*Official* Norco data storage products thread

Hey folks,

For you current owner of the 4224, is the backplane on those capable of indicating error and ID information? I like the fact that I can tell my 3ware to ID drive #5 and it will blink the activity LED for that drive on my SuperMicro backplane. Lighting up the error LED when something goes bad is a nice to have as well.

Thanks!

@DarthRay: Although the Norco 4224 backplanes have the necessary part footprints to support the features you are looking for, Norco unfortunately did not populate these parts and hence these features are not directly supported. You can however make these features work IF your controller has additional error headers that you can wire to the individual backplanes.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks treadstone. That helps.

Do you know where I can find more information about Norco's backplane?s I wanted to check what connectors it has available and how many LEDs it has per drive. I'll check if the 9260-8i has any additional headers. I'll have to figure out how to connect them.

Thanks again.

@DarthRay: If you find any information regarding Norco's backplanes (or chassis for that matter), you would probably be the first. They don't even include ANY kind of paperwork with their chassis and there isn't much online on their website either... So good luck with that... But if you happen to find any information, please do share!

I drew a complete schematic diagram of a 4224 backplane (in other words reverse engineered it) for my own reference. Have it here somewhere among all these papers. Have to dig it up again since I want to change the resistors for the blue activity LEDs as I find them utterly useless as they come from the factory since you can BARELY see them.

To answer your question, each drive has two LEDs with one of them being a dual color LED. The top is the power LED (green) and the bottom LED is the activity/error LED (blue/red respectively). The blue LED is controlled by the drive and the red LED is controlled via a header on the back of the backplane.

@treadstone: thanks again. I think you just made me a bit happier about the 4224. With the header on the back of the backplane, then I believe I only need 1) a controller that can communicate that information through side band (which from my reading, it looks like all LSI 92xx cards do) and 2) for the SAS expander that'll be installed on the 4224 chassis to support individual error LED headers for each drive.

I wasn't able to find documentation on the Chenbro CK23601 SAS Expander, but the documentation on the CK13601 shows the headers for error LEDs. I'm assuming that'll be the case for the CK23601 as well.

Thanks again!

I noticed the 4020 is discontinued. What is the new equivalent or recommended model?

I just bought 4224 yesterday, how long does it take IPCDIRECT shipping to show up in UPS? :)

@DarthRay: Some minor corrections to your post:

The 4224 backplanes do NOT support the Drive failure (error) LED or Drive identification (via the error) LED modes via sideband communication since the backplanes unfortunately do not have the parts populated. You will need to connect a dedicated cable between each backplane and either the controller card or an expander to handle these LED modes.

SFF-8087 cables (those designed to connect controllers to backplanes) usually have the necessary cables for the sideband communication, but that's only part of what's required to make this work. The controller needs to have the necessary components/connections between the controller chip and the SFF-8087 connector and the backplanes need to have the necessary chips so it can decode the sideband communication (it's based on a synchronous serial data stream) to be able to display the status of each drive via a dedicated LED. Also, the controllers firmware needs to be able to support the sideband communication.

The way Norco implemented this on their 4224 backplanes is a cheaper way and does NOT utilize the sideband connection you most likely already have connected to the backplanes via the SFF-8087 cable anyway. The additional cable needed to make this work on the Norco 4224 backplanes requires a dedicated wire for each LED. There is a 10 pin header on each board. So you would need 6 x 10 to get all LEDs connected to your controller/expander.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

@treadstone: yep, you're right. I actually meant to call out the side band support between the controller and the expander but I can see how the way I wrote could confuse someone. I was under the impression I needed sideband support at least between controller and expander so that the information could be carried away to the storage chassis.

Once inside the storage chassis, then yes, in the case of the 4224, for the error LEDs to work, the expander will have to be connected to the backplanes using 24 little wires, one per drive.

Hopefully that's all I'll need to do in order to get power, activity and error information to the backplane LEDs.

A question to the RPC-4224 (and RPC-4220) owners here and in particular the different versions:

Is it possible to remove the rack mount like it is possible with a 4020?
vault-004.jpg

(taken from: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034252125&postcount=242)

Thanks
mittens

Last edited:
@mittens: No, sorry!

The rack mount brackets are part of the chassis design. I should clarify this a bit more, the front and top edge of the chassis is a single piece of metal. So unless you want to butcher the black front cover, you can't remove the rack mount brackets... That's on the new style RPC-4224, the one without the USB connector on the front.

@mittens: No, sorry!

The rack mount brackets are part of the chassis design. I should clarify this a bit more, the front and top edge of the chassis is a single piece of metal. So unless you want to butcher the black front cover, you can't remove the rack mount brackets... That's on the new style RPC-4224, the one without the USB connector on the front.

Thanks, that's what I assumed.

I wasn't able to find documentation on the Chenbro CK23601 SAS Expander, but the documentation on the CK13601 shows the headers for error LEDs. I'm assuming that'll be the case for the CK23601 as well.
Back on the topic of the error LED headers, are you referring to the vertical array of 2x24 pins inbetween the heatsink and the SAS port on the CK13601?
13601.png

I don't see the same set of jumper pins available on the newer CK23601. Instead it looks like only 2x7.
product6227174146.jpg

So I finally opened up my Norco 4220 and noticed no manual, and no screws for a ~$350 case (definitely didn't pay that much), wow...

1) First of all, am I suppose to get screws. Based on some of the newegg reviews...it seems so. I mean...I just can't use regular screws to secure my hard drives...so where are the 20*4 screws? All i got was a box with a bunch of metal brackets.
2) Have most of you been ordering the 120mm fan wall plate from that ipcdirect...or some other website such as a particular ebay seller, etc.?
3)I have a modular powersuppy: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold and was wondering, if I can use one cable from my powersupply that has 3 molex connections and plug all three on each row (3 of the 4 rows on the backplane), and perhaps using another cable and plug it the same way but in the second slot, just in case one of molex connectors become loose?

Thanks.

EDIT: It seems I was suppose to get several bags of screws according to this pic: http://www.norcotek.com/product_images/flyer/rpc4220_8.jpg
Is there a special e-mail ppl use to contact Norco as I e-mailed them like a week ago about the fan bracket but no response.

Last edited:
So I finally opened up my Norco 4220 and noticed no manual, and no screws for a ~$350 case (definitely didn't pay that much), wow...

I just purchased the Norco 4220 3 weeks ago. The screws were inside a 4" x 6" x 1" cardboard box. The box also contained various metal strips for mounting various things.

1) First of all, am I suppose to get screws. Based on some of the newegg reviews...it seems so. I mean...I just can't use regular screws to secure my hard drives...so where are the 20*4 screws? All i got was a box with a bunch of metal brackets.
2) Have most of you been ordering the 120mm fan wall plate from that ipcdirect...or some other website such as a particular ebay seller, etc.?
3)I have a modular powersuppy: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold and was wondering, if I can use one cable from my powersupply that has 3 molex connections and plug all three on each row (3 of the 4 rows on the backplane), and perhaps using another cable and plug it the same way but in the second slot, just in case one of molex connectors become loose?

Thanks.

EDIT: It seems I was suppose to get several bags of screws according to this pic: http://www.norcotek.com/product_images/flyer/rpc4220_8.jpg
Is there a special e-mail ppl use to contact Norco as I e-mailed them like a week ago about the fan bracket but no response.

be carefull if your powersupply has more 12 volt rails , if you going to use more than one molex cable and route to the backplanes they might getting connected by the double molex on the backplanes.
i dont know what the effect will be if you do that , the double molex on the backplanes are normally for 2 PSU`s to get redunance power.
If your Molex cables coming from the same 12 volt rail it should be ok but shouldnt have much effect , only that you double the virtually the wires and have some less loss.

Back on the topic of the error LED headers, are you referring to the vertical array of 2x24 pins inbetween the heatsink and the SAS port on the CK13601?

No. The image you used appears to be from version A1 of the CK13601 and the manual doesn't really say what those headers are for. Version B0 and B1 include a horizontal 2x12 header on the other side of the heatsink and that's the one I was referring to earlier. Here's a shot of the B0/B1 version. The error LEDs header is number 6 in the picture:

ck13601b1.png

I don't see the same set of jumper pins available on the newer CK23601. Instead it looks like only 2x7.

Good catch. I only see that 2x7 (or perhaps it's a 2x8). I don't see a 2x12 anywhere on that board, much like version A0 of the CK13601. :(

Oh well, it's not looking good but I guess we won't know for sure until we see the manual, which doesn't seem to be available yet. Chenbro also has this other board, the CK30801 that allows cards with I2C channels to light up the correct error LEDs but in a quick inspection I could not see how a CK23601 (or a CK13601 for that matter) could be connected to it.

Thanks!

@treadstone, do you happen to have a good quality picture of the Norco backplane? I tried to find one to inspect what kind of connectors and headers it has but couldn't find one.

I just purchased the Norco 4220 3 weeks ago. The screws were inside a 4" x 6" x 1" cardboard box. The box also contained various metal strips for mounting various things.

Yup, thanks

... they might getting connected by the double molex on the backplanes.

?? :confused:

I am going to go with one connection on each backrow.....I am a little confused about if I should use all three molex connections on a single cable...or if I should use one molex connector on one cable each (no power is shared across that cable).

I will e-mail mike at norcotek dot com, norco directly, and newegg

@treadstone, do you happen to have a good quality picture of the Norco backplane? I tried to find one to inspect what kind of connectors and headers it has but couldn't find one.

IMG_8462.jpg

Hope that is of any good. I also have a bigger resolution if req. Just let me know.

Matej

Yup, thanks

?? :confused:

I am going to go with one connection on each backrow.....I am a little confused about if I should use all three molex connections on a single cable...or if I should use one molex connector on one cable each (no power is shared across that cable).

I will e-mail mike at norcotek dot com, norco directly, and newegg

Yeh well look for the specs of your PSU that will explain how many rails you have for 12 volt
like V1 , V2 ... but some PSU`s have one big 12 volt rail , i think each backplane does only need 1 molex connected , the 2th only when you using 2 PSU`s for redunancy.
But its really time Norco provide some informations about the backplanes , connectors and pinouts of the headers , its bad that for cases like that no information is included in the package.
I am all the day google around for info about the possibility to use error, active and power leds on the Norco to my Highpoint 2740 controller, which has IC2 and also pins for external leds for active/ error for each drive connected.
So theres a lot of need for information in several setups.

@DarthRay: I only have pictures of the 4224 backplane which is different from the 4220 backplane.

Good catch. I only see that 2x7 (or perhaps it's a 2x8). I don't see a 2x12 anywhere on that board, much like version A0 of the CK13601. :(

Oh well, it's not looking good but I guess we won't know for sure until we see the manual, which doesn't seem to be available yet. Chenbro also has this other board, the CK30801 that allows cards with I2C channels to light up the correct error LEDs but in a quick inspection I could not see how a CK23601 (or a CK13601 for that matter) could be connected to it.

Thanks!
According to another user who already received his CK23601, the white 4-pin header at the top left of the card is an I2C connector (header CN1) which the quick start guide says is for 'function for environment monitoring'. I'm not really familiar with I2C -- will a single I2C between the expander (CK23601) and the LED board (CK30801) be enough to supply the LED data for all 24 drives? After that it looks like you just run an I2C cable between each 4-pin header on the CK30801 to each norco backplane.

The IC2 thing isnt a standard , but it seems only common for the different brands
they all use different ways and pins for this feature.
For example my Highpoint 2740 has only a 3-pin connector
and the manual says only this :

This jumper supports SAF-TE interface (I2C).

Pin Number PIN description
Pin1 SCL
Pin2 GND
Pin3 SDA

that isnt much at all so to find out how things work is a lot of experimenting
if only that 3-pin could be connected to the Norco backplanes and all the leds working
as it should be that would be perfect.
Sadly Norco doesnt support informations about the backplanes at all.
so it might be investigation on the backplanes and fix some schematic to find out what is what.

I found out that all led headers on my 2740 gives 3,25 volt , both for active and fail leds on all 16 channels ... very weird while at this time i only use 4 channels
and they all working and are not in any error.
Explanation to this might be that the led headers only working on the right way when using the IC2 connector as well.
In the raid managment there is a setting for different enclosures or just leave it empty (standard setting)
i dont know if there is any risk to play with this setting around and what it does.

Last edited:
Hope that is of any good. I also have a bigger resolution if req. Just let me know.
Matej

Thanks Matej. If it's not too much to ask, could you post the higher resolution one? I'm trying to get the details on the connectors.

Thanks!

According to another user who already received his CK23601, the white 4-pin header at the top left of the card is an I2C connector (header CN1) which the quick start guide says is for 'function for environment monitoring'. I'm not really familiar with I2C -- will a single I2C between the expander (CK23601) and the LED board (CK30801) be enough to supply the LED data for all 24 drives? After that it looks like you just run an I2C cable between each 4-pin header on the CK30801 to each norco backplane.

One connector may be enough, but as Parcifal said, apparently different manufacturers have different ways to use that bus. I know that the CK30801 has two connector, selectable through jumpers: either you use a single connector compatible with 3ware controllers, or you use up to 6 connectors compatible with the other "popular cards". So, that alone tells that depending on the implementation, it may be possible to send information about all 24 drives with a single 10-pin connector (the 3ware one).

Assuming that we can use that CN1 conector, now we're talking about adding another card to the mix in order to get the failure information. I quick searched revealed the card will cost upwards of $200. I sure hope Chenbro puts a 2x12 header on that CK23601 'cause $200 is too much to pay for having error LEDs hooked up. :(

Last edited:
Yeh well look for the specs of your PSU that will explain how many rails you have for 12 volt
like V1 , V2 ... but some PSU`s have one big 12 volt rail , i think each backplane does only need 1 molex connected , the 2th only when you using 2 PSU`s for redunancy.
But its really time Norco provide some informations about the backplanes , connectors and pinouts of the headers , its bad that for cases like that no information is included in the package.
I am all the day google around for info about the possibility to use error, active and power leds on the Norco to my Highpoint 2740 controller, which has IC2 and also pins for external leds for active/ error for each drive connected.
So theres a lot of need for information in several setups.

I will just use one string of molex connectors as it seems this was/is how some are using it. During my google search, I see a lot of ppl complain about the lack of documentation for this case. Currently, trying to talk to Newegg about getting these screws and trying to avoid RMA'ing the case.

I will just use one string of molex connectors as it seems this was/is how some are using it. During my google search, I see a lot of ppl complain about the lack of documentation for this case. Currently, trying to talk to Newegg about getting these screws and trying to avoid RMA'ing the case.
Sure that is a config most people use , one string of molex connectors , but keep in mind that it is limited how much disks you can connect to 1 rail, if its a 22A rail for example and you got 24 disks or something like that you might be run into trouble and need to split all the disks / backplanes to more rails to keep stability on the 12 volt.
But it is also depending how your disks configuration is , all seperated disks , or big arrays thats makes lot of difference, as with big arrays all disks on that array are active same time for a single file.
Read about that on the "100TB Home Media Server" topic how he did.

@DarthRay: I'll dig up the high res pictures of the 4224 backplanes I took some time ago and post them for you...

As to I2C (Inter-Integrated Circuit):

I2C was developed by Philips (in the late 80's/early 90's) and is a 2 wire communication bus that was originally designed for communication between controllers and peripheral chips in media devices like TV's and Stereos. I2C uses a clock line usually referred to as SCL (master to slave) and a bidirectional data line usually referred to as SDA (master to slave and slave to master). Both lines are usually driven by an open collector/drain type driver and passively pulled high (via a resistor to either 3.3V or 5.0V). I2C usually uses a communication speed of 100kb/s (standard mode), some newer devices can also handle the fast speed mode of 400kb/s and some devices even go beyond 1Mb/s.

As to the Norco backplanes, they do NOT use any I2C type communication, so don't hold your breath or go and buy some expensive add on cards to try and make the error LEDs work via the I2C bus of your HBA.

Besides, I2C is only the interface, it then depends on the protocol and/or registers of the device you are trying to control and if the HBA supports that particular device...

If I'm not mistaken, all descent SAS HBAs support enclosure management via SGPIO, so that would be your best bet, however since the Norco backplanes do not have the necessary parts populated (some of the Norco backplanes most likely don't even have the footprints), this will not work either. Chenbro and SuperMicro backplanes should support enclosure management via SGPIO though (at least I know that my Chenbro RM91250 does).

@treadstone: thanks yet again for all the info.

Yes, I know the Norco backplanes don't support I2C (or SGPIO or anything else that's not SAS). The talk about I2C was because there is another card from Chenbro, the CK30801, that takes I2C as input and has regular headers for error LEDs. My understanding is that you can use it if you are left in a situation where your expander card only has I2C (which from previous posts, may be the case for th CK23601) for controlling error LEDs but your backplane doesn't support it. You would then connect your expander to the CK30801 and from there connect the error LEDs directly to your backplane (assuming each of your backplanes has a 4-pin header to control 4 error LEDs). Having said that, the price of that little card is $200+ and to me that's not worth the trouble.

I'm starting to realize that if I want a nice expander chassis with all the bells and whistles, I should probably look at the DS-24E. However I couldn't find any good documentation on it so I'm not sure what it can or cannot do as far as chassis management, PSU and fan monitoring and other things. But then, the Supermicro CSE-846E26-R1200 is a nicer chassis, has 2 expander chips, has a more powerful PSU, has redundant power, supports all of features listed above and is less expensive ($1316 at Provantage, the DS-24E is $1370 at Newegg). Go figure. :confused:

Does anyone know of any reason not to get the Supermicro 846?

Hi All,

My first post, and am looking for help, so please be gentle ! (apologies for formatting -- I tried) !

Briefly, have purchased a Norco 4224 from here: http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/149123/CASINGS_SERVER_-_4U/Norco/RPC-4224.asp. Power and reset on LHS, and 2x USB on front RHS, but otherwise looks same as pics I see posted here.

I transferred the innards of a working Fedora 15 box that I have been running as back up. This is not my first PC build, but is my first involving anything other than vanilla SATA connections.

I expected to be able to plug a SATA fanout cable into the mobo SATA connectors using a 4 sata fanout to backplane SFF8087 connectors, courtesy ebay -- [ame="http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120690350083&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120690350083&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/ame]

This was based on a bit of google research, where this sort of thing seems to be feasible.

I also have a PCI card using a Sil 3114 chip, with 4 connectors -- again, expected the same sort of cabling arrangement would work. The mobo is a gigabyte GA-P35-DS4, rev 2.0. I've also tested it on a gigabyte 785G mobo. The problem -- when I plug the SATA to 8087 connector into the backplane, and try to boot, the machine starts up alright, but no drives picked up by the BIOS.

Frustratingly, when I use one of these [ame="http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320633312753&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]cheapo Dell PERCS[/ame], with tape on pins 5&6, it boots just fine. Except that I wanted to use 8 x mobo ports, 4 x Sil 3114 ports, and then a couple of PERCS, and I'd be happy.

Here are my questions (SAS noobness not in doubt):
1. Is the SATA fanout cable a one way street i.e. OK going SAS ==> 4 x SATA, but not 4 x SATA ==> SAS ?
2. If #1 is yes (one way street), then would appreciate suggestion on better path:
a) try to find a mobo with 6 x 4 lane PCI E slots, so I can populate with the Dell PERCs, or;
b) bite the bullet and get some proper SAS expansion cards (the wife will love me), or
c) is there a Plan C ? (other tricks I'm not across).

Many thanks in advance.

Breakout cables are directional. You need a reverse cable with your current setup. Instead of looking for a board with 4 x PCIe x8, I would just get a board with integrated SAS and then add in a SAS expander.

Breakout cables are directional. You need a reverse cable with your current setup. Instead of looking for a board with 4 x PCIe x8, I would just get a board with integrated SAS and then add in a SAS expander.
Many thanks Blue Fox. I've ordered a couple of the Norco part number cables (C-SFF8087-4S) -- hopefully that will get me rolling.

I presume that a board with integrated SAS would need to be supermicro or similar ? (if only newegg shipped to Oz ...)

Thanks again.

@DarthRay: I know about the CK30801. I had looked at that card when I was assembling my 100TB server since I had issues with the Areca HBA not being able to control the error LEDs in the Chenbro RM91250 chassis. It turned out to be a communication issue and was fixed via a firmware upgrade on the Areca controller.

Are you looking to buy or did you buy the Norco chassis already? If so, which one, the 4220 or the 4224?

If this expander chassis is for your home use, you should consider the noise level as the Supermicro chassis (and even the Norcos), are designed with commercial use in mind and hence they don't care how loud the fans are as long as they move enough air!

@shousto2: Would you mind posting a picture of the front of your 4224 for us please?

I believe that might be the new 4224 model (based on your description of the front) that Mike at Norco was telling me about a few month back...

Many tnx Treadstone for your input about the I2C things .
my case will come in next week i guess and lets see first how it works with the leds ,
otherwise there`s maybe some hope to connect homemade leds to the 2740 controller
but need info`s about that first which i cant find yet but i keep google lol
maybe some mod freak have done it yet already.
I still cant really understand why all the led pins on the card gives 3,25 volt
but there might be a good reason for that.
iI not going experimenting yet , want to be sure first i can put leds directly to the card or via resistors.

@Parcifal: I'll see if I can find a high res picture of your controller. Then I can tell you how you can hook up the LEDs. Also there can be many reasons why you see 3.25V on the LED header pins. Normally if a driver in a chip is supplying the power to the LED (sourcing current), the output will never be as high as the supply voltage due to the voltage drop across the transistors inside the chip. Another method is to have a current limit resistor between the supply voltage (e.g. 3.3V) and the LED header/connector (usually marked as +) and an open collector/drain type driver on another pin of the LED header/connector (usually marked as -). You would then hook up the LEDs anode to the + and the cathode to the -. The current limit resistor needs to be sized depending on what LED you want to hook up. Different colored LEDs have different forward voltage drops. They also differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. The LEDs intensity depends on how much current flows through it. Anyway, this is getting quite technical and OT... If you need some help, PM and I'll try and help you with that.

Well electronic isnt a problem for me, i born with the solder iron lol
i know a lot of it , learned myself since i was 13
you can be right , with no load on the pins the voltage can be higher , but i want to be sure what i am doing, as the informations are very less.
I dont wanna fry this expensive thing.
Most leds i see are 2,1 volt 20mA , so a litle resistor in serie should be better.
Soon i have holiday and i could take a try with some 4 pin fan connectors soldering some leds on it.
For the ground it seems that just the PSU blackwire or case metal is needed as there is no pin described for the common.

@DarthRay: I know about the CK30801. I had looked at that card when I was assembling my 100TB server since I had issues with the Areca HBA not being able to control the error LEDs in the Chenbro RM91250 chassis. It turned out to be a communication issue and was fixed via a firmware upgrade on the Areca controller.

100TB?! I bow to you, master. :D

Are you looking to buy or did you buy the Norco chassis already? If so, which one, the 4220 or the 4224?

I haven't bought anything yet. I'm trying to get everything set in my head first and the I'll go off and buy everything I need.

If this expander chassis is for your home use, you should consider the noise level as the Supermicro chassis (and even the Norcos), are designed with commercial use in mind and hence they don't care how loud the fans are as long as they move enough air!

I hear you. The Supermicro 746 in my home office is living proof of what you're saying -- I had to add a few Zalman fanmates to reduce the speed of those noisy fans and they are still loud. However, if I can get the new one to be about the same, I'd be ok with that.

Still on the original question though, assuming noise is not a concern, do you know of any reasons not to get the Supermicro 846?

Back