Official Note 10 announcement

Nebell

2[H]4U
https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-note-10-plus-1015954/

Honestly, I'm not impressed.
More glass around and less aluminum making it more prone to shatter. Rear cameras sticking out again, WTF Samsung. Back to 2015?

Also, I don't understand why Samsung is releasing Note 10 AFTER S10. It makes no sense. It's not much of an improvement after S10 which packs basically the same hardware specs. So if you don't care for the pen, there's not much new stuff you get.

It would be smarter to release it before S10 so those who don't care for the pen would still be tempted to buy it because it's the first new-gen phone from Samsung.
And with Mate 30 and Pixel 4(?) coming in a couple of months, why would people even bother?

I'm using Note 8 for a couple of years now and see no point in upgrading (although I'd like a bigger battery, it's not worth it).
Note 8 and 1080Ti the best tech investments lol, they are lasting a while and will probably another year or two. I have never kept a piece of hardware this long.

And while we're at it, my dream phone would be a 7" phone with basically no bezel and totally waterproof (no holes for AUX or charging, only BT/wireless charging). I'm tired of phones being "waterproof" but bitching about charging port having moisture.

AFAIK the Note has been released after the S phones for years now. Not sure why they’d change that with this release.

Also, RIP headphone jack on Samsung phones. This is the first and likely won’t be the last.

Maaaan I'm still using a Galaxy Note 4. I do like having a removable battery though. I wouldn't mind a Note 10 Plus if it was more like $500-$600. A grand is computer money. So, another flagship phone with no headphone jack. Fucking asshats.

I'm due for a phone upgrade (running a Note 8 ATM) and I just got a message from my corporate phone guy about the new phones: (Corp pricing) Note 10+ 500gb is $899.99 vs S10+ 500gb 749.99 and 1000gb 999.99 (I think that's what he said). So a couple hundred off of retail pricing.

As to the differences - the Note10 supposedly has the better / improved camera than the S10 (with the exception of the S10 5G which being more $$$ received the upgraded camera already). Also one of my co-workers who just ordered the Note 10+ told me it has a bigger battery than the S10+ (4300 vs 4100, according to him). Whether those little changes are worth it or not is up to you.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on either the Note 10+ or the S10+ 1tb. While the idea of no bezels / edge to edge screen is nice, I think it might be more useful to have a little bit of edges / bezels so you have room for your thumbs to rest on the edges when using the phone / watching / consuming media.

Maaaan I'm still using a Galaxy Note 4. I do like having a removable battery though. I wouldn't mind a Note 10 Plus if it was more like $500-$600. A grand is computer money. So, another flagship phone with no headphone jack. Fucking asshats.
I still love my rooted Note 5, though it gets very limited use these days. Best Samsung phone ever, IMO.

Samsung is not known for having a great camera.
The problem with Note 10 is it's supposed to be the most feature-rich phone. Yet it lacks a 90hz screen and next-gen internal storage like One Plus 7.
There's absolutely nothing exciting about it.

Also, why are so many interested in removable batteries and a headphone jack?
Both of those things are a downside to me. I don't keep my phone that long to need a new battery for it and I love not having to deal with cables. I have Marshall Monitor Bluetooth which look great, sound great and have no cables.

The problem with Note 10 is it's supposed to be the most feature-rich phone. Yet it lacks a 90hz screen and next-gen internal storage like One Plus 7.
There's absolutely nothing exciting about it.

Both of those things are a downside to me. I don't keep my phone that long to need a new battery for it and I love not having to deal with cables. I have Marshall Monitor Bluetooth which look great, sound great and have no cables.

So because YOU don't keep a phone long enough and YOU don't like cables you can't see it from others perspective? Neat.

1. So you can swap out battery, and not having to carry an external battery bank with wires.
2. Lot of time when traveling, I don't want to have another device I have to charge.

Not a great time to be an android user. The pixel 4 looks like hot garbage, and the Note 10 looks like a budget phone.

If Chinese phone makers weren’t on their A game recently, we’d probably see a mass migration to Apple.

Not a great time to be an android user. The pixel 4 looks like hot garbage, and the Note 10 looks like a budget phone.

If Chinese phone makers weren’t on their A game recently, we’d probably see a mass migration to Apple.
2020 might be the year of that mass migration, if some of the stories about next year's iPhone pan out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...elease-upgrade-iphone-xs-max-xr/#3de80f033dd3
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...elease-upgrade-iphone-xs-max-xr/#2c487dce2a0b

lol that camera floating in the middle of the screen would drive me nuts!

Note 10+ looks like a normal Note successor (though overpriced as ever) while the smaller one might as well been called the 10R, considering they pulled an Apple by offering a 1080p phone for $950 (about the same bad value as the XR with 720p for $750). I'm sure the display is still great, as the XR's is, despite the lower resolution, but it makes for a bad value at their MSRP and there's no reason for it when they have the same size S10 for $900 MSRP with a proper 1440p display. I get that the Note has to be more expensive than the S line regardless, but it should also at least match or exceed all of its specs for that extra cost as well.

I came to Android after IPhone 4 so I'm not planning on ever going back. I might not go to another Samsung next either but I'm definitely not going back to Apple.

As for tech, it's true that the Koreans aren't keeping up with the Chinese <insert IP theft comments here> as far as smart phones go - but if you're in the tinfoil hat gang - I'd rather that any snooping on me is done by the Koreans rather than the Chinese.

1. So you can swap out battery, and not having to carry an external battery bank with wires.
2. Lot of time when traveling, I don't want to have another device I have to charge.
Then you'd have to carry that replacement batter... I'd rather carry the charger or USB cable if I had to carry something. Also in my experience battery lifetime is a non-issue. That same charger would ideally charge the wireless headphones too.

That being said, if you want to connect your phone into speaker or something that doesn't have Bluetooth, it would be annoying to carry the adapter. With headphones it's a non-issue (just keep it connected to your wired headphones). Sadly Bluetooth doesn't support lossless audio (though, with LDAC it's not that simple since some phones may have shittier audio output than the DAC in the wireless headphone).

The power button being the Bixby button on the left looks awful. Also powering off through a software button seems like a terrible design. I was wildly disappointed in what I've found so far.

The power button being the Bixby button on the left looks awful. Also powering off through a software button seems like a terrible design. I was wildly disappointed in what I've found so far.

There's a setting to set the button to power off the phone instead of launching Bixby.

So because YOU don't keep a phone long enough and YOU don't like cables you can't see it from others perspective? Neat.

No, I don't. My 2-year-old Note 8 still has a great battery. I'm not going to keep it for 5 years. If you keep a phone for 5 years then you might as well stay with Note 3 and stop bitching about removable batteries.
Performance loss? Well since you're keeping a phone for 5 years you might as well accept the fact that a 5 year old phone won't be as snappy as brand new tech.

No, I don't. My 2-year-old Note 8 still has a great battery. I'm not going to keep it for 5 years. If you keep a phone for 5 years then you might as well stay with Note 3 and stop bitching about removable batteries.
Performance loss? Well since you're keeping a phone for 5 years you might as well accept the fact that a 5 year old phone won't be as snappy as brand new tech.

Must have quoted the wrong person, champ.

No more headphone jack, has an ugly hole-punch for the front-facing camera... yeah, I'll be sticking with my Note 8 for another year, and if I had to upgrade, it'll be an international Note 9 with an unlocked bootloader and all the Treble Generic System Images I could ask for, because this is clearly a sign

This is the Note 5 all over again - a phone that costs more than its predecessor and does less. For those of you who don't recall, here's the list of things the Note 5 axed:
  • removable battery
  • microSD slot
  • IR blaster
  • MHL video-out over microUSB (USB-C wasn't a thing until the following Note 7)
Needless to say, the Note 5 rightly got blasted for that back in the day. The Note 7 brought back the microSD slot and probably had the usual video alt-modes over USB-C, but that thing went down like the Hindenburg. Really sucked to be a Note fan from 2015 through the first half of 2017...

The Note 4 is the best phone Samsung ever designed.

Premium-feeling metal bezel, and damn near every feature and the kitchen sink (save for the lack of USB 3.0 on its standard-size microUSB jack). It was first to have 1440p (something which the new Gear VR took advantage of), first to have fast charging (only for reviewers to complain as the years went on that it's too slow compared to newer standards), had an optional Qi wireless charging back (because the back's REMOVABLE, you see?), was the last Note to get a significant SoC improvement over its corresponding S model (S5 had the Snapdragon 801, Note 4 had the 805 - much beefier GPU for that 1440p screen)... honestly, the only things that feel particularly dated about it are the swipe fingerprint scanner, SD805 and microUSB.

The only reason I stopped using mine is just because my family dumped Sprint for T-Mobile in January 2017, about two years after I'd advocated for such a change, and the Note 4 is one of those phones you're not supposed to be able to unlock (released before February 2015). Even if you use an unofficial method to SIM-unlock it, you find that Sprint had all the 4G bands locked out, so T-Mo was limited to 3G, which I wasn't even getting as 2017 proceeded.

I stuck it out until I got my Note 8, and while I'm not really happy about the dumb curved edges (those have no place on a penabled phone), sealed back and locked bootloader on US models, I got $200 off for trading in an old Sprint S5, a fast wireless charger and a 256 GB microSD card for my $781. Not bad for a phone I expect to use for at least three years, especially now that Samsung's software has improved by lightyears since the Note 4 days. Wouldn't dream of running a Note 4 on a stock ROM due to the ridiculous system DPI (640 by default, the screen is physically 515 PPI), among numerous other reasons.

Back