RTX cores. Now, the 3080, a $700 card, has 68 even better RTX cores.

Now, if you don't think the card is worth the money, don't buy it. But sheesh. I was a waiter for 5 years in college, and there is always a subset of customers in restaurants that will never be happy. They're going to complain about everything, no matter what you do. If we made a ven diagram of the video card market and the restaurant market, I think those customers might reside in that middle area :D
1080p - 1440p is about 70% more pixels. That's an important distinction Vs. "twice as many".

Ultimately, what I am trying to say is this: 2 years later, we should have 1080p raster cards matched with 1080p RTX performance. 1440p raster matched with 1440p RTX, etc.

And as far as I can tell, the only thing holding us back from that, is simply the amount of RTX cores. And that is exactly where Nvidia held back.

RTX cores cost money. However, if Nvidia had added more to each product in the stack, to even out the performance of Raster Vs. RTX. And essentially eat the extra cost: They would have had an undeniable product offering. Which would have shifted the industry. I doubt AMD could have matched that within a year. And Nvidia would have sold enough volume to make up for the added cost of more RTX cores.

1080p - 1440p is about 70% more pixels. That's an important distinction Vs. "twice as many".

Ultimately, what I am trying to say is this: 2 years later, we should have 1080p raster cards matched with 1080p RTX performance. 1440p raster matched with 1440p RTX, etc.

And as far as I can tell, the only thing holding us back from that, is simply the amount of RTX cores. And that is exactly where Nvidia held back.

RTX cores cost money. However, if Nvidia had added more to each product in the stack, to even out the performance of Raster Vs. RTX. And essentially eat the extra cost: They would have had an undeniable product offering. Which would have shifted the industry. I doubt AMD could have matched that within a year. And Nvidia would have sold enough volume to make up for the added cost of more RTX cores.
I'll take the raster performance over RTX until the majority of games have RTX. ATM, it's about as many as SLI worked for in new games over the past couple of years (that was a dig at SLI, cause there weren't many - same for RTX so far)

Yet maybe Nvidia will do what you want and release a card with 3070 raster performance and 3090+ RTX performance for those few games, maybe even with only a slightly higher price tag than the 3080.

That sounds awesome, and I'd be as stoked for that as anybody. The reality is, if the industry actually moved at that pace, we'd all be playing on 32K screens with $200 graphics cards by now.

I'll take the raster performance over RTX until the majority of games have RTX. ATM, it's about as many as SLI worked for in new games over the past couple of years (that was a dig at SLI, cause there weren't many - same for RTX so far)

Yet maybe Nvidia will do what you want and release a card with 3070 raster performance and 3090+ RTX performance for those few games, maybe even with only a slightly higher price tag than the 3080.
If we had more usable RTX performance right now, more developers would probably be interested in implementing it.

The consoles at least, will get RTX capability into 100 million homes. So, there will be more games with some sort of RTX effect. Its too bad that two years later, Nvidia isn't ready to really capitalize on it. But, Nividia has provne to be slow with their AI stuff, in general. Despite heavily leaning on it, for marketing.

Nvidia can kill the resale market by also implementing EVGAs queue system.
If someone knows they have a legit chance to get a card, they will wait and the bots will go away.

A reseller will not wait in a 30-90 day queue just to sell it at MSRP.

It’s kind of interesting how much better a value the consoles are this go round. A console will offer a fairly similar gaming experience to this, performance wise. For 25% the cost.

Most of us will only upgrade the video card, but taken as a whole picture...... the Xbox series X is kind of a ridiculous value.
Well, not exactly. PS5 is an 8 core, 16 thread Zen 2. Which tops out at 3.5ghz. And a GPU which is probably more or less like a 5700xt, in overall raster performance. An equivalent PC should be a fair chunk less money, than that 3080 system. However, the PS5 would still be relatively great value, compared to current PC hardware pricing.

If someone knows they have a legit chance to get a card, they will wait and the bots will go away.

Yep, we've got EVGA doing this while MSI fucks over customers with shady resellers (I guess they are offering partial/full refunds, but still...because they got caught). Silence from other AIBs and nVidia.

I didn't want to give any of this tinfoil hat BS any credence. As I disagree with a lot of it. However, there may be a grain of truth to it based on the MSI story below. While MSRP is fixed, there is nothing that says retailers have to sell product at that price. Although, there are cases where some type of MAP is in place limiting what retailers can sell for. You see this in the firearms industry. However, even if companies like MSI are selling cards through a subsidiary at scalpers prices, this should stop once supplies are up. Which we know won't happen until at least early 2021. If they are pulling this, it also tells us that there is likely next to zero margin in these parts.

I really wish it was tinfoil hat rantings, I really do. Unfortunately, this is how things are nearly de facto done in today's multi-faceted, multi-pronged retail pricing strategies. Every industry from automobiles, to cosmetics, to handbags have pricing teams who turn every screw possible (direct and indirect), including and beyond the well-accepted tactics I describe, to squeeze money out of consumers. It's no longer simple supply and demand that decide pricing, hasn't been for a long time. There are far smaller companies in niche industries doing what I'd proposed and further, nV is surely doing likewise.

It’s kind of interesting how much better a value the consoles are this go round. A console will offer a fairly similar gaming experience to this, performance wise. For 25% the cost.

Most of us will only upgrade the video card, but taken as a whole picture...... the Xbox series X is kind of a ridiculous value.
It really is a good value, if all you're looking to do is play games. We're in the realm of Xbox 360 value where you effectively got a 18/900 XT on a triple-core CPU etc for $500. This would have cost you >$1000 in 2005. That said, this comes with all the limitations of console gaming.

They could but they don’t care. They’ll spin the botting/scalping as “Ampere had massive demand for months after launch.”

Is it just me or have we not seen FE cards restocked since launch?

You have not SEEN them, but they have been restocked. They in theory were restocked today at 6am eastern. I mean if you have like.. fingers... and click links by using them? Yeah you won't SEE shit. Even if the alert this am was due to site changes ratehr than restock, people are getting them, so they are being restocked in at least small numbers.

Looking at EVGA site...I signed up on 9/21....4 days after launch. Wonder how long that queue/line is ha.

The scalpers absolutely will and have flooded the reservation queues (at best EVGA's detected and shadowbanned them). Once supply pushes prices down to the point where it's not worth their time to resell, they'll just stop claiming any that their legion of sockpuppet accounts are offered.

It looks like they're just hitting 9/17 still....so maybe another week or so for ya? I thought I had signed up on launch day....but I guess that was only for the FE...so I have 10/3 as listed for the EVGA ones.

From the Reddit EVGA notify spreadsheet they're working on...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FQupXX51TEgUaP4kIZIxVAMkYNDVzwaRbGikv7bGBgY/edit?usp=sharing

And then there is this from Jacob Freeman

Now you can see a list of the items you have hit the notify for and date https://evga.com/community/myNotifies.asp

The scalpers absolutely will and have flooded the reservation queues (at best EVGA's detected and shadowbanned them). Once supply pushes prices down to the point where it's not worth their time to resell, they'll just stop claiming any that their legion of sockpuppet accounts are offered.
A person can only request one per email. From there you can restrict it to one card per address, per credit card, per phone number. One of those three will match often on those additional orders can be canceled. Name and zip code filtering is also possible. Nvidia can require everyone to create an account and then restrict orders by name a zip code, so Tom John 33000 only gets one card and if there's a second Tom John in 33000 they can verify the order before sending.

But like others have said Nvidia doesn't care because they are in the AI business, not video games.

What time and for what cards? So far I have heard of FTW3 Ultras being offered up until 7:18 AM on 9/17, and some XC3 Ultras on 9/16, but nothing else yet.

For reference, whatever went out today for FTW3 Ultras covered 9/17 7:08 AM to 7:18 AM or so. I am guessing that a LOT of people signed up on 9/17, so if you are later in the day it might be awhile.

I have my notify on 9/18, and I haven't heard anything yet. Who knows. Maybe in the next week or so I'll have something.

If they can get through the first week of availability (9/25) by EOM that would be a huge win in my book. Fingers crossed.
From the spreadsheet, looks like the FTW3 Gaming (3895-KR) may be my earliest shot if they can get stock of that card in..mostly seen the FTW3 Ultras, the queue for that seems low prior to my date (9/22).XC3 Black has quite a queue since it's the base model but then they may also have much more of these...

Last edited:
I thought I read you can get 1 card per card type...so if you have an email for a 3080 and a 3090 you could get one of each? might be wrong..but thought I read this on the EVGA forums regarding the notification emails...

Also - EXLINK - were you still thinking of buying one for a forum member here? Please add me to the list please....can pm me with the model your getting a notification on. I don't mind waiting...but you might get yours a month or so before mine - lol....well that and I'm trying to hookup a friend...

I thought I read you can get 1 card per card type...so if you have an email for a 3080 and a 3090 you could get one of each? might be wrong..but thought I read this on the EVGA forums regarding the notification emails...

Also - EXLINK - were you still thinking of buying one for a forum member here? Please add me to the list please....can pm me with the model your getting a notification on. I don't mind waiting...but you might get yours a month or so before mine - lol....well that and I'm trying to hookup a friend...
If I buy one for a forum member here it would only be for a long-time member with exceptional Heatware references. $800-900 is a lot of money.

If I come across one and have it on hand I'll post it in the FS/FT forum.

A person can only request one per email. From there you can restrict it to one card per address, per credit card, per phone number. One of those three will match often on those additional orders can be canceled. Name and zip code filtering is also possible. Nvidia can require everyone to create an account and then restrict orders by name a zip code, so Tom John 33000 only gets one card and if there's a second Tom John in 33000 they can verify the order before sending.

But like others have said Nvidia doesn't care because they are in the AI business, not video games.

google voice numbers, post office boxes, virtual credit card numbers (some cards let you create unique numbers so if site X gets hacked your card doesn't need re-issued and all your other saved info remains valid) or prepaid visas with large balances (bonus for being able to fake a name), etc.

Most of that costs money, but as long as they can profit hundreds/card it's not going to deter the scalpers any more than using IP masking services to do mass signups without being tracked back would.

And this is why we can’t have nice things.
78D5E67B-CA70-4B00-922F-22373F91BE20.jpeg

The real benefit of the EVGA program is that bot users probably didn't bother signing up for email alerts given how quickly they went OOS, so if they signed up no they've got a pretty long wait ahead of them.

And this is why we can’t have nice things.
To be fair this is why *YOU* can't have nice things. Others are apparently willing to spend that kind of money. Yeah it sucks that there's a secondary market like this when there's something that you really really really want. However you can have nice things... just not now. So little Verruca Salt, just wait it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back