Official NV 256 Beta Drivers Released.

Holy crap, look at the Just Cause 2 performance increase - a whopping 25%

Jesus, I'm going to have to download this driver. I've got smooth frame rates already, but with 16XQ AA enabled I wouldn't mind a 25% increase.

I might even bump up my anti-aliasing to 32X.

All I see is them touting performance increases for the GTX 400 series. Does this do anything for GTX 2xx? Otherwise, don't really care.

Check this same thread. I've already posted some 200 series performance numbers from my rig.

Check this same thread. I've already posted some 200 series performance numbers from my rig.

Thanks, I must have missed that post. Good to hear!

And regarding that Guru3D thread, there's not a lot (if any, really) information about GTX 2xx series and the new drivers (I read through the whole thing).

These drivers a definite must have, especially if your running a Fermi card. Saw a substantial increase in BFBC2 performance. With the 197.55 I was running 1920x1200 32xCSAA, 16x AF, High, HBAO On with 2x TSAA, with the 257.15 drivers I was able to push my TSAA to 4x. Also saw almost an 80 point increase in Heaven at 1920x1200 with everything set to their maximum settings. And of course no more excruciatingly long load times with DX11 in multiplayer. :D

Did you fermi guys install right over top of 197.41 or 55? This box runs so damn good right now I hesitate to even try upgrading it with new drivers. It would be damn nice to get rid of those long load times in bc2 though and more performance in that game would be useful.

The overclocking tools work fine, but I just found out after an hour of struggle that if you have the onscreen display server enabled on any of the tools the drivers crash, I can't launch any games. If I disable on screen monitoring the games launch fine and the overclocks work great.

Did you fermi guys install right over top of 197.41 or 55? This box runs so damn good right now I hesitate to even try upgrading it with new drivers. It would be damn nice to get rid of those long load times in bc2 though and more performance in that game would be useful.

The performance improvements merit an install. I see in general about 5-10% improvement across the board with the most extreme improvements in BFBC2 and Metro 2033.

Do any of you have ArmA2? I'm wondering if it increases performance with FSAA and AF applied (or longer view distances).

That's weird I'm getting worse performance in older games such as The Witcher and Age of Conan. Lots of Stuttering and lighting in AOC is horrible now.

STALKER COP is playing so smooth now at 2560X1600 in sli. But Metro2033 it's hard to tell if there's any improvement. I have to play on Normal settings with AAA and DOS turned off in order for it to be smooth. Seems like if it dips below the 60 fps mark with vsync enabled, it's a stutter fest.

All in all, just one game performs better for me, I may revert back to the last driver.

The overclocking tools work fine, but I just found out after an hour of struggle that if you have the onscreen display server enabled on any of the tools the drivers crash, I can't launch any games. If I disable on screen monitoring the games launch fine and the overclocks work great.

There's always some performance overhead associated with the OSD, so I never use it.

no noticeable performance increase whats so ever yet..

but I do notice I have 1500 points up from Vantage... everything else seems just like the way it is. no biggy.

And regarding that Guru3D thread, there's not a lot (if any, really) information about GTX 2xx series and the new drivers (I read through the whole thing).
These posts all have G80/G90/GT200 benchmark or performance improvement comments: 42, 44, 46, 77, 106, 115, 116. Then there's more pages after you posted that quoted message.

Srsly, no one is going to do complete testing to your satisfaction. Try these drivers if you want to and post benchmarks. You can always go back if you're not satisfied.

I'm going to wait till official drivers are released. I'm happy with my current drivers and the 1-2% increase in the games I play aren't worth risking my current install which works great.

Whoa, they work on 2xx series cards? Going to try these when I get home today.

Its working so far. Its mainly for the 4xx series but there is some improvements with 2xx series. I like the tweaks to the control panel.

GTX 480 - VISTA 64 - Core i7 920. I do my gaming at 1920x1080.

I ran the Just Cause 2 benchmark called Concrete Jungle - all settings maxed out, except v-sync - and on the first pass I only got 26 frames per second, an all time low. I ran it again, and got 31 frames per second. I ran it again and got 31 again.

So at least for that title, I would say the new driver was a failure.

Bad Company 2's single player seems to be running more smoothly though. I haven't tested anything else yet - but Just Cause 2 was a disappointment.

GTX 480 - VISTA 64 - Core i7 920. I do my gaming at 1920x1080.

I ran the Just Cause 2 benchmark called Concrete Jungle - all settings maxed out, except v-sync - and on the first pass I only got 26 frames per second, an all time low. I ran it again, and got 31 frames per second. I ran it again and got 31 again.

So at least for that title, I would say the new driver was a failure.

Bad Company 2's single player seems to be running more smoothly though. I haven't tested anything else yet - but Just Cause 2 was a disappointment.

I thought they increased performance in JC2 0.o that's weird.

Well my problem ended up being a setting in the driver. I don't know if it was the physx setting or what but I now see the increase in Metro 2033. AOC still running like crap though, but that game is crap anyways. (yet I'm still playing it lol)

I am having big issue with this driver right now.

keep crashing in DiRT 2 during multiplayer.... this is driving me nuts...

I want 64 bit drivers with 3d surround.... Nice to see there have been some performance gains though. Another 5-10% FPS never hurt. ;)

I click to download the win7 64bit and it downloads the 32bit and wont install.

oh well, ill just wait til official. I am having issues with BC2 not putting windows theme into basic and it inturrupts my game with a dialog box everytime.

Interesting drivers. Shows three cards and the fourth for physics. Anyways in process of mounting my i7-975 to replace my i7-940. Got i7-975 for 700 bucks. Next will be Nvidia Directx 11 card in future. Gotta save fro tri-sli. Anyways also have fan modifications to do too since my exhaust fan bit the big one as well as one more bottom fan which broke. All in all I can wait for DX 11 cards for now since most games are dx 9 or dx 10.

It is the physx setting that reduced fps in just cause 2, I had 9800gtx and physx enabled on that and the fps took a dump, and before when i didn't have the 9800gtx+ in as a physx card, the fps had increased with the driver set.

I'm going to wait till official drivers are released. I'm happy with my current drivers and the 1-2% increase in the games I play aren't worth risking my current install which works great.

This--^

I think I am going to hold off as well until they are WHQL even though it would be nice to get the bc2 load times fixed.

It is the physx setting that reduced fps in just cause 2, I had 9800gtx and physx enabled on that and the fps took a dump, and before when i didn't have the 9800gtx+ in as a physx card, the fps had increased with the driver set.

Hey wait, isn't it supposed to be the opposite of that? Why would your fps go DOWN with a dedicated physx card?

any current/former eyefinity users rocking these yet? curious to see how these compare. hopefully the [H] does a preliminary comparison editorial or something. good stuff.

any current/former eyefinity users rocking these yet? curious to see how these compare. hopefully the [H] does a preliminary comparison editorial or something. good stuff.

Just to reiterate (for the 10 other people who've already mentioned this here), this driver DOES NOT provide multi-monitor gaming capability -- according to nV, that will arrived with a driver update in late June.

This driver does allow you to span your desktop across three screens and that works ok from the short time I used it last night. I couldn't, however, figure out how to set up the monitor positions other than switching the DVI cables in the card ports. My first impression is the software and GUI to do this is much more confusing than in Catalyst.

Another neat thing this monitor does for people with dual or triple cards is allocate one card solely for Physx simply by selecting it in the nV Control Panel. For example, I have two of my 480s running in SLI and the third is dedicated to Physx. I have a feeling this software path will event kill the ATI-nV Physx hack eventually...

Simply drag the gui of the screen to the position that you want it in the monitor section will allow you to position where you want each monitor.

Just to reiterate (for the 10 other people who've already mentioned this here), this driver DOES NOT provide multi-monitor gaming capability -- according to nV, that will arrived with a driver update in late June.

This driver does allow you to span your desktop across three screens and that works ok from the short time I used it last night. I couldn't, however, figure out how to set up the monitor positions other than switching the DVI cables in the card ports. My first impression is the software and GUI to do this is much more confusing than in Catalyst.

Another neat thing this monitor does for people with dual or triple cards is allocate one card solely for Physx simply by selecting it in the nV Control Panel. For example, I have two of my 480s running in SLI and the third is dedicated to Physx. I have a feeling this software path will event kill the ATI-nV Physx hack eventually...

really? they don't provide any 3 monitor gaming? i know the leaked drivers at least provided 3d surround? do the betas not have that same capablity?

NO! There is no 'official' surround gaming support until end of June at least and probably longer as it is quite likely imo that they will postpone again as we get further along into June and they still haven't worked out the problems with these features.

In quite a few of the titles I tested last night I noticed a weird slowdown effect that would happen every now and then. It was almost like micro-stutter.

I think I'm going to uninstall this, and return to the previous driver.

Back